[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
You know that whole conversation earlier got me thinking. With outer worlds I complained, because it was an average RPG, that had only two real paths you could take - BUT IT WAS AN RPG. I am not too confident in Dragon Age, or ME4, but I had never thought they aren't going to be RPGs - maybe not good RPGs, but an RPG. CDPR was just like, "nah". And this is what we got. Garbage trash endings, and little to no player choice (98% nothing matter, right?).

I was actually reading a guide earlier while playing, because I was curious what my other options lead to.. let me pull it up..

This is pretty much the entire dialogue in this particular mission:

"> Both options have the same outcome. "

According to this guide. Lol! So, I tried it in game, because I was trying to follow kind of RP for my character, and yep! The NPC responds the exact same way, no matter what you choose. What a literal joke.

The main missions have no choices and hell I don't even think many side missions have any real choices. It is ridiculous and honestly this whole ordeal has made me really jaded towards the game and CDPR in general.

The main missions have no choices and hell I don't even think many side missions have any real choices. It is ridiculous and honestly this whole ordeal has made me really jaded towards the game and CDPR in general.
This game even makes it difficult to try to RP your V your own way. You either play the V they envisioned, or dialogue gets kind of.. off. It's incredibly annoying. It's like when I brought up the dialogue with the doll this morning, I was actually criticizing that it is a one way dialogue. After finding out I couldn't even be evil in this game, I had to adjust my corpo V's RP, and then I continuously have to adjust my RP, because of these.. "options".

You want to be a little less emotional in dealing with characters? Nope. I honestly don't even think you can be neutral/neutral in this game anymore. Neutral/Good - AT BEST.

To add, Geralt had more options in the way - and I'm referring to dialogue tone - he approached things. This game is incredibly limiting even for a set protagonist.

This game even makes it difficult to try to RP your V your own way. You either play the V they envisioned, or dialogue gets kind of.. off. It's incredibly annoying. It's like when I brought up the dialogue with the doll this morning, I was actually criticizing that it is a one way dialogue. After finding out I couldn't even be evil in this game, I had to adjust my corpo V's RP, and then I continuously have to adjust my RP, because of these.. "options".

You want to be a little less emotional in dealing with characters? Nope. I honestly don't even think you can be neutral/neutral in this game anymore. Neutral/Good - AT BEST.

To add, Geralt had more options in the way - and I'm referring to dialogue tone - he approached things. This game is incredibly limiting even for a set protagonist.

That's the sad truth. Honestly all the lies we were told before the game released really leave a bad taste in my mouth.

It's a sad day when Geralt a set protagonist is able to make more choices than V who was supposed to be shaped by the player. That isn't even mentioning the endings.

V just gets so shafted no matter what:facepalm:

In literally every way and I hate it :/

Last edited:
So I've just finished the Heist a second time, up to Jackie's funeral. Damn... got reminded why I feel so passionate about this game. The voice acting, cinematography, story telling. In my first playthrough I didn't see the funeral as I've sent Jackie's body to Vik's. And damn, that little sequence with Misty in Jackie's garage... does change my view on a few things.

I think one of the reasons why I felt so betrayed by the endings is because the game pays so much attention to details. Yet in the end, we weren't offered a sequence like you do with Misty in the middle of the story.

Maybe only in the nomad one. I'll be going for that ending this time.

Edit: also the ammount of foreshadowing in the game is just simply insane. So mant dialogues that I dismissed at the time as just filler conversations...

So I've just finished the Heist a second time, up to Jackie's funeral. Damn... got reminded why I feel so passionate about this game. The voice acting, cinematography, story telling. In my first playthrough I didn't see the funeral as I've sent Jackie's body to Vik's. And damn, that little sequence with Misty in Jackie's garage... does change my view on a few things.

I think one of the reasons why I felt so betrayed by the endings is because the game pays so much attention to details. Yet in the end, we weren't offered a sequence like you do with Misty in the middle of the story.

Maybe only in the nomad one. I'll be going for that ending this time.

Edit: also the ammount of foreshadowing in the game is just simply insane. So mant dialogues that I dismissed at the time as just filler conversations...

There is so much this game does right, it makes you care about the characters. That's why I can't understand how or why they just wrote 7 slight variations of the same ending. Maybe it leaves room for the DLC, lets hope so but still.

and i thought jackie's body would always get jacked by those corpo shits... didn't know we'd get an actual funeral giving the body to the family right away. at the time i was hoping vik could plug up the holes, and clean him up a bit first.

