[TW1][adv] Medical Problems 1: The Village Mystery

+
DelightfulMcCoy said:
DelightfulMcCoy said:
Woo-hooo! I was right :D
About what? What'd I miss? :whatthe:Was there a betting pool about someone quoting the hilarious dialog? :D
I was right when saying that the community would have fun in that Shani\Geralt's scene.It's something that Corylea knows..... :peace:

Thanks for the enthusiastic and detailed review, DelightfulMcCoy! I'm thrilled that you liked "Medical Problems." And it makes me feel good to know that someone noticed so many of the things I put in.
DelightfulMcCoy said:
I don't know how people run through it so fast and where you get the three hours gameplay - I've played two days, on and off. :whatthe:
One time when play-testing, I used a stopwatch. It took me two hours, if I did all of the quests and bedded all of the women but didn't talk to anyone who wasn't necessary for a quest. Since I know exactly where to go and exactly who to talk to, I figured on three hours as the minimum. Some people like to see how quickly they can "beat" a game, which I think misses the point of role-playing games -- and which would miss nearly everything that makes "Medical Problems" special or interesting -- but I thought I should give some idea of the amount of gameplay, and I figured that very goal-directed folks could finish in about three hours. It's not a time I expect you to "live up to" -- if you took your time and experienced more of the game, I'm happy about that!
Of course I LOVE the colors! The Witcher is so dark, which is good, but it is refreshing to have some happy and bright images for a change. The recolors of the clothes are very well made, they are good colors. :D
*smile* Thank you! Yeah, I think the colors in The Witcher work well for the sort of dark-and-gritty story that they want to tell, but I felt starved for color after playing the game. So I purposely made Riverford a dye-makers' village, so that I'd have an excuse to dress everyone in bright colors and have colored clay on the hillsides.
Can we have some more colorful dresses as mod for the game, like the girls' dresses? Or even the village houses? That'd be fun.
I might release these separately in a month or two. For right now, I want the color to be part of what makes "Medical Problems" special.
Like the new loading screens, great effect for the atmosphere.
I'm glad you noticed the loading screens!
The conversations between the NPC's are a nice touch.
Thanks! It took awhile to figure out how to do them, but I've added the know-how to the Djinni Wiki, so now everyone can do them.
I especially enjoyed the chat between Elizabeth and Will while fishing, hehee.
*smile* I'm glad. And most of those conversations that Geralt overhears contain clues. Not update-the-quest kinds of clues, more like Odo's-dog sorts of clues. Will and Elizabeth talk about being thirsty and say something about apple juice. Will and Elizabeth aren't in the hospital. And unlike Maria, Anne, Henry, Tom, Emily, and Jane, they also aren't stopping their work to vomit from time to time. So, they're among the healthiest of all of the villagers, and when they get thirsty, they turn to apple juice. Clue! :D
the man knows what the proper compensation for witcher's work is, good guy. 8)
ROTFL. Good one!Riverford is an unusual town in many ways, and Will's attitude is part of that.
The dialogs are well written.
*beams* Thank you. When I first started making "Medical Problems," writing dialogue was the one thing I knew how to do, so everything started there.
The plot is nicely thought out, that's some pretty solid detective work.
I'm glad you thought it worked. Riverford is such a tiny place that I was hard put to come up with two creditable red herrings for the mystery.
The Shani video is great. I was laughing real hard. As hard as I could. Without breaking anything. ;D
I'm very glad to hear that! I was strongly urged to change the Shani video, so I'm glad that at least some people are enjoying it.
DelightfulMcCoy said:
DelightfulMcCoy said:
Woo-hooo! I was right :D
About what? What'd I miss? :whatthe:
One of the play-testers really disliked the Shani sex scene and advised very strongly that I make it sweeter and more romantic. One problem with that suggestion is that the cutscene maker doesn't do sweet; the animations for "sweet" just aren't there. But I think it IS romantic -- even if it's a different kind from the hearts-and-flowers sort ;) -- to have a person with whom one has the kind of intimacy that allows one to say, "I've had a hellish week. Help me forget about it by f'ing my brains out, will you?"And then there's the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" influence. In the early 70's, the famous science fiction writer Larry Niven wrote an essay in which he attempted to prove that Superman and Lois Lane could never have sex, because if they did, it would kill her. (For those who are interested, that essay can be found here.) I hadn't seen the essay in a LONG time, but some things stick in a woman's mind, like the idea that Superman's sperm would, er, find their own way out of Lois. :p So of course my always-thinking-too-much brain, when starting to make a Geralt-and-Shani sex scene, thought, "So, what effect would a witcher's special qualities have on sex? A witcher isn't Superman, so we probably don't have the Lois-Lane-riddled-with-holes problem (thank god!!), but a witcher is considerably stronger than a human man, strong enough that any ordinary human -- male or female -- probably feels somewhat fragile to him. So what are the implications for sex? Well, for one thing, Geralt must always be holding back, when he's with a woman. And that sense of leashed power is sexy". (At least, it is to me. ;))

