Male V vs Female V?

+

Who gave the better performance?

• Male V

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • Female V

Votes: 114 72.6%

• Total voters
I truly like the female version a bit more.
Playing the first time on easy with a man, so now after 7 hours i thought why not go for a female on very hard :)

Just curious, who do think gave the better performance?
Haven't played as much with the male V as the female one as that was my first playthrough choice, but I really liked the female V's performance, the male is not as strong, seems a bit off in a lot of places compared to what the situation is. But I still think that both of them deliver a better performance than Silverhand, not to say that Keanu is bad, but he, as male V seems a bit off the mark compared to the situation and delivery in my opinion. I very rarely felt like that with female V.

For me the male voice actor had a very solid performance, really did a good job.

But Cherami Leigh has this natural voice tone that is just soothing and good to hear, that even if she wasn't a very good actor (which she is), it would be very pleasant to hear her.

And she seems to be a very happy person, which helps to lend some charisma to the character. I think that her "natural" voice is higher than the voice that she done for V.

I haven't experienced the female version yet. I was pretty satisfied with the male voice even tho at certain parts it feels he is trying to be gruffer than needed. But on the other hand, because he is doing such a gruffy/tough voice, the more emotinal segments felt all the more impactful to me.

I've been having this conversation a lot over different forums and it's one I enjoy because I love hearing contrasting opinions.

As quite a few already have said, I feel Cherami Leigh's performance is just leaps and bounds above Gavin Drea. The more I converse about it, the more convinced I am that her experience is really what sets her apart. I have two main reasons for my thought process and thats:

1. Her V suits any of the 3 Lifepaths - maaaaybe corpo being a slight outlier here, but not by a huge margin, IMO I think her perfomance works for any of the Lifepaths. I definitely cannot say the same for Gavin Drea.

2. Experience aside, I think he was given very poor direction. The accent, the tone, hell even the register he's sitting in, just doesn't feel right - its like they told him "be more gritty! more MANLY MAN!!" and he went just a little too close to the solid snake spectrum of grizzled. I've even gone as far as to say it feels like she was given a script with more context than he was. But AGAIN, that could be the experience factor. Like an experienced VA knows what questions to ask to get what context for the scene. Who really knows here.

EDIT: I do feel genuinely bad for the guy, because I respect Voice Acting as a profession so much, but it's really just...not great. And as I said, it could very well not necessarily be his vault. I read somewhere that in early trailers he was using a different voice and the internet did its thing so that's how we ended up with what we got. If anyone can confirm or deny this it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm definitely gonna try a female playthrough to experience her performance. Also at least that way I can enjoy a decent male love interest lol

I'm definitely gonna try a female playthrough to experience her performance. Also at least that way I can enjoy a decent male love interest lol

Enjoy it! and when you've gotten some substantial playtime in with it come back and tell us what you think, I'd be interested to hear your reflections/reactions

I only heard a few lines from Male V which sounded okay. However, I’m very happy with Cherami Leigh’s performance. She sounds better to me, but again, I didn’t hear enough from male V to really compare both performances.

the male is not as strong, seems a bit off in a lot of places compared to what the situation is... male V seems a bit off the mark compared to the situation and delivery in my opinion. I very rarely felt like that with female V.

I'm so glad you felt his way as well because this is my BIGGEST issue with male V, which maybe can be chalked up to experience. So many times his responses to something took me out of the scene. Combined with this unecessary gruff and gravely voice, I really didn't enjoy the male playthrough, mainly for this reason. I literally couldn't finish my male playthrough, I only rushed through it because I wanted to compare Panam's romance arc against Judy's.

Right here. This is my BIGGEST issue with male V, which maybe can be chalked up to experience. So many times his responses to something took me out of the scene. Combined with this unecessary gruff and gravely voice, I really didn't enjoy the male playthrough, mainly for this reason. I literally couldn't finish my male playthrough, I only rushed through it because I wanted to compare Panam's romance arc against Judy's.
Yeah I definitely enjoyed his performance more in moments where he acted a lot more light-hearted. The throaty gruff voice can get monotone and pretentious quite fast. That being said, he did a great job still making me fall in love with V.

Last edited:
Top Bottom