CDPR wouldn't have got much less heat if...

+
And now we’ve come back to the “suddenly, on Dec 10, 2020, the PS4 is absolute garbage and can’t run any games at all” argument.

The game could run Ghost of Tsushima and FF7R pretty damned well, and those games were released this year.

Nothing changed in terms of how games were made, and the next gen consoles literally came out maybe a month or two before the game released.

Calling it “not compatible” is pretty disingenuous.

The fact remains, this game is a next gen game, it absolutely should have been cancelled on old gen the moment they knew it was going to be so demanding on PC, during the 8+ years of work in this project.

The fact remains, this game is a next gen game, it absolutely should have been cancelled on old gen the moment they knew it was going to be so demanding on PC, during the 8+ years of work in this project.

This game isn’t a next gen game. Not by a long shot.

And for what it’s worth, the game did not have 8 years of development or work on the project. Maybe four.

And for what it’s worth, the game did not have 8 years of development or work on the project. Maybe four.

The engine itself had less years, that is all, but no, this has been in the works for much longer, everyone knows this.

I would say two... would not be surprised if the devs first saw the game they were suppose to make (together with us) in the first game trailers (that is what happened with Anthem i believe).

Last edited:
I would say two... would not be surprised if the devs first saw the game they were suppose (to make together with us) in the first game trailers (that is what happened with Anthem i believe).

None of you are even considering how many times the engines might have been scrapped, re-written, or ditched entirely for newer features in updates to it throughout development cycle..

None of you are even considering how many times the engines might have been scrapped, re-written, or ditched entirely for newer features in updates to it throughout development cycle..

True... that is what i would call development hell and not actual development... actual development has all the tools and resources in place in order to progress to a clearly defined goal... said goal might be modified or expanded upon to an extend but never to the point of overtaxing the available resources and tools... otherwise you end up straight back in development hell!

On a more positive note, they now have a really fkn massive truckload of feedback from players on all fronts (bugs, glitches, quest-errors/bugs, logical errors, "fleshing out the base game", combat, "AI" etc,...) that may be able to get them on the right track and help them improve the game from here on out.

On a more positive note, they now have a really fkn massive truckload of feedback from players on all fronts (bugs, glitches, quest-errors/bugs, logical errors, "fleshing out the base game", combat, "AI" etc,...) that may be able to get them on the right track and help them improve the game from here on out.

You mean like it would happen with an early access title... if they only had released it as such... much drama could have been avoided. Well since the game look, feels and plays like a fancy early access title might as well treat it as such? Well if DCPR gives it the appropriate treatment sure... highly doubtful though...

True... that is what i would call development hell and not actual development... actual development has all the tools and resources in place in order to progress to a clearly defined goal... said goal might be modified or expanded upon to an extend but never to the point of overtaxing the available resources and tools... otherwise you end up straight back in development hell!

I'm pretty sure that was the case here, the outcome is too rushed. That's where people are getting this, 2-4 number of years spent.

You mean like it would happen with an early access title... if they only had released it as such... much drama could have been avoided. Well since the game look, feels and plays like a fancy early access title might as well treat it as such? Well if DCPR gives it the appropriate treatment sure... highly doubtful though...

Yes, if they had just released this as Early Access, I'd have given full support.. I must say that myself.

I really don't know if the devs or the engine can make it happen in every point. Even if they want to.
And I'm not blaming them in this point. Eheh. Car physics, NPC-AI - I think this is something for experts with a f*load of
experience.

I'm pretty sure that was the case here, the outcome is too rushed. That's where people are getting this, 2-4 number of years spent.

Yes, if they had just released this as Early Access, I'd have given full support.. I must say that myself.

Agreed... i would have preferred this to be early access instead of a "finished" product... if this was early access i would still have hope! But for them to actually put in the work to deliver on their promises... man... that seem really far fetched... this isn't to say that i would not want that to happen, i very much do... i just can't see it happening!
Post automatically merged:

I really don't know if the devs or the engine can make it happen in every point. Even if they want to.
And I'm not blaming them in this point. Eheh. Car physics, NPC-AI - I think this is something for experts with a f*load of
experience.

