Cyberpunk 2077 User Reviews & Impressions

+
I wanted an RPG :(
When a game that uses a P&P system as basis uses that term, I have a different set of expectations. Dialogue options feel very limited...there are barely any non-combat skills, and you can't really go for different builds unless it's of the combat variety.
I am really very disappointed.

Awesome game. I've never had so much fun and excitement with main story. CDPR are masters of story telling. Even side quests are interesting. I like how characters are realistic, not plain but deep, you can have emotional relation with them. Either positive or negative but you have that relation. Night City is beautiful and so diverse. Devs put so much work to all details. Sometimes you look at places and think that either buildings or deco looks like created by real pro architects or designers. Variety of builds is also nice. Theres many ways to develop your character and i like it. Sorta reminds me of Diablo system. And i play it like Diablo. One - max two playthroughs and then some weeks/months break. Its like watching an amazing movie. You can watch it one, 2 or 3 times and its awesome but once you know everything its not as surprising as the first time. You gotta take a break, cherish that experience and maybe come back to it after some time. Its what im doing, second playthrough, gonna do my desired build, all side quests, chill in Night City and then ill take a break :)

Looking how well this game is already selling and how big is its potential, how big will be future cyberpunk influence (music, films, netflix series) it will grow huge. And i like it. :)

This needs 6 months, 1 more year of development, it's something that hurts.
The game was cut from the game.
literally
What we got, was cut content alpha.
AI, mechanics, next gen content, rpg ramifications of your choices. all cut out.

The only thing we know about the Semi roadmap is that there are two patches coming early 2021, but they keep omitting what the content is. Or even what is the final product of the complete game.

How can we know that content from the base game is not added as DLC, paid or not. ?

I wanted an RPG :(
When a game that uses a P&P system as basis uses that term, I have a different set of expectations. Dialogue options feel very limited...there are barely any non-combat skills, and you can't really go for different builds unless it's of the combat variety.
I am really very disappointed.

To be honest, I too was expecting at least a Mass Effect level of "Roleplaying". I think I read somewhere that there was going to be a non-combat character trait determined by how "cool" you look.

Buyed the game 2 days ago on PC.
Still a bit rough on the edge and minors visuals bugs (unclickable junk loot).
Work nice on Ultra 1080P with a GTX 1660 standard on a SSD.
Just to tell the developpers I am here for the long run and know the state of the game when I buyed it. I don’t intend to ask for a refund, I don’t intent to bail out. I am here to support you through this hard launch. Keep on fighting.

Super buggy! Here's wishing for a (very quick) No Man's Sky redemption!
Cyberpunk is not a No Man Sky type of game as the later is not particularly story based and the former is linear. People will not wait 2 years to play Cyberpunk

Just finished my first run of the game and immediately started a second one. The bugs that I got on PC were on my opinion only funny and didn't hinder my experience at all. In middle of the game I sometimes just stopped and just though that wow this is really something else. After the first run I think this is the best game I have ever played, thank you! :)

Compre la copia física para xbox (x) Para mi ciberpunk 2077 es algo fuera de lo común, tantas cosas nuevas que nunca vi en otros temas harmas, personajes y diálogos todo es muy bueno, cada ves que juego lo disfruto al máximo, quiciera apoyar a la empresa para corregir tantos errores que se necesita corregir.
taparle la boca a todos lo que hablan mal del tema y no valorar el trabajo de los grandes desarrolladores.

Love it.

I haven't finished the main story and I'm in no hurry to since I'm just enjoying the life of a street samurai and building my rep :)

C2077 has already paid for itself three times over for me and expect it will be up to six times over by the time I finish to await DLC.

Don't let the haters get you down CD Projekt Red, you could have written exactly what the trolls say they want and they would still be whining like entitled brats.

I've only had one minor issue that required me to load an autosave. The bug was that meant i couldn't stop after taking a picture in camera mode while riding across the bridge to Japantown on a motorcycle. Nothing gamebreaking :)

Thanks for your hard work everyone.
photomode_25122020_003104.png

At 28 hours into the game (mostly sidequests, as I still don't want to get over with the game I've been waiting for ever since 2012 if not earlier too quick), so little compared to how much people have played it, but still having my own opinion, not having had too many bugs I'm still depressed at the thought that, past the bugs, there's no fixing an ultimately mediocre game that doesn't commit to making its own thing mechanics wise to differentiate itself.

