The lack of 3rd person view

+
If you are just looking to admire your character's looks and the clothing they are wearing then yeah I am not exactly sure why you would need anything else?
Like I said, some just like to see a bit more then only seeing their character posing in some inventory screen cut from the gameplay. Some also don't feel like riding a motorcycle the whole time etc, .....
And no, a limited 3rd person option just for walking around wouldn't hurt anyone. Photomode seems to handle collision pretty well, so I don't see an issue for a bit of roaming around ingame.

...need to go suck a lemon...
Alas I don't like lemons very much, so you may keep those.

...a few people complaining...
I didn't know statistics were kept of this? What I do know is that there is recurring feedback on the internet about lack of 3rd person since release of the game, and it is a lot.

...not every game is going to cater to everyone's tastes...
When one creates a +100 hour game aiming to please millions of gamers, it's always desirable to be flexible, including camera perspective.
I like the game, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

Also about the complaining part, I don't try to represent here what's wrong and right. But that's just the way it is, how it works in this world. There will be complainers for a long time to come. One can deal with it or one can go nuts about it. Or one can also make a statement of course that you don't care at all, while bashing and defending wherever possible, we have plenty of those too.

Last edited:
Like I said, some just like to see a bit more then only seeing their character posing in some inventory screen cut from the gameplay. Some also don't feel like riding a motorcycle the whole time etc, .....
And no, a limited 3rd person option just for walking around wouldn't hurt anyone. Photomode seems to handle collision pretty well, so I don't see an issue for a bit of roaming around ingame.

Again what is it that you want the 3rd person mode for? Is there some sort of gameplay advantage or is it just so you can see and admire the customization choices you have made? If it is just for vanity reasons then isn't that what photo mode is specifically for?

I didn't know statistics were kept of this? What I do know is that there is recurring feedback on the internet about lack of 3rd person since release of the game, and it is a lot.

And there are just as many people telling those people that it is either a non issue or that they specifically prefer first person, but these numbers are dwarfed by the people who are just playing the game and ignoring any such conversation whatsover, the people who even engage with these forums are the vast minority let alone just the subset of people complaining about a lack of 3rd person

This game sold around 13 million copies, how many of those 13 million are even registered on these forums?

When one creates a +100 hour game aiming to please millions of gamers, it's always desirable to be flexible, including camera perspective.

Maybe, but you can't please everyone and generally if you try to please everyone you end up with something that nobody wants. Sometimes in order to achieve your vision you do need to ignore the desires of others, especially if the things they request break would break other aspects of your vision.

Also about the complaining part, I don't try to represent here what's wrong and right. But that's just the way it is, how it works in this world. There will be complainers for a long time to come. One can deal with it or one can go nuts about it. Or one can also make a statement of course that you don't care at all, while bashing and defending wherever possible, we have plenty of those too.

Of course, people have the right to complain but then other people have the right to tell those people that their complaints are stupid or that they prefer things the way they are. Of course I have my own problems with the game and my own suggestions and feedback and you can feel free to tell me that my suggestions are stupid as well and in the end it is really up to the people designing the game to decide if they are willing to listen to me and if they think I have a point or whether such suggestions do not align with their vision.

Again what is it that you want the 3rd person mode for?
I think we are running in circles here. I've made my point clear in several previous posts.

And there are just as many people telling those people that it is either a non issue or that they specifically prefer first person....
That's how it works in this world...

...these numbers are dwarfed by the people who are just playing the game...
Can't know that for sure. Probably ... maybe... Again, no statistics. Unless you keep track of every post on the world wide web.

...and ignoring any such conversation...
Because one is a silent gamer, doesn't mean they have their concerns about a game. In normal circumstances I'm one of those silent gamers. But sometimes when I read some comments time after time (for example other gamers that generalize instead of speaking for themselves) I reach a breaking point and I just have to share my thoughts about a certain subject. After some time I probably think by myself "screw 'em". And then you don't see me for a long time.

This game sold around 13 million copies, how many of those 13 million are even registered on these forums?
I'm not talking about this forum alone and "lamenting" is not equal to "not buying".

