CP77 sold 13 million copies on all platforms including refunds

+
I don't claim to know how game industry works, but as an avid gamer I know other games that had low initial purchase price or even free to play with continual updates and add-ons with paid feature options. What I assume is that it is a numbers game. This number game is that they got 13 million players and if even 1 million spend $10 more = $$.
I'd imagine at this point it's worth continuing to develop those 13 mil players for some more dough.

I just said the same over at Beth, Fallout 4 total sales is 13.5 Million up to sometime in 2020, so they are pretty much neck and neck. Right now apart from PC and maybe the newer consoles there will be very few ongoing sales unless it does a FO76 and drops to $10 in a couple of months.

As someone has mentioned Bethesda, FO76 on day one was the actual train wreck some are calling Cyberpunk 2077, on PC 2077 is fine apart from the occasional CTD. Not seen a bug I think worthy of being bothered by but I have played Beth for 20 years so I'm used to them and the fact the minor ones are never fixed, even the bigger ones as well come to think on it.

Biggest problem I see would be following everything either the Dev said or the community fantasised (guessed) about. I avoid pre-release stuff and the forum hype. So for me the game is not such a disappointment compared to those who followed every thing either CDPR said or believed every rumour. it's an average game right now, nothing great thus far but perfectly playable as just a 'game'.

When it's possible to immerse yourself into the World I may think differently, even reducing the CTD's could allow that to happen to some degree.

They should use that money to improve the game. Players have given CDPR so many good ideas for improving the game. I hope they listen.

I don't claim to know how game industry works, but as an avid gamer I know other games that had low initial purchase price or even free to play with continual updates and add-ons with paid feature options. What I assume is that it is a numbers game. This number game is that they got 13 million players and if even 1 million spend $10 more = $$.
I'd imagine at this point it's worth continuing to develop those 13 mil players for some more dough.
That's because of microtransactions and whatnot though. GTAV for instance made more money through microtransactions in GTA Online than all of the sales for the game together. Microtransactions that pretty much only consisted of in-game money (shark cards).

Hopefully fix the game and support it for years to come.

I hope they make 4 or 5 of these games in the next 15-20 years..

will always be held back by ps4 and xbox one. and with the amount of negative press this game has gotten its a better solution to just drop last gen and start anew.

Agreed 100%... I'm playing on a base X1 and haven't had issues, but I'm gonna upgrade to a top PC by spring for this.. they need to kill the last gen consoles altogether. don't waste time with that BS, improving that is just clogging up the timeline of what the game could become. tell the poor people to suck it and get money or f off and then move forward without them.

Just because people can't make the correct decisions to move their life in a forward projection doesn't mean Cyberpunk 2077 should suffer. If people are bringing you down instead of lifting you up, they aren't loyal supporters anyway, to hell with them.

They shouldn't even offer refunds, because the game isn't broken on console, the players with errors are incompetent.

they would be polishing a turd at this point, sorry for the expression. fix the bugs sure, but dont waste resources on any DLC imo, people are already very negative on this game, also all DLC needs to work on xbox one and PS4 imo just skip it, and go CP2 for nexgen systems.

you know i really didn't plan on jumping in on this... but since you apparently spam your opinion, that cdpr should just drop CP77 in almost every thread i looked at, i feel obligated to strongly disagree... i get that you feel that fixing this game is impossible for you and that any attempt to do so would waste time an resources which would be better spent on CP2 (i feel the same about the console versions) but that just doesn't change that fact that this would basically end cdpr reputation for good! The only way they can get their reputation at least in part back is by fixing the game beyond the bugs and the performance. There simply won't be a sequel if they fail to proof that they can do such a game in the first place!

Last edited:
Yeah, well. 780 000 000 on 13 million copies each costing 60 dollars. That is a lot of money sure.

But the investors has lost on their investments and that is even worse, since CDPR lost about 1 billion or as of now if im not mistaken about 1.8 billion in stock worth. If you bought stocks 2 years ago and sell them now, you would get less back and lose money.