They say "show, don't tell", but tell is the only thing Cyberpunk does. There's tons of shards littered everywhere, many repeated (not that the game would filter the ones you've already read, and you better stop the game to read them at the moment or you will lose any kind of context there may be and your to-read list will keep on expanding... let's not get into the bland conversations you pick in every criminal raid you stop) telling you about the lore...

There's even an entire prologue with Jackie where you see MaxTac doing a thing, and TraumaTeam doing another thing... there's people telling you through dialogue all these things that should give you the future shock (see the 2018 E3 trailer)... they tell you: but nothing is a mechanic. And that is the single worst offender:

What gave us hope that CDPR of all people could pull this off wasn't the experience they clearly don't have programming an open world with pathfinding AI for crowds and cars. It was their good job translating the Witcher lore into mechanics: you've got your contracts, your monster slaying, your curse lifting, your potion brewing, your book reading, your meditating, your shagging, your very Geralt-like moral choices...

Now, when they tell you they're making a Cyberpunk RPG... what do you hope for? Do you hope for a cyberpunk coat of paint on same old mechanics, be it of ARPGs, open world Far Cry-like games, a looter-shooter?

No, you expect that they make you feel the world through the mechanics, not that they tell you about it:

- I don't care about what you tell me Max Tac does if I am doing their job, I'll never go over the edge losing humanity and if police has no AI.
- I don't care about Trauma Team if 28 hours into the game their work and business model hasn't showed up again in any form, let alone if I don't interact with them as a subscriber.
- I don't care about the implications of cybernetic body modification if implants are just armor pieces and weapons that I can change only from a menu in particular places of the map with nothing that makes me feel I'm having surgery, changing or becoming more machine than man.
- I don't care about its corporate world and having the choice of a Corpo as past life if I don't feel like political, economic and networking influence are a viable gameplay style.
- I don't care about corporations and consumerism if the game doesn't make me involved into these brands as a character immersed in this world.
- I don't care about how much of an improvement these cybernetics are when as a somewhat intelligent starter character I'm automatically a hacker that can turn literally everyone blind.

I should be one of the biggest fanboys of this game. But the more I analyse what has failed, the more empty I feel. I guess I, like many, gave too much importance to a product I convinced myself I like as a defining feature of my personality, and it makes me sad that's the most cyberpunk thing the game has made me feel.

Since CDPR seems unable to create a folder where individual reviews can be posted, here is mine.

In January 2013, CDPR posted the teaser for their new game, Cyberpunk 2077.

Immediatly, for people like me who played the original P&P Cyberpunk RPG, that was more than enough to keep us waiting and dreaming.
CDPR also stated that the game would be released when it is ready. That was the original lie.
Cyberpunk 2077 is released and it is obviously not ready.

1 - The Role Playing game
There is none.
The way you play V has no influence on the game or the story (except the relationship with Johnny for the hidden ending to be available). The lifepaths are useless, the stats and skills are only relevant to open doors or get some dialogue options, but nothing really important. The main story is straight forward and offer really few alternatives, not to mention the endings which are so lame and bring no closure but more a feeling of "WTF?".
A male or female V is not important besides who you can / can't romance. Romances are quite straightforward too, and not very rewarding (Triss ? Yenefer ? Remember them ?)
Crafting is below average, and in my opinion completely useless and out of range in such a cyberpunk setting. It's also broken.
The economics is flawed and getting money is tedious, even when you're a 50 street credibility streetkid with a bad attitude and some very big guns. Why are guns expensive and heavy and cloths cheap and light ?
There is also no need to find assorted clothes, since you never see your character (unless photographing) and the clothes are randomly distributed. I'm not even sure there are sets of clothes. No pimping V there to be found.
2 - The FPS
It's decent. Not much more.
In my opinion, it's not a true FPS, but rather some infiltration shooter hybrid. And it's good at neither, simply average.
This is neither Metalgear, nor Quake, but some curious offspring of the two.
3 - The Open World
Is not.
It's a painting. A very nice, very beautiful painting, but that's all. The urban setting is gorgeous, and it's populated and seems to abound with activities.
But no, it's just a painting. Nothing to interact with, no random quest or race spawning here and there, no gang war to fight... I played GTA Vice City and San Andreas and there was way more things in any of them than in CP2077.
Why no mission to steal cars, for instance ? Why no challenge ? Why only spots on the map to wipe, then well, start another game.
This is very lazy, CDPR, very very lazy.
Why are there cars, even ? Why collect them ? CDPR don't even propose a garage to pimp them or simply to admire them.
And what to say about the NCPD ? That's a joke. No car chase, no chase at all in fact. They spawn around V and shoot at V unless you manage to run away, out of sight for some time. Pathetic.
4 - The Story
That's the good point of the game, with the beauty of the graphics.
The narrative is excellent and the characters and voice acting are very good.
And the endings suck so hard they do not even motivate another playthrough.
And the influence of the player on those endings is so limited (null in fact).
And the main story is too short.
I read here and there that it was to please some critics who said that the Witcher 3 was too long. SCREW THEM FFS. 60 bucks for a 20 hours narrative is simply a scam.
5 - Gameplay
Well, not much to say there, the gameplay is slick and serves the narrative.
As a PC player, I regret that CDPR did not think about our keyboard and theirs 100+ keys and that key binding is not easy. Yeah, I'm looking at you, F Key. I had to edit some file to unbind that key and bind another. That is, once again, lazy from you, CDPR.

