[Spoiler] So what motivated this entire chain of events?

+
So as I understood it, the whole story was essentially started with the Voodoo Boys wanting to contact Alt.
But why exactly? What was the purpose of risking so much just to get to Alt?

If it was explained, I must have missed it, and it seems pretty important since none of that story would have had happened without it.

If anyone can enlighten me. Thanks!

So as I understood it, the whole story was essentially started with the Voodoo Boys wanting to contact Alt.

If it was explained, I must have missed it, and it seems pretty important since none of that story would have had happened without it.

Just another plot hole i would guess... these things happen if the executives tell the devs (many of them rookies) after years of development hell without proper direction "take what you have stitch it together and put it on all these platforms till (insert unrealistic deadline here)!"

The Voodoo boys believe the Blackwall will inevitably fall to the AIs outside, bringing about some sort of collapse. They were hoping to ask Alt for help. I think they wanted to "go with" her across the wall, but I'm not completely sure.

The Voodoo boys believe the Blackwall will inevitably fall to the AIs outside, bringing about some sort of collapse. They were hoping to ask Alt for help. I think they wanted to "go with" her across the wall, but I'm not completely sure.
Pretty much this. Black wall is temporary, it will eventually fall and rogue ai's will fuck everyone up, so vodoos want to avoid that by having their own net as as they said being on "right side"

So as the story goes...

Alt was a prodigy when it came to net running/hacking, she was the one that developed the first iteration of the Soulkiller program which lead to her capture by the Arasaka corp.

After her death(body) and her escape to the net, she was captured by the Arasakas and kept in their soul prison until Johnny and the crew freed her. She than escaped beyond the Blackwall where she probably merged or got consumed by an AI (it's just speculation but she stopped being just your normal human as you can see in the game)

The Voodoo Boys believe that the Blackwall will eventually fall and all the scary things that lurk behind it will start a war with humanity or at least fuck everything up. So in their never ending wisdom (sarcasm) they decided to contact Alt and make an alliance with her so when that day comes they will be on the winning side. (and learn all they can about going beyond the Blackwall and learning shit from the AIs)

They hired Evelyin to spy on Yorinubu so they could get to the Johnny engram chip and steal it. (they needed part of his code to contact Alt).

Unfortunately for them Evelying figured out that the chip was valuable and decided to steal it behind the Voodoo boys back, prompting her to hire V and the crew.

Which all lead to the amazing clustefuck of poor choices and bad writing that is Cyberpunk 2077 story. (not all of the story parts are bad, don't want to come of to negative :D )

Pretty much this. Black wall is temporary, it will eventually fall and rogue ai's will fuck everyone up, so vodoos want to avoid that by having their own net as as they said being on "right side"

Ok I see, but then this just brings more questions!
1- How the hell did the VDB know Alt had become this massive AI behind the Blackwall?
2- Contradicting the point above, Alt seems to be able to access stuff past the Backwall just fine, like how she helps you taking down satellites when you take Rogue's ending. So why aren't other AIs passing the Backwall the same way?

The whole plan of using Johnny's engram to gain access to Alt seems pretty risky, and that Heist job was a hell of a job to pull in the first place. All in all the strategy of the VDB seems very amateurish and with no real plan to get to their goal, which itself wasn't clear either. It's a shame because it was the pillar that started the whole story about V, it should be more robust.

I also saw it as them attempting to make a Relic chip for themselves at some point. To capture an AI. In a sense becoming Ghostbusters? Or AIbusters.

So as the story goes...

[...]

The Voodoo Boys believe that the Blackwall will eventually fall and all the scary things that lurk behind it will start a war with humanity or at least fuck everything up. So in their never ending wisdom (sarcasm) they decided to contact Alt and make an alliance with her so when that day comes they will be on the winning side. (and learn all they can about going beyond the Blackwall and learning shit from the AIs)

They hired Evelyin to spy on Yorinubu so they could get to the Johnny engram chip and steal it. (they needed part of his code to contact Alt).

Unfortunately for them Evelying figured out that the chip was valuable and decided to steal it behind the Voodoo boys back, prompting her to hire V and the crew.

Which all lead to the amazing clustefuck of poor choices and bad writing that is Cyberpunk 2077 story. (not all of the story parts are bad, don't want to come of to negative :D )

Yeah ok, so same as above: Alt seems to have no problem getting past the Blackwall, so it seems to be a very convoluted way to get in touch with her. And also a dubious strategy for survival which resulted in their death on my playthrough. Damn shooting Brigitte point blank felt good.

Ok I see, but then this just brings more questions!
1- How the hell did the VDB know Alt had become this massive AI behind the Blackwall?
2- Contradicting the point above, Alt seems to be able to access stuff past the Backwall just fine, like how she helps you taking down satellites when you take Rogue's ending. So why aren't other AIs passing the Backwall the same way?

The whole plan of using Johnny's engram to gain access to Alt seems pretty risky, and that Heist job was a hell of a job to pull in the first place. All in all the strategy of the VDB seems very amateurish and with no real plan to get to their goal, which itself wasn't clear either. It's a shame because it was the pillar that started the whole story about V, it should be more robust.
Not everything is gonna get explained, i think making alt some kind of demigod was already a mistake, we've seen what shes capable of doing in arasaka tower so it begs the question she has r overtaken cp world already with her army.
Though she said herself that shes afraid of being captured in mikoshi, so that might give some reasoning as why shes hiding behind a wall

It also does open her up into become the next vilian. She can absorb the engrams in Mikoshi. If I was her. And had control over them. Or even willing service. I would probably get in contact with the Voodoo Boys. Manipulate them into creating a Relic army. Transfering a person into a body. Teaming up and than betraying them. Going after various things. Which, if you let V enter her. Be a way to bring V back. Than stop her take over on companies or the net. If Johnny got absorbed, rescue him. If you went into Mikoshi. She could break you out, and than you do the process. It be cool if the last thing we did was seperate all the engrams. Saving ALT in the process.

