Do you think the MP will turn into a cash cow for CDPR?

+

Are you interested in CP77 Online?

• Yes

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I'll check it out, doubt I will spend too much time with it

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 60 58.3%

• Total voters
It's not zero sum, many of the things that would need to be developed for a MP mode to have any staying power are features that the SP experience lacks. Not to say that the most glaring SP issues would be resolved purely integrating MP content but a synergy exists. the difference between rockstar and cdpr in this case is that GTA was released in a more complete state and rockstar was under no perceived obligation to continue working on it.
On the other hand CDPR are performing triage on what was expected to be their magnum opus and will be looking to rebuild their brand, MP could bankroll the work needed for cdpr to finally deliver on the promises that were made and provide bonus depth to the SP experience.
When you say it like that, I get a bit more inclined to agree. I still see it tho from the angle of, the execs were the ones who probably ignored or willingly knew the "bad" state the game was in and still pushed the game out (From the meeting/convo they had with investors if I recall), so if the MP really helps bring in the cash that was "lost" with the refunds and bad PR and stock losses, and even overshoots the intended goal, what incentive will they have to actually focus some of that money back to SP to be fixed and improved rather than simply focus on MP to dish out more content and make more money back like GTA:O?

I think it's more a matter of perspective and trust each one has for the company and the people who might be guiding them.

Last edited:
Every multiplayer game on PC is a kindergarten of grief. I'll delete this game the second it goes multiplayer, I did not buy it for that aspect of game play, in fact I bought it because it was not going to be another GTA V online. There is only a small number in the gaming community that demands ego masterbation by trolling on people just trying to play a game. There is just no way to make this an entertaining multiplayer experience without those people hacking and cheating just to cause chaos.

When you say it like that, I get a bit more inclined to agree. I still see it tho from the angle of, the execs were the ones who probably ignored or willingly knew the "bad" state the game was in and still pushed the game out (From the meeting/convo they had with investors if I recall), so if the MP really helps bring in the cash that was "lost" with the refunds and bad PR and stock losses, and even overshoots the intended goal, what incentive will they have to actually focus some of that money back to SP to be fixed and improved rather than simply focus on MP to dish out more content and make more money back like GTA:O?

I think it's more a matter of perspect and trust each one has for the company and the people who might be guiding them.

Oh some of the executive decisions were shit no doubt, but brand management is just good business. CDPR's biggest strength from a business sense was their brand, going all in on MP is risky, especially when rockstar do the formula better.

Fix the game for multiplayer, but leave the horrendous mess of a single player game as it is?

No. Just..... no.

A stunt like that would be corporate suicide for CDPR. Millions bought this game BECAUSE of what the single player experience was SUPPOSED to offer. 13 million + gamers DIDN'T demand refund when it didn't deliver. But pull a bait and switch like that with a multiplayer version of the game, and you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Oh some of the executive decisions were shit no doubt, but brand management is just good business. CDPR's biggest strength from a business sense was their brand, going all in on MP is risky, especially when rockstar do the formula better.
Indeed, I guess only time will tell then but personally there's this sense of mistrust that has risen towards the company, because I'm sure just a tiny portion of people felt like there was trouble coming with Cyberpunk and they would do what has been done to the playerbase, since the company in most people's eyes was in a "golden" state, different from other developers who only seek profit.

I'm hoping they bring some of the hacking aspects of the game into MP, don't remember any games doing that other than Watch Dogs.

Fix the game for multiplayer, but leave the horrendous mess of a single player game as it is?

No. Just..... no.

A stunt like that would be corporate suicide for CDPR. Millions bought this game BECAUSE of what the single player experience was SUPPOSED to offer. 13 million + gamers DIDN'T demand refund when it didn't deliver. But pull a bait and switch like that with a multiplayer version of the game, and you ain't seen nothin' yet.

I wouldn't worry about that... the multiplayer is being worked on separately by a different team with their own resources. That said, i too would have preferred that those resources had been used to make the game that was marked to be the "most engaging and deeply complex open world rpg ever"... instead we got a mediocre looter shooter action adventure on a stunning map... makes you wonder whether the development of the single player actually was impeded by the need for making the implemented systems also work in a multiplayer setting... but the systems in place (if you can even call them that) are far to lackluster and substandard to ever be considered sufficient to be compared with other (good) multiplayer titles!

Last edited:
the multiplayer is being worked on separately by a different team with their own resources.

That's not going to make a bit of difference.