Wich they apparently no longer have...

Agreed... i would have preferred this to be early access instead of a "finished" product... if this was early access i would still have hope! But for them to actually put in the work to deliver on their promises... man... that seem really far fetched... this isn't to say that i would not want that to happen, i very much do... i just can't see it happening!
Post automatically merged:

Wich they apparently no longer have...

The official statement is they will fix it no matter the cost, but as for how much beyond fixing will include missing features, I don't expect a No Man's Sky recovery as I might have years before, but we shall see.

They can still hire good talent, it just will cost them decent contracts, and flexibility.

The engine itself had less years, that is all, but no, this has been in the works for much longer, everyone knows this.

So, the game got started in its development after TW3 fully finished. That was May 15, 2015 for the initial release, and the final DLC was May 31, 2016. CDPR doesn’t have enough people to split their development between two games. So at MOST, you get about 5 years and change, presuming they left a small group on the DLC works, which I doubt for many reasons, considering the absolute scale of those DLCs and the rate at which they were released, which means at MOST it’s four years and some change.

To put it another way, we’ll take RDR2 into account. Rockstar has what, 2-4K employees working on their game? Took eight years to complete. There’s no way 2077 was being made during the same time as TW3, and if it was, you still have maybe half to a fourth of what Rockstar has, and either the same amount of time or half that time working on this game.

Ultimately, who owns the Cyberpunk franchise, anyway? It isn’t CDPR, so I’ll at least give you that hint. In addition, you also have teams working on the GOTY Edition for TW3 and ports to new systems, etc, which also diverts manpower (no matter how small) from the 2077 project.

In that development time, most of it had to be crafting the city itself, and other assets that would be used within the city. That takes no small amount of time. At least, a year, at most, more than likely half if not two thirds of development time itself. Then comes story and actual gameplay elements, which more than likely the gameplay elements were created before the story, since that takes more precedent when it comes to game development anyway.

Once that’s done, it’s story, then you take time to fix bugs—which depending on the company might end up coming before the story anyways, though there will always be bug fixing and optimisation after the story process.

Then we get into the crux of the issue. Realistically, they had maybe four to five years of work on the game as a whole, with half to a fourth of the size of an actual AAA studio, with the newly added pressure of shareholders and a consumer base that doesn’t want to wait for the game to be completed.

You might want more time on the game, as a developer, but shareholders tell you to release the game, unaware of the actual process and only concerned with the bottom dollar, and absolutely absolved of any fault come release. So when the game is pushed out unfinished and without the proper bugfixing and optimisation needed, you then get this trainwreck of a release, which then causes the shareholders to note the dropping stock and dwindling returns from their investment and ask CDPR what went wrong.

And then you have people trying to assume the game was “too powerful” for current gen, completely sliding the crux of the issue that it’s mostly bugfixes and optimisation needed that makes the game run properly, pointing the blame at hardware they claim is “outdated and underpowered” when games like Ghost of Tsushima and the FF7R also came out the same year with arguably the same if not slightly better graphics and lighting, and both ran perfectly fine on last gen.

Then we get into the issue of it being “clearly made for next gen” when even the highest spec PCs have issues, the next gen consoles can’t handle the game and it’s not because of hardware. It’s because of performance issues related to poor optimisation and not enough time in the oven.

I think I covered everything.

So, the game got started in its development after TW3 fully finished. That was May 15, 2015 for the initial release, and the final DLC was May 31, 2016. CDPR doesn’t have enough people to split their development between two games. So at MOST, you get about 5 years and change, presuming they left a small group on the DLC works, which I doubt for many reasons, considering the absolute scale of those DLCs and the rate at which they were released, which means at MOST it’s four years and some change.

