[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Sorry, but this is a means of storytelling for the viewers to speculate about. If it's integrated in the game like that even jacky hinted at it at the end "Misty knew all along" (which might imply several things in that moment, of course)

I "believe" Panam, because she is probably the only one without any hidden agenda or motif behind your back.
Post automatically merged:

regarding DLC they said those will be free of charge. *shrug*
But there is nothing to speculate if the plot was about survival; that failed and then game says that there is no cure in NC that is like a heart of this lore.

Game goes lengths in fixing any plothole like why this body survive because biochip something nanites something brain. Why can’t I have new body - because Buochip something DNA something incompatible with everything.

What is now is hanging on the last overlooks on writers quest to fix those holes.
So you have
- tarot cards
- Panam and nomads. Who would prior the the ending even thought that bunch of rednacks can put their hands on probably most Hightech in this world.
- nomads and something something Biotechnica (forget it was never even mentioned that BT can have this kind of tech).

No, I haven't because the game sends me back to my last save to complete it again, which is something that never happened to me before in an open world game

I don't want to know about what I could do, I wanna DO IT, if they can't let me do it, then I don't want to see it

I haven't played that game, but I'm assuming that it's not an open-world game with a story based on player choice
exactly.

So you are arguing that it's guaranteed to be a cliff hanger?
Okay, so what If I say that cliffhangers are extremely dissatisfying and that I paid for a video game, not an uninspired tv series that ran out of ideas? :shrug:
I don't say it's guaranteed, but you haven't given me proof that V dies 100%. It's just your argument turned upside down.
If you say that is dissatisfying, what should I say. go ahead then. if you get your refund, you have your money back and won't have paid for anything at all. It's still your opinion.

I don't believe in fortune telling in our world but if I lived in the Continent then telling Triss magic doesn't exist makes me an idiot.
So you don't believe in fortune telling in our world, but you're ready to believe in it when fitted in the technological dystopia a cyberpunk world is. How interesting...

Misty can see the future because she predicts the game endings and the Tarot graffiti has a supernatural affect on your mind. Like the fact that the Necronomicon is real in Fallout 3, it's WEIRD but it's true.
She predicts nothing.
She makes nebulous statements that you choose to interpret as predictions.
There is also a wreck of a Star Trek shuttle or the Bridge Keeper from Monty Python's Holy Grail in Fallout 2. So what is the point ?

But they are not talking to you when Alt speaks ? Or any NPC ?
Fleshing out a character is something CDPR used for Misty, that strange esoteric girl your best friend is in love with. That does not necessarily means that she speaks the ultimate truth. Again, you choose to believe her rather than anyone else cause that suits you.
It's very convenient to ignore those things. Right? :shrug:

Did you not like Deus Ex?

I don't believe in fortune telling in our world but if I lived in the Continent then telling Triss magic doesn't exist makes me an idiot.

Misty can see the future because she predicts the game endings and the Tarot graffiti has a supernatural affect on your mind. Like the fact that the Necronomicon is real in Fallout 3, it's WEIRD but it's true.
So how does this magically make anyone who doesn't like the endings magically fall in love with the endings that they don't like? :shrug:

The funny thing is I don't think the game endings are very good.

I just don't think they're the same or all end in V dying.

I think "the hero dies" is the dumbest angle any video game can pursue.
If I have heard correctly
V commits suicide
V gets trapped by arasaka
V gets trapped in cyberhell
V goes into the desert and maybe dies in 6 months
They're the same to me, because to the best of my knowledge V doesn't appear to "win"

I'm noticing people are getting fixated on the main story endings the game currently offers.

What about all the stories never explored during the game, like all the fixers, gangs, delamain, peralez's, etc? I mean, I get that the urgency of finding a cure overshadows all that, but isn't that really the problem here? If it wasn't for that, so much more story about the actual city could've created SOOOOOOO much more content. Instead, we're bickering about will V die in 6 months or is he already dead?

After being able to vent here a bit (And a big thanks to you guys!) I've come to my personal conclusion on the topic of CP77.
I'll be going the same way my V did. I'll get the hell out while there is still time.

Up until the conclusion of the game I really liked the game. But... I am one of those people where an ending can ruin everything that preceded it, no matter how much I loved it. And stories that kill off the player character are just downright disrespectful to the player. Not to mention I just can't come back to a suffering V over and over again. May sound silly to some, it's just how I am wired.

