Eureka! I figured out what is wrong with this game/story[Spoiler]

+
The story is about that, even with voices in the head at the end of the day before an imminent death you are alone.
It is no coincidence that the secret ending is about loneliness, if you die you die alone without dragging anyone else. Or that during the final mission, even in your head you are alone.
It is a story of loneliness, death and the cruelty that life can bring you at any moment even in your best moment.

in a
Good point.

Imagine Cyberpunk 2077 quest system in The Witcher 3.

You'll be always followed by a messenger in a horse, that fetches you with some: "Howdy, mr. witcher, Lord Shennanigan needs you to defeat this griffin over that mountain, but spare the griffins and the cows, to avoid the Demon Cow to apear. More details on the pigeon parchment".

But you never get to know who Lord Shennanigan actually is. Never talk to the guy and have 0 personal reasons to help him.

Imagine the Blood Baron quest in Cyberpunk 2077 format:
A messenger approaches Geralt while he is in the middle of a fist fight:
Messenger: "Hello, witcher, peasant words says that you're looking for a white haired girl, and that some baron out there might know where to look"
Geralt: "What do you mean by that?"
Messenger: "More details on the pigeon parchment"
Then the messenger flees.

But instead of money, Geralt get Ciri's location info.

Imagine that 60% of all side quests are all Geralt behaving in a passive way, and being told what the next job is by random messengers, and everytime he has to read some pigeon parchment.
in a normal case you have one Fixer you can trust.

I think the story is great as it is, the problem is it was too short and we've become attached to Cyberpunk, and have been ruminating our asses off until the point we're starting to see problems.

Clearly the story hit some nerve if we're still here discussing.

I think the story is great as it is, the problem is it was too short and we've become attached to Cyberpunk, and have been ruminating our asses off until the point we're starting to see problems.

Clearly the story hit some nerve if we're still here discussing.
Don't have too many problem with the story. A bit epic for cyberpunk but ok. And they retconned the Silverhand/Arasaka line (I'm not like this part). And short really short

Last edited:
Honestly, the fun part seems to be the six months we spent with Jackie and Mama Welles that's just a montage... I'm sad now.
Probably because that's what the game was supposed to be: Being a merc in Night City... not being a vehicle for Johnny Silverhand. Yea, I'm pretty much done with the game at this point, it's pretty obvious it isn't what it was supposed to be, and I doubt I can really have fun with it going forward, now that I know that. It's just to evident once you know what to look for...

Last edited:
I feel we would've have this thread or discussion if the "montage" was actually gameplay of about at least a few solid hours. No, they don't even have to be "consecutive" in ingame or "told time". Throughout the game you see at least small-scale cuts skipping a few hours, half a day, a day. Probably not much more.

This could've worked well even in a "full Act 1" where you do get to meet the characters shown in the montage and have some gameplay, and in-between there are smaller time skips. It would feel more wholesome and could be its own fifth, quarter or third of the game while perhaps weaving in more unique aspects of your lifepath.

It's moot to theorize about this all now of course, but as devs read the forums it could give tips for the next follow-up game or a potential DLC for this one down the line.

A montage like this one should be avoided for the next game unless it just fits into the scene or context. Here, it kind of does work to show you a time skip and what roughly went down. To be fair, it works in the way it does, it roughly tells you what went down.

At the same time, it seems people feel cheated or think this is basically what could've been gameplay as well. And in the context of the rest of the game, it feels a bit "inorganic". Especially as Corpo you don't even get "closure" to what went down. For a serious betrayal right before the montage you get interrogated and then "thrown out" on a hunch but I would imagine that someone working in this business wouldn't just be thrown out without hassle, given the information and people you know. This could've been shown or hinted at, with some harassment or buying yourself out of it or somehow applying pressure yourself so they leave you alone.

Similar coverage could've been added to the Streetkid lifepath (get back on the guy sending you into a failed theft) or the Nomad (selling the animal that likely ends up in Yorinobus apartment, etc).

I realize they had a closing time window as they re-did the game several times to my knowledge and had to get it out eventually, meaning you cannot add it all in a closing time window - otherwise they would've done it.

But it's vital to "take notes" now in order to tackle the issues that people nitpick or complain about this time to avoid them for the next great game.

And ideally, there is no time and resources wasted on re-doing the game X with major revisions and scrapping things. Ideally the path is set out from the start and clear throughout the journey so you can focus all the time just onto that and have something truly remarkable and with more player choices and options. Maybe even joinable factions - my dream, of sorts.

Man Act 1 is so misleading. Act 1 introduces you to several people and potential plot points and deludes you into thinking you have any agency over how this whole thing will play out. I was thinking about Evelyn's offer and whether I will betray Dex. I was thinking about how I could get Jackie and T-Bug in on the plan if I decide to go behind Dex's back. I was thinking about trying to fine information about what the hell Dex did to make him disappear for two years so I can make a more informed decision, or use this information against him in some way. I was thinking about how Militech could potentially aid me in the future with Meredith as my contact. I was thinking about so many angles and connections and lo and behold they amounted to jack shit. Get on that roller coaster Timmy, you are going for a ride on the rails.

God dammit. I gave them way too much credit. Don't get me started about all the interesting corporate espionage stuff going on with the Corpo lifepath that amounts to nothing. Or the fact that Nomad V never finds the remnants of his old family and receives closure with that, no do we find out what exactly happens. Or how the Streetkid lifepath abandons the interesting plot element of Inspector Stints letting you go because he also grew up in Heywood, and we never get to learn more about him, or what Jackie was doing and for who.

