YT post about game development

+
Well even if not true a lot of the post makes sense I think we cannot deny that.

Plagued from the start, eh?

I dare to say have delivered software before and if you allow me to make an analysis you can find it below in green:

This is a repost of a comment at yt about the game development:

Don't worry. There is a good chance that these mechanics appear during the year, because they were created, but they were cut out before the game premiere. After the premiere, a lot of facts and stories about the game's production started to be revealed. It seems to me that this information does not reach the English-speaking media, but there is a lot of it in the Polish language.

Which is normal. CDPR is located in Poland and the gossip is strongest there. In our time it is extremely hard to keep something secret and there will always be leaks.

The most important ones are: The game has been developed since 2012. Originally, the game was supposed to resemble very much the Witcher 3 (we were supposed to play with a detective known from the first trailer, the game was supposed to have a first-person and third-person view, be dark, and the main storyline was supposed to talk about the conspiracy of the corporation with the government connected with the plague of cyberpsychois.

Well we all know this is not true for sure. Just writing and initial design probably started then, but it was falsely advertised which backfired on the game later.

In 2016 the scriptwriter was changed and despite the advanced work on the game (which was to come out in 2017 at the latest) the whole game was deleted and started again. The new scenario was much more complex and soon it turned out that the used game engine is not able to work properly with such an advanced game. In 2016 the whole game was rewritten for the new engine. In 2018 the acting sessions for the game were already in progress. The game assumed that the scenario will look completely different depending on the choice of gender, character orgin, and the result of the mission with the chip. It was supposed to be 18 different games! Each scenario had its own missions, unique characters and locations. For example, the results of a mission with a stolen chip depended on whether Jackie dies and it is the V who will implant the chip, Jackie will survive and it is he who will implant the chip, or maybe we will tempt the corporation and give the chip back and Jackie will survive but be our enemy. Each of these three scenarios had its own narrator.

There is an inconsistency here. You first create the engine then the game is built on it, which means they first created a new engine. Which took them a lot of time probably and was as well rushed - this is why the movement and some actions feel so stiff. I don't know which engine they used initially, but should have started with a new one from the beginning. (Btw a little interesting info here - it was said that Valve does not do Half-Life 3, because of exactly this reason - lack of a good new engine to build upon). Well problem is they realized it too late that such a huge change needs to be done if true of course. Not a precedent in the industry btw.

One of them was Johnny Silverhand. Keanu Reeves liked the script so much that he asked for a bigger role for his character. As a result, the whole story was rebuilt and the other two narrators were thrown out of the game. One of them was definitely supposed to be Hideo Kojima. The other one was probably Jackie. We also know that in one of the scenarios the character played a huge role of Lady Gaga (it is possible that she was to be the third narrator).

According to the clues left from the initial gameplay trailers that Silverhand died in 2076 this might be possible. Still we have only clues of course not real evidence. They probably thought it would be extremely cool to have such an actor present during the whole game. This is the second time the story starts from point 0 - here they were already in extremely dangerous waters and I do not know who took such a decision, but it wasn't a good one to put it lightly.

As a result of additional work (an important factor was the employment of people with no experience in managerial positions, who with their stupid ideas sabotaged the work of programmers) many advanced gameplay mechanics were neglected. In mid-2019 it became obvious that the game will not be ready by 2020. It was therefore decided to cut out further storyline elements such as: storyline threads regardless of gender, an advanced system of relations with gangs, characters about corporations, 8 hours of prologue, which was summarized into a film interlude, and which explained the rules of the world to the player, built a tower with characters, and taught the mechanic.

Nothing new. The whole IT industry is plagued by bad management. As John Tolkien said - "Not one in a million is fit for it..."
As for the cuts - those who say that it is not true are just blindly defending the game and the team. It is obvious from kilometers away there were large cuts (features, gameplay, story, etc.).

In early 2020, all versions of the game were full of bugs, plot inconsistencies and mechanics that were not working, and the game itself was unoptimized. The postponement of the first release was only to cut out more missions and mechanics such as: advanced AI of drivers, opponents and police, crowd AI, advanced model of environmental damage and vehicles. The following were thrown out of the game a year earlier: train driving, flying vehicles, floating vehicles, running on walls, and vehicle tuning mechanics were not even started.

Well after all listed above and after two literal restarts this is to be fully expected. Nothing surprising here. Very sad is the fact they cut so good ideas and features. Those listed features sound really awesome and would have made the game 10/10 indeed. It saddens me to hear it and if true so good things went down the drain. :(

Now we know that all forces have been directed to fix the bugs by stopping work on two role-playing additions. It is possible that CDPR will add removed mechanics and feature content as free DLC. Most of these things are partially done and need only be fine-tuned. It would be a shame to throw away so much work, especially since releasing the deleted content would restore CDPR's reputation among players.

