Gangs...who cares?

+
A huge issue right now with the exposition of the environment is that V

and the supporting cast do not seem to care one-way or another about the gangs in NC.

Maelstrom gets a decent intro with the "get the Flathead" quest, but the other gangs are just ...kinda...there.

Before the Arasaka heist, it would mean alot to me if:

The gangs were portrayed as a threat to the well-being of the characters in the story.

For example, the Tyger Claws could block a large portion of Watson until dealt with (hospital area for example)...and could in theory repeat the take-over.

Something like a 'Gang Influence' meter, where past a certain percentage the gang in the area overwhelms the NCPD. And at that point, the streets are blocked, or basic necessities like food/transporation/safety are cut off until resolved.

Right now, the motivation for anyone to grind the map and remove all the gang threats is just to level up.

This proposal is suggesting that grinding the map would have a purpose beyond just street cred or leveling up - which seemingly means little to the overall story.

Doing this would provide a much needed reason to grind the map and find the hidden treasures that CDPR spent so much time developing, and does not seem to over complicate the system.

I humbly submit this idea for your consideration CDPR and forum. -w

Attachments

• faction rivals.jpg
    faction rivals.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 162
This is so very true... I expected the gangs to play a more important role - at least to cause troubles on the roads or to be hostile if you are commiting crimes in their area. It would be awesome if you could join a particular gang or start a riot.

But, again, I don't even see them to be that much different. Yes, they look differently, but what is it that makes them different? Like, it would be nice if some were super strong, so you had to use stealth and hack turrets - otherwise, you'd be in real trouble. While others would be all netrunners and there's no way you could take them with quickhacks, so it's vital to get closer for a fight, but they deploy traps. I mean, make it a unique challenge with every single gang - not a boring come-and-destroy kind of experience where I don't care who I'm fighting against. They all are just the same for me.

All our comments are suggestive and (i hope) constructive in intent.

If (and I say 'if' loosely) gang or faction influence had an impact on the environment I feel it would enhance the submersion into the environment and explain alot of the weird stuff happening around town without long expletive written shard narratives.

The material is already there as shard msg's. I actually want to do a few YT videos about the stories in NC as they relate to the shards. There is a TON of material here already.

The idea that I think makes it more apparent to players that dont sit there and read each exposition shard msg, is to remind them that there is an impact of their actions on the environment beyond just killing 'criminals' indiscriminately.

Taken a step further, side-endings might include outcomes where one gang stands above the others and provides support to V....and rewards. This could have it's own storyline eventually if that were desirable.

CDPR if you want someone to tie all the threads together, I'm your guy. -w

A huge issue right now with the exposition of the environment is that V

and the supporting cast do not seem to care one-way or another about the gangs in NC.

Maelstrom gets a decent intro with the "get the Flathead" quest, but the other gangs are just ...kinda...there.

Before the Arasaka heist, it would mean alot to me if:

The gangs were portrayed as a threat to the well-being of the characters in the story.

For example, the Tyger Claws could block a large portion of Watson until dealt with (hospital area for example)...and could in theory repeat the take-over.

Something like a 'Gang Influence' meter, where past a certain percentage the gang in the area overwhelms the NCPD. And at that point, the streets are blocked, or basic necessities like food/transporation/safety are cut off until resolved.

Right now, the motivation for anyone to grind the map and remove all the gang threats is just to level up.

This proposal is suggesting that grinding the map would have a purpose beyond just street cred or leveling up - which seemingly means little to the overall story.

Doing this would provide a much needed reason to grind the map and find the hidden treasures that CDPR spent so much time developing, and does not seem to over complicate the system.

I humbly submit this idea for your consideration CDPR and forum. -w

I'm totally down for this!!! Have the gangs presence be more impactful. Maybe do something like New Vegas where you have a friendship meter to show allies and enemies and have certain missions open (or close off) depending on your standing with gangs. Also like I saved the maelstrom leader during the flathead quest and he was all like "I owe you my life". Then I saw him only once more in a side quest and that's it. There's so much more that can be done with them

I'd like to do many missions for all the gangs..make it like fallout where you can work with gangs and do missions for them..or have them hate you..the gangs are very sweet and they talk about them so much and then the game shows up and just seem like every other npcs

All our comments are suggestive and (i hope) constructive in intent.

If (and I say 'if' loosely) gang or faction influence had an impact on the environment I feel it would enhance the submersion into the environment and explain alot of the weird stuff happening around town without long expletive written shard narratives.

The material is already there as shard msg's. I actually want to do a few YT videos about the stories in NC as they relate to the shards. There is a TON of material here already.

The idea that I think makes it more apparent to players that dont sit there and read each exposition shard msg, is to remind them that there is an impact of their actions on the environment beyond just killing 'criminals' indiscriminately.

Taken a step further, side-endings might include outcomes where one gang stands above the others and provides support to V....and rewards. This could have it's own storyline eventually if that were desirable.

CDPR if you want someone to tie all the threads together, I'm your guy. -w

I agree. I'm a terrible bookworm and I tried to read everything at first but got bored soon. But I think that, apart of obvious problems with gangs mechanics, there's also a problem with the way the game presents - or rather not presents - every area. I mean, yes, areas look differently but they aren't unique - and the same goes for the gangs. Like, there could be particular rules in this place of the city - and breaking them would change your reputation among the gangs. Plus, the reputation system could play a bit bigger role than giving you more cosmetics or automobiles: like, when you first enter the area you're a novice, but after finishing even a few quests the gangs' dialogues would change and they'd help you with the police or easily spot you on the streets if you're causing them troubles.