As a final word, I would say that Cyberpunk 2077 is a lie.
The game has been released when it's not ready (I don't even mention the scandalous release on consoles). It tries to reproduce or to copy from the best (GTA, The Elder Scrolls, Metalgear, ...) and fails more often than not. That was so promising, and the only promise kept is a vivid painting of Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk characters and background.
Would I say that the result is not worth the wait ? Absolutely.
I'm not even sure it's worth it's price tag, the replayability being close to none.

I played like 10 hours on PS4 Pro. Perfomance wise was like 5-10. Story wise 5-10. Maybe it's not my genre. However I really enjoyed games like Skyrim, Fallout series. They were RPG too, right?

With all the cut systems, life path having no impact on the story other than a couple of flavor conversation options, and just overall feeling like CDPR said good enough and shipped the game. I would say it's a mediocre game and doubt they will give us all the things the marketing showed.

Shower thought...
What is the point of buying vehicles if they don't really affect the gameplay. I used the car and the bike, that were given to me during the story once or twice, and that's it. I mean if you want to drive around , you can always steal a better looking car. The end, I guess.

I played like 10 hours on PS4 Pro. Perfomance wise was like 5-10. Story wise 5-10. Maybe it's not my genre. However I really enjoyed games like Skyrim, Fallout series. They were RPG too, right?

Everything is fine with you :). CP2077 is not a RPG, that is the problem. Although they told us for years it would be. OpenWorld-Games/RPG are popular, but expensive and timeconsuming to develop.
Sadly I missed the message, when they told us to expect a (looter) shooter with story elements.
CP2077 is the first Far Cry I played 'til the end, I would say :(.

Shower thought...
What is the point of buying vehicles if they don't really affect the gameplay. I used the car and the bike, that were given to me during the story once or twice, and that's it. I mean if you want to drive around , you can always steal a better looking car. The end, I guess.

Well, you pretty much nail it : cars are useless.

Fair warning, long post mostly intended to advise new(ish) pc gamers who are struggling with the game, also playing a little defense for CDPR and CP2077. Sum up - Pc gaming takes tweaks, after mine I've only seen minor bugs (never had a crash or fail to start) and the game is 9/10 as it sits, can't wait to see the next fixes.

