Broken Systems: UI and The Minimap

+
There are a few details surrounding the minimap and the UI that need resolving.

Many people have already complained that it's impossible to drive by the minimap and you don't know when to turn because the minimap doesn't cover enough area for you to see a turn in coming up in time. People want the minimap bigger, but I took the other approach: I simply turned it off. The point is that you should pay attention to the beautiful city and not stare at the minimap. It's a lot more fun to figure out your own way in the city, confusing as it can be, than to just follow a dotted line set out for you.

Turned off the minimap really has proved a lot of fun to me, but there are still a few issues. First, once you turn off the minimap, you no longer have an indicator whether or not you are in combat. You can usually tell by the music, so this isn't a major issue, but it still would be nice to have a separate indicator. Secondly, there are still the in-game overlaid indicators of where to go (i.e. the quest indicator with distance and the waypoint indicator with distance). I'd really like to turn those off too. Let me watch the map, figure out where I need to go myself and how to get there. Please don't solve all my problems for me, it's a lot more fun getting a little lost in this city than to follow a beacon the whole time. I don't need a carrot, I'm choosing to play this game.

For the latter (removing the quest indicator) there's a mod, but I still have to check that out myself. Regardless, it would be better if that option were in the game itself. We can already turn off most UI elements, this one is just missing from the list.

I'd prefer playing this game by paying attention to the amazing city/world CD Projekt Red and Mike Pondsmith have created, rather than just blindly following on-screen instructions. I can't emphasize that point enough. So even if on-street driving driving paths are added like in the races, I hope they can be turned off. Except maybe in the races, they may actually be necessary there.

One added UI element that would be useful for navigating the world without doing it for me, is a simple compass. A simple one that tells you where north is, not the crazy Skyrim one that tells you where everything is.

There's already a good thread about this: UI thread

Plenty like myself are still (rather impatiently) waiting for this functionality as well. As a console player I don't have the luxury of installing a mod to deal with it. Really hope that it's a simple feature that the devs might include in the rumoured big January update.

A system is not "broken" just because you can't play the game in a certain way. But the minimap is too zoomed in to be helpful when you're driving and you can miss turns. And the guiding lines don't always use the fastest path or the most sensible one. I've also noticed that you cannot not have a marker and heard that the game loads before the final main mission after you beat it so I guess we're stuck with a yellow marker pinned on our map. These are the real issues. And as a suggestion I would ask that they add specific names to locations on the map and the ability to see what items the shops have in stock without going to them.

A system is not "broken" just because you can't play the game in a certain way.

A system is broken if it diminishes the game. If a system distracts you from paying attention to the game, it diminishes the game. Therefore the system is broken.

A system is broken if it diminishes the game. If a system distracts you from paying attention to the game, it diminishes the game. Therefore the system is broken.

No, stop blowing things out of proportion. Having the UI elements disabled is a preference of a minority in any game's playerbase and the quest markers persisting despite that is a mild annoyance at most.

Top Bottom