[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
In the end, that's a philosophical question every player has to answer for themselves.
My dear friend Michael is Jewish and would probably take the mikoshi route, because to him, personally, he has no afterlife for his soul to go to.
A catholic friend of mine might rather die in the devil ending than to risk his soul.

I personally am more in Michaels side to be honest.
A philosophical question that get's brushed aside due to a more immediate existential quandry. There's no room in the story to even breathe and absorb what's happened before you're time skipped away to the cutscene of choice.

A philosophical question that get's brushed aside due to a more immediate existential quandry. There's no room in the story to even breathe and absorb what's happened before you're time skipped away to the cutscene of choice.
Sadly, that's true. It's nonetheless something a player has to decide on their own.

It's off course a choice between crap and crap....

Your V is dead. They black out and die. The copy is just that, a copy. It might think it is V, but it isn't V, and it will never be V.
But why do you think so?
Even if it is a copy of V's memories, it is still in the real V's body. That is, it's V.

But why do you think so?
Even if it is a copy of V's memories, it is still in the real V's body. That is, it's V.

Yes. That's one of multiple ways to look at the implied problem.

I could also argue, that V already died in the motel when Mr chill stopped being chill.

Yes. That's one of multiple ways to look at the implied problem.

I could also argue, that V already died in the motel when Mr chill stopped being chill.
ah Mr let's talk about my dastardly plan while the patsie is in the toilet then give the player no option to react to the highly sketchy dialogue going on outside.

Story can be about character or the adventure. If it goes with character - its about him/her and how s/he changes along the way.
if it is about adventure, character can stay the same (like James Bond or Johnny Silverhand) but the world around protagonist changes or is saved from changing.

And CP77 by the end of the day is about nothing.
Great story that completely lacks punch line since it’s neither about the character (because V is dead) nor about the adventure because world stays the same.

And CP77 by the end of the day is about nothing.
Great story that completely lacks punch line since it’s neither about the character (because V is dead) nor about the adventure because world stays the same.
Technically, V only dies in one ending. Half of the others are his/her transformation, the other half are open finals.
But yes, in a game with a flat storyline focused entirely on character survival, moving that survival into an open ending is nonsense.

If the game would even give a small hint about continuity at the end, like like that something is in the making like Arasaka is working on the technologi, that Alt founds something to save V, that Biotechnica can do something.

nope, zero, nada. Even more story goes lengths to fill any holes like saying in every occasion that you have 6 months and nothing can be done. Even Mikoshi/Save Your Soul ending is with this classic makeover “there is currently no technology that could save you”. And the side note - said by Goro if you saved him in the why that completely defies his character.

nope, zero, nada. Even more story goes lengths to fill any holes like saying in every occasion that you have 6 months and nothing can be done. Even Mikoshi/Save Your Soul ending is with this classic makeover “there is currently no technology that could save you”. And the side note - said by Goro if you saved him in the why that completely defies his character.
lol... Did it ever occur to you that these Arasaka worms were just lying to V? It's Devil ending :)

Technically, V only dies in one ending. Half of the others are his/her transformation, the other half are open finals.
But yes, in a game with a flat storyline focused entirely on survival, moving survival into an open ending is nonsense.
If only they would make a Soulkiller thing something relevant to the story.
Like give you this option in the middle of the second act with choice either way to with engram or look for other way.
Nope, we hear that Soulkiller kills “soul” (whatever this means in the world deprivated from religion, with even V making remarks to this crazy prophet that no one in NC has soul).
Alt also says that this changes everything in sinister fashion.

So at the end of the game, after countless of hours we are left with option go with Soulkiller or die. Actually you die nevertheless which only adds a sense of complete futility to the mix along with next immersion breaking logical error/plot hole about DNA, which we also hears for the first time.

Nope.
V dies anyway.
Either immediately when merging with Alt (end of V individuality = death), either in 6 months. When the Almighty Deus Ex Machina of the game says "Sorry, 6 months top", you'd better believe it.
So, in my opinion, V's a goner, no matter what.
Also, selling to Arasaka is definitely a bad idea ("Never trust a corp") considering the background. It's clearly shown that Hanako does not give a rat tail about you anymore, and I think uncle Saburo would happily flatline you for good at any moment.

Is it possible, according to the lore of the game, for example, to abandon Alt, return to the body, connect yourself to the net, then disconnect from the body and fly away into cyberspace alone?
Hmm, I'm really not very knowlegable about the CP lore but as I see it that shouldn't be possible.
Firstly, I'm pretty sure you can't just abandon Alt without its consent, after all Alt is a quite powerful entity.
Secondly, as far as I got it, 'you' are running on a bioprocessor (your brain) and only exchange data with the net via an interface. To disconnect from your body, you would need something like Soulkiller, a software that can exactly analyse and understand how data is stored and processed in your brain, to then digitise and compile it into machine code which can be run on the digital processors of the computers comprising the net. Unfortunately, it seems your brain gets 'formatted' in the process...