This is likely true. It is the only logical way to go. When your production system (in this case game) does not work properly you stop work on everything else and try to fix it as soon as possible. Nothing surprising here again - it is an established work procedure almost everywhere. Stopping work on the two role-playing additions should not only have been because of the bugs, but probably also because of the backlash about the story as they will wait the feedback to see in which direction to go. Being Agile is actually very important especially in such cases.

I dont know if this is true, but if yes its acutally much more sad and dissapointing how this game turned out.... What do you think?

Me neither, but some of the things sound quite possible and real. It is completely another thing that we will probably never know as no one will ever admit it. Also information quite often gets twisted and corrupted by passing through different people. It is not probably 100% truth, but I think there is a large amount of truth in it.

bign

Forum regular
Which is normal. CDPR is located in Poland and the gossip is strongest there. In our time it is extremely hard to keep something secret and there will always be leaks.

Just believing what someone in a random youtube comment says?

Where's the post to the original comment? Did the youtube commenter link the Polish articles in his post?

Just believing what someone in a random youtube comment says?

Where's the post to the original comment? Did the youtube commenter link the Polish articles in his post?

I'm not believing it, I was just making somewhat of analysis on the article posted. Also it seems you never worked in corporate environment before - of course there is a gossip of those around and by their competitors. Of course some of the CDPR employees who worked on the game are probably very frustrated by the decisions taken. And of course some of them leaked info either during drinking beer/coffee with friends or with their colleagues from other companies around. This is a daily routine in such companies.

Last edited:
In the end, it was all about the "perception" of what the game was to be at release. And a vast number of fans expected a vastly different game than what they believed they actually bought based on those misconceptions. I know I did. I was under the impression that I had paid for a "next gen, open world rpg, where your story takes place in the cyberpunk universe". And as a veteran gamer dating all the way back to ToriMuds, I can attest that this game is definitely NOT much of that. In fact, the ONLY part that actually lines up is the cyberpunk universe aspect.

Regardless of what anyone perceived, CDPR allowed those perceptions to run wild. And even proceeded to capitalize on those misconceived perceptions, by leaving out critical design changes in official communications to the public as late as just 4 months out from release. And tried to excuse those omissions away with the age old "didn't you see the disclaimers?" excuse.

We all saw the wall running. And then they removed it and alerted fans of that decision and why. And they should have managed fan expectations in that same exact manner EVERY STEP of the way. They knowingly and willfully did not. And for that reason, I'm inclined to believe that at least some parts of that YT post are very likely true. Is everyone just supposed to automatically believe it's all lies? Why? Because CDPR's track record surrounding everything about this game's development has been such a stellar showing of honesty and transparency? Sorry. But that ship sailed many interviews and trailers ago.

But where it really bit them in the ass wasn't with what they withheld from long invested fans, but with what they withheld from the console manufacturers about the game's performance on last gen hardware. Nothing ANY of us as gamers can do will change what's happened. Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) on the other hand? They can make this whole thing quite painful. Especially after being forced to go against their own strict, no refund policy.

CDPR has their hands full. Because Sony isn't going to settle for just "debugged and optimized" as part of any agreement to re-add this to their store. They're going to want something more significant to offer their customers to make it worth their while.

But its not just "hype". There are players who bought this game without getting hyped, just to find out that something is off with the story and the game. They then proceed to use the internet to check out whats wrong and there you go. You found the problem and have the same feelings as the players that got "hyped".
I was that person. I only had saw a few minutes of the 2018 video. Than I stuck to reading articles from the news CD put out. What got me hooked was the setting, the "extensive" character creator, and gangs. All three things are nothing. There is not much to do in the setting. When you're not allowed to immerse yourself in the various aspect. Which goes with the character creator. Whatever they thought of being a good creator. Saints Row 3 and 4 did better. You could at least modify the actual body. It wasn't the best thing in the universe.

But At least I had the choice to make a super hero looking character. In here, V is some character that can't use half the things the city shows me. And I'm beating up Razor. With some dinky looking Gorilla arms. While I would like to make my body look like his. We don't even have the option to have a voice filter. Like the Animals. Or the red eyes of the Maelstrom. Those pointy legs.

As for the Gangs. That was the thing I was wanting. Because the only thing I thought at minimum. Was the gang system in GTA San Andreas. This game doesn't even use the animals. In any real proper story element. Let alone have a rep gang system to use. Did I like what the game does have, yes. But I would have not bought this game on launch. They hyped up all the junk they kept saying about it. If they said the creator was going to be VERY BASIC. And the game is a linear story. With some choices. I'd be cool with it. I'll check it out when I can, later. Older games did things better. Which is one of the things that sours the game in peoples view.