Losing money at a launch of a game this big, those sold copies wont matter. It is a real gamble now for investors to keep their shares. Most investors sold their shares at day one because most knew the stock value would fall harder than the nuclear hiroshima bomb.

they only lost money if they sold their share... if they kept it, it will recover, and such sales numbers will help with that tremendously...

If all they did to CP2077 was "polish" it with bug fixes and then dropped it for another 4+ year in favour of making a sequel, right here they'd lose atleast 1 customer who'd never buy a product, regardless of what it was, of them again.

That said there is absolutely ZERO chance of that happening and anyone who thinks there is or wants it to be so is nothing short of delusional.

What may happen, depending on numbers sold on current gen, is get it working to a decent state on xbox one and p4 and then do a Dragon Age: Inquisition and not develop any dlc for them systems going forward, which tbh would still piss me of because the game plays decently on the One X and regardless what anyone thinks it was constantly marketed for current gen with next gen upgrade not next gen with current gen downgrade

global top sellers: Cyberpunk in first, TW3, between 30...

CDPR has money left over to pay refunds, fix your game and still offer a lot of content to your community, preferably what your community has been wanting.

they would be polishing a turd at this point, sorry for the expression. fix the bugs sure, but dont waste resources on any DLC imo, people are already very negative on this game, also all DLC needs to work on xbox one and PS4 imo just skip it, and go CP2 for nexgen systems.

The way you talk about it, it’s like they should have abandoned TW3, too. TW3 was just as bad as 2077 at launch—you might not remember that—and they turned it into a good game.

CP2 will be DOA if they don’t fix 2077 and make it into the game they promised.

CP2 will never see the sales numbers 2077 did, especially with how they’d be viewed if they abandoned 2077 after just fixing bugs.

CP2 would be the death knell for CDPR, and would open them up to many lawsuits over selling them a game that wasn’t delivered as advertised.

CDPR would go under if they did that.

If all they did to CP2077 was "polish" it with bug fixes and then dropped it for another 4+ year in favour of making a sequel, right here they'd lose atleast 1 customer who'd never buy a product, regardless of what it was, of them again.

That said there is absolutely ZERO chance of that happening and anyone who thinks there is or wants it to be so is nothing short of delusional.

What may happen, depending on numbers sold on current gen, is get it working to a decent state on xbox one and p4 and then do a Dragon Age: Inquisition and not develop any dlc for them systems going forward, which tbh would still piss me of because the game plays decently on the One X and regardless what anyone thinks it was constantly marketed for current gen with next gen upgrade not next gen with current gen downgrade

Agreed. I’d swear off CDPR completely if they just abandoned 2077 after bugfixes.

And I’m pretty sure my fiancée would, too. Doubt most other people here would stay with them if they pulled this EA-esque move.

in 10 days almost half of what Witcher 3 sold in 5 years. Now imagine if the game delivered not all but most of the promises

it did, IMO. Its not perfect. But after 70 hours and still going, Ive enjoyed my time playing so far.

Agreed. I’d swear off CDPR completely if they just abandoned 2077 after bugfixes.

And I’m pretty sure my fiancée would, too. Doubt most other people here would stay with them if they pulled this EA-esque move.

From the games industry, all are the same, nothing I doubt, but here, among us, who in their right mind, after a long-awaited launch like the launch of the decade, would abandon a game knowing that it would generate much more controversy and problems?

I hope CDPR doesn't make that mistake. But, as I said, in this environment, anything is possible ...

it did, IMO. Its not perfect. But after 70 hours and still going, Ive enjoyed my time playing so far.
I have 130 hours in game (have not been crafting much... lucky me i could avoid safe game corruption so far) and i do like it (obviously no one spends 130 hours inside a game he/she doesn't enjoy) but that makes only harder to take that it is barely 20% as good as it could be... makes me genuinely sad!

From the games industry, all are the same, nothing I doubt, but here, among us, who in their right mind, after a long-awaited launch like the launch of the decade, would abandon a game knowing that it would generate much more controversy and problems?

I hope CDPR doesn't make that mistake. But, as I said, in this environment, anything is possible ...

Anything is possible with 2077 now.

They said there’d be nudity—only nudity is in the character creation sequence, iirc.