What an excellent mod. It took me 16-20hrs and I did most everything. If I'm going to play I want to see(hopefully) most everything available. I do go slow and check everything out. If the writer/creator took the time and energy to do all the stuff ,they deserve the respect of the players to look at it and enjoy it. TheWitcher is too interesting to rush thru.Kind of surprised at the Shani scene. Not shocked but I thought she was a "nice girl". Shows how much I know.

wizgeorge said:
What an excellent mod.
I'm so glad you liked it!
It took me 16-20hrs and I did most everything. If I'm going to play I want to see(hopefully) most everything available. I do go slow and check everything out. If the writer/creator took the time and energy to do all the stuff ,they deserve the respect of the players to look at it and enjoy it.
Wow. Well, thanks for spending so much of your time in my little adventure. I appreciate your attitude, since I spent a very long time making this adventure! On the other hand, there are a few things -- not many, but a few :D -- where the player isn't really expected to look at everything. I needed a graveyard for Anne to visit, and as long as there was going to be a graveyard, I might as well write something on the tombstones. And so I made up a 5-generation family tree for my villagers, so I'd know who had given birth to whom and who had married whom, five generations back. (And in such a tiny village, I had to marry people off pretty carefully, to make sure that there were still two unrelated families that could marry each other in the present day, so that Maria could have her David and Elizabeth could have her Will. :D) But I don't actually expect that anybody will read every single tombstone; I didn't make them all that interesting. They're there for completeness sake.
Kind of surprised at the Shani scene. Not shocked but I thought she was a "nice girl". Shows how much I know.
Shani IS a nice girl. She's a very nice girl, in fact. She works night and day to care for her patients, at the risk of her own health. And although she's eager to have some personal time with Geralt, she doesn't take that time until her patients are completely well -- well enough to get up and dance. Yes, she wants to have sex with Geralt, but she does in the main game, too. Nice girls DO, you see. ;)

I'm old(63) and a little old fashioned and well behind the times so my definition of nice girl probably differs from the modern standard. I wasn't offended or anything and it was well done. Does add color and excitement to the game tho.

!@!#$!$ When Geralt comes in Carraigh Crypt, my game crashed. Screen became dark and only music is heard. Ctrl Alt Del is only one solution. The game is the best, but the most hanging up that I know. I have Vista HB 64, unfortunatly. Eh.

dDrizzler said:
!@!#$!$ When Geralt comes in Carraigh Crypt, my game crashed. Screen became dark and only music is heard. Ctrl Alt Del is only one solution. The game is the best, but the most hanging up that I know. I have Vista HB 64, unfortunatly. Eh.
Sorry to hear that your game crashed while you were playing; that's always annoying. I'm afraid it's a fact of life for PC games, though. The Enhanced Edition of The Witcher is more stable than the original edition was ... but it still crashes sometimes. Save your game often! The Witcher certainly isn't unusual, though; when I was playing "Awakenings" (the expansion pack for Dragon Age: Origins), my game crashed incredibly frequently -- much more frequently than The Witcher.On the online hint page for "Medical Problems," it says this: "Medical Problems" runs fine, but The Witcher does crash from time to time, so save your game often! Be especially sure to save before you enter a new area or before meditating at the inn -- that seems to be what gives "The Witcher" trouble.I'm afraid that's the best advice I have: Save your game often, especially before entering a new area or before meditating (since the game loads the area you're meditating in when you finish, much like it loads a new area).