Because the minute players find out that all the things they expected to be in the game they already paid for can only be experienced in some BS multiplayer garbage they never wanted, you'll see a huge number of the 13 million players who gave them the benefit of the doubt turn on CDPR in an instant.

There's no way the gaming community would allow a bait and switch like that to slide. At least not enough of it to let CDPR come out unscathed. Try it, and the next class action suit won't be from investors. It'll be from the 13 million gamers that gave them a chance to fix and release the game they advertised and promised.

That's not going to make a bit of difference.

Because the minute players find out that all the things they expected to be in the game they already paid for can only be experienced in some BS multiplayer garbage they never wanted, you'll see a huge number of the 13 million players who gave them the benefit of the doubt turn on CDPR in an instant.

There's no way the gaming community would allow a bait and switch like that to slide. At least not enough of it to let CDPR come out unscathed. Try it, and the next class action suit won't be from investors. It'll be from the 13 million gamers that gave them a chance to fix and release the game they advertised and promised.

Well i am not arguing against your position... i am without a doubt among those who are most disappointed by this game!

Multiplayer is very good for RP, especially when its on a private server where people take RP seriously and dont cruise through the city to ruin the experience of others like in official servers.

So would Multiplayer be good? Yes, most definitely!
Do i want to have Multiplayer? Yes.. - BUT - not now. Not until they fixed singleplayer and added everything it needs.

So they shouldnt even think about multiplayer now and just focus on singleplayer.

I am both looking forward to it and dreading it.

The world they've crafted lends itself extremely well to some interesting MP. Assuming it's not some crappy deathmatch type MP. Night City and the lore surrounding it could make for some extremely fun MP. That's why I'm looking forward to it.

I'm dreading it because it could mean CDPR might not devote the time and money necessary to fixing CP2077.

It's important to remember that the MP is going to be sold as it's own product too. Surely CP realizes that in order to do that and market the MP game properly they'll need to fix the single player game first. Surely they realize that if they don't fix the single player game, there is just no way I'd, and many others, would ever believe they can properly release and maintain an MP game. Furthermore, they've already said they might have to push it back to 2023. So that's 2 years to get CP2077 as close as possible to their original vision.

At least, I hope they do.

i can already predict MP will be fun for some, but pain in the ass for others, like glitches, bugs, balance issues, hackers, cheaters, griefers, trolls and abusers.

Really depends on what the Multiplayer even is? Is it going to be GTA Online styled? If so then the game needs significant improvements in the general performance sense for that to really be a worthwhile experience. Will it be some form of just PVP? That would be an interesting one, Gameplay and specifically, gunplay is quite good but I don't think it has the meat to make a PVP MP game worth playing imo.

I'm not against MP Cyberpunk as I think playing GTA:Oesque Cyberpunk mp game with friends could be insanely fun, but I think the general audience right now is wanting the singleplayer game to be in an actual complete state and if it isn't when MP eventually releases then I'm more than sure people will be upset.

I'm actually quite happy I'm not the only one thanks to this thread, it was just a bit overwhelming to see so many people hyping up the MP already on other threads and videos and not seeing any sort of push or simple comment against it.

It depends on what CDPR is able to accomplish between now and then. I hope that they stay true to their word and work on fixing/improving the game + provide us extra content between now and then. MP is basically, what? A year or two away? We will see what they do between that time.

For me, it would also be dependant on what type of MP the game will be. I don't care much for competitive MP, so I'd be reluctant to play it unless it also has heavy story elements. If it was like Mass Effect MP or GTAO, then sure I'd be more willing to check it out.

It depends on what CDPR is able to accomplish between now and then. I hope that they stay true to their word and work on fixing/improving the game + provide us extra content between now and then. MP is basically, what? A year or two away? We will see what they do between that time.

For me, it would also be dependant on what type of MP the game will be. I don't care much for competitive MP, so I'd be reluctant to play it unless it also has heavy story elements. If it was like Mass Effect MP or GTAO, then sure I'd be more willing to check it out.
Yeah, I see a lot of people asking what sort of MP it might be on this thread, and to me there's no other way to make a MP that makes sense with this universe and with microtransactions as planed if not a GTA:O kind of mode but with the Cyberpunk thematic.

I prefer singleplayer so I'm not all that interested in it. Might check it out tho.

Personally I'd rather they worked on the sequel but I think it'll be quite a while until we get that (if we ever get it) because there's the MP game that's being worked on and there's also the Witcher 4 project. I just hope they can work on stuff in parallel with multiple teams because I really want to see what's next for V.

Top Bottom