HELP!!!! My game is crashing!

+
HELP!!!! My game is crashing!

I am playing The Witcher Enhanced Edition and it keeps crashing on me, I can play for about 40 mins-2 hours and then it will crash. Usually, I notice it lagging before it crashes, although last night I also noticed that my map went black. I have no idea what is going on, I am just saving my progress like every 5 mins so that way I dont lose 2 hours of gameplay like I have in the past. I love this game, it is just super frustrating that it keeps crashing. Can anyone help me? I am running Windows Vista, I don't know if that makes a difference.

For me I just right click on the icon and select 'troubleshoot compatibly'. It will run tests as to which OS is the best.

Try using the "3gb memory trick" described on this forum and other places - it did the trick for me when my TW1 crashed regularly... I'm using Vista, so perhaps it will work for you too?

princessofantar said:
I am playing The Witcher Enhanced Edition and it keeps crashing on me, I can play for about 40 mins-2 hours and then it will crash. Usually, I notice it lagging before it crashes, although last night I also noticed that my map went black. I have no idea what is going on, I am just saving my progress like every 5 mins so that way I dont lose 2 hours of gameplay like I have in the past. I love this game, it is just super frustrating that it keeps crashing. Can anyone help me? I am running Windows Vista, I don't know if that makes a difference.
hope you run Vista Service Pack 2 or the latest & disable in game Autosave
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed
do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

You have old graphics drivers: 187.66, from 2007. That can't be helping. Slow failures like that smell of driver faults or memory leaks. Updating the drivers is where I'd start. And be sure you're up to date on Vista: Service Pack 2, as Licaon_Kter advised.

The HP notebooks that used that GPU typically came with 2GB RAM; if that's what you have, the 3GB trick won't do any good.

Yeah I have 2gb RAM. I have tried updating drivers, HP tells me to do it all the time but every time it tells me to update my computer does this weird freeze. It's not actually freezing because I can click on things but nothing loads and I cant even shut the computer down normally, the options to shut down disappear when I try to click on them. How can I update drivers if HP won't let me?

That sounds like you picked up a virus somewhere along the way, that or something about your computer is intentionally interfering with administrative actions. I have a recalcitrant HP that tends to hang on application installs unless you boot into safe mode. I've also seen cases where the UAC prompt comes up behind another window, and you end up thinking the machine is hung.

Have you tried getting drivers direct from nVidia instead of using HP's crappy updating tool? Just go to nVidia's Web site and pick the driver for your OS and graphics card.

Awsome, I will try that and let you know if anything happens. I did just play for almost 2 hours straight and it never crashed but on occasion it has gone longer than 2 hours. We will see. Thanks!

Top Bottom