[TW1] [mod] Play as a Dark Elf

+
[TW1] [mod] Play as a Dark Elf

Play as a Dark Elf
A new mod from Corylea

Get it at The Witcher Nexus or at Corylea.com.

DESCRIPTION

This mod changes Geralt's appearance. Instead of the default white man with white hair, Geralt will become a dark-skinned elven woman with black hair. She will still have the witcher's yellow eyes with vertical pupils, though. None of the dialogues or other game elements has been changed, so the elven woman will be named "Geralt," she'll have a deep voice, and women will throw themselves at her just as frequently as they throw themselves at the white male Geralt. I figure at least two of these things are features, not bugs. :p

Because the default Geralt has white hair (as a result of his witcher mutations, not because of age), he's frequently called "the White Wolf" and is sometimes addressed as "white one" or "whitey." Even though the dark elf does not have white hair, being called "white wolf" happens so frequently that I didn't edit the eight million dialogue lines where this occurs. So you'll sometimes be addressed as "white wolf" or "white one." It's not about race, it's about mutations. ;)

The appearance change happens right away, but certain events will cause Geralt to resume his default appearance for a couple of seconds, until the mod catches the change and forces him to go back to dark elf:

1. When Geralt gets new armor, the game changes his appearance. But 3 - 5 seconds after you get the new armor, you'll get your dark elf looks back again. Luckily, there are only three occasions in the entire game where Geralt gets new armor (the armor that Vesemir gives Geralt during the Prologue, the Excellent Leather Jacket (if you choose to buy it), and the suit of Raven's Armor that you get as the result of a quest in Chapter 5), so your appearance won't be constantly changing.

2. The game doesn't save your appearance, because the game assumes it knows what your appearance is. ;) So when you load a saved game, you'll start with the default appearance, but after 2 - 3 seconds, your dark elf looks will be back again.

3. Bizarrely enough, the game also switches your appearance back to the default when you teleport. Teleporting doesn't happen all that often, so it's not a frequent problem, though it's still kinda strange to come through as someone other than who you started as. Scotty never made that mistake when beaming people up. :) Again, you'll revert to dark elf after just 3 - 5 seconds.

Flash's wonderful Doppler's Essence Mod allows you to play as any character in the game. But most of the characters in the game are white -- and the ones who aren't white are green -- there aren't any dark-skinned characters in the game. So this mod fills in that gap and allows the player to play as a dark-skinned elven woman.

I chose an elven woman instead of a human woman because there was only one human female warrior, and she wears a quiver of arrows on her back, which would make it impossible for Geralt to keep swords there. The elves, on the other hand, had two female models who were warriors without stuff on their backs; I chose the one with pigtails, rather than the one who looked as if the front half of her head had been shaved.

This mod also gives Geralt a scroll that will force the change to dark elf, just in case you ever need to do that, though the main script takes care of all of the circumstances I encountered during testing. The scroll will be in Geralt's quest inventory, since you might need to use it more than once during the game. (Remember that the quest inventory scrolls back and forth.) You can tell it from all the other stuff that accumulates in your quest inventory because the scroll is light blue.

The female elf warrior is considerably shorter than the default Geralt, which means that the game's cutscenes wouldn't have the camera positioned properly unless I did something about that. So I've gone through every single cutscene in the entire game and added a "Scale" key, which will make Geralt the dark elf about the same height as the default Geralt, so that the cutscenes will work properly. That's why the mod includes a lot of cutscene files, in addition to the files that turn Geralt into a dark elf, and that's why the dark elf looks so much taller in the cutscenes than she looks in the game. I've redone all of the cutscenes, but I can't remake the CGI movies or the flashbacks, so the intro and outro movies will still have the default Geralt. They're amazingly cool, though; you should watch them, anyway. ;)

I also changed the in-game camera settings, to move the camera a little closer to Geralt. Because the dark elf is so much shorter than Geralt, you couldn't see her as well unless the camera were moved slightly closer.

When you open the inventory screen, the paper doll of Geralt that you get with the inventory will be that of the dark elf, not the default Geralt. This isn't because of anything I did; the game's just nice that way.

I also recolored some of the NPC's, so that the dark elf wouldn't be the only dark-skinned person in the game. (If you DON'T want to play as a dark elf but DO want to have some people of color in your game, you can put just the NPC folder in your Override folder, and a few of the game's characters will be dark-skinned, but Geralt will have his default appearance.) I mostly chose which NPC's to recolor based on how easy they would be to change (hair is hard, so I chose a lot of characters who were were bald or wearing hats :p ), so there's no underlying story reason why one character rather than another has been changed. I did make sure to do both men and women, both old people and kids, both rich people and poor ones, and both civilians and soldiers/guards, though. I'm no artist, so the recolors are fairly rudimentary, but I like them, anyway. I recolored 17 NPC's in all; below are just a few of them:

You can use this mod when starting a new game or you can use it with a saved game; your Geralt will switch to dark elf no matter how far along in the game you are.

