Need Advice On Modifying Weapon Rune Slots

+
Need Advice On Modifying Weapon Rune Slots

Greetings All:

I've been having problems getting the Redkit to install properly with the GOG version of the Witcher 2. Accordingly, I've been experimenting with making minor changes to the various def_item.xml files using a text editor. One thing I'm trying to do is modify one of the swords in Chapter 3 to accept 4 runes. I made the indicated changes to the sword in question in the def_item_swordsteel.xml file. The sword accepts 4 runes, and the "worldmodel" ( if that's the correct term ) displays 4 runes, as evidenced by the following screenshot :

The only issue is when viewing the sword in Geralt's inventory screen I see only 3 "dots" ( indicating 3 rune slots ), even though the sword actually has 4 functioning runes. Is this something that can be corrected by editing a different .xml file, or will this require photoshop or a similar utility? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of the inventory GUI. Three enhancement slots are the most that exist in the default story, so three is probably all the GUI is coded to display, even if you specify more than that. You'd probably need to edit some of the inventory interface parameters and most likely some .swf or .dds files to get a fourth slot (or more) to appear on a given item.

This is my best guess based on what I know. I could be wrong. I haven't messed around too much with the user interface.

Exilium said:
I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of the inventory GUI. Three enhancement slots are the most that exist in the default story, so three is probably all the GUI is coded to display, even if you specify more than that. You'd probably need to edit some of the inventory interface parameters and most likely some .swf or .dds files to get a fourth slot (or more) to appear on a given item.

This is my best guess based on what I know. I could be wrong. I haven't messed around too much with the user interface.

Thanks for responding Exilium. Based on your suggestions I did some digging around in the globals/gui folder and found the following file:

ui_inventory.swf

Don't know if this is the file I need, nor am I certain which utility(s) I should use to view/edit the .swf file. I tried using an online application called "Flash Probe" ( http://www.flashprobe.com/ ) but all it revealed was the following:

Code:
XXX
XXX
XXX
INVENTORY
<b>item</b>
ui_panelbg.swf
Couldn't find anything that resembled "number of enhancement" slots in the aforementioned mess. I realize that you haven't messed around with the user interface much, but any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks again!

Well, .swf files are Adobe Shockwave Flash files, as far as I know. Ideally, you'd use something like Adobe Flash Builder or Adobe Flash to view and modify it, though those are pretty pricy utilities. The program you've got might do the trick, though -- well, if the info is stored in one of those files.

If I were to guess (shot in the dark here), I'd examine ccraftingslot.swf or cslot.swf. Just based on the names, I'd think they might have something to do with item enhancement slots.

Wish I could help more, but I don't have any programs installed right now for editing .swf files :(

*edit*
It might be determined by a script instead. Just more guesswork, really, but it could be worth looking into.

I'm actually working on something related but not really similar. I'm trying to figure out how to create new inventory items with unique icons and descriptions. It should be the simplest thing in the world, really, but I haven't found out where that info is stored.

If I happen to run across anything in my search that helps with what you're trying to modify, I'll certainly let you know.

Tried the cslot.swf file, ( which ended up looking like the ui_inventory.swf ) as well as the ccraftingslot.swf which looks as follows:

Code:
ui_panelbg.swf
ui_panelbg.swf

Oh well, no luck so far. Like you, I also considered that the number of rune slots might be script-determined. If that's the case I'm probably out of luck, since I haven't been able to get the Redkit to install properly with the GOG version of the Witcher 2, plus my scripting skills are essentially non-existent. Nonetheless, I appreciate you offering to keep me posted if you find out anything else. Many thanks again.

Well, the .swf files contain more than what you're able to access with Flash Probe. Most of the data stored in those files are most likely GUI animations and transitions for the various menus and HUD elements, as well as rules for where different elements and images are displayed.

I've done a little more digging and it looks like pretty much everything that shows up on the inventory screen is called and determined by various scripts (including the item templates I was looking for...). I should have figured as much, but I hoped all that info was stored in a file called "heres_everything_you_need.xml" or something, lol.

I'm not much of a programmer either. I've done a bit in the past, though I prefer mesh and texture work. I'm going to try to figure it out and again, I'll let you know if I find anything that helps you. Just thought I'd update you.

Oh, and what problems are you running into when installing REDkit?

Thanks for the update. With regards to the REDkit, I keep getting the following error message when I attempt to install it:

Code:
C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 2 Enhanced 
Edition\data\cutscenes\outro\lores terrain.w2l

An error occurred while trying to copy a file:
The source file is corrupted.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file 
(not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation

I contacted GOG support, and they indicated it's possible that one ( or more ) of the game's files were corrupted during the download process, hence the aforementioned error message. They suggested ( obviously ) that I should try re-downloading/reinstalling the game. Trouble is, downloading the game is a 3-hour process. I had to make several download attempts ( over several days ) before I got enough uncorrupted game files just to install the game in the first place. Man, it's times like this that I really miss retail installation discs....

I just finished playing the game and experienced no technical issues whatsoever, so if there are any corrupted files in my current installation, they didn't cause any issues with gameplay. I'll probably get around to re-downloading the game from GOG and trying again some time later this week.

Ha, yeah, I miss the days when PC games came in 8"x12" boxes and contained 7 CDs (or floppies, if you want to go waaay back) too :)/> With all that bulk in your hands, it really felt like you were getting your money's worth. Seriously though, there is something to be said for having a hard copy in hand, although with the size of patches these days, I'm sure there'd still be a lengthy download involved.

To your problem: I'd say it's more than likely a corrupted file in your REDkit download itself, since you're having no issues in-game and that particular file (I believe) is extracted during the REDkit installation.

The REDkit downloads end up being about the same size in the end, but hey, at least they're separated into several smaller files.

Top Bottom