[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Which proves nothing. What is the theme's resolutions of V living an happy and long life?

The theme of Cyberpunk is the inevitability of death, and how to deal with it. What is the theme of your endings instead? What do your endings have to say to the player?

how does Johnny living a happy and long life in Vs body fit in with this?
I also disagree that this is the theme of cyberpunk. Where did you get this from?

I don't know how to express this in english well but a game based on c&c need to respect the choices of players by giving them a various types of endings to reward or punish based on merits.

I disagree, a good C&C system doesn't have to punish or reward a player, but simply present organic consequences to the playable character's choices. The endings are already varied enough, they should just be presented to the player organically after multiple choices instead of one choice at the end of the game

why would every game need to have a happy ending?

Nobody here wants a "rainbows and sunshine" happy ending, it's not even achievable given the previous events in the game. Most people want to affect the ending's outcome. The current endings would still range from bittersweet to mostly bleak, even with V surviving after 6 months.

Which proves nothing. What is the theme's resolutions of V living an happy and long life?
The theme of Cyberpunk is the inevitability of death, and how to deal with it. What is the theme of your endings instead? What do your endings have to say to the player?

Quiet life vs blaze of glory (there was never an option to have a quiet life). Friendship and close connections vs glory and power. Found family. The meaning of soul, consciousness and personal identity. Transhumanism and the impact of technology on humanity. Fear of death. The struggle to survive. The loss of spirituality. The morality of corporations and those that oppose them (are Dex and the Voodoo boys really better than people working for Arasaka?).

There are a lot of themes, V having the possibility to survive doesn't diminish any of them.

Last edited:
I disagree, a good C&C system doesn't have to punish or reward a player, but simply present organic consequences to the playable character's choices. The endings are already varied enough, they should just be presented to the player organically after multiple choices instead of one choice at the end of the game
What´s the sense of that, when you are only given one kind of choices that lead into a railroad anyway???

That you cannot save the world, but can save yourself. If i'm not mistaken, that was Mike Pondsmith's idea.
Also, in my variant everything has a price. V can have glory and wealth, but no freedom, or freedom, but not everything else.

Because you´re not given a chance to say something else.

That would simply end the game there. Choosing to live as Mr/Miss Nobody is actually a good idea, they could've implemented it New Vegas style.

But we are talking about the end game endings here. V chose the blaze of glory with the Arasaka's heist. He did, stole a precious hardware from one of the most dangerous corporations in the world. And then died when he was shot by Dex. V's story is over that moment. Title is dropped. From then on, it's simply borrowed time. Death is inevitable.
Post automatically merged:

Also, in my variant everything has a price. V can have glory and wealth, but no freedom, or freedom, but not everything else.

How do you communicate the "no freedom" feeling to the player? The only way would be to make V remote controlled by Arasaka

It's not dumb, letting V live is retarded and awful writing.

Retarded and awful writing?

The current epigue is awful writing. The contradictions, plotholes and basic lore oversights this bullshit created is staggering.

Letting V live with the burdon to have sacrificed Johnny, rogue/Saul lots of nameless helpers and basically being a terrorist or an arasaka pawn is more than enough.

Better writing, less edginess.

Btw. Edgy and grimdark endings are basically the same as sunshine and bunnies ending - they are only on the opposite side of the cringe spectrum.

Edit. Where is the closure in the existing ending? V dies not get closure - only death.

That would simply end the game there. Choosing to live as Mr/Miss Nobody is actually a good idea, they could've implemented it New Vegas style.

But we are talking about the end game endings here. V chose the blaze of glory with the Arasaka's heist. He did, stole a precious hardware from one of the most dangerous corporations in the world. And then died when he was shot by Dex. V's story is over that moment. Title is dropped. From then on, it's simply borrowed time. Death is inevitable.
Again, you´re not given any other options. Why do they bring up Evelyns offer, when you can´t go with it???

Post automatically merged:

How do you communicate the "no freedom" feeling to the player? The only way would be to make V remote controlled by Arasaka
No, a short cutscene would be enough. Kinda like this:

- V, glad to see you. I have an important task for you, - Hanako greeted V with perfect politeness and almost believable joy.
- I’m all ears.
- Next week I should fly in Tokyo, and I need you to settle some scores there for me.
- You’re expecting trouble?
- As always in these turbulent times. Short period of my brother’s clumsy leadership managed to cause damage to Arasaka, and some old rivals lifted their heads, seeing a chance to strike. I need you to make an example V, you’re the man for the job. Takemura holds you in high regards, and so do I, - Hanako smiled slightly.
“Such a long way from some no-name street kid to a main Arasaka carnifex. As in those old books Johnny tried to make me read. Slay a monster and become a monster instead. Behold, Night City, V, the Adam Smasher 2.0, new and improved!” - V thought sadly. Somehow Hanako read him:
- You’re no kid, V, you should understand how things work. After all you’ve done to survive only we, Arasaka, could save you from ourselves, from legal trials and a dozen of electro chairs you’re rightfully earned, trying to rob us, killing our men and damaging our property. And now you have fame, respect, wealth, status and, most importantly, the future. Moreover, you didn’t need whatever plan you probably had, no one died for you. Isn’t that good? - this time Hanako was sincere.
- You’re right. Time to go, - V nodded in compliance.

In Dex's car. You can pick 3 options: quiet life, blaze of glory, or "this is a dumbass question, get to the point". I went for the third.

Being a NC legend is Jackie's dream, not necessarily V's. You can shape that with many dialogue options in Act 1 (in the Afterlife, Delamain before the heist, etc).

Exactly. You have options. V doesn't just actively say "blaze of glory", we get to choose. The heist isn't supposed to be a "blaze of glory", it's the entry to the major leagues.

No, that's the very definition of lame. Endings should be designed around a consistent theme, not as a way to give every player what they want.
Then they should make a linear game with single ending. What's the point of giving 6 of them when the final outcome is basically the same after 6 months? Sad ending looked good in games like Red Dead Redemption 2 when it is action adventure game and you are only a spectator of all events happening. There obviously is something wrong when in roleplay game whole about survival none of your actions actually matter cause you just die in every possible outcome.

No. It's not.
Did you read cyberpunk literature?
The main themes are exploitation of the working class, all mighty corporations, cyberspace and low level adventures.
Most cyberpunk stories actually provide far happier endings for their protagonists than V would get without the plot-cancer.

You prefer boring ass artificial negativity, it seems.

It's not artificial because it makes sense with the current theme of the game. Long and happy lives are out of the question if you are an edgerunner and want to become an NC Legend.

"NC Legends. Where do you find most of them? The graveyard"

Top Bottom