The Time Factor - CP Online

+
The Time Factor - CP Online

One of the oldest MMORPGs - if not the oldest - still online, with a daily audience of around 27,000 players, is called EVE Online, created by CCP in 2003.

Without going into the merit, for now, of the style of the game, over the years it has won over hundreds of thousands of fans worldwide, most recently in Japan. With and through a bold design, it knew how to deal with the technological limitations of its time, or that is, using design to 'mitigate' any technical limitations. Something rare in the game industry today.

Its competitive mechanics were (and - in part - still are) based on 'time'. Here time is seen in a 'constructive' way, in acquiring the necessary skills to master elements of the game and gameplay.

IF ...

IF is the name and a personal project that I have, also set in a futuristic world, Sci-fi - but it questions other themes, although the critical focus on 'class' societies in history. But 'if' is also a 'conditioner'. What if time was used as the basis for progression in a supposed CP online game? What if everything was conditioned to time, 'without shortcuts', in a vast open world where gangs, corrupt institutions, mega-oligopolies, etc. dispute?

Well, I would not like this topic to be used to repeat what already exists in the forum, criticize CP Singleplayer - at least this one :) 'if possible'. (if moderation decide, can change to off topic)

IF is the name and a personal project that I have, also set in a futuristic world, Sci-fi - but it questions other themes, although the critical focus on 'class' societies in history. But 'if' is also a 'conditioner'. What if time was used as the basis for progression in a supposed CP online game? What if everything was conditioned to time, 'without shortcuts', in a vast open world where gangs, corrupt institutions, mega-oligopolies, etc. dispute?
I quite like your comparison to Eve Online as a basis for your Suggestion, it fits very well, I personally like the idea of a time based progression system, it's unbelievably immersive :), but(s).....and it's a massive but.....

1st BUT...... Time gated/Time sinks/Time walls whatever you want to call them have are seen as somewhat of a despised feature mainly to the fact they are paired with "pay to progress" mechanics , now I'm not suggesting that your suggestion features them, it's just the two are often paired, you can see where I'm going with this and with this being suggested as an online game....pitchforks will be brandished menacingly and assumptions made.

2nd BUT........ People often don't have time in their schedules/life to wait, people just want to get home, turn on the computer and play,people play games for amusement, if there was a timed progression feature that would turn off a lot of ppl, in a world where instant gratification now supercedes a sense of achievement through work and perseverence......we all know which one will win out, many will say it's being deliberately dragged out to prolong the time spent playing and to inflate player numbers..believe me, I see it all the time on the Bethesda forums.

Now the positive bit.... fuck me, the concept of your idea is vast and awesome!! I love it, not many will, but you have fan :)
The sheer possibilities is endless, even daunting to think about, let alone see it made, The whole Eve comparison and mega corps is scary :) there's some powerful ingame entities in Eve, to see that in a CP Online would be so fucking cool! I can imagine the gang wars now....The ppl who want to be cops being all Batman around Night City, The group of friends who create a rival to Trauma team and offer their services as healers for possible group content( dungeons for want of a better word).

Hell yea I like this idea! but many will not.

I quite like your comparison to Eve Online as a basis for your Suggestion, it fits very well, I personally like the idea of a time based progression system, it's unbelievably immersive :), but(s).....and it's a massive but.....

1st BUT...... Time gated/Time sinks/Time walls whatever you want to call them have are seen as somewhat of a despised feature mainly to the fact they are paired with "pay to progress" mechanics , now I'm not suggesting that your suggestion features them, it's just the two are often paired, you can see where I'm going with this and with this being suggested as an online game....pitchforks will be brandished menacingly and assumptions made.

2nd BUT........ People often don't have time in their schedules/life to wait, people just want to get home, turn on the computer and play,people play games for amusement, if there was a timed progression feature that would turn off a lot of ppl, in a world where instant gratification now supercedes a sense of achievement through work and perseverence......we all know which one will win out, many will say it's being deliberately dragged out to prolong the time spent playing and to inflate player numbers..believe me, I see it all the time on the Bethesda forums.

