YT post about game development

+
I dont know but sounds to me like you are trying to say that everyone here that complains, complains just because of the story? ive made a small list already whats wrong, you can see it further up.
It also sounds like you are trying to say that everyone that complains didnt play the game. As if we dont pay attention and just rush through everything. I wouldnt be here if that was the case and im sure the others wouldnt be here either.

Did you read my last posts? You brought story up not me, you said ppl not "hyped" had problems with the story, all i ever see is ppl that had put CDPR waaaaaay up on some mythical cant do no wrong platform hyped for a game bitching because said game never lived upto there expectations.

If you had read my other posts i blamed both CDPR and hype, CDPR for showing unfinished features not 100% in game and ppl for getting themselves "hyped", theres only one place hype leads and its down

Dont know if the story is true, but one thing is for sure;

-> Jackie? right.. we had our 3 Missions with him.. i guess thats enough to get attached huh..? *sigh..* Gone, wasted.

As much as i love this game or better said, try to love this game.. i cant ignore these things. These are not small things you can just ignore and forget.

Please remember: what i wrote here are my feelings, my thoughts and my opinion. I know that everyone feels different and i respect that.
I think they can make some additional stories with Jackie. Right in the beginning we just time lapse where the Reist begins...they have to expand this period in a free DLC or something like that. Evelyn is harder.
Today i spoke to a friend "they must have an 'OPERATION NO MAN's SKY' where companies try to restore something that is really bad" lol

A shame about all the changes, not sure why they changed scripts and restarted, but does suck if true. Certainly still enjoy the game as it is today but sure would have been better with the original concept. I can't say I blame Keanu for wanting a bigger role, if the original concept was just as a narrator. Probably really liked the character background and wanted to see it, but he doesn't strike me as the type to demand he get the game about himself; guessing that was someone(s) at the company fanning a little too hard and changing the script a bunch.

Still love the game and its story as it is today, hopefully future content for the game will expand it to be closer to its original vision though.

The issue isn't the hype train. The Issue was CDPR stating their promises and not fulfilling them promised officially since 2018 or earlier that this was going to be an advanced RPG with a ground breaking ai that will make the world seem alive and would be completely interactable. The example being that V woke up with a one night stand random npc before meeting jackie after raiding the scavs.
I have no real problem with them making promises and failing to deliver, shit happens.
I have a big problem with them not openly and loudly walking back those promises when it became clear to them that what they were producing did not resemble the 7 year ad campaign. you know, before accepting preorders.

For EIGHT YEARS all I heard from CDPR was how this game was about "MY STORY". And that "MY STORY" was to take place in a "next gen RPG" set in the cyberpunk universe. Four MONTHS ago, they were STILL selling me "MY STORY".

And then they ACTUALLY sold me an interactive script for "The Saga of Johnny Silverhand" movie.

That's what's "off" about the story. Doesn't get anymore complex than that.

I have no real problem with them making promises and failing to deliver, shit happens.
I have a big problem with them not openly and loudly walking back those promises when it became clear to them that what they were producing did not resemble the 7 year ad campaign. you know, before accepting preorders.
This right here each thing they said they cut and told us they cut. sure no problem but there were many features that they would be there and just aren't.

For EIGHT YEARS all I heard from CDPR was how this game was about "MY STORY". And that "MY STORY" was to take place in a "next gen RPG" set in the cyberpunk universe. Four MONTHS ago, they were STILL selling me "MY STORY".

And then they ACTUALLY sold me an interactive script for "The Saga of Johnny Silverhand" movie.

That's what's "off" about the story. Doesn't get anymore complex than that.

And this too. This game was supposed to be an RPG game of my story. V's story. Not The story of Johnny Silverhand with the prologue featuring V. This is what makes me feel like with the story + gameplay this game feels like a borderlands crack baby adaptation.

Maybe nonsense was too strong a word, I'm just skeptical, it sounds like something someone would make up on the internet, combining the different rumours of Lady Gaga being in the game and other things like the lifepaths and different character creation options being cut down to make up a story of a perfect sounding game.

I'm sure something along these lines did happen, as in they restarted development of the game and drastically changed ideas, mostly due to wanting Keanu to have a bigger role (or maybe it's the opposite and that was an effect of streamlining the game?). We know for sure RPG elements were cut down just by going off the 2018 footage. This just sounds a little too crazy to be true, especially for a random yt comment. Who knows. DLC will be interesting.
I thought the Cyberpunk game they hyped was too crazy to be true. Til the company that delivered Witcher 3 said they'd do it. I didn't think an open world Cyberpunk game could heavily feature Keanu Reeves. Till he walked on stage.

To be fair I kinda feel for the devs in the sense, can you imagine how we'd have howled if we'd found out Keanu Reeves wanted to be MORE in the game and CDPR wouldn't let him? :ROFLMAO:

I thought the Cyberpunk game they hyped was too crazy to be true. Til the company that delivered Witcher 3 said they'd do it. I didn't think an open world Cyberpunk game could heavily feature Keanu Reeves. Till he walked on stage.

To be fair I kinda feel for the devs in the sense, can you imagine how we'd have howled if we'd found out Keanu Reeves wanted to be MORE in the game and CDPR wouldn't let him? :ROFLMAO:

It's almost as if they tried to give ppl what they thought they wanted.

