What do you think about the future of modding capability?

+
First thing I did was filter out save files and reshades on my nexus site preferences, has made checking for actual mods that much easier.

It's going to take some time and does ultimately depend on what CDPR gives us to work with. For the time being I think there is a discord dedicated to pooling modding knowledge as people tinker around with things, but expect it to be slow. It's not like Skyrim or Fallout where people already had a good understanding of the tools.

First thing I did was filter out save files and reshades on my nexus site preferences, has made checking for actual mods that much easier.

It's going to take some time and does ultimately depend on what CDPR gives us to work with. For the time being I think there is a discord dedicated to pooling modding knowledge as people tinker around with things, but expect it to be slow. It's not like Skyrim or Fallout where people already had a good understanding of the tools.

This is exactly what I meant in my post above yours.

Homebrewed tools are going to limit the number of active modders to primarily coders who understand how to use them. An official toolkit would get mods flowing quickly and in quantity, as it would be far more intuitive for those who don't code for a living.

Disagree all you like. But there's simply no comparison between today's modding community, and what it was pre-Skyrim. Most of the mods coming out of the community were coming from the same handful of old school modders, many of whom were still using third party tools. Oblivions construction kit didn't really add many new modders, because it was nowhere near as easy to use, or near as capable of what Skyrim's Creation Kit is.

Try not to conflate the term "modders" with "mod users". Simply adding mods to the game's Data folder doesn't make someone a "modder". It makes them a "mod user". Users are NOT what make up the modding community.

Skyrim's Creation Kit grew the number of active modders to a vastly greater degree than Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout: New Vegas did combined.

Many of the most popular old school modders left the scene ages ago. Folks like TerranceKim324 (creator of the Moonshadow Elf Race for Oblivion) and DizzasterJuice (who created the Ares android race for Fallout: New Vegas) to name a couple.

The point is, this game has the opportunity to vastly grow the modding scene on an even grander scale than Skyrim and Fallout 4 did. But that won't happen if modders are left with homebrewed modding tools.

I never found the Oblivion CK hard nor did anyone else I know who used it, it was so much easier after the Morrowind one. You seem to forget entirely the MA community does not have to only be those who upload, many just work for themselves or with friends and only make mods for those friends.

There were less MA yes, sparse I would never agree with as the percentage of MA to the copies of either Morrowind and Oblivion sold compared to Skyrim would obviously create smaller numbers.

I've been making mods for myself for 20 years, many before I even had the Internet and I had many friends who did the same. So your 'sparse' is based more on how many could actually upload not how many of us there actually was.

I am not 'confused' as to what a Mod Maker is, neither the fact there was always a good community which yes grew bigger with Skyrim because more people played it. The real thing is how many of the game purchasers actually tried to make mods. Many of those I know who play Beth Games make their own, yet you would not know about them.

There may be more in your opinion but TBH many are not even worth downloading, it's great players mod and more should so they understand what's involved, uploading is a different thing altogether.

Do remember Oblivion sold many millions less than Skyrim did, so has the percentage of mod makers actually stayed relevant to how many copies of the game was sold. Plus the Nexus was not the only main contender Planet and Others also hosted many mods, they were all over the place including swapping them at School, College or Uni.

Do remember Oblivion sold many millions less than Skyrim did, so has the percentage of mod makers actually stayed relevant to how many copies of the game was sold. Plus the Nexus was not the only main contender Planet and Others also hosted many mods, they were all over the place including swapping them at School, College or Uni.

My point is, THIS game has the potential to grow the active modder community even further. But that's a lot less likely if the game's fanbase is relegated to learning how to code on third party tools.

I'm a Nexus member myself, but it's the LAST place I'd hang out. I've personally built (and released) over a dozen custom race mods for both Skyrim and Fallout 4. Tried releasing a mod on Nexus way way back. But after a spat with their [...] admin over a promotional screenshot for one of my mods, I told them to piss off and took my stuff to another well known modding site. So yeah, I know all about "other" places for modders and their stuff.

The Creation Kits for Skyrim and Fallout are vastly more intuitive than the usual third party tools many modders are relegated to use with other games. The Creation Kits grew the active modder community exponentially. That's just a fact of basic math. And a lot of those newer modders went on to create some pretty impressive mods. Especially those that worked in teams to put together the DLC comparable stuff. Like Falskaar and Beyond Skyrim. Either of which would have taken many months (or even years) longer to create if not for the official tools they were built with. Imagine what Night City would be like if THESE GUYS got their hands on an officially supported kit for this game. They made a whole SERIES of stuff. And it all adds MASSIVE amounts of content to Fallout 4.