The dark elf uses a new model, one that has all of Geralt's animations. Play-testing was interesting, because the dark elf looks NOTHING like Geralt. But she walks like Geralt, stands like Geralt, holds a sword like Geralt... It was amazing how much she "looked like Geralt" to me, even though everything about her was different except for the animations. Of course, maybe you have to have played TW1 umpteen times for this effect to occur, I don't know. :p

This mod is for use with the main game; it will not work properly with any of the adventures that alter the appearance.2da file; this includes the official adventure "The Price of Neutrality." It will work with the official adventure "Side Effects," though. (If you want a copy of "Medical Problems 1" or "Medical Problems 2" that works with this mod, let me know, and I'll make you one.)

INSTALLATION

Download the folder, unzip it, and put all of the files it contains into your Override folder. If you don't have an Override folder, then you'll need to make one. The Override folder does NOT go into the Witcher folder where your saved games are; it goes in the Witcher folder where the game data is. This is The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data.

Note: As with all of my mods, this is for The Witcher; it's not for The Witcher 2.

If you have questions or comments, you can leave them in the thread for this mod here, at the official Witcher forum or at the Witcher Nexus, or you can send e-mail to medicalproblemsquiz@gmail.com

KNOWN CONFLICTS

This mod is not currently compatible with Flash's Full Combat Rebalance (FCR) mod, but a compatible version is in the works -- check back soon.

This mod will conflict with other mods that use the def_arealoaded.ncs script. These mods include Flash's Difficulty Potions mod, my Genie Wish mod, J_Slash's "Stuff" mod, my Wolf Companion mod, and several others. BUT, there IS a way to get these mods to work together -- see below.

If you use more than one of my mods that use the appearance.2da file, you should use the appearance.2da file from THIS mod; it includes the lines for both the wolf and the genie. Do NOT use the appearance.2da file from the Wolf or Genie mod with this mod; the older mods don't have the line for the dark elf in their appearance.2da file.

WHY I MADE THIS MOD

I have a friend who adores RPG's and plays them obsessively, yet she's never played The Witcher. The other day, I finally asked her why not. She said that she had trouble getting into games where she had to play a white man. Since my friend is an African American woman, Geralt differs from her in both sex and race. I was already a bit dubious about playing The Witcher the first time around, because I wasn't sure about playing a guy, but at least Geralt and I share a race. If the hero differed from me in both sex AND race, I can see where that might make it hard to decide to play the game. But The Witcher is a wonderful game; I want EVERYBODY to be able to play The Witcher.

There are mods that let you play The Witcher as a woman, but there are no mods that I know of that let you play as a person of color, because there are no people of color in the entire game. Well, unless you count green people. :p I don't know if the pervasive whiteness of The Witcher's world is due to Mr. Sapkowski, or if it's something CDPR decided. Perhaps they thought an all-white world was necessary for verisimilitude, since there weren't a lot of people of color in Poland in the thirteenth century. But since there also weren't any elves, dwarves, gnomes, or strigas :p, I feel comfortable adding people of color to the game. The lack of people of color has bothered me in the past ... and I'm white. What must it be like for people of color, themselves? So I made this mod.

(Oh, and unless you've lived in America as a black woman for the past 40 years, don't bother to tell me that my friend is being silly. Because if you HAVEN'T lived in America as a black woman for the past 40 years, you have no idea what you're talking about. ) )

----> Thanks again to J_Slash, for the def_arealoaded.ncs script

Bringing ethnic diversity to the world of TW, I like it. I am going to have to run through Vizima and try this out tomorrow. If nothing else, I should get a few laughs out of the conversations...super deep voiced she-elf ftw?

I have to ask, do you create Witcher mods in your sleep or something? You just recovered from a serious cold, you couldn't even post on the forums, and you have already finished up another mod?

Someone get this women a TW2 toolkit! I want to see what you can do with a more advanced engine :).

Edit: I want to add that I don't believe the lack of colored people in the world of TW has anything to do with discrimination from either CDPR or Sapkowski. The fact is, the Northen realms are based on medieval Europe - Not many colored people around....and what few there were....well, yeah.

I also want to bring to your attention the fact that Azar Javed was not white, but an Arab. The clothes (look at the boots :p), the skin color, the name - all of is Arabic :).