My prediction for the next 3 months. I predict that the following things will happen till the end of march.
  • CDPR will issue a couple of statements regarding the status of CP77. Something along the lines of "In order to give you guys the best possible product, we have postponed any DLC plans indefinitely in favor of making sure you will have the best experience(i.e. fixing the bugs)"
  • Once that is done there will be a bit of silence regarding any DLC plans.
  • Eventually CDPR will issue another statement consisting of "After much deliberation we've decided to focus on giving you one of our biggest DLCs yet instead of spreading it out for multiple story driven DLCs right after we released the MP Mode DLC" (Essentially saying we ran out of time to do multiple ones and we want to put this behind us)
  • The MP DLC will be something along the lines of GTA online. CDPR has already stated that they want to develop like Rockstar.
After march though, the following will happen:
  • Details about the story DLC will drop. And this now "condensed" DLC will be one of these scenarios (in order of likeliness)
  1. A Jacke DLC that covers the time between the life paths and the first mission after them. Despite it being cut content, they'll still do that.
  2. a "spin-off" DLC much like the Trauma Team Books. Something that happens simultaneously to Vs story. Not start able via a mission in game, but a simple Menu Entry "start DLC called something generic".
  3. A Story DLC that follows characters we meet in CP77 but is set before it. Also start able via the menu.
  4. A Regular mid-game set of Missions set in a new area of the badlands.
  • CDPR will try to sell that idea as something the people wanted.
  • After all that is done and finished (I am guessing around April 2022) there will be some news dropping that the next game by CDPR is in development and "It's not what we think" but every other DLC plans will be cancelled because they want to spend all their focus on the new game to delivers us the best experience.... blah blah blah, marketing speak.
  • It will be either a new Witcher Game with "Terry the replacement witcher" (Thank you for that joke, whoever made it first) or a new CP game set before CP77 to explore the iconic stories or iconic characters we've met. Or it will be set after, but set in a new City. In all scenarios it will be with an entirely new set of characters.
  • In any case, it will be roughly 5 to 10 years till there will be another CP game since Rockst... I mean CDPR don't want to work on 2 games simultaneously.
How did I come to this set of predictions?
  • CP77 is pretty much structured like Far Cry 3 and GTA5.
  • Those that think Night City was crafted so carefully they won't ditch it: so was Los Santos or any other GTA City.
  • But even if it wasn't, Night City is a constant in the universe. Nothing more.
  • The way the story is told, the goal is to keep the world alive not the characters.
  • Games that have their DLCs set after the original games end have somewhat open endings. (i.e. Control)
  • In all the expanded universe stuff V or the other characters feature only in promotional material. To me that shows no interest in keeping them around.
  • After having done a trilogy with the Witcher, CDPR will need something to experiment with. That is why I think Cyberpunk will become their GTA, Final Fantasy, Far Cry, Assassins Creed. One off stories.
  • CDPR can't afford to put much more effort into the game other than get it to a stable version. Because no matter what they'd do after getting it there it would cause the same backlash within a short time frame. Doing nothing is better than doing everything in this case.
  • The Missing 6th Techtree would be perfect to fill during either the MP DLC or Story DLC and since it's already showing in the HUD you'll probably get access to it from the start of the game.
  • No side Mission influences how the endings play out. Only which are available. Which is my biggest indicator for the above listed DLC options. They wouldn't have to worry about it.
  • Even more so though is the fact we'll get set back to the point of no return. If they'd do a post main story DLC they'd have to rework that. Which there is no chance they'd be willing to do.
  • CDPR lost their "good guys" status a while ago and doesn't seem to care to get it back.
  • Keanu Reeves would have to record additional voice lines and that just isn't going to happen.
There are probably more things rattling around my head, but nothing that I can write down right now.

In any case I just can't see anything happening in regards to our specific problem.
  • Have the arbitrary 6 months not be part of the final choice but make it a condition based on missions or decisions to be able to avoid it.
  • Expand on the ridiculous sad endings and actually offer a happy end in an DLC.

All those years spent in gaming has shown me that a problem like ours is never addressed or resolved. And for me at least that means I have no reason to care anymore or want to return. The same happened to me with Bioware. They did us dirty with the ME3 ending and that's the last time I cared about Bioware games. Andromeda failed and so did Anthem. For whatever reason. Now with the new game on the horizon, which may include the return of Shephard, I still can't bring myself to care.

Anyway, I see a 0% chance that we'll get something that will fix our problem in any way shape or form. Because that's not how the gaming industry, or companies in general, work/s. So at least I am stuck with a game that has hurt me emotionally. And I am tired of feeling this way. Time to rip this band aid of. I've cancelled all my orders for any kind of CP merch (Thankfully they where all Out of Stock ^^) and uninstalled the game. It will take some time to get over it, but like with ME I'll get there eventually. And one less customer isn't going to even show up in any statistic they have. They don't owe me anything and I don't owe them. It's a hard lesson learned that yet another Franchise I thought I could get behind is down the drain. But oh well. Can't have everything I suppose.