Of course, people have the right to complain but then other people have the right to.... --> the whole last phrase
In the end Cyberpunk 2077 will always be that game with the lack of an optional 3rd person view, unless proven otherwise.
That's how it works in this world...

Last edited:
Press "N" on PC, not sure what the button would be for controller. Now you can look at yourself and make as many sexy poses as possible for the camera.

There's your third person. You're welcome

Thing is they have the necessary assets to do 3rd person.

Just ride a motorcycle. My guess is the animations looked wonky so they opted to cut 3rd person out early in development.

I personally want it for the looks of seeing my character dressed pretty snazzy. Plus it'd be nice not to have ~30% of my screen taken up by a non-handgun weapon (even on max, 100, FoV).

ESO has 1st person and 3rd person. In fact, all of the Elder Scrolls single player games have 1st and 3rd; Guess which views I choose.

Also, Witcher 3 is said to use the REDengine (just like Cyberpunk). It has 3rd person, which proves the engine isn't the issue.

They are purposefully forcing it for a technical reason, and not an 'aesthetics' reason. Like, think about it. If they truly wanted the immersion of being in the world. Why not just say it's best played in 1st person, but let you play in 3rd person if you want. They let you drive in 3rd person.

Man, forgot about it.
I added a post just today, showing how bad character rig and animations are:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Actually there are no rig and animations at all. It works awful even from 1st person perspective, 3rd person has no chance to be implemented, not even with mods.
Honestly I can't recall another AAA game with THAT poor technical side. There are no mechanic which was implemented in the decent way. It's a shame.

TPP is a lot of work. And it's clear now, why it was removed. Not for the "immersion" as CDPR stated..
The game is a buggy, unfinished mess, and they were trying to cut everything they could, to make it in time.

The game is buggy and unfinished, true. but saying they cut it out is not true. They already stated in the 2018 48-minutes gameplay that the game will be first person for better immersion. This has nothing to do with cutting content to make it in time

Personally im fine with first person, i would prefer a simple toggle option though like say how it works in rdr2 where you just go through different views.
To me rdr2 is arguably the most immersive game i have ever played with amazing characters and being in 3rd person didnt make it any less immersive.
Player choice id preferred to but its way it is now just enjoy it as such

The "third person was cut for immersion" argument kind of falls flat for me after playing the game.

I saw no reason outside of main/side quests to be permanently stuck in first-person camera...Nor can you see V on reflective surfaces like glass windows and mirrors need to be "turned on" to work. ...which kinda breaks immersion.

After observing V's shadow and realizing only his/her arms move properly...The natural conclusion is they simply didn't want to make/fix third-person animations/combat or make third-person cutscenes.

Man, forgot about it.
I added a post just today, showing how bad character rig and animations are:

View attachment 11123477

View attachment 11123480
Actually there are no rig and animations at all. It works awful even from 1st person perspective, 3rd person has no chance to be implemented, not even with mods.
Honestly I can't recall another AAA game with THAT poor technical side. There are no mechanic which was implemented in the decent way. It's a shame.

This is normal in games that do first person where the view port is mounted on the character model's neck i.e. Mirror's Edge. This game has a third person hack where you can see something similar - a headless Faith with an elongated slinky spring torso and spider arms/legs. Its the stuff of nightmares, but then the game was never intended to be seen from this perspective.

The reason why Mirror's Edge does first person like this is for kinesthetics. It is important that you can look down and see your own body moving. The view port is attached to your neck which moves as your shoulders, spine, legs and arms do, so you feel the sensation of running and jumping rather than floating around. Cyberpunk looks and feels a lot like Mirror's Edge when running and jumping:

Skyrim and Doom do not do first person like this. In the case of Skyrim, all the meshes are rigged and animated for third person and when you switch to first person, its just a floating view port with disembodied hands at the bottom of the camera. Nothing else is rendered because you never see it and you are not meant to.

