[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
It's not artificial because it makes sense with the current theme of the game. Long and happy lives are out of the question if you are an edgerunner and want to become an NC Legend.

"NC Legends. Where do you find most of them? The graveyard"
Well. Vs goal to become a legend changed to "holy fuck I want to live" the moment dex shot V in the head....

Have you not payed attention during act 2?

Play the Arasaka ending and become an engram. Case closed.

We go back to the same problem, the game would just ends up as "pick the ending that makes you feel better". So you either have a better C&C and reach the endings organically, without actively choosing, or the endings should revolve around the same overarching theme.

Vs goal to become a legend changed to "holy fuck I want to live" the moment dex shot V in the head....

Have you not payed attention during act 2?

But it's too late, already, that's the point. V made a fatal mistake, literally. Now V is more mature, wants to amend the mistake, go back, but can't. This mirrors Johnny 1:1. That's exactly the point.

welcome to our next generation vidya game, where you play an entry level pleb that never makes it anywhere to hammer home our theme of...umm...ah yes here it is, the inevitability of death.

jfc i wish you did the marketing for this game

We go back to the same problem, the game would just ends up as "pick the ending that makes you feel better". So you either have a better C&C and reach the endings organically, without actively choosing, or the endings should revolve around the same overarching theme.
Well. Atm, it does not matter how much you do in the game. You will die. Period.

Player agency is zero.

Btw. The inherent problem is not that V dies - its the justification and execution of it.
It took me 10 minutes of research and I found in-universe solutions for V's problem that are Commercially available.
The plot-cancer is just a cringy and reused plot-device.

welcome to our next generation vidya game, where you play an entry level pleb that never makes it anywhere to hammer home our theme of...umm...ah yes here it is, the inevitability of death.

jfc i wish you did the marketing for this game

You prefer Bioware style where you are a special guy and become a renowned hero with the best looking girl/boy, it's ok.

I like when other games try different things.
Post automatically merged:

it’s not like this game was advertised with “choice that matters” or “shape your story”.

And I've already answered to that. Choices that matter doesn't mean happy endings.

Michael Jackson Eating Popcorn GIFs | Tenor

I wrote short story, where V has two endings:

Path of Freedom - V leaves NC for all times, because after Mikoshi assault he is wanted for terrorism and other crimes. Also Arasaka put a price on his head. No glory, no money, but freedom and love of Panam/Judy. Kerry or River will dump him, though.

Path of Glory - V stays as legendary merc and Arasaka new top enforcer, like Smasher before him, because only Arasaka can protect V from legal trials and 1000 electrochairs V rightfully earned for his multiple crimes. Mountains of eddies, glory, exclusive Arasaka gear, but no freedom, and Panam/Judy will dump him. River and Kerry are fine, though.

And that had a lot of sense if the main story would be about V. But I'd like to remind you that V died at the end of Act 1. Like it or not, but we (players) are playing for a resurrected body shared by two deadmen brains.

Ironically, people are complaining about a lack of choice in multiple quests. However, when they have been given a choice, they would like not to choose.

You prefer Bioware style where you are a special guy and become a renowned hero with the best looking girl/boy, it's ok.

I like when other games try different things.
Post automatically merged:

And I've already answered to that. Choices that matter doesn't mean happy endings.
Apparently they would, because it´s choices and you could choose how things go. But in this game you don´t have choices. You only can pick 1 out of 2-3 answers, that in the end lead to the same.

I disagree, a good C&C system doesn't have to punish or reward a player, but simply present organic consequences to the playable character's choices. The endings are already varied enough, they should just be presented to the player organically after multiple choices instead of one choice at the end of the game
If the consequence is always the same you only have the illusion of choice.

Then they should make a linear game with single ending. What's the point of giving 6 of them when the final outcome is basically the same after 6 months? Sad ending looked good in games like Red Dead Redemption 2 when it is action adventure game and you are only a spectator of all events happening. There obviously is something wrong when in roleplay game whole about survival none of your actions actually matter cause you just die in every possible outcome.

Because they are not the same.

But it's too late, already, that's the point. V made a fatal mistake, literally. Now V is more mature, wants to amend the mistake, go back, but can't. This mirrors Johnny 1:1. That's exactly the point.

Except Johnny can very well amend his mistakes in the game. He gets to live again, takes his revenge on Arasaka, kills Adam Smasher, meets Alt and his old friends again, and if you have a good relationship with him he even gets to make new ones.

I get it, you like the current ending. Nothing wrong with it, no one here wants to remove the option to have a bleak ending for V in which they end up dying. But reducing the game's themes to "struggling is useless, death is inevitable whatever you do" is not only reductive, it's just plain wrong for the genre. In cyberpunk people live and die, regardless of whether they "deserve" it or not. NC is still dangerous, the badlands are still dangerous. Having the possibility of finding a cure doesn't magically turn V's life into a walk in the park.

Top Bottom