Next thing is the glorious marketing stunt. I mean arasaka is literally selling immortality at that point - all you have to do is to sacrifice your own offspring? What the fuck?
Well, the target group for this kind of product are probably only the most filthy rich corpos, people who probably didn't get into their positions because they are so very sympathetic. People like this have 'offspring' because they have built a legacy that they need to pass on to someone, their family at best. But, when you can just come back in a new body, you don't technically die, so there is to need to pass on a legacy - it all can remain in your posession. Which leaves the 'offspring' with a new lifetask: instead of inheriting their parents legacy, they now inherit their parents mind. No need to pass on the baton... Would fit this part of the cyberpunk society perfectly.

Frack me, that's sinister. I'm honestly a bit shocked about myself when I came up with that idea...

There is no need for the cancer, other to make the player feel sick.

That's the whole point. It's not necessary.
I agree and QFT.
It made me feel sick. As I already wrote several hundred pages before, I had my share of terminal condition stories this year, wouldn't have needed another one in my favourite medium of entertainment.
In my opinion, anyone who thinks it'd be a great idea to put a terminal condition into his story just for the shock effect, obviousely didn't have to suffer from one, be it themselves personally or co-suffering from the condition of a loved one. I already had both, cancer myself (got healed, I'm good) and I also accompanied my GF through her four years of terminal cancer, from diagnosis till the bitter end. That is not something you just shrug off. And it is no fun in any way or form.

I don't even mind if is handled in a meaningful and respectful way, to tell a story, or to show all the moral and emotional struggles that go with such conditions. But just for shit and giggles or the sheer drama? No, no and no. I won't have that, dear storywriters. That is bad taste and can leave your audience with a really soured experience.

ALSO, WHY AM I COUGHING UP BLOOD? This legit was not explained and still makes no sense?????
For the effect. It ought to make you feel awkward. Because coughing up blood is a terrifying experience, I can tell you that much.

Last edited:
lol... Did it ever occur to you that these Arasaka worms were just lying to V? It's Devil ending :)
Story wise no. Hanako goes great lengths to save V even is there are countless opportunities to flatline him/her.

for me as much as I like this ending for its sinister feel, it doesn’t make much sens.
On the one hand Arasaka pour millions eddis into saving V. On the other it’s still the same ending, with the same illogical DNA thing.

On the side note this even contradicts the science itself. DNA has nothing to do with how synapses are formed other then some
rudimentary rules. And the way synapses are formed how many with which neurons is responsible for everything In brain especially with higher functions like intelligence and personality.
They are formed completely unrelated to the DNA in this aspect, and more during maturation of brain.
The biochip probably works in the way that it is mapping neurons and it’s synapses which again is not DNA related.

oh another plot hole.

If only they would make a Soulkiller thing something relevant to the story.
Like give you this option in the middle of the second act with choice either way to with engram or look for other way.
Nope, we hear that Soulkiller kills “soul” (whatever this means in the world deprivated from religion, with even V making remarks to this crazy prophet that no one in NC has soul).
Alt also says that this changes everything in sinister fashion.

So at the end of the game, after countless of hours we are left with option go with Soulkiller or die. Actually you die nevertheless which only adds a sense of complete futility to the mix along with next immersion breaking logical error/plot hole about DNA, which we also hears for the first time.
As I already wrote, I do not see a problem in the Soulkiller.
There are two options here.
Or this device magically transfers a digital semblance of a soul (since the soul cannot be copied).
Or it just copies the contents of memory (and creates a simulation based on this memory).
In the first case, V will always be V, no matter which body you load it into.
In the second case, a copy of V will be if you load memory into another body. But V's memory is loaded back into V's body. So it can only be V.
I don't understand why the popular point of view is that V died.

On the one hand Arasaka pour millions eddis into saving V. On the other it’s still the same ending, with the same illogical DNA thing.
V.'s a guinea pig and gives Arasaka a chance to observe how the relic may interact with a wounded host. That's good for them. The R&D allowance may easily cope with that expense. :)
Post automatically merged:

Or this device magically transfers a digital semblance of a soul (since the soul cannot be copied).
Or it just copies the contents of memory (and creates a simulation based on this memory).
In the second case, a copy of V will be if you load memory into another body. But V's memory is loaded back into V's body. So it can only be V.
Because either V. merges with Alt and bye bye V., or V. regains V.'s body and 6 month later, "bye bye V." the same.

Story wise no. Hanako goes great lengths to save V even is there are countless opportunities to flatline him/her.
In a sense, he is "saved". Like the rest of the captive "souls".
Johnny warned not in vain not to trust the corpo-rats. As well as Misty's cards.

because "cancer"

Top Bottom