In six months time, and with an officially supported kit, this could be an entirely different game. And likely much better for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In six months time, and with an officially supported kit, this could be an entirely different game. And likely much better for it.

Look we have some different opinions on what mod making was like at different times and as a matter of interest I also made custom Race mods, one of which created my name back with Oblivion. With an ancient Breton race bloodline who still had magic but also used combat skills in feudal situations hundreds of years before the Bretons settle into what they are now.

BUT I 100% agree with the line I quoted, give us a Cyberpunk style CK and the game will be turned around. Hell if someone could make an Edit version to be usable we could maybe have a start. I'd have to see what the game looks like when laid out in the Edit format? I can place items in game with Edit, takes a bit of messing about but once you work out the positioning it's not that hard but I'd really rather only do that if I'm forced to while waiting on a CK.

PS: Don't forget MMM and OOO from Oblivion then MMM in FO3, FOOK2 and other overhauls in FO3. Weapon Mod Kits in FO3 by a brilliant MA. Oblivion we used Bash, Merge anything to get the 200 mod limit to accept more than 200 by merging, Never found I wanted to do that again (too much work, He He), even with FO3 which I worked on for a couple of years helping the FOOK2 team.

I can only hope for a comprehensive Dev-Kit. They already stated on various platforms that there will be one but not to what extend. Hopefully it'll be wider than the one for Witcher 3. Just imagine the possibilities with a Dev-Kit the extent of the Skyrim Dev-Kit.

BUT I 100% agree with the line I quoted, give us a Cyberpunk style CK and the game will be turned around. Hell if someone could make an Edit version to be usable we could maybe have a start. I'd have to see what the game looks like when laid out in the Edit format? I can place items in game with Edit, takes a bit of messing about but once you work out the positioning it's not that hard but I'd really rather only do that if I'm forced to while waiting on a CK.

And I've been saying it since this game released.

Any "quality" modder (or team of), regardless of when or where they got their start, can see the HUGE potential this game has when it comes to mods, and how much CDPR could benefit from supporting them to a meaningful extent. Making an officially supported kit all the more essential to expanding it's popularity and playerbase.

Make it similarly intuitive for the average user like Bethesda did with their Creation Kits, and the quality modder base will expand yet again, as new up-and-coming modders will emerge. I've created mods for a number of games (mostly small stuff for myself pre-Skyrim), and made my own name after acquiring permission from the aforementioned TerranceKim324 to port his Moonshadow Elves race mod to Skyrim. I then ported it again to Skyrim's Special Edition, and went on to create a bunch more for Skyrim (Demoness, Angels and Demons, Daughter of Coldharbour, Dranei, Wildlings, and others), and finally an android race for Fallout 4 (Droids of the Commonwealth).

The point being, ANYONE can become a quality mod builder with the right tools to make mods right. And who better to build the kit than the devs who built the game it's to be used for? ;) (y)

{Snip}
Oblivions construction kit didn't really add many new modders, because it was nowhere near as easy to use, or near as capable of what Skyrim's Creation Kit is.
{Snip}

As I write this I am now thinking that I do not actually disagree with most of what you said. In part because I would only be guessing as to why there are SO MANY mod authors now than in my day (I started in the 90s with Hex editing then dedicated myself to only Bethesda Game in the early 2000s). Maybe IN PART because all high schoolers are now trained in some codding where as when I was in HS I had to teach myself from library books. Or maybe because the internet now makes it much more practical with lessons, tutorials and resource I never had access to "back in the day". Not, sure just guessing.

However I did have a knee jerk reaction to the above accretion that the Creation Kit was harder to use to make powerful mods. It is true that we had the benefit of some GENIUS level third part tools such as the the oblivion script extender.
But making mods for today's games such as Skyrim is FAR harder to do than it use to be. In fact I often have said that Oblivion will be the easiest game in history for amateur coders to mod until they make AI tools that will code program ideas you have for you.

