Can CDPR learn from HL2?

+

Guest 4310777

Just finished reading THIS ARTICLE on the dramatic development of Half-Life 2.

Perhaps there are some parallels between the experience Valve was having in late 2003, and the experience CDPR is now having in late 2020. The obvious distinction being, that Valve chose to postpone the release of their game for an entire year (until late 2004) and endure immense financial and psychological pressure to ensure they eventually released what is now considered a timeless classic of the genre. What would the legacy of Half-Life 2 have been, if Valve had pushed for Sep 03? What could Cyberpunk have been, if CDPR had delayed until Dec 21?

This makes me reflect on how expensive and labour intensive modern game development has become, the stakes are obviously much higher now. In the age of digital distribution we see titles going to market in sub-optimal condition in order to fund their continued development post-release; will this become the new norm? Will customers tolerate it? The infamous "No Mans Sky" eventually managed to redeem itself, several YEARS after catastrophic launch failure.. however, getting Cyberpunk upto standard is a far more costly proposition for CDPR.

The company should make a public statement to customers and investors, as to their intentions going forward in 2021 and beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just raged quit b/c i died 7 times within 30-40mins from randoming exploding...
im just jumping around trying to do some police activities/farming... and i keep dieing just randomly
FROM NOTHING! BOOM 1 SHOT IM DEAD! B/C THE SPOT I STOOD ON ISNT A VALID SPOT OR SOMETHING!%!
REGULAR GAMEPLAY NO EXPLOIT JUST GOING FROM POINT A TO POINT GODAMN B...
IF YOU STEP ON A TENT WRONG YOU DIE...

*breathe*
*breathe*

Guest 4310777

I just raged quit b/c i died 7 times within 30-40mins from randoming exploding...
im just jumping around trying to do some police activities/farming... and i keep dieing just randomly
FROM NOTHING! BOOM 1 SHOT IM DEAD! B/C THE SPOT I STOOD ON ISNT A VALID SPOT OR SOMETHING!%!
REGULAR GAMEPLAY NO EXPLOIT JUST GOING FROM POINT A TO POINT GODAMN B...
IF YOU STEP ON A TENT WRONG YOU DIE...

*breathe*
*breathe*

lol had to laugh.. jesus christ :/
I am curious why people keep playing, instead of just waiting.. you don't have any other games?

One can hope that CDPR improves their management.

You know, instead of just saying they will like they did with Witcher 3?

Just finished reading THIS ARTICLE on the dramatic development of Half-Life 2. Perhaps there are some parallels between the experience Valve was having in late 2003, and the experience CDPR is now having in late 2020. The obvious distinction being, that Valve chose to postpone the release of their game for an entire year and endure immense financial and psychological pressure to ensure they eventually released a pristine product on shelves. Arguably, one of the greatest video game classics in the history of the medium. What would the legacy of Half-Life 2 have been, if they had made sacrifices to honour the initial Sep 2003 date?

I don't know, I never played Half Life 2 until a few years after it had released and by then I never really saw what was so special about it, I mean I am sure the graphics and the physics were really impressive for their time but in regards to gameplay it felt to me kind of like your standard first person shooter, move through linear areas and shoot some enemies, then get on a buggy or boat and travel to the next area where you shoot more enemies perhaps finding a bigger gun along the way. Never actually completed the game as I got bored halfway through so I don't know if I can fully critique the story but even there I am not sure it really grabbed me? Cant even remember what the story was or why you were traversing these environments on foot but all I can remember was that there was an oppressive goverment that rose to power after the catastrophe that was caused in the first game and that you need to stop it? Also that girls father gets kidnapped.

xlawx

Forum regular
Half-Life 2 is a downgraded game and many contents had been cutted before the release, many people dont know it.
It's not the best game, it was very revolutionary game because of the physic engine. Before Half-Life 2, the world of the games are mostly immovable, every object is very strictly scripted and there is no ragdoll. And other revolutionary thing, the movable facial expression, instead of fixed.

After Half-Life 2, many studios started to implement the physic engine, thats why where it got the reputation. Plus Half-Life 2 is the first game to introduce the STEAM Platform.

Last edited:
Never ever announce a release date when your game is nowhere near ready ,Valve did a textbook example on how to fucking do this they came out of nowhere anounced a new Half life game 6months before release then lo and behold the game released with no crunch reports thats how you fucking do it

i also think larian studios do a fantastic job with early access where they see the good ,the bads of the game and iron out the flaws that the community hates and bring in some things that the community wants like dialogue XP recently

One thing - stay quiet about your next game until it's basically finished. Then, announce it out of nowhere, run a few months of marketing campaign and release.

Literally this. Would save alot of money, stress and most importantly backlash of angry fans.

Half-Life is an old game. Better look at the Artifact. Compared to it, CP77 release was 100% perfect :coolstory:

One thing - stay quiet about your next game until it's basically finished. Then, announce it out of nowhere, run a few months of marketing campaign and release.

This is truth 100%! If

The should keep quite on W4 or whatever they are working on till almost done maybe even Gold I made similar suggestion in another thread.

"Personally If I was them I would NEVER share as much about upcoming titles like they have with CP EVER again."

Half-Life 2 is a downgraded game and many contents had been cutted before the release, many people dont know it.
It's not the best game, it was very revolutionary game because of the physic engine. Before Half-Life 2, the world of the games are mostly immovable, every object is very strictly scripted and there is no ragdoll. And other revolutionary thing, the movable facial expression, instead of fixed.

After Half-Life 2, many studios started to implement the physic engine, thats why where it got the reputation. Plus Half-Life 2 is the first game to introduce the STEAM Platform.

Half Life 1 had physics... really pretty much every game 3d game had physics (grenades bounce, you could lift and move boxes, bodies would fall if you dropped them (though right now I am thinking of Deus Ex), heck the player jumping in 3d space that's physics at work. HL-2 is a 2004 game, well into the time when ragdolls are common place, and global physics were well established (Splintercell and Halo come to mind)

HL-2 was nothing special except for the high quality textures... and the gravity gun. Really, that's the game in a nutshell. Graphics + Gravity Gun.

(Interstate 76 with vehicular physics too)

Half Life 2 wasn't a pristine product on release, it was buggy and continued to have bugs. I know I bought it and played it on release day and subsequent days.

Top Bottom