Cyberpunk 2077 hands down best storyline

+
Table top is just one form of RPG, but I understand you are opinionated from the table top point of view and that only, and you can also be a pre defined character...

True. Very true. They're generally known as archetypes, and Shadowrun still has them. They're a great way to introduce new players to a game. But even these characters can be "made your own" as you play and progress. I'm glad you brought this point up, because in a way, that is what Cyberpunk has given us. 3 archetypes (streetkid,nomad,corpo) as a starting point for our own journeys through the game. In my second playthrough as my corpo Razorgirl, I finished the heist and just played through 3 scenes (all linked by a common theme), that I never saw as my streetkid Netrunner. From the way these scenes played out, the only reason I got to participate in them is because of the Corpo character's background relationship with Jackie. Also, there were quite a few choice spots in these scenes that could have changed how it played out.

The more I play this game, the more convinced I am that there are many layers to the dialogue. However, given our discussions, I've started to look at it with a more critical eye, and I think in a way we're both right. I believe the dialogue is multi-layered at certain parts of the game, branching off in multiple directions. But I also agree there are parts that are very much on rails, and the game could have been made so much better if there were branches of opportunity at those points as well (the bathroom scene after the Heist comes to mind). Let me know what you think.

I like the Story, it's a good one, but not the best out there.

It's been said before, but unfortunately we don't really have that much of a choice to play our character as we may have wanted them to play. I can agree, it's a bit edgy, but that may also come with the pretty pre-defined path the quests are taking.

On the other hand, regarding the endings: I personally like them.
BUT, as said before, I'd have liked it more if there would've been choices that lead to "very" (up to subjective opinions) different endings.

As few others also pointed out, I also think it feels rushed. Imho it needed to be more fleshed out to be more engaging with characters (e.g. the six month timeframe in the beginning).

I don't say it's bad, don't get me wrong!
But there is so much potential in the air, just the whole game reeks of it's massive still unused potential.

Story is good in the first hour. Then becomes very mediocre and too edgy, starts to smoke and burn during the Blackwall mission and ultimately falls off a cliff once we see the lame endings.
Makes sense... as I said, it*s probably a former side quest blown up to central story status. There just isn't enoug there to make it a proper main quest, though, so it all feels kinda "tryhard".

The story is good, yes. You either like or hate silverhands overbearing presence. My personal beef is the endgame, and the interactivity of the world. It's lacking, lifepaths are lacking, and out-of-story activities is lacking. I hope the DLC allows for a true immersive open world that's more if not 100% V focused.

I also want to be a corpo and put a ring on Hanako's finger.

But hey, a man can only dream

I suppose people expected a sandbox PnP-style RPG experience where you have ultimate freedom over every decision but I didn't pay attention to the games marketing and didn't go into the game with any suchs expectations. The game would have to be totally different or need another 5 years in development if people wanted voice lines and animated sequences and new quests for every single lifepath and decision. I think there would've been less disappointment and controversy if CDPR had not pushed the game as a "do anything you want" RPG.

Personally, I am blown away. I'm getting a post game depression after finishing it and seeing all the possible endings.
photomode_22122020_203634.jpg

For me its the best story/writing/characters I've seen from a video game in the last decade. Hell I'd say its better than most movies and novels.

I suppose people expected a sandbox PnP-style RPG experience where you have ultimate freedom over every decision but I didn't pay attention to the games marketing and didn't go into the game with any suchs expectations. The game would have to be totally different or need another 5 years in development if people wanted voice lines and animated sequences and new quests for every single lifepath and decision. I think there would've been less disappointment and controversy if CDPR had not pushed the game as a "do anything you want" RPG.

Personally, I am blown away. I'm getting a post game depression after finishing it and seeing all the possible endings.
View attachment 11108879

For me its the best story/writing/characters I've seen from a video game in the last decade. Hell I'd say its better than most movies and novels.

Watch better movies, read better books, play better games.

I think I see the issue here, on both sides of the line. I may be wrong, but it's basically coming down to this... potential. One side is willing to see the potential of the game, and be wowed by it. The other side sees the potential in it, and focuses more on the what could have been, instead of the what is.

Neither side is wrong or right (I admit I tend to favor the what could have been side) but it's basically two sides of the same coin. Very few are saying the game is garbage, it's just a disagreement over potential, and if a diamond is a diamond, even if it's rough.

I think people are just dissapointed with what was advertised and what was actually recieved. There seems to be a fair amount of mechanics and concepts that are cut and there doesn't seem to be a legitimate way to put them back into the game. The framework of the current game is not the same as what was advertised. Although I do agree that it's a beautiful and fun game, a diamond, it is not. Fugazi.

I think people are just dissapointed with what was advertised and what was actually recieved.