No exaggeration, I literally could have an inspiration and have a GAME MECHANIC working mod to upload to Nexuses in days. Once I woke up at night with an idea that if you wore too many magic items the magic would short circuit and cause painful electrical like arcing effects (sound effects, light bursts and animations) that would force you to limit your number of worn items. I called in sick to work and had that mod done and uploaded to Nexus by my bedtime that day.

If I remember right I had about 40 -ish Oblivion mods made in 10 years. One was an overhaul of the Archery system that was very popular and did things like make arrows fly off target (miss the shot) if your characters marksmanship was not great. Hit locations, grabbing arrows from the air, quiver limits, broken arrows, shooting TWO arrows at the same time and dozens more features. I could only get about half of my Oblivion archery features to work in Skyrim.

Part of the problem was Skyrim used proprietary sub programs (the animation manger was one of them) that Bethesda was not legally allowed to give to mod makers. So it was removed from the Skyrim kit. And the Script system was a nightmare that only allowing very VERY limited scripting to be utilized in a practical way otherwise you would get what we called "script lag".

So as I agree that there may be more mod authors theses days it is definitely not because it is easier to mod these days.

Last edited:
So as I agree that there may be more mod authors theses days it is defiantly not because it is easier to mod these days.

Perhaps "easier" wasn't right.

But modding is infinitely more welcoming as the tool kits (especially for Bethesda games) are FAR more intuitive than what was available pre-Oblivion. So much more so that I can build an entire race mod, complete with controller script, in a single day. Some of the race mods I've built added "multiple" races in a single mod. Each with it's own functions within a single controller script. I've also built a single race, with multiple "variants" on a single controller script (Google: Droids of the Commonwealth and A.S.I.A. at the same location).

If someone had told me in my Oblivion days (when I was doing basic retextures and whatnot) that I would one day achieve such things, I'd have asked them who their dealer was because they were obviously smoking some good shit.

How "easy" modding for a game is, is entirely dependent on how intuitive the tools to mod it are.

But I can certainly agree that modding for "ANY" game is not. But the scene as a whole is forward looking. And if Bethesda proved one thing above all else, it's that simpler, more intuitive toolsets for modding games CAN and DO increase their re-playability AND popularity.

Which at this point, is what this game desperately needs.

Last edited:
Personally I think most people will lose interest in the game itself before CDPR releases modding kits... If they ever actually do it.

Though Cp2077 definitely will provide resources for other games... It is inevitable. I could even bet that all the cyber ware and clothing will soon be implemented as a packs for skyrim and/or fallout. I've already seen exported clothing for fallout....

I also think more players on the Net now compared to Morrowind and Oblivion as well for some is relevant. By the time Skyrim came out the Internet was all powerful with "how to make mods" youtubes by the bucket load.

I actually self taught the Morrowind CK as I had no Internet, same with Oblivion for a fair while, had to use the local College PC's to sneak download Mods while I helped with the free DOS module of basic computing. People doing that course did it for free, some college staff ran it but used a lot of Volunteers, I did DOS basics and hardware. Just a basic introduction into using a PC for those who still found them 'scary'. He He

DOS was obviously not being used as 'DOS' (old school) anymore but someone decided some basic understanding of what you could do with DOS commands was a good idea??? I didn't mind got me onto the Internet for free while I was there. TBH I can hardly remember any of that stuff anymore but that's just early senility creeping in. :LOL:

Pretty much the same type there are for Witcher 3.. Tons of reshades, lots of reskins, some texture replacements, great big boobs and penises and some gameplay tweaks. I don't expect anything major or special but hopefully there will be some useful things along the way.

Most mods get abandoned before the final patch for the game is out anyway so I've never been an early adopter of them.

I modded the sh*t out of GTA San Andreas back in the days.I have made so to say "my version of the game".Replaced all cars,all the handling of the cars ,depending on what car i was replacing.Changed all radiostation music.Added visual enhancement(ENB),before Reshade,even SweetFX was a thing.All the vegetation,all the textures.Made my own custom textures,new clothing for the NPCs and so on... That was the thing that added immense replayability to the game,and extended it's life on PC.I think if at all,we will get only the basic MODkit for CP77 like for the Witcher 3.Not a full fledged REDkit like the Witcher 2.Why?Multiplayer and those sweet microtransactions.The Corpos want you to buy this jacket for eddies,not downloading better looking for free.Hell,modders can make their own MP with the tools.Big no-no.And if the MP is a success,then bye bye single player games!Cough..GTA6 cough..

