Cyberpunk 2077 versus Watch Dogs, GTA and Mafia

+
Let's agree to disagree!
I spent over 300 hours in Fallout 4 and loved it, but CP2077 beats it by a very long shot.(At least for my taste)

But if you are gonna compare both, you need to compare them both at the state they were in at launch, excluding all the patches, DLC and expansion for Fallout. Fallout 4 was also a mess when it launched, especially if you had an Nvidia card.

Right, I'm in the same boat as you. Played 300+ hours of Fallout 4. This is just a much better and deeper RPG experience. I think the problem with it really was that it was too ambitious. The scale, depth, verticality.

Obviously, I hope they can make some improvements, but it really is an incredible feat as it is.

Well... if i compare let's say... the perk systems of both games... CP77 falls waaay short (at least for me).

You conveniently left out the body modification system. You have different quality levels of quickhacks and body mods as well. The benefits from perks alone are much more incremental but the RPG leveling system for Cyberpunk 2077 is much wider and deeper than Fallout 4's.

The gameplay is just a lot more varied than what Fallout 4 offered.
Post automatically merged:

Thank you for this in all its sarcastic glory. It is unbelievable that people are hard-comparing CP2077 to games that have similar elements but are clearly not of the same cloth.

CP2077 should be compared to (the new and inferior) Fallout games, DeusEx titles and System Shock and its derivatives. As there is no real agreed on academic definition for rpg games and their subgenres (CP2077 would in my opinion be a modern action adventure rpg with FPS and stealth mechanics), we can only really agree or bicker (yes, not debate but bicker) on this theme. There is no real "truth" to this matter, just mostly subjective opinions.

One should also remember that Rockstar has remade and perfected their sandbox adventure concept for a decade and over multiple different games. CDPR has just released their first ever 1st person action rpg with a living and breathing scifi setting. TW3 did not come out of nowhere to be as successful as it was and is, CDPR made two games before it and had around 10 years for honing their concept. Rockstar has made their own journey with sandbox titles and naturally will be more refined in all things related to the sandbox mechanics in a straight comparison. It is just insane to compare CDPRs first modern setting games sandbox elements to titles like GTAV or RDR2 and demand the same and even higher level of polish straight out of the box. No matter what their marketing department has been saying. CDPR made this game from scratch.

I think they perfect the sandbox in this game as well given enough time. When you are a studio that makes a new game every 5 years you can't afford to have that game fail. Way too much riding on it.

Last edited:
Absolutely not! Fallout 4 is a breathing and living world excluding working cars and bikes (unless you use mods from Nexus). Cyberpunk 2077 fails miserably if we compare this game versus the ones I presented in the list. Just look on the videos and then start up Cyberpunk 2077 and experience the mess.

I thought Fallout's strong point was selling the dead and empty atmosphere of a post-nuclear world, not exactly a "living breathing world" but I suppose that's just my opinion...

Car theft simulator having more advanced driving, police chase mechanics and traffic behaviour than Cyberpunk? Big WOW...
Let's compare tennis in GTA 5 (2013 game) to Top Spin 4 (2011 game) and see how clunky it is:

Embarrassing, riiight?

Thank you for this in all its sarcastic glory. It is unbelievable that people are hard-comparing CP2077 to games that have similar elements but are clearly not of the same cloth.

So, Cyberpunk is a theme that people supposed to have their body heavily modified, right? Why don't you look at Cyberpunk 2077 and compare it with Rimworld and Kenshi to see who embarrassing CP77's cyber-prostesis related gameplay is? Rimworld and Kenshi are just some old indie games that have resources uncompareable against CDPR, and neither of these two games were prostesis simulator game!

Cyberpunk 2077 sucks in every aspect expect for the story and the graphic. Face it.

Mafia is a bit of a stretch when coming into the comparison range, though still a fair game to add. Cyberpunk feels like the type of game that is the runt of a mix breed of games with no exact clear definition of where the direction goes.