Yes, I do it. I solved it starting from earlier save. The game crashes every 25 min. average ( in original adventure too ), so I save it very often. Tnanks for sympathy. The Witcher is evidently incompatible with Vista 64.

lx_5

Forum regular
Help me pls with that situation. I'm stuck in Greta (Inn Guest Room 1) room - I can't find Letter :(.I'm just ended with suspecting Steven (Not guilty). Now i have only one suspect - Greta. i've get a key, and open Greta's room - but cannot find "letter" (on bed, in chest, in cabinet, in locker). (Cannot find Greta at this point also). None (NPC) can tell me nothing new - I cannot get new suspect. What can I do??

LX5 said:
Help me pls with that situation. I'm stuck in Greta (Inn Guest Room 1) room - I can't find Letter :(.
When you walk in the door, immediately turn right. There should be a dresser in front of you. Open that, and the letter will be there. You have to take it and read it for the quest to update.

lx_5

Forum regular
Maybe I'm stupid, but i haven't letter in dresser: some food, torch, knife (they always left there) etc - but no letter, the only one thing, what I can read (in this room) - herb book in chest near bed

LX5 said:
Maybe I'm stupid, but i haven't letter in dresser: some food, torch, knife (they always left there) etc - but no letter, the only one thing, what I can read (in this room) - herb book in chest near bed
Here's what the piece of furniture you need to look in looks like; it's labelled "Drawer."
Here's a picture of where to find the letter once you open the Drawer:
This is the information you get if you hover your cursor over the letter:
This is the letter in Geralt's inventory after he's taken it, while he's reading it:
This is the journal updating and completing after you've read the letter:
Once you've proved Greta to be innocent, go talk to John again and ask him if he's thought of anyone who might have wanted to poison the village; he'll tell you about a third suspect. This conversation isn't available until you prove both Stephen and Greta innocent, though.

lx_5

Forum regular
Corylea said:
Here's what the piece of furniture you need to look in looks like; it's labelled "Drawer."
Yes. I've searched it.But! In Loot window I didn't have letter - there is a "torch" in my case :(At evening I should be at home (where Witcher is) and I send a screenshot to forumBTW: I didn't have such quest items (as at Your pictures)- only a key.PS: Maybe this problem is that i have Russian version of game?

LX5 said:
LX5 said:
Yes. I've searched it.But! In Loot window I didn't have letter - there is a "torch" in my case :(
A torch?! That's very strange. Do you have anything in your Override folder? If you don't have anything in your Override folder, you could try taking the torch and right-clicking on it. It's possible that something in your version is completely replacing the item, but it's also possible that something is just replacing the picture, and it'll act like the letter is supposed to act even if it looks like a torch.
BTW: I didn't have such quest items (as at Your pictures)- only a key.
Ah, yes. I have the "Stuff that makes Geralt's life easier" mod, so the cat's eye, wolf medallion and chest are all items from that mod. If you don't have them, that's fine -- you don't have to have them for "Medical Problems" to work.
PS: Maybe this problem is that i have Russian version of game?
I don't know. My play-testers were a German, a Lithuanian, and an Italian, so I didn't have any Russian testers, but the game should work no matter what version you have. Five thousand people have downloaded "Medical Problems" and no one else has reported this, but I don't know how many Russian Witcher fans know enough English to play an adventure in it. I'd be very surprised if you were the only Russian playing, given how many Russian Witcher fans there are, but I suppose it's possible.The quest items for "Medical Problems" were made using item numbers that weren't used in the main game ... or at least, they weren't used in the main game in the American, German, or Italian versions. I'd be surprised if there were items in the Russian version that weren't present in other versions, but I suppose it's possible.The first thing to try is to check your Override folder, to make sure that you don't have a mod that adds an item that conflicts. If your Override folder is empty, the second thing to try is taking the torch and right-clicking on it. If that doesn't work, let me know, and I will make you a fix. I can make you a script that gives Geralt a new item that runs the script that Greta's letter is supposed to run, which will update and complete the quest. I'd rather not have to do that unless it's necessary, though!