Bah. Whatever.

Man Act 1 is so misleading. Act 1 introduces you to several people and potential plot points and deludes you into thinking you have any agency over how this whole thing will play out. I was thinking about Evelyn's offer and whether I will betray Dex. I was thinking about how I could get Jackie and T-Bug in on the plan if I decide to go behind Dex's back. I was thinking about trying to fine information about what the hell Dex did to make him disappear for two years so I can make a more informed decision, or use this information against him in some way. I was thinking about how Militech could potentially aid me in the future with Meredith as my contact. I was thinking about so many angles and connections and lo and behold they amounted to jack shit. Get on that roller coaster Timmy, you are going for a ride on the rails.

God dammit. I gave them way too much credit. Don't get me started about all the interesting corporate espionage stuff going on with the Corpo lifepath that amounts to nothing. Or the fact that Nomad V never finds the remnants of his old family and receives closure with that, no do we find out what exactly happens. Or how the Streetkid lifepath abandons the interesting plot element of Inspector Stints letting you go because he also grew up in Heywood, and we never get to learn more about him, or what Jackie was doing and for who.

Bah. Whatever.
Damn I can feel your pain. What it would take to get you back on track as you started the game for first time?

If I had a chance to fix the prologue and characterization. T-Bug would have been given 3 missions. Vik 2, so we see why he's okay at trusting V paying him back. And probably 4 missions to Jackie/Misty. With a final mission that takes place before Dex, using T-Bug and Jackie together. Other additions, is to give two side missions to Placide and Sasquatch. Who could be extra companions for the final mission. If you get to befriend them. SOMETHING to make the gangs more useful.

If I had a chance to fix the prologue and characterization. T-Bug would have been given 3 missions. Vik 2, so we see why he's okay at trusting V paying him back. And probably 4 missions to Jackie/Misty. With a final mission that takes place before Dex, using T-Bug and Jackie together. Other additions, is to give two side missions to Placide and Sasquatch. Who could be extra companions for the final mission. If you get to befriend them. SOMETHING to make the gangs more useful.
It would be awesome if you could join a gang and after gaining their respect you could call them for reinforcement. Imagine all this sick shooting with epic combat music and then 2-3 more cars pulls off to help you. Sh*t just hit the fan! lol

It would be awesome if you could join a gang and after gaining their respect you could call them for reinforcement. Imagine all this sick shooting with epic combat music and then 2-3 more cars pulls off to help you. Sh*t just hit the fan! lol
That's what I thought CP was gonna do. They hype up the gangs and the world. I was like. I'm gonna pick the animals. Beat the crap out of anyone. Maybe can turn a gang memeber away from the gang. Take over the gang. Love interest for each gang. Take over areas San Andreas style. get special unlocks to their ripperdocs. And than... the Animals are the most under utilized gangs in the whole game. And your body can't be upgraded. *facepalm* Hoping for mods to save us from this fail.

I disagree and I don't give a shit about Jackie as a character, he was in the game for all but ten minutes, I remember in the funeral just going along with making a speech for my own role play purposes but in the back of my head thinking 'this is dumb I don't know this dude at all'. I mean am I really supposed to feel some sort of connection to V and Jackie when the whole of their relationship is condensed into a cutscene that you could probably miss if you sneezed too hard.

The story is perfectly told. The problem lies in your form of understanding.
no i think we do understand, but that still does not make the story good.
This kind of story you can gladly tell in a book or something like that and i would let it pass, hell, even call it good.
But for the game Cyberpunk as RPG? I really did expect MORE.
I feel like the Story is rushed, as if they just want to get over with it.

Look; This is Act 1. Now tell me this isnt rushed. Literally no character development for characters like Jackie, T-Bug and so on. Dont get me started on the Lifepath.
c1.PNG

Lets take a look at Act 2; Here we see a little bit character development / love interest quests, but besides that, theres again not much. Why are there not more quests that go into the different gangs in the city. In Act 1 we safe Sandra, a character with much potential that wasnt used.
c2.PNG

I dont even want to start on Act 3, literally the worst of them all, but it has to be done; Act 3 is an abomination in my opinion. They offer you so many endings, yet every ending is the same. Thats why you can scrap Act 3. In my opinion its non existent and the moment you are done with Act 2, you get to the last mission. That makes it what? 10 - 20 Quests that are for the Mainstory which some of them really arent that good.
c3.PNG

Im trying to love the game, but i cant even do that with nothing to do in night city except taking screenshots. Combine this with the fact that the story is also this short..
This is not a rant from me but i have to point out my disappointment and i cant see people defending it for no reason.

You are supposed to feel alone, that's the whole point... The whole game is trying to show you how hard and unforgiving a place Night City is, so you can understand why Johnny hates it so much. You literally have to leave its borders to find any semblance of "family" with PanAm and the nomads.

You are supposed to feel alone, that's the whole point... The whole game is trying to show you how hard and unforgiving a place Night City is, so you can understand why Johnny hates it so much. You literally have to leave its borders to find any semblance of "family" with PanAm and the nomads.
I get that, doesn't make it anymore contrived, though... literally railroading the player into what usually is the "bad path" in other games, just to make the point of your story work? Yea, that's not good RPG writing... heck, not even good game writing in general... it's a virtual movie with a side dish of busywork.

Top Bottom