I don't like the City

+
I was one of the people that hailed CDPR's vision of a colorful cheery Night City with that California sunlight busting through. A lot of people were obviously disappointed and wanted a more blade runner dark and gloomy Night City. As I'm playing this game and driving through the areas I kinda agree, I do think it should have been more Blade Runner less GTA 5. The Blade Runner really sets the mood for violence and has a more somber tone to it. At least have cloudy days cause that is what Neuromancer explained how the weather looks. But its constant sunshine it just really detracts from the mood of Cyberpunk. It just feels like kiddie pg-13 cyberpunk, and it kinda pains me to say it but it kinda looked too clean, the areas all looked very posh, except for a few places in the Glen the areas looked middle class.

Another thing I didn't like about the City is that even though it has a lot of beautiful vistas but you're driving it all looks very monotonous without any landmark areas really.
Had the screen not told me where I am I wouldn't have known except for Pacifica and a few areas in the Glen, other than that it all looks the same.

Another thing is that the city didn't look all that futuristic to me. Maybe its the lack of flying cars, maybe its the fact that driving you're so focused on the pavement you don't look up to see the billboards but overall it definitely didn't scream future. There are ways to make the game feel futuristic but this wasn't it.

Here is what the future should look like:

1457943163_tumblr_nscbyjom0h1qc3ju8o1_540.gif

Wklx.gif

and even thought this game takes place in 2077 it feels like its about 50years behind Blade Runner in terms of tech. Remember it was HIGH tech LOW life.
As I said before I definitely would have preferred more Blade Runner less GTA 5.

I was one of the people that hailed CDPR's vision of a colorful cheery Night City with that California sunlight busting through. A lot of people were obviously disappointed and wanted a more blade runner dark and gloomy Night City. As I'm playing this game and driving through the areas I kinda agree, I do think it should have been more Blade Runner less GTA 5. The Blade Runner really sets the mood for violence and has a more somber tone to it. At least have cloudy days cause that is what Neuromancer explained how the weather looks. But its constant sunshine it just really detracts from the mood of Cyberpunk. It just feels like kiddie pg-13 cyberpunk, and it kinda pains me to say it but it kinda looked too clean, the areas all looked very posh, except for a few places in the Glen the areas looked middle class.

Another thing I didn't like about the City is that even though it has a lot of beautiful vistas but you're driving it all looks very monotonous without any landmark areas really.
Had the screen not told me where I am I wouldn't have known except for Pacifica and a few areas in the Glen, other than that it all looks the same.

Another thing is that the city didn't look all that futuristic to me. Maybe its the lack of flying cars, maybe its the fact that driving you're so focused on the pavement you don't look up to see the billboards but overall it definitely didn't scream future. There are ways to make the game feel futuristic but this wasn't it.

View attachment 11120558
View attachment 11120561

and even thought this game takes place in 2077 it feels like its about 50years behind Blade Runner in terms of tech. Remember it was HIGH tech LOW life.
As I said before I definitely would have preferred more Blade Runner less GTA 5.

Indeed. I'm still laughing about the fact, you can ride/enter flying cars, even glitch into one, but can't pilot one, or even own one and just have the thing auto pilot you even at end game..

Indeed. I'm still laughing about the fact, you can ride/enter flying cars, even glitch into one, but can't pilot one, or even own one and just have the thing auto pilot you even at end game..

would have created good world building if we owned one or at least used one for a mission once. but the narrow narrative told here did not allow for that to happen.

View attachment 11120558
View attachment 11120561

Well there are already some custom shaders that help a lot with that https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/1 and more flying cars and the like are "easy" to add... some of the megabuildings could easily be turned into landmarks by modders... i was wondering that too... there should be at least one building per district that stands out... either thru architecture or size or both... but that is a relatively "easy" fix... compared to all the other stuff that needs fixing!

Yeah. I kind of agree.
I too was rolling my eyes for everyone complaining that the city should practically be constant night and raining and I still do. However, there is some truth to that. The colourful city and bright daylight actually does kind of work against the feeling of doom and gloom the setting requires.

Just looking at the concept art for the game and Cyberpunk RED ttrpg I see how tiny changes would have done much. In these images, while there is sunlight, the slightly more sombre colour palette actually makes a big difference in my eyes.
1609330189397.png

1609330392146.png

would have created good world building if we owned one or at least used one for a mission once. but the narrow narrative told here did not allow for that to happen.

The team even promised we'd have apartments, man, you can break into two of the penthouse's themselves.

I didn't find one nice place in Night City. The ocean and seas are toxic, the rollercoaster is abandond and V was yelling solo "hurray" (so depressing) and the park with the monk is full of garbage.
CP2077 is no way like GTA. And I'm not talkling fanboi, it is a fact. I didn't play online, but you can go jogging with your dog in the green outskirts, drive boats and this water-race-bikes (don't know how they called in english), there are pastell houses at the beach and the ocean is blue etc.
I get your point, that it isn't bladerunner-like. And I had problems with orientation, too.
But - Don't blame it on the sun.

Edit: And parachuting and mountainbikes, everything in a pretty eviroment. Not GTA, eheh.

Last edited:
I didn't find one nice place in Night City. The ocean and seas are toxic, the rollercoaster is abandond and V was yelling solo "hurray" (so depressing) and the park with the monk is full of garbage.
CP2077 is no way like GTA. And I'm not talkling fanboi, it is a fact. I didn't play online, but you can go jogging with your dog in the outskirts, drive boats and this water-race-bikes (don't know how they called in englisch), there are pastell houses at the beach and the ocean is blue etc.
I get your point, that it isn't bladerunner-like. And I had problems with orientation, too.
But - Don't blame it on the sun.

Yeah, not to mention, the majority of comparison's even are about the AI, holy frightening scripting..

The constant sun also doesn't fit the "lore" the game feeds you, they said that due to the "Himalayan Wars" photovoltaics are no longer viable because of all the dust in the atmosphere but we have clear blue sky nearly all the time.

I'm guessing that some "focus group" said the game would look too gloomy if it would be dark all the time so that's what we got.

Yeah, not to mention, the majority of comparison's even are about the AI, holy frightening scripting..

Even Skyrim does a better job at it... yes the megabuilding with V's apartment has more NPCs in it then all of Skyrim... but still they are so static and dumb... they might as well not be there at all!

I was one of those who didn't liked how Night City looked in trailers, wanted this Blade Runner look too but now,damn I love it. I find all six districts distinctive, even subregions are different. Santo Domingo with its industrial Arroyo, Rancho Coronado, derelict suburbia/trailer park/favela thing going on. Watson with its power plant to the north and oil fields, Arasaka warehouses and docks, sadly inaccessible. Kabuki and Little China with its South Asian feel I mean common. Pacyfica reminds me of Los Angles from Escape from LA. I think Night City in terms of design is one of the best out there. It lacks in things to actually do when you run out of side missions. I also hope they add more weather types that would improve overall atmosphere, better AI night and day cycle. But still Night City design is not something I would be picking on.

Yeah. I kind of agree.
I too was rolling my eyes for everyone complaining that the city should practically be constant night and raining and I still do. However, there is some truth to that. The colourful city and bright daylight actually does kind of work against the feeling of doom and gloom the setting requires.

Just looking at the concept art for the game and Cyberpunk RED ttrpg I see how tiny changes would have done much. In these images, while there is sunlight, the slightly more sombre colour palette actually makes a big difference in my eyes.
View attachment 11120582
View attachment 11120588

First pic looks darker just because it is sunset/sunrise (you can see it from the angle of the light source).

I would also have liked more some darker and more depressing views, but still like this Night City is the most beautiful city I have ever seen in a video game.

Even Skyrim does a better job at it... yes the megabuilding with V's apartment has more NPCs in it then all of Skyrim... but still they are so static and dumb... they might as well not be there at all!
Skyrim had over 5000 NPCs in the game, Skyrim (as well as Oblivion and other TES games) used "bubbles" to control the NPC routines, most NPCs did stay within their own bubble and when the player was a given bubble low level background processing enabled to all NPCs in that bubble.
A % of all NPCs in a city or an area was allowed to cross bubbles to make the city more alive, usually by having their main RDs anchored to two or more bubbles.
Enemies did not had low level background processing in general and had their own rather static routines and were anchored to special bubbles around their spawn area.

CP2077 NPC system is archaic even in comparison to Oblivion and even Morrowind.

I was one of those who didn't liked how Night City looked in trailers, wanted this Blade Runner look too but now,damn I love how it looks. I find all six districts distinctive, even subregions are different. Santo Domingo with its industrial Arroyo, Rancho Coronado, derelict suburbia/trailer park/favela thing going on. Watson with its power plant to the north and oil fields, Arasaka warehouses and docks, sadly inaccessible. Kabuki and Little China with its South Asian feel I mean common. Pacyfica reminds me of Los Angles from Escape from LA. I think Night City in terms of design is one of the best out there. It lacks in things to actually do when you run out of side missions. I also hope they add more weather types that would improve overall atmosphere, better AI night and day cycle. But still Night City design is not something I would be picking on.

True it is the best part of the game by far... still obviously not finished... and a lot of room for improvement!
Post automatically merged:

Skyrim had over 5000 NPCs in the game, Skyrim (as well as Oblivion and other TES games) used "bubbles" to control the NPC routines, most NPCs did stay within their own bubble and when the player was in them the background processing for all NPCs in that bubble had low level background processing enabled.

CP2077 NPCs system is archaic even in comparison to Oblivion and even Morrowind.

Agreed... it is embarrassing... and sad...

First pic looks darker just because it is sunset/sunrise (you can see it from the angle of the light source).

I would also have liked more some darker and more depressing views, but still like this Night City is the most beautiful city I have ever seen in a video game.

You're right. And the other picture seems to be pretty cloudy sky, so no sunlight actually.

I still stand by my point that colours convey far better atmosphere.

The team even promised we'd have apartments, man, you can break into two of the penthouse's themselves.

In the first video,
the apartment is at the end of the game you use it if you go for the fixer ending.
And the second one is a mission interior you see how it says hostile when you enter I can't remember which right now, it's a gig I think.
I mean there's a ton of stuff to not like about the game but these, are not it. There are a ton of interiors in the game more than I thought there would be, to be honest. It's more than Gta and on top of that, I don't feel like they're holding back interiors for CP2077 Online like with GTA.

V's Mansion that people are glitching over to see.... that kitchen looks like the one in the endings where V and Pam are living-large? Just saying, this may not be unused content after all but used for that story ending sequence. I haven't played that ending yet myself but saw glimpses from other videos.. hum...

V's Mansion that people are glitching over to see.... that kitchen looks like the one in the endings where V and Pam are living-large? Just saying, this may not be unused content after all but used for that story ending sequence. I haven't played that ending yet myself but saw glimpses from other videos.. hum...

ending V and Pam are living large? when what where???

View attachment 11120558
View attachment 11120561

I think this whole thread is just spiteful, the game is set only 5o years into the future... and yes there is some issues with the game but the visuals of the city is not one of the issues imo, I think each area genuinely is distinct from each other and honestly some of the best graphics I have ever seen in a video game!

Last edited:
Top Bottom