Now the positive bit.... fuck me, the concept of your idea is vast and awesome!! I love it, not many will, but you have fan :)
The sheer possibilities is endless, even daunting to think about, let alone see it made, The whole Eve comparison and mega corps is scary :) there's some powerful ingame entities in Eve, to see that in a CP Online would be so fucking cool! I can imagine the gang wars now....The ppl who want to be cops being all Batman around Night City, The group of friends who create a rival to Trauma team and offer their services as healers for possible group content( dungeons for want of a better word).

Hell yea I like this idea! but many will not.

Time never stops

To those who have heavy routines in real life, to those, this fact. What makes EVE impossible to be a popular game - or more popular - is its theme (point and click in a space environment). They dared when they made the headquarters, but took steps back when they extinguished it. Remember the 'open the door' campaign (so that there was a 3rd person inside the stations)?

What counts in any online game: interactivity between real people in a virtual world. That's the secret, that's why people engage, essentially, in an MMO. I think all about 'contexts'. Why do people do such and such a thing? There is a whole context here. In Japan, China, safeguarding their cultural differences and similarities, in the two Koreas, in the countries surrounding Asia, Europe, Latin America or the USA, Canada, etc ... people walk 'alone'. Immersed in some worlds and, of those, problems. Without much controversy here.

Time never stops - about the mechanics of the game. Another factor that prevented EVE from being popular was its form of financial maintenance. At least, between people, consumers. But on the other hand, because it has an open, competitive world, supported by its own real money, in another time, it gave EVE 'gas'. Some have spent a lot on the game. But that has brought other consequences and changes over the years. They had to back down, even the CCP.

Time never stops is the guarantee that the average person, with an office routine, study or factory work, will arrive at your home and see progression. These may lack the 'means' of having something (in game) that requires a certain investment in time, but it will have the 'basis'.

I was with Northern Coalition, one of EVE's biggest alliances and one of the strongest. I left the game because I had hopes for characters, but CCP took steps back when it extinguished the headquarters. I needed more 'human' content.

CCP was right on the time factor, but made a major mistake that, until today, prevents EVE from making bigger leaps: the human factor. An aspect that rare understand.

The thing is, Eve online is a game for spreadsheet generals, and the ingame economy is what keeps it going, I don't mean real world cash economy, I mean the endless cycle of ships being destroyed, WAR/PVP is the catalyst for Eve which fuels the endless routine of mining ores,turning them into metals, using metals to build ships, that's what keeps the great engine of war churning in Eve online,that grindy nature makes it seem like hard work, relentless..... hard....... work with not much to show for 100 hrs of grinding,it also has the luxury of expanding it's universe at whim, A CP online game is kinda limited, what great engine can cdpr churn to keep it running? and I somewhat disagree that Eve is an unpopular game, it has a very unique niche clientele, it does what it does for a very select breed of gamer and it does it very well indeed imo,but it's not for everyone.

The Human Factor

Now I will speak exclusively for myself. I've never been to Canada, but I know Canada's icy mountains. I have never been to Italy, to Rome, but I know the historical monuments, a little, even, of Roman history. Greece, with its various islands, even sailed through mythology. I have been to distant planets, I have seen an ionic planet growing before my eyes. I experienced the atmosphere of this giant, landed on its surface, left, from the flock of my ship and saw a sunrise like never before.

I did it all, in order: Microsoft Fly Simulator, Assassin Creed Ody, Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, Space Engine (game made by one guy, from Russia and game entirely procedural - he is a genius). I have a daughter, she is studying medicine. In The Withcer 3, I was able to review it (she looks like Ciri) and save it. I think I like the game for that.

Games allowed me to see what I didn't, to review what I lived ... I don't want to get into the merit here about real life vs. games. For me there are no contradictions, but complements if we know where to 'mine gold' (content).

- but there is another way ... 'fast food' (which is the trend in the game industry that will enter into the same logic as other industries, mere consumption and fast).

Top Bottom