These disappearing cars and the game's overall draw distance and pop-in is killing my vibe. [PC VERSION]

+
Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but man does it need some serious draw distance improvement as well as more sets of distant LODs for things like neon lights, advertisements, road decals, signs, the list goes on. I have the game graphics settings cranked in 4K with ray tracing off. I've seen better draw distance with less pop in on medium to low settings in other open world games from 7 years ago. I won't get started on the GTA and RDR2 comparison rants here, but come on. CDPR can do better than this. We need a different version of the game for PC. I feel like the last gen consoles held this game back from it's potential on PC. I quit playing the game as of today in hopes a better version of the game will exist next year. I hope CDPR will rise from the ashes of this terrible release and make this game all it can be soon.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but man does it need some serious draw distance improvement as well as more sets of distant LODs for things like neon lights, advertisements, road decals, signs, the list goes on. I have the game graphics settings cranked in 4K with ray tracing off. I've seen better draw distance with less pop in on medium to low settings in other open world games from 7 years ago. I won't get started on the GTA and RDR2 comparison rants here, but come on. CDPR can do better than this. We need a different version of the game for PC. I feel like the last gen consoles held this game back from it's potential on PC. I quit playing the game as of today in hopes a better version of the game will exist next year. I hope CDPR will rise from the ashes of this terrible release and make this game all it can be soon.

This CAN be changed in the .ini file via "Draw Distance Boost" mod, or do the following manually:

Create a text file called DrawDistanceBoost.ini (any name works) under "Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc"
Then add the following:

[Streaming]
DistanceBoost = 42.000000

The default value for the vanilla game is 0
Can be decreased or increased as desired, high values such as 50~ and above start to create flickering (this may be fixable if other settings get tweaked).

With a high draw distance though, be prepared for an fps hit. I'd suggest testing a lot to find your sweet spot between performance and visuals.

This CAN be changed in the .ini file via "Draw Distance Boost" mod, or do the following manually:

Create a text file called DrawDistanceBoost.ini (any name works) under "Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc"
Then add the following:

[Streaming]
DistanceBoost = 42.000000

The default value for the vanilla game is 0
Can be decreased or increased as desired, high values such as 50~ and above start to create flickering (this may be fixable if other settings get tweaked).

With a high draw distance though, be prepared for an fps hit. I'd suggest testing a lot to find your sweet spot between performance and visuals.
No, that does not fix the issues and only extends the draw distance by the littlest amount while corrupting your save files. It causes other objects not to load in properly. Sometimes entire buildings. I used it for a while and it caused more issues than fixed. Highly do not recommend using that ini edit.

No, that does not fix the issues and only extends the draw distance by the littlest amount while corrupting your save files. It causes other objects not to load in properly. Sometimes entire buildings. I used it for a while and it caused more issues than fixed. Highly do not recommend using that ini edit.
I've been using it for over 100 hours of gameplay, save files are still under 5 MB and no signs of corruption. All my own testing and others indicates the save file corruption is directly linked to the crafting system and nothing (or little) else. Maybe the quick saves, but that has not been confirmed.

Whatever caused your corruption I doubt it was this change. Its not really the way to do it anyway as the boost only applied to some stuff. to push the draw distance right out and kill your FPS use this instead

[Streaming]
MaxNodesPerFrame = 1600
MinStreamingDistance = 150.000000
ObserverMaxAirVehicleForwardVelocity = 99999.000000
ObserverMaxNonAirVehicleForwardVelocity = 99999.000000
ObserverMaxOnFootForwardVelocity = 99999.000000
RadiusNearInvMult = 1.000000
TimeLimitAttachingPerFrame = 1.600000
TimeLimitSectorLoadPerFrame = 4.000000
TimeLimitSectorUnloadPerFrame = 1.000000
TimeLimitStreamedPerFrame = 8.000000
TimeLimitStreamedPerFrameWhileLoading = 18.000000

I've been using it for over 100 hours of gameplay, save files are still under 5 MB and no signs of corruption. All my own testing and others indicates the save file corruption is directly linked to the crafting system and nothing (or little) else. Maybe the quick saves, but that has not been confirmed.
Parts of the world won't load in correctly while using this. Either you didn't notice or your setting is so low it's only making about a 10 foot difference. I tested it out with multiple values and it barely puts a dent into the pop in issue. If you have it set at 42.0000 (the current default. It was 60.0000 before) it barely makes a difference. Take screenshots for comparison and you'll see. Again this issue needs to be address by CDPR, not modders playing with an ini file.
Post automatically merged:

Whatever caused your corruption I doubt it was this change. Its not really the way to do it anyway as the boost only applied to some stuff. to push the draw distance right out and kill your FPS use this instead

[Streaming]
MaxNodesPerFrame = 1600
Again, this needs to be addressed by CDPR and not modders playing with an ini file.

[Streaming]
MaxNodesPerFrame = 1600
Again, this needs to be addressed by CDPR and not modders playing with an ini file.

[Streaming]
MaxNodesPerFrame = 1600
I will still try this out however. Thanks.

[Streaming]
MaxNodesPerFrame = 1600
This did nothing but make it worse. My FPS was the same. Billboards and light sources either popping in or straight out glitching out. The cars headlights and tail lights were disappearing when I got closer to them. Where did you get the suggestion to change all these values? Also were you saying to use these WITH the DistanceBoost or without it?

