Why are pistols so overpowered ?

+
Hard mode
1608513352029.png

Last edited:
I just made legendary versions of the two main weapons you get in the Aldocaldo storyline and i haven't found anything I like better since. Well, River's revolver is cool and I try to find excuses to use it but Overwatch is pretty ridiculous especially if you get it early on. Playing on Hard so i'm not gettting into any DPS contests with anyone - I'm taking my shot and GTFO to the next position.

If it was gonna be remotely balanced, a smart pistol that holds 30 rounds would do the same damage as a smart smg that holds like 90 rounds.
Smart pistol has this palm sized p90 magazine with 30s, but the what smg has a big ar15 size magazine and only 30 rounds? But doesn't do more damage for larger rounds...

Really wierd balancing issue..

Their dps is comparable to any other weapon
This is exactly why pistols are overpowered.

The designer were too obsessed with this "DPS Comparison" and forgot about the "Opportunity for DPS to be outputted" should also be evalueated.

When shooting with cover, in this game, what does matter is "damage per shot", and revolvers and some other pistols have way better "damage per shot" comparing to those other non-sniper guns with the similar "damge per second"

Hacking, Colse Combat, Tech Weapons, Bullit Time.
Everything in the Game is Powerful. Ist a Singleplayer Game. If you don't like it then don't use it. Just saying.

Tune the defucultiy up to very Hard and only use Common Pistons. Don't use the Legendary Electro Shock Hack because it's passive makes me one Hit everything. Without slotting the Hack everything is fine for me....

Hacking, Colse Combat, Tech Weapons, Bullit Time.
Everything in the Game is Powerful. Ist a Singleplayer Game. If you don't like it then don't use it. Just saying.

Tune the defucultiy up to very Hard and only use Common Pistons. Don't use the Legendary Electro Shock Hack because it's passive makes me one Hit everything. Without slotting the Hack everything is fine for me....
Yeah, that is a quite common argument in this kind of topic in any kind of game. "If it's too powerful for your liking, don't use it" isn't a solution but makes things kinda more problematic. With Cyberpunk you come to the point where a lot of things are too powerful fairly quickly, even on Very Hard. So, your solution would be to ignore a majority of the game's features (including RPG elements). Don't use weapon X, Y and also ignore Z, don't use perk X, Y and Z, don't use quickhacks, don't use stealth, don't use grenades, don't use cybernetics, don't craft items, don't use armor, etc. If you go by this method there's not much left in terms of choices, building and individualising a character after a certain point. Most of the game's systems would become redundant.

I'd love to see CDPR either scale all those options down a bit so that the highest available difficulty isn't just a slightly less boring way of playing the game. Or they increase enemy scaling across the board, including making them scale up to level 50. That way most of the side missions, gigs and hustles remain relevant even to the highest level players.

Yeah, that is a quite common argument in this kind of topic in any kind of game. "If it's too powerful for your liking, don't use it" isn't a solution but makes things kinda more problematic. With Cyberpunk you come to the point where a lot of things are too powerful fairly quickly, even on Very Hard. So, your solution would be to ignore a majority of the game's features (including RPG elements). Don't use weapon X, Y and also ignore Z, don't use perk X, Y and Z, don't use quickhacks, don't use stealth, don't use grenades, don't use cybernetics, don't craft items, don't use armor, etc. If you go by this method there's not much left in terms of choices, building and individualising a character after a certain point. Most of the game's systems would become redundant.

I'd love to see CDPR either scale all those options down a bit so that the highest available difficulty isn't just a slightly less boring way of playing the game. Or they increase enemy scaling across the board, including making them scale up to level 50. That way most of the side missions, gigs and hustles remain relevant even to the highest level players.

The other end of the spectrum is all the shitty bullet spong Enemy. If you around Level 20. You one shot every Half Cyborg Malestrom Ganger but the Valentino from the City Center Face-Tank 500 Headshots from you... Just nervig the players Damage will make other Problems this game have evon worse!

Is it just me or are some weapons OP? I crafted an SMG and mods and the dam is over 1300 on a SMART GUN! Also, my armour mods are OP too with a rating over 2500.
Cool looking character. (y) You can buy the epic version of your mask from a certain store if you want to coming with an extra mod slot.

The other end of the spectrum is all the shitty bullet spong Enemy. If you around Level 20. You one shot every Half Cyborg Malestrom Ganger but the Valentino from the City Center Face-Tank 500 Headshots from you... Just nervig the players Damage will make other Problems this game have evon worse!
I don't see how scaling enemies up to level 50 could make the early game and the game's "other problems" worse. Besides that, a level 20-25 character on Easy difficulty can rush through the downtown area extremely quickly already. Furthermore, going against enemies with Very High thread level should mean something even on the lowest game difficulty. Those difficulty settings are there for a reason.
IMO when fighting Very High enemies on Very Hard game difficulty you should require a lot of thinking and using everything at your disposal to overcome them. Right now I'm forced to do that when I want to experience somewhat of a challenge. Everything below that threat level and difficulty is pointless and I have to ignore it. Even if that means the difficulty comes from "bullet spongyness" and higher damage taken rather than smarter AI (which would be appreciated but not so realistic short term).

