What do you think about the future of modding capability?

+
Just my opinion.

And it's the right one.

The modding scene was pretty sparse (as far as actual modders go) until Bethesda released Skyrim, and it's Creation Kit just a short time later. Then the whole scene blew up, and mods started to flow at a breakneck pace (though Oblivion and it's kit is ultimately what really started it rolling, followed shortly after by Fallout: New Vegas).

This game has a metric TON more potential, depending on the capabilities of any "official" kit CDPR might potentially put out.

If CDPR is not able to reform the game into everything players hoped for, then they should seriously consider just fixing any remaining bugs, optimize it better to perform on the promised hardware, and then release a decent suite of modding tools and leave what remains to us. Because I guarantee you that if they do, this game will eventually become what they originally envisioned. Or at the very least, a LOT closer than it is right now.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I would love to help modding a music performance into Cyberpunk2077 and add a location (a living room, a stage...) using the original audio of a live concert. (of course only with permission of the artists).
Something like the NPR Tiny Desk Concerts...

I would also like to change the audio of a specific street musician and replace it with my own guitar playing.

I'll be shocked if they release modding tools at all, let alone tools capable of modifying hard-coded game systems, which are where a lot of the work would be needed in order to execute the kinds of changes that so many people want to see. Given how rough the current game is already, I don't see how they would have had time to develop modding tools or support.
Maybe, if you run around in Night city pretty much all doors says "locked", not saying that it simply not because they wanted some interaction, but could also be an indication that these doors could be used for something at some point and might be for modding.....or it could just be a bug, who knows at this point :p

A modder just released a tweak to NPC movement, de-spawning and AI. It works very well compared to what the game engine does and all it consists of is .ini tweaks.

And it WORKS. The crowds act way better, avoid objects way better and are not blipping in and out of existence or changing into different people just by not looking at them for 2 seconds.

But it's clear that when a fight breaks out, NPC's still vanish into the cloud district and completely de-spawn, so fixing that requires more in-depth work than just tweaking an ini file.

There are literally a few million people who want to have content which CPDR cut from the game and will never put back in, so as long as the modding community is supported, someone somewhere is going to find a way.

If no official modding tool is released -which I predict, as I don't think the execs have ANY interest in allowing mod support- then the modding community will make some kind of mod organizer or rudimentary tools.

Frankly, as-is, if this game is 100% complete and just gets bug fixes, it won't last long without mods. 80% or more of the material showcased even just 2 months prior to launch is not actually IN the game.

But there are traces of this cut content all over the place. Which may be a spring board for modders to bring it back, perhaps?

Examples:

Property Deeds: There are SEVERAL property deeds in the game (the first being right outside V's apartment) usually laying on the ground and looking like ordinary papers. However, in 4K resolution and zooming in, you can read the details. They list things like farms, apartments, etc. in the game world. Each is also flagged as a lootable item, even though you can't pick it up. I take this as the remains of the ability to purchase property.

Interior Cells: If you have ever clipped into a building while doing parkour, you can see how easy it is to move around (or fall through) game space inside buildings. So making working interiors and changing locked doors to unlocked, is entirely possible. Expect modders to build new locations like crazy once they figure out a stable way to do so.

Driving HUD instead of mini map: Around a few warehouses, if you tag an item, you can see the white dots from the mini map on the ground. Usually only for a few feet and under rooftops, but it pops up now and then. I don't think this is a 'glitch', but the remains of the HUD directing you where to go, rather than just having to drive via the mini-map. While some players don't like having directions to an objective popping up on their HUD, many prefer it so you don't have to take your eyes off the center of the screen to look at the mini map.

Item Descriptions: From the mono wire being able to hack people to other item descriptions, there are a few dozen examples of gear and even junk being intended to do SOMETHING in game that it currently does not.

There is also just a plethora of small details that really, really need fixing. Any comparison video between CP77 and GTA or Saints Row shows some very glaring things missing that would make the game world 1,000 times more immersive, fun, and interactive, from adding water splashes from weapon and grenade impact, to being able to shoot vehicle tires, and massive improvements to enemy and NPC AI.

Allowing modding would only make the game BETTER, and open the potential for it to become the next Skryim and played by people for 10+ years. Otherwise, after 2-3 playthroughs, people will be done with it. 800,000+ PC players have already stopped after a single playthrough.

I think support for modders is necessary. But I believe that, to avoid further problems with complaints, they will launch tools only in more stable versions of the game, around March or April.

