The Witcher custom content reviews and walkthroughs

+
I left a comment on the Master Foundry. Great job!

Looks like Evil Decision is next? This should be good. It is easily my favorite of the first 10 adventures released.

Flixster said:
I left a comment on the Master Foundry. Great job!

Looks like Evil Decision is next? This should be good. It is easily my favorite of the first 10 adventures released.

Thank you Flix, saw your comments and they pretty much made my day :)

Evil Decision indeed. More excited than ever now to give this one a whirl, though I do have to tend to a few other game reviews/videos as well beforehand.

Flixter, I can't seem to find Evil Decision for download anywhere. All the links seem to be dead. Would you or anyone else be able to help me out here, I'd hate to skip this one given how good it apparently is.

Evil Decisions by The Raven Team: featuring Underpants Gnomes, Geralt on blue shrooms, golems as employees of the month, and sheep lovin'. What more do you want, seriously?

Evil Decision Review: http://themasterfoundry.com/review/tw1-adventure-evil-decision/

Yay, new Witcher content! At this rate you'll get through them all in 2015!

The name's just "Evil Decision", with no 's' on the end.

I think this is the first time I noticed you put captions above your full-size screenshots! Made me go back and check all of them for the great laughs.

Flixster said:
Yay, new Witcher content! At this rate you'll get through them all in 2015! />/>/>/>

The name's just "Evil Decision", with no 's' on the end.

I think this is the first time I noticed you put captions above your full-size screenshots! Made me go back and check all of them for the great laughs. />/>/>/>

Hahaha, no kidding. Just in time for The Wild Hunt />/>/> And thanks for pointing it out, don't know why I added the plural to "Decision". Anyway, I just fixed it.

Also, glad you're liking the image captions. I was wondering if anyone reads them or even enjoys them. The Part 1 video will be uploading overnight (it's a big one again) and should be up tomorrow at some point. It's too bad my internet isn't the fastest :S Anyway, hope you enjoyed the review. You were right, it's quite the awesome adventure! Definitely my favorite so far.

EDIT: Scratch that unfortunately. The video keeps rendering terribly pixelated and I've yet to figure out why or how to fix it. I'd rather not upload such poor quality, so I'll work on a solution today, and maybe have something up tomorrow.

I know I looked at some pictures full-size before, but I guess I usually just look at the thumbnails. Maybe captions can go over the thumbs too, if there's room? That leaves the reader dying to click the full-size to better see what the caption refers to. Or at least then they won't go unread. I like the quips.

Sorry about the video problems. Maybe a problem on Youtube's end, if it looks fine before uploading? No clue really. Youtube's always giving me some new problem.

Flixster said:
I know I looked at some pictures full-size before, but I guess I usually just look at the thumbnails. Maybe captions can go over the thumbs too, if there's room? That leaves the reader dying to click the full-size to better see what the caption refers to. Or at least then they won't go unread. I like the quips.

Sorry about the video problems. Maybe a problem on Youtube's end, if it looks fine before uploading? No clue really. Youtube's always giving me some new problem.

Hmm...not a bad idea at all about the captions under the thumbs. I'll what it looks like in the coming days, and perhaps keep it so. Thanks Flix!

As for the video problem, I've tried all I can I'm afraid, and even resorted to increasing the rendering quality setting way past what I normally use. While the rendered file appears fine, YouTube's compression really seems to destroy it with pixels and blocks during high motion scenes. What I don't understand is how come all the previous videos, using the exact same settings appear fine. I've even done some tests to recreate segments of previous videos for comparison, to see if I was missing something in the software, but they ended up identical.

Anyway, I just hope it's not so bad that it's unwatchable for people.
Evil Decision Video part 1: http://youtu.be/_W13KlPBniA
Evil Decision Video part 2: http://youtu.be/p4ZdKcUz0u0

It looks ok to me. But I have terrible bandwidth so I can only watch low quality anyway. I can't even stream stuff on youtube, I have to use a third party program to download videos and watch them later. But even then, my speed is so slow that the DL usually times out if the video is over 300MB. So I'm mostly watching 360p.