I'm super pleased by the game, I just want to put some positive energy toward all of the devs that have worked their @$$'s off for the last 8 years. I get it, it's got some rough edges, but, you gotta release at some point, money has to flow, it's business. That all said, I pre-ordered a few days before release and am 100% satisfied, why? Simple, a AAA title on release is ALWAYS rough, it's the world we live in, there are millions of pc configs out there, far more than can be tested ahead of launch, somebody is going to have a shitty experience out the gates. I didn't, I have a high end system and I've been a pc gamer for a long time, when I started in you couldn't expect ANY game to run for crap without a minimum of 30min of tweaking, I've learned to enjoy getting it "just right" for my system. I've seen a few too many complaints from people saying that they have a great system and can't run on high/ultra settings, I'd like to mention that a new AAA title should always be basically impossible to push 100% except on enthusiast builds, and even then they often put features that are too much for current hardware. I support the practice, and it's not new for CDPR either, anybody remember TW2 Ubersampling? Maybe not the most efficient way to get high detail but it did achieve high detail, things like that give people a reason to go back and play it more when they get new hardware, get a new experience, and give h/w devs something to shoot for. I've also heard a lot of shots on DLSS and the difficulty of running it without it, falls to the same argument, DLSS let me turn on/up lots of options, and with my tweaks the difference was imperceptible visually (for me, but I have my system set up for my likes, build listed below). I have spent close to 80 hours already exploring a vast and beautifully crafted world, I've found and seen bugs, (very few that actually caused a re-load, 2 I think?) and 0 crashes. I found that my normal GPU overclock wasn't stable in CP2077 (NOT THE GAME'S FAULT), tweaked it, 100% stable, seen plenty of odd physics and some general immersion glitches (floating items, un-grabbable/clipped items, npc collision glitches i.e. clipping/sticking into other objects (seems to be fixed in first hotfix for me), all the price of early adoption imo. I'm exited to see where it goes, and frankly I'm loving how it looks for me, it took more time than normal to get it dialed in, but I feel great about it and I won't be surprised to see it get better and better, CDPR has come through on The Witcher games beyond any expectation (when my buddies and I discuss games we aren't allowed to use TW3 as a comparison because the bar is too high...). My words of advice for those that are struggling:
1. The game is meant to be hard to push to max, that isn't unique, be prepared to spend an hour or so playing with your settings, no matter how good you think your hardware is. Done right you can make the sacrifices in ways that are difficult to notice. (like motion blur, and depth of field - I find them to be useless, others can disagree but either way, turning them off brings a little performance to the table)
2. Have patience, they spent 8+ years and more money than I even want to know bringing this game out, give them a chance to clean it up and finish out. Business has to have some attachment to finances and part of that can be getting the game out there to get the sales moving, and get some cash flowing. I can't say what the motivation was for the release date pick, but I can say that I think it was justified, the game was playable the minute the install was done (for me for sure, and most from what I've read), that may seem silly to some to bring up, it isn't, other games have released in a condition that made them unplayable on a large number of systems *cough* RDR2 *cough*. Early adoption has a cost on PC, thems' the breaks.
3. Just because you have a 4k 120Hz monitor, doesn't mean you absolutely have to have the game running at 4k 120fps, firstly, that's insane with any high end game, secondly, it's an open world RPG, and it's a lot of world to render, give your computer a break, an get the res and frame rate where it can run well. I play MOST of my games at 2k (3840x1080), I don't notice that it isn't 4k... ever...
4. PC gaming comes with extra control, there's a trade off for it, if you haven't had to do much tuning for most games, you're either lucky, or dealing with problems you can probably solve with some research time and some setting tweaks. If you have a high end system that isn't brand new anymore (meaning you have say a couple gen back, a 1080TI i7xxxxk or AMD equivalent etc), there are generational differences that system will struggle with if you don't tune well.
5. DLSS is your friend now, used to suck, I know, but I've spent time playing with the settings (I spent about 1.5 hours day one before really playing, like I said it's part of the deal and I've learned to enjoy it, and have spent got knows how many since out of curiosity of what the differences are ( which I took a lot of time on DLSS with a friend to help me find differences), my findings? DLSS2 KICKS @$$, detail loss was almost nothing (we could hardly tell if we got right up to things and took our time looking) and the performance boost was 10-15%, that's incredible.
6. Last one - Bugs are kinda normal in pc gaming ( to a certain extent of course) it comes with the territory of having so many different builds out there. That doesn't mean you have to accept them all, but it does mean that some of it is on you to figure out once in a while, check your drivers, don't push your pc past it's limits, and, most of all, expect to see improvement over time. You can't always trust every DEV to support their games long term, but I have %1,000,000 confidence in CDPR to come through, send those Dev teams some love along side your bug reports, yes, they are doing their jobs, it's not as simple as it looks, if you have a chance ask around some programmers, you will get some good perspective.

Monitor:
Samsung 32:9 1080p curved 144Hz monitor (I had better results turning it down to 60Hz in CP2077)
Build:
I9-9900K (8c/16t - 3.6ghz (no overclock - GPU bound anyway) - H115i liquid cooler
RTX 2080 Super (Aggresive fan curve -ABSOLUTELY MUST DO TO GET GOOD PERFORMANCE - THEY COME OUT OF THE BOX WITH A "SILENT" FAN CURVE - IT DOES NOT KEEP UP WITH HIGH END TITLES GET MSI AFTERBURNER, TAKES 5 MINUTES.
32GB DDR4 3000Hz (HyperX Fury 3733, more stable clocked down to 3k)
ASRock Z390 Extreme4 MoBo
HX1200 PSU
LOTS OF FANS (8)

P.S.
Shout out to the devs for working hard and putting sweat and tears into this game, it's awesome, keep up the good work and THANK YOU!
Post automatically merged:

Probably the game-ready drivers from Nvidia were the bigger factor.
I had to do a fair bit of tweaking aside from GFE "Optimize" but I've only seen minor bugs, mostly immersion stuff...

Last edited:
Top Bottom