---makes me want to try again, almost... i'm not going to start from scratch with all the bugs unfixed and everything.

--- maybe i can find a trainer or something and make my own new-game+

and i thought jackie's body would always get jacked by those corpo shits... didn't know we'd get an actual funeral giving the body to the family right away. at the time i was hoping vik could plug up the holes, and clean him up a bit first.

---makes me want to try again, almost... i'm not going to start from scratch with all the bugs unfixed and everything.

--- maybe i can find a trainer or something and make my own new-game+
Only if you send it to Vik.
Also NG+ will come for sure, they market a game for replayability and don't add ng+? :ohstopit:

20201222221546_1.jpg

If you look at it from the outside, V is a character that either made the corpos much stronger, brought a terrorist back to life, or left many deaths/destruction behind. Does anyone want such character to live? probably not. But, that is because cdpr turned V into a fucking loser. The moment V didn't find a full cure, is the moment the story became not about V.

Perhaps, this story has never been about V in the first place, it was about some random punk bringing closure to the story of a real protagonist — Johny. Story, starting long, long ago, in "Never Fade Away" adventure of Cyberpunk 2020.
A couple of words about the endings. The longer i read, watch and play different stories, the less sympathy i has for heroes, who willingly choose the path of violence. Yes, i know it is cyberpunk, the world where violence is part of life. Still, there is big difference between common working folk (a majority of population), reaching for the gun only to protect themselves and loved ones, and street samuraj, killing and stealing for money. Yeah, the could only kill and steal the "bad" guys, but still, life of violence naturally leads to violent and early death. And yes, sometimes you fail no matter how hard you try. This is the lesson we all should remember, i think. Remember another cyberpunk story — Blade Runner movie. Roy killed many people and gambled everything only to reveal in the end that he is absolutely powerless to prolong his life. And then he spends his last breath to save Rick, his enemy.

That said, wouldn't mind at least one good ending, though i, for myself, prefer peacefull working heroes, such as potato farmer from "Martian".
Post automatically merged:

Is this the message of this game? I am worthless? i created V, spent time od side stories connecting to my V to win death? Thanks CDPR more depresion in this truly and magical year is what I was missing

Well I hope they are bright enough to understand that "I want happy endw and wish for option for a happy end is a same thing. If not I really wont know what to think
A good message. Yes, as individuals, we are all powerless and worthless. Only through shaking off the national differences common people can unite and end the tyranny of capitalism.

Alt
Causing a satelitte to fall is literally a matter of activating some alignment thrusters to drop it out of orbit, gravity and friction does the real work.

Hacking drones, and cameras, doing minor quick-hacks (which get absurdly whack if you spec into intelligence) these aren't ground breaking things. Alt is very powerful true, but this doesn't mean she can interact with the chip in a way that allows her to directly control the nanites. If Alt could have done that it would've been done, but I would assume the damage to the chip made that route impossible.

So the alternative was to remove Johnny's construct, and your 'mind', have the nanites go dormant (due to no longer having a purpose) and have Hellman/machines repair/fix your body while you're out of it. Issue being, time, you ran out. A 'merge' ending could be neat, but could end up feeling like a massive cop out.
Alt probably doesn't want V to survive as human. She repeatedly insists on him coming with her. V in his body is useless and meaningless to her. Remember, she is not a human anymore, she thinks differently.

Last edited:
About half way through the story I had worked out an ending I thought would be pretty satisfying. At the end of your ordeals you find someone who can remove the chip and stop the nanobots from eating your brain, but the damage is irreversible. You are healthy and no longer dying, but Johnny is now a permanent part of your mind.

This ending would have flowed well with a lot of conversations about whether V is still really V or if they are already adapting Johnny's personality traits. It would also allow the player to keep playing in the open world after the main story as it would be expected for Johnny to continue popping in and out.

Even more so, It could have unlocked the blank Attribute tab with a skill set focused on taking advantage of your shared personalities. Maybe something like the Cold Blood skill tree, but with flair. You get the fancy reload animations from the Johnny flashbacks and other details.

One thing we know for sure is that CDPR will notice the drop in number of daily players, as well as the low number of players going for 2nd playthroughs, which you can obviously attribute to the ending.