Why does this distorted rigging/animation happen in Mirror's Edge/Cyberpunk? Its a problem of perspective and representing 3D geometry on a flat screen where you can only fake depth perception. Our eyes have roughly 200 degrees of forward facing vision, of which about 120 degrees is in focus and the rest is peripheral. We can for example see the movement of our hand if it is slightly behind our ear. We also have binocular vision so our brain resolves the difference between the left and right eye as depth. This is not possible on a monocular view port displayed on a flat screen monitor. If you try to widen FOV to anything close to human vision, you will get extreme fish eye lens distortion. So rather than distorting your vision, they distort the player character mesh so it bends around the view port.

There is a mod for Skyrim where someone attempted to do Mirror's Edge/Cyberpunk first person - where you can look down and see your own body. The mod author detailed a lot of the technical limitations of doing this in Skyrim because the in game models are simply not rigged or animated to look good from this perspective.

I don't have any preference with regards to first and third person and will happily play any RPG from any perspective if the designers use it well. I'm used to first person RPGs like Ultima Underworld.

However the good news for third person afficiendos is that multiplayer is a massive cash cow and if you do any kind of multiplayer, you have to rig and animate meshes for third person. For obvious reasons, you have to be able to see other players moving around in the game world and they have to be able to see you. So if CDPR ever decide multiplayer is a thing they want to do, third person is kind of inevitable really. At the very least it will replace player shadows and enable player character reflections. However, I think the first person perspective really suits the story and how it is told. When you briefly detach from your character and see V moving in disembodied third person perspective (which only really happens in the endings), its a big narrative moment.

Last edited:
It's not the lack of a 3rd Person mode that bugs me....it's the total lack of 3rd person cutscenes, despite their constant use in CDPR advertisements and the emphasis on player customization.

Yeeaaah, that cold shower half 2018 also demanded some "getting used to" from me. But indeed the removal of all 3rd person cutscenes (sorry all but one, before I get a bash for that) was also a huge slap in the face. Then seeing that they took the time to add useless features, like the option how your genitals look like, was insult to injury. And again no, photomode doesn't interest me one bit.

Not like the world isn't full of 3rd person RPGs already. I have nothing against them, in fact most of my favorite SP games of all time are such, but not everything needs to be in third person for crying out loud.

This is normal in games that do first person where the view port is mounted on the character model's neck

This is not normal, perspective and body proportions in Cyberpunk are broken, it is noticeable even from 1st person view. Character's body with a gun equipped just feel unnatural, try to imagine that you have gun in your hand and point it down to the ground - no way your palm be on the level of your ribs, unless you are T-Rex :D
Also, in Cyberpunk, try to equip bare fists, look down and punch the ground - V actually can do this! Without bending over, without bending his knees, he can hit the ground with his fist! He must be mr. Fantastic with a elastic hands.
The same for crouching, jumping, any other action.

Skyrim and Deus Ex are old games which uses 2 different body meshes and animations for 3rd/1st person. The chararcter in these games don't even have a visible body while in 1st person.

Once again, proper skeleton rig is absolutely necessary no matter if it is 1st or 3rd person.

Look how Kingdoms Come, Mirrors Edge, Doom look from 3rd person perspective. It might be a bit clunky but still, all animations work as they should, proportions of body are correct, skeleton is rigged properly:

And now, look at Cyberpunk. This is just a joke.

It's intentional to increase immersion but I'd prefer it. I think the game would have more comparisons to GTA which is what they're trying to avoid but I guess it's bound to happen so why not. Look at Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row and the Yakuza series.
I also feel no real increase in immersion with 1st P over 3rd P. so that argument of theirs is a bit lost on me.
And seeing from the game they basically have it already, the model and everything is there. So it doesn't seem like it would require too much 'work'Btw, my request for a 3rd Person would also be pretty much just with regular gameplay and story cutscenes.

Is a personal opinion, but one of my favorite things is the first person view in everything, I liked it a lot, I am very biased because you can see your own body in-game, the only other game that allow you to look down at yourself is Destiny, and is a thing that I absolutely love.

If it was the usual floating head and hands then I'd say yes to 3d person, but the fact your body is a physical object in the game world, and you can see it, make me love the first-person view in everything my character do, allowing for a better immersion.

you can use the photo mode for vanity.

Of course, is really a personal preference. The more the merrier they say, and they are usually right, but as it is now, I don't miss a third-person view.

Top Bottom