To put it another way, we’ll take RDR2 into account. Rockstar has what, 2-4K employees working on their game? Took eight years to complete. There’s no way 2077 was being made during the same time as TW3, and if it was, you still have maybe half to a fourth of what Rockstar has, and either the same amount of time or half that time working on this game.

Ultimately, who owns the Cyberpunk franchise, anyway? It isn’t CDPR, so I’ll at least give you that hint. In addition, you also have teams working on the GOTY Edition for TW3 and ports to new systems, etc, which also diverts manpower (no matter how small) from the 2077 project.

In that development time, most of it had to be crafting the city itself, and other assets that would be used within the city. That takes no small amount of time. At least, a year, at most, more than likely half if not two thirds of development time itself. Then comes story and actual gameplay elements, which more than likely the gameplay elements were created before the story, since that takes more precedent when it comes to game development anyway.

Once that’s done, it’s story, then you take time to fix bugs—which depending on the company might end up coming before the story anyways, though there will always be bug fixing and optimisation after the story process.

Then we get into the crux of the issue. Realistically, they had maybe four to five years of work on the game as a whole, with half to a fourth of the size of an actual AAA studio, with the newly added pressure of shareholders and a consumer base that doesn’t want to wait for the game to be completed.

You might want more time on the game, as a developer, but shareholders tell you to release the game, unaware of the actual process and only concerned with the bottom dollar, and absolutely absolved of any fault come release. So when the game is pushed out unfinished and without the proper bugfixing and optimisation needed, you then get this trainwreck of a release, which then causes the shareholders to note the dropping stock and dwindling returns from their investment and ask CDPR what went wrong.

And then you have people trying to assume the game was “too powerful” for current gen, completely sliding the crux of the issue that it’s mostly bugfixes and optimisation needed that makes the game run properly, pointing the blame at hardware they claim is “outdated and underpowered” when games like Ghost of Tsushima and the FF7R also came out the same year with arguably the same if not slightly better graphics and lighting, and both ran perfectly fine on last gen.

Then we get into the issue of it being “clearly made for next gen” when even the highest spec PCs have issues, the next gen consoles can’t handle the game and it’s not because of hardware. It’s because of performance issues related to poor optimisation and not enough time in the oven.

I think I covered everything.

If you are trying to say, internal work doesn't count if the team is coming back to work on the last DLC project, I guess you just think the company is tiny. It hasn't been for a while, that billion dollar drop in stonks, kinda proved that.

Meaning there was plenty to beef up the team internally, but, where'd that money go? Marketing fluff? I mean, the evidence..

You ignore storywriters in the background, artists working out designs, and even the folks who probably were in contact with Pondsmith, and discussing ideas, et cetera, all of which are a part of the development process and more I'm certainly missing.

Customers waiting for a product, gosh, where have I not seen this problem.. Oh, that's right with companies that don't announce their completion before the products are finished..

They would have had more time if they hadn't said it was done in January 2020..

Optimization on an ancient console, can only go so far when the engine was literally being updated into the last second of the release and launch.. Stop it.

Even if the game wasn't so hyped, it would still be a flop. People would still be slamming it, albeit not to such an extent as the current situation. It's a mediocre game at best IMO...ignoring the bugs. It has graphics and acting going for it, maybe story, that's it. GTA San Andreas (2004) owns it, from a logical gameplay point of view.
Kingdom Come: Deliverence (2018) did a waay better job of implementing a first person, immersive RPG with detailed world and great story and motion captured acting, with a good looting system, and that game was the FIRST game EVER of a rookie studio (Warhorse Studios)...fanboys will say: "But look noob, CP2077 has so much more variety, it's themes don't even compare yada yada"...sure, but i'd rather prefered CP2077 would have been simpler, but controlled and smartly designed.
At this point I just want to see a roadmap for CP2077, or at least learn of CDPR intentions for the game....TRUTHFULL intentions, no more hype.

Top Bottom