Let's kill the protagonist of the game and just watch a bunch of cutscenes, or let AI play the game for us (nonexistent). WHAT A GREAT IDEA! CDPR SHOULD HIRE YOU!

We don't know how the game will evolve, we don't know if there will be a sequel to Cyberpunk, I hope so, as we are not if there will be a DLC. Therefore it is not senseless to think at this moment about the death of the main character. But I repeat without the real final scene of CyberPunk, where V is supposed to die, the hypotheses are open to a thousand solutions.[/automerge]

We don't know how the game will evolve, we don't know if there will be a sequel to Cyberpunk, I hope so, as we are not if there will be a DLC. Therefore it is not senseless to think at this moment about the death of the main character. But I repeat without the real final scene of CyberPunk, where V is supposed to die, the hypotheses are open to a thousand solutions.
I do believe they have said that they wanted a second IP to bring forward aside from TW (even though it won't be called TW) so it's safe to assume they'll do just that, it's time and money consuming to find a new IP each time, acquisition of rights cost, ideas etc. take time to develop.

On another note, I was thinking about how similar the future of CP may look to Metro Exodus plotline.
Major Metro Exodus spoilers ahead including ending.
So basically in Exodus you find out everyone in the metro other than the higherups have been duped and find out life prospers outside so you set out to find a spot where it's not a radioactive hellhole, in literally I believe the first act, Anna, your wife, goes into a bunker that holds a bunch of toxic gasses, passes 'tf out and basically gets cancer or some sort of terminal lung disease.
The "Run around the world and find the place to live happily ever after" plot changes to "Find a cure at all costs." and then swaps back to the original goal.
Now, the resemblances might be to travel around the world with your nomad gang to find a cure at all costs to live happily ever after (even though that won't happen).
Then again this would only make sense with one ending even though it wouldn't be too far fletched for others either, clearly if Arasaka/Alt can't help you then you'd fuck off and find a way instead of accepting it, unless the whole "Underdog survival" plot just doesn't matter anymore out of a sudden, as if V would like dying as king of NC without even -trying- to find a cure and completely giving up.

Guess it's just me then, but i have no problem with the endings, even if found them to be somewhat upsetting at first.
If i want V to live i can choose to go with Alt beyond the black wall or stay in Mikoshi with Arasaka.
If i want V to return to the love interest or career, V has six months to live happily with a newly found family or pull the biggest space heist in history. (fading away or going out in a blaze if you will)
I agree that the 6 moths timer feels a bit arbitrary and unnecessarily grim-dark, but i guess it works as a cliffhanger for DLC.
Even if it's not, I'd still think these are good and fairly diverse options in the end.

Guess it's just me then, but i have no problem with the endings, even if found them to be somewhat upsetting at first.
If i want V to live i can choose to go with Alt beyond the black wall or stay in Mikoshi with Arasaka.
If i want V to return to the love interest or career, V has six months to live happily with a newly found family or pull the biggest space heist in history. (fading away or going out in a blaze if you will)
I agree that the 6 moths timer feels a bit arbitrary and unnecessarily grim-dark, but i guess it works as a cliffhanger for DLC.
Even if it's not, I'd still think these are good and fairly diverse options in the end.
They are fairly diverse.. Except it boils down to being alive for 6 months, being snapped into an AI prison or being handicapped/suicide. Then.. It's not -that- diverse, the execution is diverse yeah, the outcome is the same pretty much.
Alt would absorb you, Arasaka would never let you leave Mikoshi.
Suicide/vegetable state, I don't have to explain this.
6 months to live in multiple endings.
^And this comes from someone who had Star ending with all happy sidechars, happy romance etc etc, I like my ending, the 6 months thing doesn't bother me unless they won't do a sequel where it's possible to recover (or not), dying offscreen is just ugh.

Right, and 6 months may look terrible for us, players, but perhaps not for street samuraj of Night City, with low level of life. Their average life expectancy is about 30, i guess, and street samuraj career is risky and dangerous? Instead of Relic problem V could be so horribly mutilated or ill that no available to V resources could heal him, leaving him disabled ruin.
But nooo, a majority of players still want happily hereafter.

I understand why most of you guys hate him. I mean Johnny isn't exactly likeable at first or at all depending on how you treat him. But I actually really started to like him near the end of the game.