lx_5

Forum regular
I replayed from beginning to this point third time.I have 4 Gb Ram and nVidia 9600Gt 512Mb but:Size of module is too big for game to fit all pictures and textures in memory; and it loose some.
This is "Unwatched Letter" - especially for Spies.Never trust Your eyes.As i said earlier: I'm stupid.PS: Vetala's blood also didn't shown at first left spot in bottom row in Quest items.PPS: So as Letter and Portrait of third suspect.

LX5 said:
This is "Unwatched Letter" - especially for Spies.Never trust Your eyes.
*giggle* Nice role-playing!
LX5 said:
As i said earlier: I'm stupid.
Having trouble finding an invisible letter doesn't make a person stupid! I'm glad you've found it now and can proceed.
LX5 said:
I have 4 Gb Ram and nVidia 9600Gt 512Mb but:Size of module is too big for game to fit all pictures and textures in memory; and it loose some.
Hmm. I only have 4 GB Ram, and all the textures work for me, and they worked for my testers. One thing you could try is using the version of "Medical Problems" where the movies are separate. If the movies are separate, the game doesn't have to load them into memory until they're used, which might ease the problem you're having with losing other textures. You can find the version of "Medical Problems" with the movies separate at http://corylea.com/. (Your saved games should work fine with that version, so you won't have to start over or anything.)
Wow. No wonder you had trouble finding it! Well, I'm glad I posted all those pictures, then, so you knew right where to look.I don't see a torch; I guess that wasn't an issue.
PS: Vetala's blood also didn't shown at first left spot in bottom row in Quest items.PPS: So as Letter and Portrait of third suspect.
Try using the version that has the movies separate and see if that solves your problem with not being able to hold all of the textures in memory. If that doesn't work, I could give you the textures for quest items as separate files, and you could put them in your Override folder; that might bump them up in importance, so the quest item textures wouldn't be the ones that get lost.

Finished the adventure. And I lost. xDAh, hubris and bloodthirst, such a foolish couple...I'll have to scrounge around for an autosave that'll let me finish with the other ending. Honestly, I wasn't expecting something so drastic as a consequence.Very interesting adventure all around. The color-blind villagers made it look very different from the darkness and gloom of the original campaign. A few times I thought I was playing an altogether different game. :p

rangarkash said:
Finished the adventure. And I lost. xD
"Medical Problems" ends after the situation in Riverford has been settled but before beginning the investigation of who or what is making the witchers sick, regardless of whether you end up back at Kaer Morhen or in, um, another place. So you didn't really lose; you'll just start Chapter 2 in a different place.
Ah, hubris and bloodthirst, such a foolish couple...
*smile* Indeed! Excellent summary of the situation. :)
I'll have to scrounge around for an autosave that'll let me finish with the other ending.
It IS worth trying out the other ending, since the decision that leads to the difference is made so late in the game.
Honestly, I wasn't expecting something so drastic as a consequence.
Truly, I wasn't considering the ending you got as "losing." Geralt is temporarily stymied in his goal of getting to Kaer Morhen, but he'll succeed in Chapter 2.In many games, the decisions the player makes don't have that big of an effect on what happens ... and I wanted that not to be true in MP.
Very interesting adventure all around.
*smile* Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
The color-blind villagers made it look very different from the darkness and gloom of the original campaign. A few times I thought I was playing an altogether different game. :p
I'd say they're "color-happy" rather than "color-blind." :) But yes, the main reason for setting MP in a dye-makers village was so that I could use the same old resources but make them look like a different place. I'm glad it worked!

Top Bottom