And this is why you never board the hype train. You will always be disappointed. Doesn't matter who is making what, if you decided to board that train you will always inevitably be disappointed when it reaches it's destination. I had only seen a couple of trailers before it was released and to me I got way more then I expected from it and while I do understand some people's disappointment gamers should know better by now and learn how to manage expectations. I am in no way defending anything CDPR may have done wrong with Cyberpunk 2077 but I mean seriously how many times do you have to do this to yourselves before you learn not to buy tickets for the hype train? I mean seriously companies of all types do this because it WORKS and its works cause people NEVER learn. So zero sympathies here for those who didn't get what they wanted. In this case gamers have only themselves to blame for enabling this kind of behavior over the years.

And this is why you never board the hype train. You will always be disappointed. Doesn't matter who is making what, if you decided to board that train you will always inevitably be disappointed when it reaches it's destination. I had only seen a couple of trailers before it was released and to me I got way more then I expected from it and while I do understand some people's disappointment gamers should know better by now and learn how to manage expectations. I am in no way defending anything CDPR may have done wrong with Cyberpunk 2077 but I mean seriously how many times do you have to do this to yourselves before you learn not to buy tickets for the hype train? I mean seriously companies of all types do this because it WORKS and its works cause people NEVER learn. So zero sympathies here for those who didn't get what they wanted. In this case gamers have only themselves to blame for enabling this kind of behavior over the years.

True. I haven't preordered a game in a decade.

I’m all relatively new to CD Projekt Red and I gotta say wow they make one hell of a game. I found myself immersed in this game for hours on end not wanting to put it down, side jobs to storyline done to a T. A friend of mine mentioned it before it’s release and said I had to get it I wouldn’t be disappointed and he was right.

I wanna start off with how short and crisp the beginning relationship between jackie and v started, some how they managed to grab my attention and emotion in mere minutes. I found myself linked to the main story line and wanting to see further into it, not gonna lie I had to try to dial myself back from it to learn more and see if I could potentially link other characters into the story and you damn very well could. I started to get to know Judy and panam, takamori and more. To be honest though Panam and the Aldecaldo’s really peaked my interest badass hot looking rebel girl and a bunch of badass outlaws to go with it. The entire run through with her is an emotional grasping to say the least. Really hoping they’ll bring more to their story through dlc.

As the story progresses and the biochip gets more and more intertwined through your nervous-system you begin understanding Johnny silver hand more and oh boy is that a grab on it’s own.didn’t get to play through his ending but I am going to for sure.

I’m glad I had a fresh set of eyes going into the game and not anticipating it to be a masterpiece every game has its issues and developers are constantly fixing things CD Projekt Red definitely deserves credit where it’s due. They can’t create a astronomical storyline you’re one the edge ofyour seat the whole way through and to be honest wasn’t disappointed once after my first play through had a great time!

Ah the blue pill it is. :cool:

So, since in game choice is a big part of the discussion here, I'd like to say that my second playthrough so far has led me to all kinds of different things that I never even encountered, let alone had a hint about on my first playthrough. For one example of this, I'm just going to post a name. Those of you who've encountered this, let me know. Needless to say I was laughing my ass off.

The name is: Sir John Phallustiff

Watch better movies, read better books, play better games.

To each their own, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I'm not gonna bother comparing our tastes to see what you would consider a better game story but I can't think of a single one from the past decade that matches 2077s (TW3 literally put me to sleep). And I haven't kept up with books or movies from the past decade but considering whats currently popular, I don't think the mediums have gotten any better either.

So, since in game choice is a big part of the discussion here, I'd like to say that my second playthrough so far has led me to all kinds of different things that I never even encountered, let alone had a hint about on my first playthrough. For one example of this, I'm just going to post a name. Those of you who've encountered this, let me know. Needless to say I was laughing my ass off.

The name is: Sir John Phallustiff

I almost fell the fuk out of my chair laughing when I found Sir John during my first playthrough. Also, I know what you mean, I am on my second play through and I haven't got through act 1 yet and am already seeing and experiencing things I didn't in my first playthrough. I think a lot of the complaints about player choice in the game might come from people possibly having to narrow of a view of what player choice is. Just my opinion though so don't go spreading it around :)

To each their own, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I'm not gonna bother comparing our tastes to see what you would consider a better game story but I can't think of a single one from the past decade that matches 2077s (TW3 literally put me to sleep). And I haven't kept up with books or movies from the past decade but considering whats currently popular, I don't think the mediums have gotten any better either.

You can enjoy whatever you like, it just sounds pretty arrogant to say that CP2077 is the best medium of the decade, be it a videogame or a movie. Arrogant and ignorant.

Top Bottom