I was thinking about the visual problems you were having with the artifacts, and also with the trees popping in and out. I wonder if you've tried removing the Texturen mod? I remember having to selectively remove certain folders from it because they weren't functioning just right.

Flixster said:
It looks ok to me. But I have terrible bandwidth so I can only watch low quality anyway. I can't even stream stuff on youtube, I have to use a third party program to download videos and watch them later. But even then, my speed is so slow that the DL usually times out if the video is over 300MB. So I'm mostly watching 360p.

I was thinking about the visual problems you were having with the artifacts, and also with the trees popping in and out. I wonder if you've tried removing the Texturen mod? I remember having to selectively remove certain folders from it because they weren't functioning just right.

Hello again Flix and thanks for the tip! I kept running tests after posting the content and have come to the conclusion that it is level specific. I've been running the exact same Sony Vegas settings since I started The Master Foundry, and no other game or Witcher level has this issue. During these past few days I've been rerecording small segments from previously played levels, and they come out exactly as they always did.

I think the issue comes not from the Texturen mod but the open nature of this particular level and the draw distance for grass, constantly appearing as I move. The average quality I set the software to compress the original at just can't handle it. Like I said, I was able to eliminate the issue completely by significantly raising the settings past the norm. Sadly, I would never be able to upload files of that size in due time, it's just not practical.

Anyway, for now I'm going to hope that I'll have an easier time with future adventures. I was mostly worried because already so few people watch these old Witcher 1 runs, I didn't want to give them an extra reason to avoid them.

Well Evil Decision is the 1st of 9 adventures that use that outdoor map from Chapter 4, so it may just be something you'll have to get used to, or use a different program to capture/process the videos.

As for the levels of the others remaining, there are 3 more in Vizima, 2 in the Swamp, 2 that are all indoors, 1 in the Outskirts, and one that's all over the place.

Flixster said:
Well Evil Decision is the 1st of 9 adventures that use that outdoor map from Chapter 4, so it may just be something you'll have to get used to, or use a different program to capture/process the videos.

As for the levels of the others remaining, there are 3 more in Vizima, 2 in the Swamp, 2 that are all indoors, 1 in the Outskirts, and one that's all over the place.

I see... Well, you mentioned that some are very short, so for those I could crank the quality pretty high while keeping an acceptable file size. Guess we'll see when we get there :)/>

Anyway, here's parts 3 and 4!
Evil Decision Video part 3: http://youtu.be/QNQqMmfsZ1o
Evil Decision Video part 4: http://youtu.be/lz7RP5UVZrI

I wouldn't worry too much about the video quality, I would bet most viewers aren't concerned about pristine cinema-quality video as much as they are interested in the commentary.

Finally finished watching the videos. Great job! I tried to comment on some of them but youtube was giving me trouble. I didn't think you were gonna make it through the golem fight.

I think The Wedding is next. My suggestions for the video:

-Consider a blind playthrough. It's all talking, you can't mess it up or die, but it CAN bug out and not allow you to progress for various reasons. And you have to talk to everyone and exhaust all the dialogue to progress it. It took me 3 tries to beat it because of bugs. Clicking through all that dialogue was funny the first time, ok the second time, and by the third, it was just click-click-click-click aaaahhhhh shut up and get me back to where I was!!

-Practice your character voices, or get some friends to help out and do some of the voices. I don't know which would be funnier. I'm just joking with this btw.

Flixster said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the video quality, I would bet most viewers aren't concerned about pristine cinema-quality video as much as they are interested in the commentary.

Finally finished watching the videos. Great job! I tried to comment on some of them but youtube was giving me trouble. I didn't think you were gonna make it through the golem fight.

I think The Wedding is next. My suggestions for the video:

-Consider a blind playthrough. It's all talking, you can't mess it up or die, but it CAN bug out and not allow you to progress for various reasons. And you have to talk to everyone and exhaust all the dialogue to progress it. It took me 3 tries to beat it because of bugs. Clicking through all that dialogue was funny the first time, ok the second time, and by the third, it was just click-click-click-click aaaahhhhh shut up and get me back to where I was!!