You win some you lose some

As someone who has had the unfortunate experience, more than once, of working as a developer on large multi-year software projects that flopped or were canned, failure to deliver on these projects isn't ever a single person's fault.

People naturally want to point the finger at someone, or some department. The truth is, in my experience its a failure of teams to communicate and work with each other, particularly around problems of direction, unrealistic goals/timelines and a broken down relationship with management. Once these problems start to set in, if they aren't addressed quickly and people keep churning away in their bubble, the problems continue to get worse until you have a rudderless nightmare project.

When the deadline starts to get closer, people eventually realize far too late they are getting nowhere fast. They make corrections to get people working together and have direction, but it's now so far into the project they have to start cutting features all over the place and even then have to do some extreme crunch to get the project over the finish line.

As someone who has had the unfortunate experience, more than once, of working as a developer on large multi-year software projects that flopped or were canned, failure to deliver on these projects isn't ever a single person's fault.

People naturally want to point the finger at someone, or some department. The truth is, in my experience its a failure of teams to communicate and work with each other, particularly around problems of direction, unrealistic goals/timelines and a broken down relationship with management. Once these problems start to set in, if they aren't addressed quickly and people keep churning away in their bubble, the problems continue to get worse until you have a rudderless nightmare project.

When the deadline starts to get closer, people eventually realize far too late they are getting nowhere fast. They make corrections to get people working together and have direction, but it's now so far into the project they have to start cutting features all over the place and even then have to do some extreme crunch to get the project over the finish line.

I haven't had the experience yet as I am planning to be a game design major. But I can imagine this is nothing but true. A good studio seems to need to work like a well oiled machine. (This is just my observation since I have been paying attention to the gaming industry since I was 8 or 9. Had an uncle who worked for Interstellar and developed Fallout 1&2 and heard lots of stories.) If one cog is messed up it will effect the rest of mechanism. And the product the machine produces comes out worse than promised or imagined.

Is there any evidence at all that any of this is true? Just copy/pasting a youtube comment isn't enough in my book.
There are a thousand of employees in CDPR, and many are not happy. I'm pretty sure they start to spill the details about the development and won't keep it secret. A failed long project really hurts, just imagine if you wasted a significant portion of your life without anything to show up in your resume and have a project under your belt that everybody and their grandmothers are bashing and laughing at.

When the deadline starts to get closer, people eventually realize far too late they are getting nowhere fast.

I get that. Really.

A few years back I was the lead plumbing foreman on a major hotel project in Florida. 30 Journeyman plumbers under my supervision, each with two dedicated helpers. 40 floors, 25 suites per floor. In the final months of the project, we get slammed with a new deadline "agreed" upon between the finance company funding the project and the builder from Wisconsin. And now rather than the 90ish days we had left to finish installing fixtures and hardware on the last 8 floors, we had 21. 3 weeks to trim out 200 bathrooms and kitchenettes. My employer was livid. But hey, it's the finance company and the builder. And if our company wanted to get paid, we had to meet the new deadline.

The following Monday, I went from 30 plumbers and 60 helpers to 50 plumbers and 100 helpers. All subbed in from another company that had lost the bid for the job a year and a half earlier.

The moral is this:

if you're falling behind the deadline eight ball, it's up to the upper management to get you the help you need to finish the job, and finish it right. My employer lost some profit, sure. But the company STILL has it's stellar reputation for meeting it's deadlines. And in the end, that's most important.

And in that context, I blame CDPR "the company". Not the individual developers who actually do the work to the best of their ability, with zero control over upper-management decisions.

hope it was worth to rekt their reputation. I hope they are proud of their game.
Post automatically merged:

I can believe Keanu liked the story and asked for a larger role - that's par for the course in the business he's in.

I don't believe Keanu asked CDPR to gut the rest of the game to make it happen...

also could be that some executive was drooling and starstruck by keanu reeves so he geeked out so much decide to impress Keanu instead of community. And made game for him.

I thought the Cyberpunk game they hyped was too crazy to be true.

The worst part of this whole debacle is, they ALMOST pulled it off!

If they had just used the last two years to keep developing the game they showed us in 2018, I have little doubt they would have. That's it. The whole Johnny Silverhand thing could have been adapted to that as a major secondary quest to give him the role they wanted him to have, WITHOUT sacrificing the player's story to do it.

But nope. In he strolls and CDPR execs were like: "Welp, that's it folks! Scrap everything, we're starting over! Keanu's here!"

And I don't fault him for that. I fault CDPR for making that choice. They had a multitude of other options. They picked the wrong one.

In my opinion... Unless the cut content is further along in development than expected, I simply don't see CDPR "fixing" Cyberpunk 2077 with 6-12 months worth of patches and DLC. No. I feel it would take another 3-4 years to get the game to the state in which it was heavily implied to be in the advertisements and promotional material.

I simply don't see CDPR committing to this.

What I feel is more likely is that they'll just patch the game into a playable state and give us the standard DLC/expansions already planned and repurpose all the cut content into a cyberpunk sequel.

I guess it really depends on how many years they plan on releasing DLC/expansions and how well they sell.

Top Bottom