Do you like V as a protagonist?

• Yes

Votes: 180 80.0%
  • I don't care/They're a player vessel

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 30 13.3%

• Total voters
There are a lot of discussions about the story and LIs going on, but I didn't find a specific thread about V so I figured I'd create one.

I was surprised by how much I liked V as a protagonist, despite the limited impact of the lifepaths. To me they're one of the strongest points of the game, the voice acting is amazing and the range of emotions blew me away, from the arrogant merc façade to the grief and pain shown after The Heist, the introspection and vulnerability of the Doll scene at Clouds, the conflicted relationship with Johnny and so on. My Streetkid V felt really alive, complex and sympathetic throughout the game. By the end, she was the character I cared about the most, and given how well written the other major characters are that's saying a lot.

Do you like V as a protagonist, and why?

I couldn't stand Geralt and I can't stand V either. I also greatly disliked Joe in Last of Us 1.

Still enjoyed the games though.

For me V is trying exceptionally hard to be an edgelord and there is nothing I can do about it. In V's defend this entire game is trying extremely hard to be an edgelord and in my opinion this backfired into an 11 year olds version of mature. Guess the punk in the name was more weighty than I originally thought.

Crudeo

Forum regular
There are a lot of discussions about the story and LIs going on, but I didn't find a specific thread about V so I figured I'd create one.

I was surprised by how much I liked V as a protagonist, despite the limited impact of the lifepaths. To me they're one of the strongest points of the game, the voice acting is amazing and the range of emotions blew me away, from the arrogant merc façade to the grief and pain shown after The Heist, the introspection and vulnerability of the Doll scene at Clouds, the conflicted relationship with Johnny and so on. My Streetkid V felt really alive, complex and sympathetic throughout the game. By the end, she was the character I cared about the most, and given how well written the other major characters are that's saying a lot.

Do you like V as a protagonist, and why?

Because you were lucky and started as street kid and the story is written for the female street kid.

I started as Corpo and all the slang and bravado of a street thug rubbed me the wrong way.

One day you are proud counterintelligence from Arasaka, 6 month later you are "Yo, choomba! What's up?"

It just breaks immersion for me.

The dialogue options feel like:

-yes
-yes (with accent)
-yes (with a skill check)
-blue (tell me more/I know a thing)

When you play as street kid, the game feels amazing. It's easy to slip into the persona and have fun.

Every other life path just feels out of place in comparison.

Well...

CP77 isn't a real RPG. You can't really mold your character the way you want. V doesn't really have that much of a personality either, so I guess I should stick with the "player vessel" option.

Because you were lucky and started as street kid and the story is written for the female street kid.

I started as Corpo and all the slang and bravado of a street thug rubbed me the wrong way.

One day you are proud counterintelligence from Arasaka, 6 month later you are "Yo, choomba! What's up?"

It just breaks immersion for me.

The dialogue options feel like:

-yes
-yes (with accent)
-yes (with a skill check)
-blue (tell me more/I know a thing)

When you play as street kid, the game feels amazing. It's easy to slip into the persona and have fun.

Every other life path just feels out of place in comparison.
Corpo is definitely out of place most of the time. Nomad and street kid is a way more fitting background because everything you say fits both of them pretty nicely. And I do have a feeling that street kid was their main intended background from the beginning.

I couldn't stand Geralt and I can't stand V either. I also greatly disliked Joe in Last of Us 1.

Still enjoyed the games though.

For me V is trying exceptionally hard to be an edgelord and there is nothing I can do about it. In V's defend this entire game is trying extremely hard to be an edgelord and in my opinion this backfired into an 11 year olds version of mature. Guess the punk in the name was more weighty than I originally thought.

Not to ask but what exactly is edgelord in a cyberpunk setting?

Corpo is definitely out of place most of the time. Nomad and street kid is a way more fitting background because everything you say fits both of them pretty nicely. And I do have a feeling that street kid was their main intended background from the beginning.