And it's the right one.

The modding scene was pretty sparse (as far as actual modders go) until Bethesda released Skyrim, and it's Creation Kit just a short time later. Then the whole scene blew up, and mods started to flow at a breakneck pace (though Oblivion and it's kit is ultimately what really started it rolling, followed shortly after by Fallout: New Vegas).

This game has a metric TON more potential, depending on the capabilities of any "official" kit CDPR might potentially put out.

If CDPR is not able to reform the game into everything players hoped for, then they should seriously consider just fixing any remaining bugs, optimize it better to perform on the promised hardware, and then release a decent suite of modding tools and leave what remains to us. Because I guarantee you that if they do, this game will eventually become what they originally envisioned. Or at the very least, a LOT closer than it is right now.

Good post, but you forgot Fallout New Vegas' G.E.C.K. (Garden of Eden Creation Kit) which preceded Skyrim by at least a year.

Good post, but you forgot Fallout New Vegas' G.E.C.K. (Garden of Eden Creation Kit) which preceded Skyrim by at least a year.

Oh, I loved that little app. Thanks for the memory.. So far, there' mostly just character models, but, there's a few decent mods, this video covers some..

Hi everyone.

I was looking at Nexus recently and all I saw was graphical mods and save files. What are your thoughts on how much modders will be able to change Cyberpunk in the future? Did CD Projekt RED say anything about the modding? Is it realistic to expect mods that can also interfere with dialogue systems, like Mass Effect mods?

I'd love to see mods that improves interactions in open world. Since we have animations, modders wouldn't have to create animations by themselves. But it is not that simple of course. They need access and an ability to change dialogues/interactions. Is that allowed by CD Projekt RED and is it seems possible in terms of technical side?

I have no idea about how much control do modders have on the game so let's discuss it.

Morrowind, SKYRIM... were and ARE an exemple for all games developpers & communities modders :

i hope CDPR build a good Online ,,,,

for the solo-endless quest, i hope CDPR AND COMMUNITY build us (mods) A LIVING PLACE TO REST/TO PARTY/TO LIVE when the journey was not fair.

-endless rain,
-drone pet,
-mission terminals :/ assassination/bounty (good/chaos) mission randomizer !

It's fair to assume Cyberpunk 2077 is looking at a year or two of constant updates and patches. This is a disincentive to modders who I imagine would have to update their mods every time CDPR updates or patches the base game. Perhaps it's just not worth bothering with heavy-duty mods until the game itself has emerged from what looks likely to be a protracted period of constant change.

It's fair to assume Cyberpunk 2077 is looking at a year or two of constant updates and patches. This is a disincentive to modders who I imagine would have to update their mods every time CDPR updates or patches the base game. Perhaps it's just not worth bothering with heavy-duty mods until the game itself has emerged from what looks likely to be a protracted period of constant change.

Fair point, yes there are mods that need to be updated with every patch but many can just continue, all depends on what the mod is. Even a full blown quest with new areas and NPC's could still carry on IF the Dev does not change anything that causes a direct issue.

The main issue has always been script extenders, or I should say the mods that use them or similar utility type mods. FO76 goes through it still with every patch with the Perk Loadout Manager if you want to use it with it's full functionality.

I really do not understand the fact a Dev such as Beth releases a game with the full knowledge a Script Extender will follow ASAP. Why not look at the Script Extender and if possible build it into the game, I'd have to assume that is a problem for them?

It also depends on the MA and Teams, a big project takes time to get it going (and make), do they want to release and continue to update it which I'm happy with and make it bigger over time. If yes Dev patches are not such an issue for them? I only have one 'will not do' with any Mod, if it can not load and run without adverse effects right from the beginning of the game, as in a New Start, I will not release or use any other MA Mod that can not do that. That's my test for all Mods and every Dev Patch, always make a new start for 'Major' Mods changes and Game Patches.

The outcome of your character 'could' be different and TBH it seems to be forgotten that old school testing was always done with a brand new start and a clean game (no other mods, no old saves) to test properly. If your testing a game overhaul mod you never ran other mods at the same time until you were 99% it was solid. Only possible exception was using Edit to ensure there were no obvious conflicts with say a collection of new smaller mods.

Top Bottom