Besides, there's already a person who ties the quests in a particular area together - a fixer. They are your window to the problems in the area - which is why their personality could add details to "their" area: I believe it'd do better if meeting them eye to eye would be the only way to get more jobs. This person would explain to you the main problems of the area and could help to understand who's in charge and why it's important. Bonus points, if you meet a fixer in a unique situation - like, in the middle of some fight or have to help them escape. At least something is fine - not some random calls.

What I'm trying to say is that they have a somehow built world but it's not enough to make you believe it's alive. I think if they'd focused a bit more attention on details, all of the quests would've been connected to each other in a way that your choices actually mean something - and at least change the percentage of the gangs hostility or friendship...

Well, I would like to have seen more gang vs gang some driveby shooting. Only issue is that 3/10 Gangs I consider to be Immoral! Not talking about Maelstorm!

I'm totally down for this!!! Have the gangs presence be more impactful. Maybe do something like New Vegas where you have a friendship meter to show allies and enemies and have certain missions open (or close off) depending on your standing with gangs. Also like I saved the maelstrom leader during the flathead quest and he was all like "I owe you my life". Then I saw him only once more in a side quest and that's it. There's so much more that can be done with them

Same here. I saved him using the code I found by searching for details in the quest.

Again - he said he'd pay me back when he gets on his feet...IF we ever meet again.

Could there be more somewhere on the map that we have not found yet? I wonder... -w

[BRICK QUOTES:]

save brick.jpg

Same here. I saved him using the code I found by searching for details in the quest.

Again - he said he'd pay me back when he gets on his feet...IF we ever meet again.

Could there be more somewhere on the map that we have not found yet? I wonder... -w

[BRICK QUOTES:]

View attachment 11125325

It seems they wanted to connect every gang with the main plot (since Judy is with the Moxes and we have a quest with the Vodoo gang) but something went wrong once again. I was expecting this guy to somehow pay me back in the end by helping with the guns or people in my last mission but he just didn't care.

I agree. I'm a terrible bookworm and I tried to read everything at first but got bored soon. But I think that, apart of obvious problems with gangs mechanics, there's also a problem with the way the game presents - or rather not presents - every area. I mean, yes, areas look differently but they aren't unique - and the same goes for the gangs. Like, there could be particular rules in this place of the city - and breaking them would change your reputation among the gangs. Plus, the reputation system could play a bit bigger role than giving you more cosmetics or automobiles: like, when you first enter the area you're a novice, but after finishing even a few quests the gangs' dialogues would change and they'd help you with the police or easily spot you on the streets if you're causing them troubles.

Besides, there's already a person who ties the quests in a particular area together - a fixer. They are your window to the problems in the area - which is why their personality could add details to "their" area: I believe it'd do better if meeting them eye to eye would be the only way to get more jobs. This person would explain to you the main problems of the area and could help to understand who's in charge and why it's important. Bonus points, if you meet a fixer in a unique situation - like, in the middle of some fight or have to help them escape. At least something is fine - not some random calls.

What I'm trying to say is that they have a somehow built world but it's not enough to make you believe it's alive. I think if they'd focused a bit more attention on details, all of the quests would've been connected to each other in a way that your choices actually mean something - and at least change the percentage of the gangs hostility or friendship...

Friendship percentage/value is an interesting point to bring up.

On another thread we are talking about how saving one of the Malestrom guys (Brick) has a few dialogue lines about how he will 'cover you/got your back' if ever met again.

In terms of map dynamic and play-style, I can see where aligning to one Fixer or another would help get through certain points of the story, or even the environment.

The main point I'm trying to bring up with this suggestion is that I can currently fly around all over the map freely without consequence. This is fun for a while but then creates some repetition/boredom.

As an RPG fanatic (since Dungeons and Dragons and Cthulu), It's important for me as a player/audience to have considerations in my choices. By this I mean if I choose to align with a faction or not could have long lasting consequences. I.E.> Having to defeat 'street-level' objectives to progress forward. Not story quests, but more like 'get these guys out of my way' so I can return to the quest bits.

A popular trope in entertainment these days is 'tit-for-tat' or 'quid-pro-quo'. If you help me on this quest, I will help you on YOUR quest. Disney and MCU play this game constantly to exhaustion. But it does build suspense, and provides some action along the way.

Could the enemy, romance and friendship angles be more part of the gameplay? Perhaps....It may require the navigation of almost an infinite amount of story-threads. Are you volunteering?

I appreciate your response! -w
Post automatically merged:

Well, I would like to have seen more gang vs gang some driveby shooting. Only issue is that 3/10 Gangs I consider to be Immoral! Not talking about Maelstorm!

Funny you bring this up. I just opened an older save where I was near a Maelstrom gang 'just chillin' in North Watson.

Literally as I started backing up in my car, a Tyger Claws gang pulled up on the Maelstrom guys and had themselves a dust up. Gang-on-Gang drive by is IN the game.

Naturally I finished it for them....my player build is essentially death incarnate.

It was just random and perhaps required some pre-requisites to be met. I cleared out North Watson prior to this event - like all map objectives cleared. Could it be that the random violence between gangs only happens after I clear a region?

-w

Last edited:
Top Bottom