What are the chances that GOG will sell Black Mesa?

+
I wouldn't mind getting that game at the right price. I finished Half Life on console and despite having a PC feel to it, I didn't mind it.

Xen part is terribly long and boring (final boss fight is pure visual chaos) and old gameplay has not aged well (at least with the new graphic, I'd prefer to play the original one). Not a great problem if it's not in the catalogue.

My guess is that Valves permission to sell the game is restricted to Steam. Tbh anything else would surprise me.

Xen part is terribly long and boring (final boss fight is pure visual chaos) and old gameplay has not aged well (at least with the new graphic, I'd prefer to play the original one). Not a great problem if it's not in the catalogue.

I would have thought that a rebooting of the visuals would have been a big improvement. It's isn't a shot for shot remake of Half Life but with better visuals?

I played HL many years ago and I probably found the PC nature of it boring too, maybe just initially though. I can still remember being annoyed by how you could get lost in the tunnels. That's a really annoying PC game design feature.

Last edited:
I would have thought that a rebooting of the visuals would have been a big improvement. It's isn't a shot for shot remake of Half Life but with better visuals?

I played HL many years ago and I probably found the PC nature of it boring too, maybe just initially though. I can still remember being annoyed by how you could get lost in the tunnels. That's a really annoying PC game design feature.

No, they changed the sctructure of a couple of levels ("on a rail" for example) and Xen now is long, I think, 2/3 times the original one. Also the final boss (nihilant) plays differently.
I say, some areas with the improved graphic are really stunning and well done, but IA is terrible and mechanics are really old school.

Maybe they should have dare more.
I don't know if you have ever played HL2 with Cinematic Mod, but it was very good in terms of improved models/textures but also with shooting/gameplay mechanics.

No, they changed the sctructure of a couple of levels ("on a rail" for example) and Xen now is long, I think, 2/3 times the original one. Also the final boss (nihilant) plays differently.
I say, some areas with the improved graphic are really stunning and well done, but IA is terrible and mechanics are really old school.

Maybe they should have dare more.
I don't know if you have ever played HL2 with Cinematic Mod, but it was very good in terms of improved models/textures but also with shooting/gameplay mechanics.

Random observation: playing HL on console, it struck me that those aliens on people's heads looked like roast chickens. I stay clear of KFC for this reason.

I started playing HL2 on console but I got stuck early on in the game where you are in an apartment and the authorities or whatever raid that unit. There seemed to be some sort of course of action which you were supposed to do to progress the story but I never found it. I think that the game sort of reset or something. I stopped playing after a few failed attempts to get past this point. Maybe that was at a time when online video solutions were too much of a thing. I'm thinking that maybe I should give the game another go and if I still can't work out what to do, I should just look online for what to do. Hopefully it's not a game where you constantly have to do that to progress.

I can't say that I remember the final battle. I do remember meteor asteroid hopping or whatever leading up to the ending and getting lost and going around in circles in the tunnels. Ah, fun days.

Last edited:
Random observation: playing HL on console, it struck me that those aliens on people's heads looked like roast chickens. I stay clear of KFC for this reason.

I started playing HL2 on console but I got stuck early on in the game where you are in an apartment and the authorities or whatever raid that unit. There seemed to be some sort of course of action which you were supposed to do to progress the story but I never found it. I think that the game sort of reset or something. I stopped playing after a few failed attempts to get past this point. Maybe that was at a time when online video solutions were too much of a thing. I'm thinking that maybe I should give the game another go and if I still can't work out what to do, I should just look online for what to do. Hopefully it's not a game where you constantly have to do that to progress.

I can't say that I remember the final battle. I do remember meteor hopping or whatever leading up to the ending and getting lost and going around in circles in the tunnels. Ah, fun days.

If I remember well, at that point you have only to run for your life, escaping from all the rooms and up to the roof. Into the second building, Combines try to take you but Alyx comes to help.
Just give it a shot, HL2 and the two Episodes are quite good. I had a lot of fun with them, main story and modded games.

If I remember well, at that point you have only to run for your life, escaping from all the rooms and up to the roof. Into the second building, Combines try to take you but Alyx comes to help.
Just give it a shot, HL2 and the two Episodes are quite good. I had a lot of fun with them, main story and modded games.

That's my issue with the game...there was little reaction time given to you and I couldn't take the layout of the flat in, so I just didn't know what direction to go. I always went the wrong way, maybe, I dunno. There's just no time to think. Does the game in some sense 'reset' if you guess the wrong way? From memory, if you guess the wrong way, you get teleported to outside of the flat or something.

I haven't played enough of the game to pass comment on whether it's good. It's a highly rated game. Not all such games appeal to me when I play them. Like I said, I should probably have another crack at this game sometime, but if I had to constantly go online to progress I wouldn't rate the game highly. I've played and enjoyed highly rated games where I never had to go online to progress. I like to figure things out for myself.

I've got a long list of games I have on my console but haven't played. Even longer on GOG.

Does the game in some sense 'reset' if you guess the wrong way? From memory, if you guess the wrong way, you get teleported to outside of the flat or something.

No, I don't think so. I think you die if you choose the wrong path... I remember that survirors help you and guide you to find the right way to escape.

No, I don't think so. I think you die if you choose the wrong path... I remember that survirors help you and guide you to find the right way to escape.

I can't say that I noticed any help but like I said, at some point I would want to revisit the game and at least have the option of looking online for the right path. Sometimes I'm so focused on trying to solve something that I might miss cues.

So, I died by not being able to escape? Like I said, if I recall, I ended up in a courtyard after I failed to escape. That sort of seems like I reset, if I'm still alive. Maybe I reverted to a point in time before I entered that flat? I didn't go to a previous save, this is just what the game did when I failed to escape...I think. Could be wrong and maybe I did have to revert to a previous save to continue the game.

That whole reset reminds me of that similar mechanic in the Uncharted games. There's sort of a script that you have to follow and if you don't, you just reset or whatever. It's really, really annoying.

Last edited:
About as likely as buying a McFlurry at Burger King.

You can buy a Big Jack burger in Australia, still perhaps. I think that Maccas had a problem with this and took them to court. Not sure how that is progressing.

Maybe you could get a Big Jacky at BK...or a McBlesa on GOG? I'd get the latter, for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom