I don't like the City

+
Cyberpunk is not Blade Runner.

Yet Cyberpunk creator Mike Pondsmith has said that back in the 80's when he wrote the Cyberpunk RPG, he basically ripped off Blade Runner and that the movie's aesthetics are essential to the genre.

So let's not pretend that Cyberpunk and Blade Runner don't have clear similarity in style.

Yet Cyberpunk creator Mike Pondsmith has said that back in the 80's when he wrote the Cyberpunk RPG, he basically ripped off Blade Runner and that the movie's aesthetics are essential to the genre.

So let's not pretend that Cyberpunk and Blade Runner don't have clear similarity in style.
It's clearly inspired by Blade Runner, but also from Ghost in the Shell (flying hologram fishes), Judge Dredd (megablocks) and probably some other works too. At the end is its own unique thing.

I don't think the Night City should look like somebody else's vision (aka Blade Runner creators). I like the Night City the way it is. It has that 80's vibe.

But Cyberpunk 2020 is pretty much post-apocalyptic. You wouldn't expect to find such cities in a world wrecked by nuclear war, plagues, bio-weapons and mass starvation.

It's clearly inspired by Blade Runner, but also from Ghost in the Shell (flying hologram fishes), Judge Dredd (megablocks) and probably some other works too. At the end is its own unique thing.

Sure. I agree. Especially the mega buildings definitely give off strong Dredd vibes.

I still think that Blade Runner aesthetics (neo-noir vibes, gloomy city lit with neon lights etc.) are kind of a staple for the genre. So I don't think expecting that is unreasonable.

That being said, I'm glad that the game isn't constantly dark and rainy. That would get tedious pretty fast. But looking at the city as is, it just doesn't feel like the polluted hellhole the lore of the game hints at.

Sure. I agree. Especially the mega buildings definitely give off strong Dredd vibes.

I still think that Blade Runner aesthetics (neo-noir vibes, gloomy city lit with neon lights etc.) are kind of a staple for the genre. So I don't think expecting that is unreasonable.

That being said, I'm glad that the game isn't constantly dark and rainy. That would get tedious pretty fast. But looking at the city as is, it just doesn't feel like the polluted hellhole the lore of the game hints at.

Yeah, there should be bigger buildings, and more of them.

ending V and Pam are living large? when what where???
yeah there is an ending where it shows Pam in a kitchen that looks just like the one from the hidden V's mansion, and V walks into the room... might be the "Path of Glory" epilogue... I'll have to dig up the video and check..

Video of V's hidden mansion in an ending... so it is used at some-point in the game...
Jump to about 7:50 in...

I gotta admit the night/day cycle feels odd. Darkness should last way longer. In my gameplay isn't even raining (only in story quests or side quests - so in linear, prescribed situations).
On the other hand I like the city, I jst wish there was more areas with scy scrappers and more accesible buildings with higher floors.
I'm not a big fan of San Domingo or Pacifica, these locations don't feel like 2077 to me.

Bruh have you even seen Pacifica? that place is the absolute definition of fucked up
There are alot of problems with the game but when it comes to world design they fucking nailed it ,even mike pondsmith thinks so

there is absolutely no interaction with city only 2 JoyToys and the rest of map is kill gangs. They say its Night City, to me it was Dead City

While cyberpunk isn't blade runner, I do see some of your points. Don't get me wrong, I love the design of NC. But it's supposed to be a f'd up version of the future right? I mean that plus it's only 50 years. Keep in my blade runner's movie in the 80's was a very ambitious look into the future, where as I see NC to be more believable.

The bigger problem is the immersion. The AI isn't that great, and for a place that has 10291082 doors and buildings, you can't go many places.

They could add in more AV's and expand the city a bit. Allows us to actually buy a damn AV. I personally wish more of the world looked like the corporation area- but not too many people have money in NC.

I do feel the same indeed, below is my comment in another thread where you'd find all the concept art, which gives such a better vibe and atmosphere of what Night City could be (Link to the thread in question)

"It kinda pains me to find this thread now, after almost 60 hours of playing the game, and see how strong of a vibe this concept art is giving, compared to what the game actually gives you.

There are many issues with the game, on which almost everyone is focusing right now, but I hope that once these are being dealt with, we'll start diving into the environment, and how it sadly fails to make you feel that cyberpunk world is alive.

The concept art, while being simple static images, make me feel this world more than walking through these neighbourhoods in the game. I keep trying, but I struggle to feel the environment, the atmosphere/the vibe of these neighbourhood. Everything seems too static, NPCs and their routines are dull, weather effects and changes are too. There is something missing, this city has no soul.
I won't direclty compare it to WItcher 3 because the environment is really different, but in the latter I loved just walking through a town or a village, through a field, a forest etc... you could hear the winds through the leaves, see the trees bend when it gets gusty, admire sunrise and/or sunset, building appearing out of the fog, weather effects were great and I was hoping to get the same pleasure walking through Night City, I was hoping they'd manage to create an environment that would feel as alive, albeit completely different.

And where are the creative side quests CDPR got us used to with The Witcher 3?!!!
I intend to do them all before the final main mission, but apart from "Helping the Peralez" so far I feel all I'm doing is neutralising or stealing targets, there is no interesting side story, no development... Can't believe I'm saying this but I end up quitting the game after a few of these sides quests/jobs because I'm bored.

Bugs will be fixed, don't know how long it will take but they surely will be. How Night City feels though, I don't think anything will/can be done there anymore...
"

I personally don't mind it not being as dark as in Blade Runner but it needs to be more dynamic to feel alive. I'd love more impressive (noticeable would be nice already) weather effects, maybe more flying objects, more interactivity with the environment... it's hard to point at something in particular, as a great atmosphere comes from many different things that all add up but yeah, it's kinda dead right now.

Also, wasn't the reason why it was first person vue only because they wanted us to feel how "vertical" the city could be, wasn't it said that maybe the map isn't that large but we'd keep going up and down in buildings?

I personally don't feel we get to experience this "verticality" that much. Maybe a couple main missions play with it, one definitely - you'll know what I'm talking about if you've finished Act 2 - , but for all the rest I end up playing at ground level 99% of the time... This doesn't help.

Well it depends, Silverhand's story takes place in 2020 I think? And the city is there already futuristic so in 2077 it could be way more.

Yeah. Cyberpunk setting timeline diverges from real world in the 90's, which makes sense, since it's originally written in mid 80's.

So whether it's 2020, 2077 or 2177 is pretty irrelevant, since the world has very little to do with ours at this point.

I won't direclty compare it to WItcher 3 because the environment is really different
This is one of the gripes i have with the gaming community many people lie to themselves when they fail to mention that many of Cyberpunks issues are problems that have been leaked from the witcher 3
-False advertising
-Awful NPCs/AI
-RPG and choices
-A shallow Open World that lacks interactivity

i love the witcher 3 and i still currently prefer it over Cyberpunk but once you start comparing both games the flaws that Cyberpunk has will start to make more sense ,lets face it the witcher 3 was not criticized enough and its very far from the perfect game that the internet makes it out to be

Top Bottom