What a marvellous project, Corylea! As usual, your ambition, execution, and presentation serve as shining examples in The Witcher modding community. I love the female elf model, and I also love the fact that you made other NPC's be of colour, as well - diversity is important to me, as it should be to anyone giving the least bit of thought and care to societal issues - and as I'm still planning another jaunt through TW1 (with the new version of FCR installed), as a warm-up for TW2EE, I might as well play it as a woman, for once.

Thank you for sharing the mod with us!

I am having a word fail day today, so I'm just gonna agree with the posters before me. Thank you for sharing yet another marvelous mod with us.

I was expecting a typical D&D Drow-like dark elf, with black-blue skin and white hair, but this is even better!

I don't know how the text is organized or structured in-game, but maybe there is a method for automatically replacing text strings? Or maybe it can be generated? That would simplify the task of replacing every "white one" or "white wolf" for something like uh... "black panther"? Also her name could change, except for the in-game voices of course.

If the text lines are inside some kind of binary file, and you know the format, maybe one of us can make a C program to edit those lines for you.

Yes I also thought about Drizzt and drow when reading the title of this thread LOL (nerd )

I like this idea, Corylea! It's fantastic :) And you're so right, The Witcher is meant to be played by anyone. I do really hope your friend will enjoy it. Think: one more potential Witcher addicted fan... wheee!

Never had a problem in playing games with character of a different sex\race. In both Baldur's Gate series, NWN, MAss Effect and DAO, I've played both male and female. Even though I must admit that I played a black character only one (and she was truly sexy, yeah :p).
I understand what your friend's issue is, you should love playing the character you create in a game, since it's your avatar LOL

About race variation in the game: probably it's right, there should be. Even if I've always thought to The Witcher world as one of closest to reality fantasy I know and in the Middle Age in Europe, it was quite uncommon to find a black person (and if you could, it would be probably a slave). Well, screw the historical blabbing :D

Don't you even find that black Toruviel-model very sexy?

Nice work !

This makes the description of the game may be some thing like that:

a tough mutated homosexual black she elf fighter that is very skilled in using swords, magical signs and preparing potions who gets her living by slaying monsters that threaten humans has decided to go on a journey to revenge from a gang that killed one of her fellows during attacking her group headquarter to steal magic and mutation scripts :p :p :p

Corylea said:
(Oh, and unless you've lived in America as a black woman for the past 40 years, don't bother to tell me that my friend is being silly. Because if you HAVEN'T lived in America as a black woman for the past 40 years, you have no idea what you're talking about. ) )

The past 40 years means the era of the seventies and what comes after !
Were colored races still have problems by that era in America ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Corylea said:
I also want to bring to your attention the fact that Azar Javed was not white, but an Arab. The clothes (look at the boots :p), the skin color, the name - all of is Arabic :).

In fact it is not an Arabic name since it seems completely un familiar to me .. I think it's a Persian

WitcherShadon said:
In fact it is not an Arabic name since it seems completely un familiar to me .. I think it's a Persian

Huh, you are absolutely right! Azar Javed is a Persian name, whose meaning fits the character perfectly:

Azar = Fire - his element of choice.
Javed = Eternal - being a mage, he lives for centuries.

CDPR did their research well.

secondchildren said:
Yes I also thought about Drizzt and drow when reading the title of this thread LOL (nerd )

Yeah, I guess that's nerdy... or is it??

secondchildren said:
Never had a problem in playing games with character of a different sex\race. In both Baldur's Gate series, NWN, MAss Effect and DAO, I've played both male and female. Even though I must admit that I played a black character only one (and she was truly sexy, yeah :p).
I understand what your friend's issue is, you should love playing the character you create in a game, since it's your avatar LOL

Yeah, same here. I also don't have a problem reading novels, short stories or graphic novels/comic books where the main characters have barely anything in common with me. After all, none of us is a monster killing mutant, probably most of us don't have milk-white hair and definitely not glowing yellow eyes. As my wife pointed out, Geralt is after all a reject, he isn't the typical "white man" in power.

secondchildren said:
About race variation in the game: probably it's right, there should be. Even if I've always thought to The Witcher world as one of closest to reality fantasy I know and in the Middle Age in Europe, it was quite uncommon to find a black person (and if you could, it would be probably a slave). Well, screw the historical blabbing :D

I normally think that since this is the story of Geralt of Rivia, no other character would make sense. It is tailored for him. A different game could let us create our own witcher (which would actually be pretty awesome), but this is Geralt's game.

However, and this is the key point here, as Corylea said unless we have lived the past 40 years as a black woman in the US, we don't really KNOW what we're talking about. Every little thing adds up, and I can understand her not wanting to play as an archetype of what she certainly doesn't stand for. Maybe by playing the game she will realize that Geralt is not your typical WASP, but actually identifies with the oppressed (him being one of them often).

How delicious!!

Cory you have outdone yourself once again!