I don't see anything weird about a disgraced counterintelligence officer working on the streets. Where else are you going to put your skills to use? A spy mimics their surroundings. I liked my elegant killer among the rabble.

Everything that comes out of V's mouth is like a little kid trying to be hard, it's cringey at best and bad writing at worst.

All my opinion of course.

Maybe if we had got to play the montage with Jackie I would of felt more of a connection with V but alas we didn't and I don't.

I though cyberpunk was a future retro dystopian vibe, not tampon guns and sex sounds but no nudity and swearing for no reason other than edgy.

Guest 3847602

Yes, V is the single most positive surprise about this game for me. Both in terms of writing and voice acting (female one is just incredibly well-done). I cared about my character, which is something that very, very rarely happens to me in the game with customizable protagonist.

Overall i liked the character.
Sure it sometimes came across a bit more layed on than nessecary, but i could explain that away with the nature of Cyberpunk 2077 and Night City. Which looks a lot like fake it till you make it and always try to use a certain bravado to defend your position.
Only thing i'd have liked to see a bit more pulled back it the slang/gang undertones, but that's based upon it only partially fitting a Corpo background, when dealing with Corpos in a situation whereas a different appraoch might be better - though the writers had quite a few situations with the corpo dialogue options... so yeah...

Overall liked that the character had actual depth in terms of emotions. Grief, Anger, Joy. And often well written to the situations the charycter gets into (Questioning the finality of the Relic with respective emotions of anger, grief and so on).

Yes, I absolutely love V (I'm playing female V), she's just great.
She's cool and has a sharpened sense of humor. She also feel very human and has her weaknesses and flaws, which is essential for a perfect main character.

Also, the voice actress plays a massive role in that regard.
sometimes I choose a dialogue option not expecting anything special and she makes it epic just by the line(s) she delivers, making me so happy to have chosen it.

Big shout out to her (her name's Cherami Leigh, if I'm not mistaken), she did such a great job (I'm sure the male voice actor is good too but as I said, I'm playing the female version of V right now so that's all I can talk about).

I like female V more than male V, for the voice acting.
But I must say that I like the character in general, his/her dialogue lines and how he/she interacts with other NPCs and Johnny. In some ways, it's quite better than commander Shepard, one of my favourite protagonists in VG.

I prefer my rpg protagonist to be silent, with a full line about what my character is going to say - but I don't mind V, especially FemV - voice acting is really quite strong and there were only a few times where I was disconnected by what V said and how versus how I thought the dialogue was going to go.

I still don't like that V is still not a blank slate, we're playing a variation on an already established character, so there isn't the agency that is there for a more traditional blank slate character.

..but yeah - one of the best voiced / established characters in a game with choice.

I chalked it up to V growing up in Haywood with Jackie before moving up as a Corpo, it's very easy to fall back into slang/accents when you go back to your old environment.
It's still limiting though, I agree. With streetkid everything felt seamless.

Definitely did. All the stuff worth mentioning was already said in OP (V showing multiple facets of his emotions etc.)

I am just gonna add that while I was dubious about the voiced protagonist part (especially after Fallout 4), I was pleasantly suprised in how much depth it actually added to my V. The scenes wouldn't otherwise work with a silent progagonist IMHO.

Really felt attached to my character by the end of the game and emphasised with his struggles.

And this was such a small thing, but I was so happy the character creator (despite how limited it was) allowed me to create an actual and somewhat asian-looking male character. :coolstory: Many games seem to struggle with that even today IMHO.
1091500_20210101054740_1.png

Pan2.png

Also am I the only one here who actually loved Gavin Drea's Male V performance (especially the streetkid), lol?

Cherami is an already seasoned voice actor with TONS of experience under her belt, so her quality is kinda given, but guy seems hella underrated and underappreciated. And especially for this being his first voice acting gig ever... I'd say he did a pretty darn good job. He is My V.

Top Bottom