But I thank all of you guys for being here. Please keep this thread alive. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and a miracle actually happens for once :)
This is an extremely cool post, and I don't know why but it actually scares me, because I almost believe it. :oops:

FIrst off, there's a different between a happy ending and a happily ever after.
a happy ending infers that at that one point in time, shit wasn't fucked. that's it, that's the whole deal.
a happily ever after infers that from that moment onward after overcoming their trials they lived a blessed existence.

secondly, I think that people who believe that only sad endings can have any intrinsic value have a very stunted perception of narrative.
:smart: I like how you think!

i do still think story would have been better if Jackie kept the relic in his head or if we could go to Evelyn instead of Dex.

They're there to give you information about the upcoming endings.

However, what they make clear is that some interpretations of the game are flat out wrong.

They explain authorial intent even if, yes, Tarot is nonsense.

That's just my take.

I just told you the game said so and the in-game fortuneteller explained the endings. WHAT DO YOU WANT?
Someone doing a fortune telling in a video game isn't proof that someone lives in a video game, and it doesn't make the endings good. It's a cliffhanger at best, and that essentially turns cyberpunk2077 into an uninspired tv series that ran out of ideas. This makes me very upset and disappoints me. :shrug:

What do I want? I want to know why you are telling me sweet little lies?

Vice-Versa it's also not guaranteed that you die 100%. So what is your reasoning?
At the moment it's more about speculation, opinions and what we believe.
Or what the game might tell us to look behind the curtains with its story telling elements?!

Personally my reason is logic. Arasaka created the whole engram thing. There is no reason why someone else should be able to stop the process if they don't even understand the whole process. So you havbe a megacorp that created the technology, thew creator himself as well as the defacto God AI and creator of the Soulkiller herself all tell you you will die in 6 months. So to find a cure is pure power fantasy and ridiculous in the way the entire game is presented and structured.

Hey, all the people involved in creating the technology with access to the best medical personal in the world can't save you, but the back alley doc in bumfuck Arizona is suddenly the saviour? That is even more ridiculous in my opinion.

But the main problem outside the specific endings is that the whole plot beat in general does not make sense. Johnny's engram can rewrite your entire body while your engram can't do the same to a body that is already partially your own anyhow and Johnny is gone? And your engram has 50 more years of development behind it. In what world is the prototype vastly superior to the full version?

Why does V even wake up after her first death? Shouldn't Johnnys personality just be written in and V disappear? Why can you even come back after being shot by Dex? Is that ever explained?

As I wrote much earlier in the thread the main story feels massively rushed and mashed together. You could have written a story with Johnny as a predefined character like Geralt. That is kinda the biggest part of the main story you got.

Then you got V's story. You set up Dex, you give him that mysterious 2 year hole and a betrayal and the trouble of Saburos death. Easy set up for a revenge story (or just saving yourself from Arasaka) with branching paths (corp, gangs, 2 year hole, fixers, nomads, NUSA etc.) as potential helpers. This is what the game looks like for the game up to the heist and personally I think it would be a better an easier written story with true RPG potential.

The biochip story is messy because it's pretty much a Deus Ex machina and the technology is never explained (and as usual with advanced science needs massive explanations to tell a coherent story without plotholes the size of mountains) properly which makes the current endings come out of nowhere. It's also Johnnys story with characters V has nothing to do (i.e. you don't get interactions with Smasher to have a personal stake (how about having him kill Jackie)) and the story kinda only works if you like Johnny which can be much to ask as he is a supreme douchebag.

I think if you like the way the game is than more power to you and no amount of argueing should deter you, but it's easy to see why people have massive problems with the game and story beats and especially the endings.

Unlike movies and books, this game promises player choice that impact the outcome and it also goes beyond the "story" with side missions and gigs. If I finish the story I should be able to continue playing IF I WANT TO not be forced to go back and pretend like what I just did never happened

Might as well: "used to indicate that a situation is the same as if the hypothetical thing stated were true."
YES. EXACTLY! :cool:

The game narrative tells you to find a cure, the meta narrative tells you to save yourself.
The game lies to V, CDPR lies to the player.
whoa... that's deep arcsirc :smart:

No, I haven't because the game sends me back to my last save to complete it again, which is something that never happened to me before in an open world game

I don't want to know about what I could do, I wanna DO IT, if they can't let me do it, then I don't want to see it

I haven't played that game, but I'm assuming that it's not an open-world game with a story based on player choice
So much truth in this post...

If they would at least give us some crafting blueprints for our next playthrough.
OK. That would mean that the game has some sort of replayability...

So you don't believe in fortune telling in our world, but you're ready to believe in it when fitted in the technological dystopia a cyberpunk world is. How interesting...

So you're ignoring authorial intent because....why?