Maybe, if you run around in Night city pretty much all doors says "locked", not saying that it simply not because they wanted some interaction, but could also be an indication that these doors could be used for something at some point and might be for modding.....or it could just be a bug, who knows at this point :p
If you clip through the walls, you can see that making interior's is possible. The empty 'space' behind these locked doors still exists. So if someone takes the time, they can add terrain and moveable spaces.

Providing official modding tools would help, but I am sure some uber-fans are already working on making shops, vendors, etc.

They're not intended to be used for anything and it isn't a bug. The Witcher 3 was the exact same way.

I'd say 2022 before we get mod tools. There's a lot of fires to put out and a lot of content that they need to add themselves before they let modders loose at it. Realistically nobody want's a Fallout 4 situation where every major change to the game broke half the mods that had been released for it. Let them launch their paid DLC's first, because that gives folks more confirmed area not to touch, preventing mod conflicts, and increases the number of audio lines that can be dissected to generate custom dialogue. I'd say the best time to release the SDK is when they have dropped and patched the final planned DLC. Even with a metric shit ton of DLC there is a lot of empty builds and map space that are at least partially implemented.

Used for what? It's just an activator that displays a message. If they were going to implement more interiors, having these in place wouldn't make that possibility any more or less likely.

A Pizzaria, maybe? Or... a Club of fight... maybe to...err...some professional love...or... new apartments to V... maybe a store of Pokemons... who know :)

And it's the right one.

The modding scene was pretty sparse (as far as actual modders go) until Bethesda released Skyrim, and it's Creation Kit just a short time later. Then the whole scene blew up, and mods started to flow at a breakneck pace (though Oblivion and it's kit is ultimately what really started it rolling, followed shortly after by Fallout: New Vegas).

This game has a metric TON more potential, depending on the capabilities of any "official" kit CDPR might potentially put out.

If CDPR is not able to reform the game into everything players hoped for, then they should seriously consider just fixing any remaining bugs, optimize it better to perform on the promised hardware, and then release a decent suite of modding tools and leave what remains to us. Because I guarantee you that if they do, this game will eventually become what they originally envisioned. Or at the very least, a LOT closer than it is right now.

"Every decision matters", "Realistic NPC behavior with daily lives", "Hacking with monowire", etc. etc. There is a metric TON of content that never made it to the final product. Whether we like it or not, the game as-is, is what they decided to release. They are not going to spend another 6,000+ man-hours to create better inventory menu's, better dialogue choices, or introduce content they purposefully cut (i.e. hacking via nanowire, or the daily lives of NPC's.)

Someone, somewhere created a roadmap of content, which all got publicized and talked about. Even show-cased using in-game footage. Then along came someone, somewhere who said "Scrap it! We gotta release the game for Christmas!!!".

Turning this into the game we were promised is 100% up to the modding community. We were given what they gave us, and the execs put their stamp of approval on it.

Unfortunately I fear it may go down the same path as KC: Deliverance. They released mod tools so late into the games life cycle that modders didn't pick it up and players moved on. I say this because while cyberpunk is a fun game, there isn't enough interaction with the world and things to actually explore and do. This is especially true after 2 or 3 playthroughs (at most) if you haven't already spoiled other choices for yourself.

Sooner rather than later when it comes to mod tools is definitely the right direction to keep players interested and prolong the longevity of the game.

Just my opinion.

Without question, Cyberpunk as it is right now will not keep current players with promises of patches or DLC in the future (even near future). Announce what mod support will be coming 'And Make it Soon' it will change what is going to happen. Right now the game as you say (and others) a couple of playthroughs and you almost done with it, mods can fill the game out and TBH some players stick with Beth Games just so they can mod the heck out of it. CDPR needs that now or that 13 Million sales will end up as less than 1 Million players and no future for this game, or any follow up or future CDPR games.

Cyberpunk is like Fallout 76, a disaster that needs saving TBH I'm not sure if Cyberpunk can become what players believed it would be without mods. Beth did a reasonable job on FO76 but it desperately needs the mods they promised in 2018, unfortunately they are relying on destroying the games Lore to add more ridiculous content they can sell.

I think they should just release every tool and just let us mod the game.. im gonna enjoy doing that cause for god sake they have some bad software engineering here.. probably rushed like hell.. cause wow.

I agree. The best political gesture that they could do to save face is to publicly announce and release modding tools "in hope to give the gaming community the best cyberpunk 2077 experience possible".

I'd have to disagree even Morrowind had its MA community and it was not that sparse even back then and is still being modded now. Oblivion was the big leap in the amount of MA themselves, some of whom did move onto FO3 but few of them then continued into New Vegas (not the real big names).