Let's take a look into Watch Dogs real quick, hacking and being able to influence technology and the world around you are quite impressive in their own respects, hell I mean we have auto drive in cars in Legion to be honest. Now take Cyberpunk, best information we have is basically scrolling a name and whether or not they are a resident/gang banger in NC, mean hell we cannot even skim money out of people via hacking or any sort of world interaction, p.s cars dont even auto drive.

The selling point outside of nudity for Cyberpunk is the act of transhumanism, yet it is still behind the likes of Deus Ex games, similar aspects are obious aka the mantis blades but again, the act of cybernetic upgrades is still nowhere near what one was to expect.

Again, we can compare apples to oranges but end of the day, this game needs work.

Guest 3847602

So, Cyberpunk is a theme that people supposed to have their body heavily modified, right? Why don't you look at Cyberpunk 2077 and compare it with Rimworld and Kenshi to see who embarrassing CP77's cyber-prostesis related gameplay is? Rimworld and Kenshi are just some old indie games that have resources uncompareable against CDPR, and neither of these two games were prostesis simulator game!

Cyberpunk 2077 sucks in every aspect expect for the story and the graphic. Face it.
Haven't played either, but let's say I believe you, cybernetics in those two games are more impressive than mantis blades, gorilla arms, monowire, reinforced tendons, etc...
Again, so what? If I wouldn't have anything better to do, I could probably do a little investigation and find a dozens of examples of what Cyberpunk does better than those two (or what it does that Rimworld and Kenshi doesn't even attempt to do).
My point about comparisons to GTA and WD is that CP is fundamentally different game:
- Primary use of your car or bike is to travel from one quest to another. Vast, vast majority of main quests and side missions do not contain driving, you spend most of the time in indoor environments (warehouses, apartment buildings, offices, etc...). GTA is the exact opposite of that.
- There is only one quest I can remember (Rebel! Rebel!) where you're supposed to run away from cops. GTA is the exact opposite of that.
Driving a car and avoiding pursuit is as much of a part of CP2077 as much as riding a horse is in TW3. You need to go out of your way to provoke police and initiate a car chase only to complain about it being substandard. So yeah, it sucks, it's probably unfinished and it's almost completely irrelevant to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's take a look into Watch Dogs real quick, hacking and being able to influence technology and the world around you are quite impressive in their own respects, hell I mean we have auto drive in cars in Legion to be honest. Now take Cyberpunk, best information we have is basically scrolling a name and whether or not they are a resident/gang banger in NC, mean hell we cannot even skim money out of people via hacking or any sort of world interaction, p.s cars dont even auto drive.

The "information" added to NPCs in Watch Dogs is wholly auto-generated for the occasion from a static list of characteristics. It would not be too big a task to make a couple of .txt files with "Hobbies" and "Vices" to pluck from randomly when scanning an NPC. They are purely for flavor in Watch Dogs and if that is all you want in CP2077, then that should be doable. Just don't expect spoken dialogue for each NPC. Watch Dogs: Legion does it, sorta, but that just means that 95% of characters are bland as fuck.

The "information" added to NPCs in Watch Dogs is wholly auto-generated for the occasion from a static list of characteristics. It would not be too big a task to make a couple of .txt files with "Hobbies" and "Vices" to pluck from randomly when scanning an NPC. They are purely for flavor in Watch Dogs and if that is all you want in CP2077, then that should be doable. Just don't expect spoken dialogue for each NPC. Watch Dogs: Legion does it, sorta, but that just means that 95% of characters are bland as fuck.

See, information even generic as all hell information than a name out of a generated cesspool of names that are put in. No offense to the design teams but honestly, the scanner is redundent for anything outside of the story or reasons of use. I do not expect spoken dialouge and even if they did, be more than happy with the generic reaction responses etc. I just want the NPCS's to be living, breathing people with those so call routines and lives the devs kept mentioning.

- Primary use of your car or bike is to travel from one quest to another.
In CP77, only the main quests and special NPC's side quests are good. The rest involve with repetitive gameplay.
you spend most of the time in indoor environments (warehouses, apartment buildings, offices, etc...)
You are right about this, but the only "indoor enviorments" CP77 have done right was the slum area. The rest are just a bunch of dull Borderland encounter zones implanted into GTA and label them with quest marks.

