Shortest main story in rpg game ?

+
I love the game but Holy Christ why is the main story so dang short? I think it's shortest rpg game ever right ? I've never played an RPG story so short before. Yea there are a lot of side missions but the main story is what keeps you interested and boy was it disappointing in length. Just bizzare and ridiculously too short.

Come on CDPR after 8 years you give a 17 hour main story ? Who were these imbeciles that asked for a shorter game? I think it's half the length of witcher 3. Hate those people that said "I like a short game if the story is good". Well if the story is good why would you want it shorter? It's an RPG game not a movie.

It's such a rich and detailed world they should've made the story much longer without a doubt. But great game nonetheless. Was very sad but mostly shocked when it ended. Witcher 3 dlc main story was longer than this entire games main story.

Last edited:
I love the game but Holy Christ why is the main story so dang short? I think it's shortest rpg game ever right ? I've never played an RPG story so short before. Yea there are a lot of side missions but the main story is what keeps you interested and boy was it disappointing in length. Just bizzare and ridiculously too short.

Come on CDPR after 8 years you give a 17 hour main story ? Who were these imbeciles that asked for a shorter game? I think it's half the length of witcher 3. Hate those people that said "I like a short game if the story is good". Well if the story is good why would you want it shorter? It's an RPG game not a movie.

It's such a rich and detailed world they should've made the story much longer without a doubt. But great game nonetheless. Was very sad but mostly shocked when it ended. Witcher 3 dlc main story was longer than this entire games main story.

I had 71 hrs after I finished the main story. If its that short, man they lied. Said it was shorter then the witcher 3 but not by that much.

Last edited:
I had 71 hrs after I finished the main story. If its that short, man they lied. Said it was shorter but then the witcher 3 but not by that much.

I'm talking about the main story. The characters are great but feel their stories were rushed or cut short. There is so much they showed from gameplay trailers that were cut and not in the game. I've never seen a game that has so much missing gameplay from trailers. Like 50% of the story was cut. Is it because people asked for a short game? This is definitely their shortest story game. Everytime I started to like a character there were no more missions to do with them. Great characters but not enough story to them. The actual main story mission is no where near 71 hours. Sure you can stretch it to hundreds of hours if you do activies and stuff. But the main story mission felt rushed didn't it? Idk why they cut so much. Oh well perhaps the DLCs will be do some justice to characters like panam, Judy or River. Just not enough to do with them. Especially Jackie damn he died like 10 mins into his story lol. Each great character you met and started to like it ended a mission later.

Well, if you count ALL the endings as apart of your time in the main story. You can't get the secret ending if you don't do the side missions for Johnny.

Skyrim is shorter. If you fast travel, do nothing but the main story, and are familiar with the story itself, Skyrim is only about 2 1/2 hours. The game also only has 17 main quests.

Maybe it was the content it just felt very rushed. One main mission with Jacky and he's done. Two missions with rivers and he's done. Panam, Judy. Also is there really only 3 race missions in the entire game? I was so happy to start doing races with Claire and once again done. Lol

Skyrim is shorter. If you fast travel, do nothing but the main story, and are familiar with the story itself, Skyrim is only about 2 1/2 hours. The game also only has 17 main quests.
Yes but the side quests actually have stories too. The side quests here bring very little narrative to the table and as such they are getting boring. I have been working my way through them and really missing the feeling of the main story and the quests for the main characters like Judy, Panam, Kerry and River.

I wish the side quests for the fixers had more drama that ties the missions together or at least builds a relationship with the fixer and V.

Yeap, filling your game with Youtube influencers and massive Hollywood names tends to destroy you wallet quite quickly. You'll either craft a carefully designed game with plenty of content or a game backed with powerful names so you can feed the Marketing God. You can't do both. :shrug:

Yes but the side quests actually have stories too. The side quests here bring very little narrative to the table and as such they are getting boring. I have been working my way through them and really missing the feeling of the main story and the quests for the main characters like Judy, Panam, Kerry and River.

I wish the side quests for the fixers had more drama that ties the missions together or at least builds a relationship with the fixer and V.

My point exactly. You can litteraly tell they but the story up and butchered it just to make it shorter. There is no way in hell Jacky's part was that short and that goes for everyone. There were people asking for a short game and you can so tell cdpr catered to these people and cut to pieces their story. Not only is it not as long as witcher 3 main story but it doesn't even come close. The main story feels like a cdpr DLC. You don't have to be a genius to know the game had a lot more story to it before they cut it. Again half the gameplay cutscenes we saw in the last 8 years weren't even there.
Post automatically merged:

Yeap, filling your game with Youtube influencers and massive Hollywood names tends to destroy you wallet quite quickly. You'll either craft a carefully designed game with plenty of content or a game backed with powerful names so you can feed the Marketing God. You can't do both. :shrug:
That's it man. I knew when they said we are making a shorter game they took polls and wanted to cater to groups. By that they are screwing their real fans that played all the witcher games and DLCs. Where is the rest of the story ? Where are the scenes we saw in trailers? Watup with Jacky having an hour game time ? You know the character you showed for 6 freaking years. The irony is the same people that asked for a short game are the same ones attacking them now while us fans just wanted to play the game longer. Lol

Last edited:
? Who were these imbeciles that asked for a shorter game? I think it's half the length of witcher 3. Hate those people that said "I like a short game if the story is good". Well if the story is good why would you want it shorter? It's an RPG game not a movie.