She predicts nothing.
She makes nebulous statements that you choose to interpret as predictions.
There is also a wreck of a Star Trek shuttle or the Bridge Keeper from Monty Python's Holy Grail in Fallout 2. So what is the point ?

That the game says its real.

Sorry, but this is a means of storytelling for the viewers to speculate about. If it's integrated in the game like that even jacky hinted at it at the end "Misty knew all along" (which might imply several things in that moment, of course)

I "believe" Panam, because she is probably the only one without any hidden agenda or motif behind your back.

regarding DLC they said those will be free of charge. *shrug*
but don't worry. if your refund goes through, you won't have to be afraid of the DLC, since you won't get them either way :)
Nobody here has any doubt that penam believes that she will find a cure and we all are absolutely certain that she will do almost anything to help you get it.

That however, does not mean she will be successful. She is not a neurosurgeon or biologist. She is not a a person who deals in neuroinformation... Nobody doubts her dedication but unless she can pull a full biotechnica neuroscience team out of her pocket, the chances for V's survival (especially in time) are not only next to zero.

A character has to be able to do when they say they want to do it in order to be believable.

Intention vs. Possibility

Personally my reason is logic. Arasaka created the whole engram thing. There is no reason why someone else should be able to stop the process if they don't even understand the whole process. So you havbe a megacorp that created the technology, thew creator himself as well as the defacto God AI and creator of the Soulkiller herself all tell you you will die in 6 months. So to find a cure is pure power fantasy and ridiculous in the way the entire game is presented and structured.

Hey, all the people involved in creating the technology with access to the best medical personal in the world can't save you, but the back alley doc in bumfuck Arizona is suddenly the saviour? That is even more ridiculous in my opinion.

But the main problem outside the specific endings is that the whole plot beat in general does not make sense. Johnny's engram can rewrite your entire body while your engram can't do the same to a body that is already partially your own anyhow and Johnny is gone? And your engram has 50 more years of development behind it. In what world is the prototype vastly superior to the full version?

Why does V even wake up after her first death? Shouldn't Johnnys personality just be written in and V disappear? Why can you even come back after being shot by Dex? Is that ever explained?

As I wrote much earlier in the thread the main story feels massively rushed and mashed together. You could have written a story with Johnny as a predefined character like Geralt. That is kinda the biggest part of the main story you got.

Then you got V's story. You set up Dex, you give him that mysterious 2 year hole and a betrayal and the trouble of Saburos death. Easy set up for a revenge story (or just saving yourself from Arasaka) with branching paths (corp, gangs, 2 year hole, fixers, nomads, NUSA etc.) as potential helpers. This is what the game looks like for the game up to the heist and personally I think it would be a better an easier written story with true RPG potential.

The biochip story is messy because it's pretty much a Deus Ex machina and the technology is never explained (and as usual with advanced science needs massive explanations to tell a coherent story without plotholes the size of mountains) properly which makes the current endings come out of nowhere. It's also Johnnys story with characters V has nothing to do (i.e. you don't get interactions with Smasher to have a personal stake (how about having him kill Jackie)) and the story kinda only works if you like Johnny which can be much to ask as he is a supreme douchebag.

I think if you like the way the game is than more power to you and no amount of argueing should deter you, but it's easy to see why people have massive problems with the game and story beats and especially the endings.
I made this post yesterday with my interpretation of the story, it answers many of your questions

That's the thing I'm unsure about also, CDPR has to bring in major changes/updates for me/others to consider coming back after this
It really makes me think that somehow at any point during the entire development process these endings were given the okay by someone. That shows me that things have changed in CDPR so much that I don't want to come back to this game ever again. I'll probably just stick to buying other games on gog. The endings are just so awful, it makes me feel that there was a total lack of interest in how it would make the players feel. It's like they didn't care that the players would feel bad. :giveup:

I'm tired of the "this is my art" shitty story endings. I'm not reading a book or watching a movie. If I don't have any way to make a difference in V's story why am I given dialogue options at all? Why do I bother to work hard to get better gear and weapons if I fight tooth and nail to die in the end anyway? It all seems like a lie. As big of a lie as Johnny saying he was just gonna talk to Rogue in V's body and then abusing it with booze and sex V didn't consent to. I just wonder why no one in the writers room questioned these endings. Three different ways to get the same two outcomes. Death or later death.

Have to agree with this one. Videogames should provide a certain sense of escapism and the endings in CP don't really do that. I mean, sure, you can have all those shades-of-grey endings, but in a game which was advertised as being the revolution of the RPG genre and all that wonderful stuff, there should be story branches that provide the player with a clear happy ending yet your decisions don't really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. Like another person already said: there's no closure, no catharsis in CP and that sucks.

Top Bottom