- There is only one quest I can remember (Rebel! Rebel!) where you're supposed to run away from cops.
Actually, people who complains about the cops in CP77 wasn't because their role in those quests, since there are only few quests are involved with cops and there is nothing wrong with it. The reason why people start to complain the cops' behavior in CP77 was because CP77's open world is so identically similar to GTA's open world except for in CP77 there is not as much to explore as in GTA ruined by CP77's "quest mark open world". TES and 3d Fallout uses a "quest mark open world" as well, but those games are smart enough to keep some of those premade "quest marks" to be random encounters for player to meet. Back to CP77, everything is staged in fixed location, of course some players will start to check on driving or cop behavior to find something new to not get bored since there is not much to explore in CP77.

Again, so what? If I wouldn't have anything better to do, I could probably do a little investigation and find a dozens of examples of what Cyberpunk does better than those two (or what it does that Rimworld and Kenshi doesn't even attempt to do).
I just hope CP77's developer don't have the same attitude like you. It's ok for us players to think this way, but for the developer's decision making members, if they are of such attitude, that would be a disaster. Remember, this game was called "Cyberpunk 2077", not "Nightcity 2077". There is a huge different.

It's an action game. Action adventure. CDPR classified it as such.
Then I don't know what am I reading here in GOG
cp2077 RPG.png

Thanks for this compilation. My baby Watch Dogs 1 still holds up well enough. :p

I'm personally tired of the excuses like "this is an RPG, so all mechanics introduced in the game can be shit". Stop insulting RPG games.

Things that help define an RPG

Stats - check
Skills - check
Leveling system - check
Playing the role of a character - check
World to explore - check

Hate to burst the haters bubble but this is an RPG no matter how much you try to spin it
Then by your definition games like borderlands, saints row, sleeping dogs, tomb raider, deus ex, control all are rpg. Which is wrong mate, rpg is about deep character development, choices and consequences which you heavily affecting.

Stats - not working
Skills - not working
Leveling system - used as some content limiter
Playing the role of a character - cool, but choices doesnt matter
World to explore - limited.

Fixed for you.

EDIT: but you know what you're right CP2077 is an rpg where i can roleplay headless horseman or the THING.

Last edited:
Haven't played either, but let's say I believe you, cybernetics in those two games are more impressive than mantis blades, gorilla arms, monowire, reinforced tendons, etc...
My point about comparisons to GTA and WD is that CP is fundamentally different game:
- Primary use of your car or bike is to travel from one quest to another. Vast, vast majority of main quests and side missions do not contain driving, you spend most of the time in indoor environments (warehouses, apartment buildings, offices, etc...). GTA is the exact opposite of that.
- There is only one quest I can remember (Rebel! Rebel!) where you're supposed to run away from cops. GTA is the exact opposite of that.
Driving a car and avoiding pursuit is as much of a part of CP2077 as much as riding a horse is in TW3. You need to go out of your way to provoke police and initiate a car chase only to complain about it being substandard. So yeah, it sucks, it's probably unfinished and it's almost completely irrelevant to me.
I haven't personally played Rimworld but I've watched a few lets plays on it and have friends who've played it and told me all about it. I have played Kenshi though, I have about 70 hours in it.

I don't know how that guy could really compare Kenshi and Rimworld to Cyberpunk haha, those games are top-down survival simulators, where you are building a base, searching for resources, and building multiple characters. They play like an RTS version of Minecraft with a few RPG mechanics such as skills that your characters build up (mining is a skill for instance).

Sure you can argue that both these games have more in-depth mechanics than Cyberpunk, but Cyberpunk doesn't share 90% of the mechanics they have and it's by design. Cyberpunk doesn't have a base building mechanic, or a starvation mechanic because that's not what the game is about lmao. Kenshi and Rimworld are open world sandbox games, that literally don't have a main story or voiced characters at all, is that a flaw with the games? No because that isn't what the games have been designed to do.

Idk just a silly comparison imo, saying they should be compared because they both have cyber upgrades is like saying 2077's shooting mechanics should be compared to CSGO because they both have guns.

Top Bottom