Skyrim I agree had more because the game sold more and then they added Mods for consoles on Skyrim SE and FO4, there was this giant leap as the console players would use almost any thing. Especially 'cheats' which they used freely but we PC mod users were called cheats before the consoles got them as well, ironic.

But to be very fair FO4 screamed out for cheat mods with all the 'scrap' you needed to find, interestingly though the PC mod users did not use those cheat mods as much as the consoles did at beth.Net. Bringing mods to consoles expanded the whole thing but did create a huge change of attitudes towards 'fair play' within the expanded MA community.

I'd be happy if they released a full modding kit just so modders could import 4K x 4K and 8K x 8K textures and improve the skin textures in the game. A lot of the textures in the game could stand to be improved. They look nice from afar, but quickly turn to crap once you get up close. Shows they're low res. Work could be done on LOD pop-in, shadow pop-in, etc too. The shadows in this game behave very crappy despite Raytracing being on. They tend to just instantly disappear after reaching a certain distance from a still light source. And when this happens right next to you instantly rather than a natural fade away, it's kind of puzzling and annoying. There'd be a lot of visual improvements that would come from modders. And textures in particular wouldn't cost performance for someone like me whom has 24GB VRAM to spare, nor for most RX 6000 series owners.

The other thing they'd be able to tweak would be the gameplay balancing. They'd be able to tinker with AI damage numbers. They might even be able to make the AI smarter and make them press you more aggressively based on their weapon types. That would add more replay value. They could add new sets of clothing while being able to control when and where they can be obtained. Custom cars and bikes to replace existing ones with custom handling for each vehicle could be a possibility too. That was an enormous part of GTA4 modding back in the day. Probably still is for GTA5. The same could happen for the weapons, especially the bland ones that don't allow attachments. They might not be able to animate entire custom weapons or reload animations, but they could tweak the existing damage numbers, and maybe enable attachments for guns that normally can't use them as well as decide which perks apply to certain weapons if it seems more logical that they should do so. They'd probably fix the one LMG in the game before CDPR does too.

In most mod heavy games, new custom weapons, and new armor/clothing are usually the first things to come, but with this game who the hell knows. We'll just have to wait and see. CDPR is moving super slow. I doubt they'll release anything major like that for at least 6 more months. If they finally do, maybe someone can fix the garbage HDR in this game that tends to lean towards total Black Crush in most dark scenes.

Hi everyone.

I was looking at Nexus recently and all I saw was graphical mods and save files. What are your thoughts on how much modders will be able to change Cyberpunk in the future? Did CD Projekt RED say anything about the modding? Is it realistic to expect mods that can also interfere with dialogue systems, like Mass Effect mods?

I'd love to see mods that improves interactions in open world. Since we have animations, modders wouldn't have to create animations by themselves. But it is not that simple of course. They need access and an ability to change dialogues/interactions. Is that allowed by CD Projekt RED and is it seems possible in terms of technical side?

I have no idea about how much control do modders have on the game so let's discuss it.

The game has been out less than 3 weeks. It was months before we saw serious modding for fallout 4/skyrim, and that was with people having over a decade's experience working with iterations of the same engine. FFS give it time.

I'd have to disagree even Morrowind had its MA community and it was not that sparse even back then and is still being modded now. Oblivion was the big leap in the amount of MA themselves, some of whom did move onto FO3 but few of them then continued into New Vegas (not the real big names).

Disagree all you like. But there's simply no comparison between today's modding community, and what it was pre-Skyrim. Most of the mods coming out of the community were coming from the same handful of old school modders, many of whom were still using third party tools. Oblivions construction kit didn't really add many new modders, because it was nowhere near as easy to use, or near as capable of what Skyrim's Creation Kit is.

Try not to conflate the term "modders" with "mod users". Simply adding mods to the game's Data folder doesn't make someone a "modder". It makes them a "mod user". Users are NOT what make up the modding community.

Skyrim's Creation Kit grew the number of active modders to a vastly greater degree than Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout: New Vegas did combined.

Many of the most popular old school modders left the scene ages ago. Folks like TerranceKim324 (creator of the Moonshadow Elf Race for Oblivion) and DizzasterJuice (who created the Ares android race for Fallout: New Vegas) to name a couple.

The point is, this game has the opportunity to vastly grow the modding scene on an even grander scale than Skyrim and Fallout 4 did. But that won't happen if modders are left with homebrewed modding tools.

Top Bottom