I don't see how scaling enemies up to level 50 could make the early game and the game's "other problems" worse. Besides that, a level 20-25 character on Easy difficulty can rush through the downtown area extremely quickly already. Furthermore, going against enemies with Very High thread level should mean something even on the lowest game difficulty. Those difficulty settings are there for a reason.
IMO when fighting Very High enemies on Very Hard game difficulty you should require a lot of thinking and using everything at your disposal to overcome them. Right now I'm forced to do that when I want to experience somewhat of a challenge. Everything below that threat level and difficulty is pointless and I have to ignore it. Even if that means the difficulty comes from "bullet spongyness" and higher damage taken rather than smarter AI (which would be appreciated but not so realistic short term).
Fun Fact.

They do scale right now!
I set my Char for the second start via console command to Level 50.
Absolutely Everything Scales to the Players level (enemy, Loot, Quests ect.)

The enemy have a Minimum Level but no Maximum level. At least in my testing. What makes it even more dump :(

Fun Fact.

They do scale right now!
I set my Char for the second start via console command to Level 50.
Absolutely Everything Scales to the Players level (enemy, Loot, Quests ect.)

The enemy have a Minimum Level but no Maximum level. At least in my testing. What makes it even more dump :(
True, some enemy variables scale with your level. But a lot of them don't. If you get to 40-50 without using the console and have an average gear setup (no crafted legendary 4 mod slot items with highest crit and armor bonuses) every encounter you'll find on the map has Very Low threat level, you one-shot every enemy and they won't really hurt you in return even on Very Hard difficulty. At level 20-30 a lot of the areas already are at less than Average threat level. At that point I see no reason to continue playing even when I still have some things to do. I'd love to, though.

True, some enemy variables scale with your level. But a lot of them don't. If you get to 40-50 without using the console and have an average gear setup (no crafted legendary 4 mod slot items with highest crit and armor bonuses) every encounter you'll find on the map has Very Low threat level, you one-shot every enemy and they won't really hurt you in return even on Very Hard difficulty. At level 20-30 a lot of the areas already are at less than Average threat level. At that point I see no reason to continue playing even when I still have some things to do. I'd love to, though.
My test results differ so drastically from your statement that I wonder what is broken / different in your save game.

I wanted to use an SMG as a primary weapon as this realistically would have been a superior weapon platform in the urban environment, but I quickly realized the game favored slower firing higher damaging weapons such as handguns and sniper rifles. Headshot damage multiplier is one thing, skill-based combat should be somewhat rewarded, but the armor absorbing a fixed amount (approx 1 dmg per 40 armor per individual projectile) also HEAVILY favors hard hitting handguns and sniper rifles. In addition, you have to expose yourself more using fast RoF weapons to attempt to leverage the subpar DPS. I like combat despite poor AI reactiveness especially to flanking, but this is amateur level of design and balancing.

Last edited:
I wanted to use an SMG as a primary weapon, but I quickly realized the game favored headshots and slower firing higher damaging weapons such as handguns. Headshot damage multiplier is one thing, the armor absorbing a fixed amount (approx 1 dmg per 40 armor per individual projectile) also HEAVILY favors handguns and sniper rifles. I like combat despite poor AI reactiveness especially to flanking, but this is amateur level of design and balancing.
This is the real problem. Balancing everything on Pure DPS makes fast firing Automatic weapon extrem Ammo eating an more important extreme ineffective at "peek a Buh" corner and cover fighting.

Pistole = 9mm, short barrol
SMG=9mm, medium barrol

SMG simply shut have a little more Damage per Bullit as the Pistol...

I think it's really the importance of single shot kills in order to maintain stealth that harms automatic weapons so much. Now that I have enough crit/crit damage to make my assault rifle one shot headshot everything, I've branched out. Pistols are just unnecessarily powerful with any build that puts emphasis on gun damage.

A design issue for sure, but as long as they want pistols to be a primary weapon you can build around, this issue is unavoidable. I really don't think there's a good "fix" for this with the current design philosophy.

I don't know. This was always the same for me on all three playthroughs I did so far.
View attachment 11130704
The "very low" on the quest Marker DON'T reflect the real stats that the Enemy have you encounter in the quest.
The Enemy scales to the Players level.

The Quest markers have a simpel Skript saying: if Players level xy then show this.

Two different Things/Mechaniks.

Only good to estemate the minimum Level of the Quest. Not more.
As I said, the enemy have a minimum Level but no maximum Level...

Top Bottom