As for story. The things that really burned me is how loads of character die or get dropped so fast. I can't really invest with them. If they are dust in a few missions. If you can't develop all the characters. You need to drop and scale back these characters. BEFORE you start making the game. Editing this stuff on the fly is the worst thing. I can see all the edits of things lost. Or not being used correctly. Just to save on time. The relationships are the most affected by this.

Last edited:
I was that person. I only had saw a few minutes of the 2018 video. Than I stuck to reading articles from the news CD put out. What got me hooked was the setting, the "extensive" character creator, and gangs. All three things are nothing. There is not much to do in the setting. When you're not allowed to immerse yourself in the various aspect. Which goes with the character creator. Whatever they thought of being a good creator. Saints Row 3 and 4 did better. You could at least modify the actual body. It wasn't the best thing in the universe.

But At least I had the choice to make a super hero looking character. In here, V is some character that can't use half the things the city shows me. And I'm beating up Razor. With some dinky looking Gorilla arms. While I would like to make my body look like his. We don't even have the option to have a voice filter. Like the Animals. Or the red eyes of the Maelstrom. Those pointy legs.

As for the Gangs. That was the thing I was wanting. Because the only thing I thought at minimum. Was the gang system in GTA San Andreas. This game doesn't even use the animals. In any real proper story element. Let alone have a rep gang system to use. Did I like what the game does have, yes. But I would have not bought this game on launch. They hyped up all the junk they kept saying about it. If they said the creator was going to be VERY BASIC. And the game is a linear story. With some choices. I'd be cool with it. I'll check it out when I can, later. Older games did things better. Which is one of the things that sours the game in peoples view.
Yes, the correct advertisement CDPR should have employed is: very short linear main story, short side quests, very basic character creation, linear adventure with minor choices.

bign

Forum regular
I'm not believing it, I was just making somewhat of analysis on the article posted. Also it seems you never worked in corporate environment before - of course there is a gossip of those around and by their competitors. Of course some of the CDPR employees who worked on the game are probably very frustrated by the decisions taken. And of course some of them leaked info either during drinking beer/coffee with friends or with their colleagues from other companies around. This is a daily routine in such companies.

I never said this kind of stuff doesn't happen, I can imagine it happening, but that's all it is, my imagination. Right now I am saying the proof hasn't been presented. I tried looking through videos from 4-6 months ago and I can't see it. Also the videos show nothing new, unique or different in the game, everything I saw is in the game.

That write up lost me on "the game was in advanced stages of development in 2016 for a release in 2017"... Yeah, sure. Nice fanfic.

You want a proof? How about that YT comment is now deleted lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/koqav5
I even replied to that comment on YT and I cant even find my own reply so thats that.
Post automatically merged:

It was under this video, the very first comment
TroopperFoFopřed 1 týdnem
1:36 CD Project Red fans after the games release.

Guy posting it was one of orkako the comment is now gone.

If this is all lies why would he delete it?

Last edited:
Sounds like it's wishful thinking. After eight years of development, the game should not look like that. Ask Casey Hudson, he would tell you straight!

That write up lost me on "the game was in advanced stages of development in 2016 for a release in 2017"... Yeah, sure. Nice fanfic.
And that is a good thing? I mean they were hyping this game from almost 2013 and acutally started working on it in 2017? If players would know this I bet they never sold that much copies cause everyone must have figured out they cant make the game they are promising to make in only 3 years .. at least I know i would never buy it on day 1 if I had known it was only 2-3 years in making

I have absolutely no idea if any of it is true but I hope so. I also hope CDPR decide to dig in hard and make the game much closer to what I believe it should be. We can't go back in time and change things and have the experience we wanted and expected so the best we can hope for is a better game in the future. I can't believe I am saying that about this game. The anger and disappointment is so real for me.

bign

Forum regular
You want a proof? How about that YT comment is now deleted lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/koqav5
I even replied to that comment on YT and I cant even find my own reply so thats that.
Post automatically merged:

It was under this video, the very first comment
TroopperFoFopřed 1 týdnem
1:36 CD Project Red fans after the games release.

Guy posting it was one of orkako the comment is now gone.

That reddit post is referencing this thread, it adds no validity since it is circular reference. So nobdy screencapped this either? I'm calling bull on the story till I see something more substantive.

And that is a good thing? I mean they were hyping this game from almost 2013 and acutally started working on it in 2017? If players would know this I bet they never sold that much copies cause everyone must have figured out they cant make the game they are promising to make in only 3 years .. at least I know i would never buy it on day 1 if I had known it was only 2-3 years in making
Proper marketing of the game started only in 2018. Before that we only saw couple of interviews and a CGI video. Hardly counts as hyping the game since 2013. People had high expectations because Witcher 3 ended up being a smash success. But only after 2015-2016. Almost nobody knew or cared about CP77 before that.