Dude, it's just an excuse CDPR uses. Because of the chaotic management and organization of the entire project they had to cut a lot of things to release the game before deadline. There aren't imbeciles who asked for a shorter game. Even if there were I doubt a serious game company would listen to those who can't even finish a game with long story. It's just like the craps of politics we can see everywhere. You still believe anything from CDPR? Fool you once, their fault. But don't let them fool you twice, bro.

I'm talking about the main story. The characters are great but feel their stories were rushed or cut short. There is so much they showed from gameplay trailers that were cut and not in the game. I've never seen a game that has so much missing gameplay from trailers. Like 50% of the story was cut. Is it because people asked for a short game? This is definitely their shortest story game. Everytime I started to like a character there were no more missions to do with them. Great characters but not enough story to them. The actual main story mission is no where near 71 hours. Sure you can stretch it to hundreds of hours if you do activies and stuff. But the main story mission felt rushed didn't it? Idk why they cut so much. Oh well perhaps the DLCs will be do some justice to characters like panam, Judy or River. Just not enough to do with them. Especially Jackie damn he died like 10 mins into his story lol. Each great character you met and started to like it ended a mission later.

Oops my bad, yea it was shorter than I wanted, wish it was longer, I was definitely one that was annoyed the made it shorter for the call of duty people lol

My point exactly. You can litteraly tell they but the story up and butchered it just to make it shorter. There is no way in hell Jacky's part was that short and that goes for everyone. There were people asking for a short game and you can so tell cdpr catered to these people and cut to pieces their story. Not only is it not as long as witcher 3 main story but it doesn't even come close. The main story feels like a cdpr DLC. You don't have to be a genius to know the game had a lot more story to it before they cut it. Again half the gameplay cutscenes we saw in the last 8 years weren't even there.

That's it man. I knew when they said we are making a shorter game they took polls and wanted to cater to groups. By that they are screwing their real fans that played all the witcher games and DLCs. Where is the rest of the story ? Where are the scenes we saw in trailers? Watup with Jacky having an hour game time ? You know the character you showed for 6 freaking years. The irony is the same people that asked for a short game are the same ones attacking them now while us fans just wanted to play the game longer. Lol

Oof 100%

Dude, it's just an excuse CDPR uses. Because of the chaotic management and organization of the entire project they had to cut a lot of things to release the game before deadline. There aren't imbeciles who asked for a shorter game. Even if there were I doubt a serious game company would listen to those who can't even finish a game with long story. It's just like the craps of politics we can see everywhere. You still believe anything from CDPR? Fool you once, their fault. But don't let them fool you twice, bro.

Yea I hear you. They did a great a job with witcher 3 though so I had high hopes. Witcher 3s story was so involved and long god I loved it. I had no idea their biggest game to date would be cut so damn short and like you said chaotic.

Yea I hear you. They did a great a job with witcher 3 though so I had high hopes. Witcher 3s story was so involved and long god I loved it. I had no idea their biggest game to date would be cut so damn short and like you said chaotic.

Yea I hope they add a good chunk with the DLCs like the witcher 3. because if they don't I'm legit stepping off the gas pedal because I hold back on preorders except for this game. and its been a long time since I preordered lol It is what it is, they don't read the forums, which I think where the real fans are. I will be shocked if we get everything we want going forward. but I hope we do.

Classic example of trying to cater to the weak.

People don't do side quests, don't count them, apparently a side quest might as well be nonexistent. People don't care if they expand lore or flesh out characters, they skip them then complain the game is to short.

When cdpr said they were shortening the main story because players couldn't finish, I knew it was a mistake. The gaming community is filled with silly people, it doesn't matter if you have 100 hours of side content, they rush the main content and declare the game is good or bad based on that every time.

Take note, that cyberpunk is currently the only game being declared short Becuase, even by their generous standards, it only takes 100 hours to do a full play through.

Last edited:
Agree. The main story felt like it was cut so a abruptly. I qlso didnt like how it seem to end with such finality and just drop you back in the open world "in case you want to keep playing". Why not instead close the main story line and let the player character be free to drop back into the normal life of being a merc and keep playing and leave it open for future expansions. The way the ending was made... now seem problematic for any kind of continuity lol

I wouldn't mind at this point... no, actually I would be really very happy if they kept this version all as is and re released the game in 6~12 months from now, Square Enix FFXIV style. Damn, I would love if CDPR announced something like that (plans to re release the game completely revamped).

At least give us the game shown in the trailers and demos...

u want to know why its short ppl cried about how long witcher 3 took to beat so Cd red was like srry about we make this game short so u ppl wont cry again

Top Bottom