They said there’d be “graphic” sex sequences—don’t think that’s in there, either.

They said there’d be a really detailed story, where your life path and choices along the way mattered and would heavily impact the story. No need to say more on that. We all know where that stands right now.

They said you’d be able to walk through NC and just FEEL the city bristling with life. Yeah. It’s kinda dead.

They said “it will release when it’s ready”, and here we are.

They said they won’t censor the game (understood as meaning when you don’t click the “censored” option, etc). They censored the game so much that there’s basically no reason to play with censored mode off or on—or even have it, other than CC.

Now, they also touted that the one $60 purchase of the game would be just that—any DLC in the future would be free because they don’t like the current industry’s practice of milking the community dry. Wouldn’t be surprised if they reneged on that, too.

Abadoning the game, and missing out on selling 13 million more expansion packs? I do not think so.

Anything is possible with 2077 now.

They said there’d be nudity—only nudity is in the character creation sequence, iirc.

They said there’d be “graphic” sex sequences—don’t think that’s in there, either.

They said there’d be a really detailed story, where your life path and choices along the way mattered and would heavily impact the story. No need to say more on that. We all know where that stands right now.

They said you’d be able to walk through NC and just FEEL the city bristling with life. Yeah. It’s kinda dead.

They said “it will release when it’s ready”, and here we are.

They said they won’t censor the game (understood as meaning when you don’t click the “censored” option, etc). They censored the game so much that there’s basically no reason to play with censored mode off or on—or even have it, other than CC.

Now, they also touted that the one $60 purchase of the game would be just that—any DLC in the future would be free because they don’t like the current industry’s practice of milking the community dry. Wouldn’t be surprised if they reneged on that, too.

I think about the financial side. It is a giant market and, disappointing (even more) fans will be a terrible outlet. Even the most naive or those who don't care much about buggy versions ... Cyberpunk will always be remembered for the disaster of its release, under the conditions it was in. The press, even from my country (IGN) already talks about 'cut content' of the game.

The practice of 'pruning' content is old, it is part of this means of development, it depends on superior decisions, not on developers, these are the ones who get their hands in real job ... but there are the sub-heads, the administrators and here everything starts to change its shape to shareholders ...

What I can do is cheer, that's all, unfortunately. It's a dose, but unfortunately that's it ... ( google translate -_- )

Good news for fans and investors.
But whatever title they release next will most likely do poorly, because of the hit to their reputation, which would have more of a hit on further future releases.
It all comes down to it they can recover their PR image, and quick.

Good luck tho CDPR. I have the game, will stick with it... But seriously, get your shit together. You pushed it out early, so now your customers and critics demand more of you in a shorter time.

Hopefully the holiday sales (13m) will offset the lack of future sales due to the public image blunder... But in sure they had a risk management report before release, looks like it worked out

1.) The way you talk about it, it’s like they should have abandoned TW3, too. TW3 was just as bad as 2077 at launch—you might not remember that—and they turned it into a good game.

2.) CP2 will be DOA if they don’t fix 2077 and make it into the game they promised.

CP2 will never see the sales numbers 2077 did, especially with how they’d be viewed if they abandoned 2077 after just fixing bugs.

CP2 would be the death knell for CDPR, and would open them up to many lawsuits over selling them a game that wasn’t delivered as advertised.

CDPR would go under if they did that.
1.) It was? I bought day 1 on console and aside from some crashes, the game was fully functional. It certainly didn't drop to 10 fps and have textures that took upwards of two minutes to load in. It was also a feature complete game with amazing quests and narrative. The side quests were miles above anything in CP2077.

2.) Tons of other game studios have shown us exactly the opposite of your claim. Call of Duty sold around 80 million copies between their last two releases, which is around 50-60 million more than the two prior, despite being an annualized series with the same stuff tossed in and then abandoned shortly after launch. Plenty of other studios show us the exact same.

Bethesda barely sticks around to fix their games and ditch them every iteration. Hell, they resold Skyrim how many times with the exact same bugs that modders patched out? Literally the exact same game, with the exact same bugs. They still make a killing each launch and people go on to call Todd Howard a "Godd" despite lies and all.

Top Bottom