The fact that full development started only in 2016 isn't good or bad. It's the reality of things. People should stop pushing this false narrative that they had 8 years to develop the game. Because they didn't have 8 years. 4 years max. And judging by the leaked info from a confirmed dev, the game needed another half a year at least.

If you deluded yourself into thinking the game was in development for 8 years - there's nobody to blame but yourself.

That reddit post is referencing this thread, it adds no validity since it is circular reference. So nobdy screencapped this either? I'm calling bull on the story till I see something more substantive.
Yes except the post is deleted now little weird no?

If it was true, why would he delete it?
You don't have arguements except – as was pointed out already – circular "he said, she said" and now even this :D
"Look at this reddit thread about my thread! It confirms that what I said was said by me. Therefore it's true that someone said it!"
Great logic!

I'll have to be skeptical here, because the situation is that the video was only linked after the source comment had been conveniently deleted.

Wouldn't blame the person for deleting such a comment though, as it's rather accusatory.

If it was true, why would he delete it?
You don't have arguements except – as was pointed out already – circular "he said, she said" and now even this :D
"Look at this reddit thread about my thread! It confirms that what I said was said by me. Therefore it's true that someone said it!"
Great logic!
Yeah I believe it, not all of it but there is definitely some truth in there, I have played the game for at least 60 hours and I can see that lot of the features, lot of the content what was supposed to be in the game is clearly missing, its popping at you at every corner in the game.

I have also watched a lot of YT vids and lots of topics and articles on the web, where people discussing everything whats wrong and that cut content/features and false or misleading statements and promises from CDPR before release, with a LOT of acutall evidence supporting their opinions. Most of them coming to the same conclusion that this is NOT the game what was promised and what was intended to be.

There is also a lot of evidence even from CDPR themselves clearly lying about features of the game even few months before release. For example that day and night cycle and advanced AI of NPCs or multiple choices and multiple ways how the story will progress and more. This also is making me believe that there is something truthfull in that post.

Even the very popular 2018 gameplay reveal is supporting that something was very wrong with the game development. Even when you put the "work in progress" there. That usually mean that some things are going to change, some will be even improved and maybe some cut, but NOT that you will release a completely different game with more than a half of the features there missing. That game shown in 2018 is nothing like the game released.

Look I can say (maybe I am wrong) from your comments, that you love the game very much and in your eyes CDPR delivered what they promised and its enough for you, so naturally you wont believe any of this could be true.

But I am not, I played the game as I said and I kinda enjoyed it (you dont play a game for 60 hours if you dont atleast somehow enjoy it right), but after the 60hours I was like "thats it? thats all after all that years, that hype, all those promises how this is going to be the defining game of the generation, the best open world to date?" . It left me really dissapointed because the game doesnt reach its potential by far, nor it is the game that was promised to be. So naturally I started poking around internet trying to find whats wrong with the game and I found plenty, there are dozens even hundrets of videos and posts around internet all agreeing that this is not by far the game it intended to be, and when you linked all those videos and opinions together with your actuall experience with the game, where you can see the clearly missing content and features it acutally makes a lot of sense.

So after all of this, yeah I believe even a random YT comment that something was really wrong with the game development, of course not all of it, but some truth at least for me is definitely there.

If you dont believe the fake promises and lies from CDPR before release here are some examples:

Of course there is the megathread here and in REDDIT about all missing features and promises with actuall links so if you want I cant copy it here.

And also dozens or even hunderts of vids on YT and other post and topics, and articles on the internet. I can refer you to watch those which was posted here above and I am also sure that if you want you can find much more by yourself, because there is literally a ton of them everywhere.

EDIT:

I forgot to say that I am not saying all this to completely thrash the game, nor I am saying that it is a bad or crap game, but we were promised THE game, something huge, something groundbreaking a 10/10 game. But we got a medicore, only somehow little above average looter-shooter with open world, its a good game but games like Cyberpunk was release maybe like 50 in last ten years so its just nothing new. I honestly cant see much difference between CP77 and Ubisoft (often very hated) open world games like AC or Far Cry. Except for the better story and some side missions. So in overall I am dissapointed because its not even close the best games we had in last ten years.

Last edited:
And judging by the leaked info from a confirmed dev, the game needed another half a year at least.

Where I can find that info? I would like to check it out.

Btw, people, people, apparently you don't understand. If the article is not true then it is even worse than you think. In that case they had 3-4-5 years to make the game evidently without any disruption.
So again - if the article is not true and there were no such disruptions as described is that all they can pull out? That quality with straightforward development? Why is it in such bad shape then? Think about that.

Top Bottom