Last edited:
LOD (2) - Load Over DIstance x some tech to create a ilusion of distance

It is easy or would be, to get around this with a simple 'fade in, fade out' in the animation line of any path. The idea was to create the illusion of intense traffic in a megalopolis. I don't know, precisely, what technique they used in CP, but it must be polished over time.

Crowd remains one of the most difficult techniques for engines, involving many variants, from physics / collision (in particular, cities) to 2D animações. It is also a theme of discussions in Unreal and Unity engines, respectively too.

[Streaming]
MaxNodesPerFrame = 1600
Yeah this is terrible advice. This happened when fast-travelling...
Untitled.jpg

Cyberpunk2077 Director's Cut Cut GOTY Edition Deluxe.

It can still win GOTY 2021, since it will be released next year for Series X and PS5 with fresh Metacritic ratings. Hopefully they will not make the same mistake twice

Yeah this is terrible advice. This happened when fast-travelling...

Lower min streaming distance until your PC can handle it. that doesnt happen to me.

Also dont use this with the boost thing. that will definately make the glitch you showed happen

drawdist.png

After fast-travelling to the city center with the same settings. as you can see it doesnt glitch for me

crowds.png

And I have also maxed out both traffic and crowd density to put more stress on it :p

Last edited:

Guest 4478408

the 2d vehicles shown at a distance indeed look terrible. what makes it so bad is that the 3d traffic is so much ligher and that even on empty roads heavy traffic pops in and out at a distance.

i bet with (much) denser traffic this effect was actually quite good. its odd. where the effect is most annoying, in the desert, performance is also least of an issue. just populate the road, issue fixed.

the 2d vehicles shown at a distance indeed look terrible. what makes it so bad is that the 3d traffic is so much ligher and that even on empty roads heavy traffic pops in and out at a distance.

i bet with (much) denser traffic this effect was actually quite good. its odd. where the effect is most annoying, in the desert, performance is also least of an issue. just populate the road, issue fixed.

Yeah it looks silly out in the badlands, it like they have one config for that long-distance traffic thats used all over the world. its harder to spot in the city because it blends in much better

Everyone who doesn't have a $1,500 PC has complained about the FPS from day one,
If CDPR doubles all the draw distances and the FPS tanks 30-40% every college kid with a cheap "gaming" laptop is going to have an aneurysm.

Everyone who doesn't have a $1,500 PC has complained about the FPS from day one,
If CDPR doubles all the draw distances and the FPS tanks 30-40% every college kid with a cheap "gaming" laptop is going to have an aneurysm.
Not hard to put extra settings in the menu is it?

W
Lower min streaming distance until your PC can handle it. that doesnt happen to me.

Also dont use this with the boost thing. that will definately make the glitch you showed happen

View attachment 11109767
After fast-travelling to the city center with the same settings. as you can see it doesnt glitch for me

View attachment 11109761
And I have also maxed out both traffic and crowd density to put more stress on it :p
Well yeah if you turn all of those other settings up but don't use the distance boost you're going to have the same pop-ins as before. I used it with and without the boost, and didn't have any issues till I used the boost with it. Do me a favor and post a screenshot of you using your user.ini and one without using it. I bet they will look pretty similar because when I used your settings without the distance boost, it looked the exact same for me. No changes. Your screenshots look like you have things on lower settings and I got a feeling you're not getting anything different. Still had the horrible pop-ins while driving fast. Nothing looked improved. I already have the game's graphic settings cranked with RTX off. Point is, CDPR needs to do something about it. These ini edits aren't going to do much except cause people to gitch out their games.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, I don't know how hard it would be to put in different view/render distance settings for this particular game/engine.
It's probably very possible though and yes I would like to see it.

Guest 4478408

i dont think the draw distance is the issue here, but the effect that is just looking bad in certain areas.

I had something similar happen where every car just disappeared into thin air when it got within 50metres or so. Like the opposite of a draw distance problem. Watched for ages as hundreds of vehicles travelling towards me in the distance just disappeared before getting too close lol

Not hard to put extra settings in the menu is it?

W

Well yeah if you turn all of those other settings up but don't use the distance boost you're going to have the same pop-ins as before. I used it with and without the boost, and didn't have any issues till I used the boost with it. Do me a favor and post a screenshot of you using your user.ini and one without using it. I bet they will look pretty similar because when I used your settings without the distance boost, it looked the exact same for me. No changes. Your screenshots look like you have things on lower settings and I got a feeling you're not getting anything different. Still had the horrible pop-ins while driving fast. Nothing looked improved. I already have the game's graphic settings cranked with RTX off. Point is, CDPR needs to do something about it. These ini edits aren't going to do much except cause people to gitch out their games.

Sounds to me like your computers just crap at streaming. I dont have to prove anything to you I know what changes it made and how far out the spawn distance of world assets has been pushed from the original.

You just seem to want to complain. I mean what do you want, the entire world all loaded in one go without any streaming?

Theres a reason that game from 7 years ago had a big draw distance. The world was low res, the models were low res, the textures were low res and the object density was extremely low in comparison. It takes a fraction of the time to load such simple data structures from a disk in that old game compared to CP2077.

There are several methods of adjusting how the world is streamed in this game, Ive been playing with them for a long time now and it depends whats important to you and what you want loaded quick. I originally came into this thread to try and help you out but your attitude has put me off. bye

Top Bottom