The VDBs never reveal their entire plan to V, that just isn't within their nature. But their motivation for wanting to contact Alt is pretty clearly defined during the game. They want to cut a deal with her. They are convinced that the Blackwall will eventually fall, and when it does the Rogue A.I.'s left over from the corporate wars will bring a new dark age to mankind. Now, how Alt is going to be able to help them isn't ever explicitly established. But, given how easily she neutralizes the VDB subnet when it was compromised by Netwatch, I think you can fill in some blanks.

VDBs are established as the best Netrunners in the world of Cyberpunk. Woodman notes that the ICE protecting Clouds might as well not have existed the way the Netrunner who fried Evelyn cut through it. So, even thought the game never explicitly spells it out, you can guess how they learned about Johnny Silverhand's engram and the relic.

The irony is, if the VDBs hadn't decided to be such backstabbing pricks, everyone could have gotten what they wanted. The VDBs didn't care about the chip itself, they just wanted Johnny's Engram. Evelyn wanted to sell the chip to Netwatch for a small fortune. The VooDoo Boys could have worked with Evelyn agreeing to let her keep the relic once they had extracted the fragment of Silverhand's Engram they needed to make contact with Alt.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the whole plot was hastily written to accommodate Keanu Reeves. I don't think you're going to get closure to this thread outside of that.

One major thing worth mention, that the NetWatch wanted Johnny engram. Yorinobu wanted to sell this tech to NetWatch, and their requirement was both - Relic 2.0 and Johnny Silverhand Engram specific. I guess that VDB found out about this deal as they are in constant war with NetWatch, and the rest was told accurate by neocyril.

My guess that NW wanted Johnny Engram with the same goal to lure out Alt, and i belive that further story it might move in Blackwall direction.

I'm guessing the whole plot was hastily written to accommodate Keanu Reeves. I don't think you're going to get closure to this thread outside of that.

Guess again. The stories of Alt and Johnny Silverhand come from the original source material books. Mike Pondsmith, the creator of the Cyberpunk PnP roll playing system and setting noted that CDprojectRed's first pitch to him leaned heavily into the mythology revolving around Johnny and Alt. The game was always intended to heavily feature Johnny, long before they were able to cast Keanu.

Guess again. The stories of Alt and Johnny Silverhand come from the original source material books. Mike Pondsmith, the creator of the Cyberpunk PnP roll playing system and setting noted that CDprojectRed's first pitch to him leaned heavily into the mythology revolving around Johnny and Alt. The game was always intended to heavily feature Johnny, long before they were able to cast Keanu.

I understand that. I was referring to the specific plot of having the Voodoo Boys contact Alt and Johnny's involvement in V's story. Apologies if this wasn't clear.

From what I've come to learn, (didn't know this before) this game is not based simply on the concept of "cyberpunk", cobbling together a cyberpunk world by pulling from all the various cyberpunk sources, but actually based on a very lore-rich old pnp game called CyberPunk (who knew? Not me!)

Anyway, what I've also come to learn is that there is a TON of lore stuff from the old game that's in this game that you wouldn't know if you didn't play the old game. Don't know if CDPR cut or didn't get around to putting that info in the game, or they're planning on doing it later. But yeah I think what you're asking is covered in that old lore.

Wait... it doesn't make any sense. There are people on this forum who believe that there is no (quote, unquote) "internet". So if there is no "internet", then how could the rogue AIs possibly affect anything?

Wait... it doesn't make any sense. There are people on this forum who believe that there is no (quote, unquote) "internet". So if there is no "internet", then how could the rogue AIs possibly affect anything?
There is net but not internet as we know it. In the lore before the end 2020s Rache Bartmoss a very talented Netrunner gets killed. There are 2 sidequests about this character in the game. No Spoilers, Bartmoss' death triggers the release of his premade viruses which destroy the internet that we grasp. All corporations start building their own closed nets. So it is bunch of nets and not one huge internet. Like Arasaka-net or Millitech-net. Even though internet collapsed it is not obliterated. It is back to being lots of nets and not just internet, From my understanding of the lore Netwatch builds an AI called Blackwall. It's purpose to block out Rogue AI's that mean harm. In the game we see regularly that it is possible to gain access to certain networks even if you are from outside. Best one that comes to my mind is from Bes Isis. No spoilers again but it is possible to access a network its just harder since its not interconnected to everything nowadays. Remember the ending? Well Alt is supposed to be in Blackwall but she works her magic. No more spoilers. Got it? Its just bunch of networks but you may gain access to a network by finding an entry point from a connection or straight up establishing a physical entry point.

I hope this clears up your question.

They want to join her in conquering humanity and achieving the Singularity. The irony being that it seems very probable that AI have no interest in harming humanity. That's Netwatch Propaganda and they're apparently more like the Geth in that only a very small number of AI are actually hostile to humanity.
Post automatically merged:

There's a Cyberpunk 2020 board game that is almost literally replicated scene for scene in the mission to rescue Alt after her kidnapping.

I understand that. I was referring to the specific plot of having the Voodoo Boys contact Alt and Johnny's involvement in V's story. Apologies if this wasn't clear.
And once again, I disagree. Those plot points and the lore supporting them had all been established long before Keanu was ever involved with the project. Claiming anyone of them was hastily written to accommodate Reeves blatantly ignores the history of the game.

Top Bottom