-Practice your character voices, or get some friends to help out and do some of the voices. I don't know which would be funnier. I'm just joking with this btw.

Thanks Flix, and I appreciate the suggestions for The Wedding :) You know, initially I really wanted to record blind playthroughs for all the games I play, as I definitely see their entertainment value. With ghosting though, and the collection of loot and such in games like Thief/TDM/Dishonored, it would be that much more difficult. Recently though, I've been considering recording blind playthroughs regardless of final stats, while focusing on perfection (loot/score) in my written reviews. Don't know, just thinking about it.

As for The Wedding suggestion, I can absolutely play that one blind and record, I would just need to know how long the level is approximately (taking into account that I'll be reading the dialogue). I'd hate to have a last 5 minute video concluding the level.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I dunno, it could probably be done in two videos. My recollection may be shrinking it, though, since it takes place in a small area, but there's a lot of talking and scenes.

However you do it, I wish an enjoyable and bug-free playthrough!

Here we go! Just finished my review and uploaded it to the site! Thanks for the info Flix, the videos ended up being approximately 30 min each, so it worked out very well. The third and last part should be up tomorrow morning. Hope you like it, playing it blind was quite a treat :)/>

The Wedding Review: http://themasterfoundry.com/review/tw1-adventure-the-wedding/
The Wedding Video part 1: http://youtu.be/oANtUTdtSew
The Wedding Video part 2: http://youtu.be/xKFAQfVY8f0
The Wedding Video part 3: http://youtu.be/VpractZNZhU

Wooo! This was delightful. I think the blind playthrough worked out pretty well, all things considered. I can also tell, that I would probably not prefer it for most of the "regular" adventures (though I wouldn't HATE it). The reason being that since these are walkthroughs, watching someone figure stuff out for the first time, possibly making mistakes, kind of works against the "let me show you how it's done" informative aspect that the more complex adventures require.

But for this, where it's basically an interactive movie, it worked great. In Part 1, I can tell I got you overly paranoid about bugs, and as you eventually saw, they're not user-caused but seemingly random glitches. For my part I got the one where Yarpen magically leaves the room when the fistfight starts, leaving Geralt stuck in fistfight mode and stuck in the room since you can't use the door. On reloading I got the "no one has anything to say, ever again" bug. I kept meditating at the fire, advancing an hour at a time, thinking there might be new responses based on time of day. You probably noticed that the NPC's had routines they followed, and those changed up as the "plot" progressed. Adda will actually change back and forth from human to striga based on time of day.

Speaking of which, I noticed a very memorable scene was missing. This scene involved that little side area in Room #2 where there is like a smoking circle with hookahs and cushions. At one point the crazy dwarf (same one who made the Snot of Truth or whatever) gets Geralt to smoke some "leaf" and he has this hallucination where a bunch of girls are dancing around him making fun of him.

So I wonder, did you cut that scene out or did you never encounter it? I also remember multiple conversations with Siegfried and I think there's a point where Geralt actually tries the Snot of Power and gets so drunk he does his "intoxicated" stagger and you have to meditate to get rid of it. So I guess maybe every single conversation isn't necessary to complete the adventure.

Wow, a whole scene missed (and what a scene, haha)! It never came about, and yet I was sure I spoke to everyone. Interesting... And speaking of intoxication, I was actually glad that Geralt seemed so resistant to getting drunk during my initial playthrough. I would have hated stumbling about after every conversation, slowly making my way back to the fireplace for meditation. Actually, this effect always made me a little sick in The Witcher, quite literally.

Anyway, I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed the playthrough, and I agree that the rest should probably remain walkthroughs as opposed to blind runs. Still, this one was very fun to play this way and if there are anymore short missions such as this one, please let me know and I'll gladly record a fresh run again. Also, I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to you here. I've been a little m.i.a. lately, with the holidays, parties, etc... Just wanted to say thanks for all your support so far, it's always a pleasure conversing with you :) Happy holidays and a happy upcoming new year to you Flix!

Top Bottom