To be fair It's not like he has any choice in the matter of the chip killing you and actually tries to help you stop it.

And there are bits in the game where l felt he had changed somewhat. For example his side quest where you visit his grave he admits he ruined every good thing in his life and everything he did was rendered pointless in the end anyways. He fucked up everything and in that moment he feels it.

After that mission he can even express concern for V. In my game after I did his other side quest where you let him do one last concert with his crew he tells you how he regrets it. He says something along the lines of this was a mistake and I shouldn't have requested this because in the time it took to do all this for V we could've done something to stop the chip.

I just wish they could've followed all this through in an end where Johnny redeems himself of something. Fulfills his promise to V that he gave with the dogtags and wipes himself to save V.
See, this is one of my main issues with the Johnny ending: he always talks about how he changed, how he learned from V because they share each other's memories, how he is sorry, etc.
But he is all talk, no walk. He never does anything that shows how he is changed:
  • He still raises and shakes his fist every 5 minutes, screaming "Arasaka!"
  • He constantly talks down on you and your decisions because he beliefs he is the only one that gets it
  • He never cares for anybody, but his revenge. Great examples are character sidequests, like Judys ("Just eat the Pizza and get out of here).
  • He wants to reunite his band one last time, even though V is on borrowed time and should act fast
  • The whole scene after you give him control to talk to Rogue. Wow. Wonder why I never trusted him in the first place

Right, and 6 months may look terrible for us, players, but perhaps not for street samuraj of Night City, with low level of life. Their average life expectancy is about 30, i guess, and street samuraj career is risky and dangerous? Instead of Relic problem V could be so horribly mutilated or ill that no available to V resources could heal him, leaving him disabled ruin.
But nooo, a majority of players still want happily hereafter.
Okay, I don't know the average life expectancy for solos, I'll admit to that, but from an artistic point of view: Why would you give your players the role of an average joe? Why not of an actual Legend. Why not let your player become someone like Morgan Blackhand, like Rogue, like BoaBoa, etc.
Just because you want to make a point about how dystopian Cyberpunk is? You can show that without killing your players.
Look at Rogues story, how she is the only one that survived the attack on Arasaka, and how, even though she is the "Queen of the Afterlife", her past haunts her. What she had to do, in order to survive. That does not seem like some super happy story to me, but she still lives/lived a long life.

I don't need some "ride off in the sunset" ending, but an ending that forces me to load a save before the final mission, in an RPG, after rushing me through the second act, thus breaking my immersion, cannot be a good ending in my opinion.

Last edited:
See, this is one of my main issues with the Johnny ending: he always talks about how he changed, how he learned from V because they share each other's memories, how he is sorry, etc.
But he is all talk, no walk. He never does anything that shows how he is changed:
  • He still raises and shakes his fist every 5 minutes, screaming "Arasaka!"
  • He constantly talks down on you and your decisions because he beliefs he is the only one that gets it
  • He never cares for anybody, but his revenge. Great examples are character sidequests, like Judys ("Just eat the Pizza and get out of here).
  • He wants to reunite his band one last time, even though V is on borrowed time and should act fast
  • The whole scene after you give him control to talk to Rogue. Wow. Wonder why I never trusted him in the first place

Okay, I don't know the average life expectancy for solos, I'll admit to that, but from an artistic point of view: Why would you give your players the role of an average joe? Why not of an actual Legend. Why not let your player become someone like Morgan Blackhand, like Rogue, like BoaBoa, etc.
Just because you want to make a point about how dystopian Cyberpunk is? You can show that without killing your players.
Look at Rogues story, how she is the only one that survived the attack on Arasaka, and how, even though she is the "Queen of the Afterlife", her past haunts her. What she had to do, in order to survive. That does not seem like some super happy story to me, but she still lives/lived a long life.

I don't need some "ride off in the sunset" ending, but an ending that forces me to load a save before the final mission, in an RPG, after rushing me through the second act, thus breaking my immersion, cannot be a good ending in my opinion.

True to some point, but, again in my opinion, regular Joe is unjustly forgotten. He deserves stories, at least because we all are like him — regular working folk, not some guns for hire dreaming of become legend (which sounds outright childish to me). The probability to become legend or at least retire in wealth and respect (as Rogue) is around 0,001%, vast majority of adventurers dies young without glory. None of us is special.

Top Bottom