The extra care, thought, and work to create a mod allowing people who wouldn't ordinarily consider playing a fixed male character let alone a human as well is simply wonderful.

I need a tan..... ;)

Dragon said:
Bringing ethnic diversity to the world of TW, I like it.
*smile* I'm glad!

Dragon said:
I have to ask, do you create Witcher mods in your sleep or something? You just recovered from a serious cold, you couldn't even post on the forums, and you have already finished up another mod?
Um, sort of. When an idea takes hold of me, I have trouble sleeping and tend to work all night. Then once I finish a mod, I'm not good for anything for a couple of days afterwards.

Dragon said:
Someone get this women a TW2 toolkit! I want to see what you can do with a more advanced engine.
I hope they do release a TW2 toolkit, because there are a lot of people who want one, but I won't be modding TW2. Sorry.

Dragon said:
I want to add that I don't believe the lack of colored people in the world of TW has anything to do with discrimination from either CDPR or Sapkowski. The fact is, the Northen realms are based on medieval Europe - Not many colored people around....
Oh, I know. I SAID, "Perhaps they thought an all-white world was necessary for verisimilitude, since there weren't a lot of people of color in Poland in the thirteenth century." But since dark-skinned humans are a lot more probable than elves, dwarves, drowners, or echinopsae, verisimilitude doesn't seem to have a controlling interest. :D

Dragon said:
I know that Azar Javed is an Arab; it's just that I think of Middle-Eastern peoples as white. And it's good that I think of him as white, because if the ONLY person of color in the game were one of the major villains ... that would be very bad. But yeah, who did I pick to be the genie in my Genie Wish Mod, after all. Can't resist those curly-toed shoes. :p

Dragon said:
What a marvellous project, Corylea! As usual, your ambition, execution, and presentation serve as shining examples in The Witcher modding community.
Oh, thank you so much! I'll live on this line all day. ;)

Dragon said:
diversity is important to me, as it should be to anyone giving the least bit of thought and care to societal issues
When I was a professor, I used to teach a class called The Psychology of Stereotyping and Prejudice. It's always been an important issue to me, too.

Dragon said:
as I'm still planning another jaunt through TW1 (with the new version of FCR installed), as a warm-up for TW2EE, I might as well play it as a woman, for once.
I haven't tested it with FCR, so I don't know whether or not it works with that. Do you know if FCR alters any of the models?

Dragon said:
I am having a word fail day today, so I'm just gonna agree with the posters before me. Thank you for sharing yet another marvelous mod with us.
Thank YOU, for taking the time to comment. I always love hearing that people have noticed my work.

Dragon said:
I don't know how the text is organized or structured in-game, but maybe there is a method for automatically replacing text strings? Or maybe it can be generated? That would simplify the task of replacing every "white one" or "white wolf" for something like uh... "black panther"? Also her name could change, except for the in-game voices of course.

If the text lines are inside some kind of binary file, and you know the format, maybe one of us can make a C program to edit those lines for you.
It's sweet of you to suggest that you might help, but I think it's impractical. Given that the voices will be saying "white wolf," changing the text doesn't make that much difference. And I wouldn't change the name even if I could -- the main character IS Geralt ... we just have a female elven Geralt for a change. ;)

(The forum's automatic software won't allow me to reply to everyone at once, so more replies in the next message.)

(Sorry for the double post, but the forum software wouldn't allow me to reply to everyone in a single post.)

Silverio13 said:
Nice work, thanks for this, Corylea
Thanks for your comment!

Silverio13 said:
Very cool indeed and thanks for the head's up on Doppler's work too.
There's a sticky at the top of the Modding sub-forum with a list of all the mods for TW1 and another sticky with a list of all the adventures; if you didn't know about the Doppler's Essence mod, you should definitely check those out.

Silverio13 said:
Well, I was trying to think of a graceful way of saying "dark-skinned," and it occurred to me that "dark elf" was already a fantasy concept. You're right that this dark elf isn't exactly like the ones in Bioware's universe, but then, this is the Witcher universe, so that's okay. ;)

Silverio13 said:
And you're so right, The Witcher is meant to be played by anyone.
*smile* I thought YOU would agree with me there, hon. *hug*

Silverio13 said:
I do really hope your friend will enjoy it. Think: one more potential Witcher addicted fan... wheee!
My friend gets really INTO some games and has written a lot of fan fiction for them. I'd love to see what she could do with The Witcher. So you see, I'm being entirely selfish here. :p

Silverio13 said:
Don't you even find that black Toruviel-model very sexy?
Yes, I do! That was an unintended side effect. I was just trying to make a character that an African-American woman would find congenial, and she turned out to be sexy, as well. I think it's partly the contrast between the skin and the eyes, but I think it's partly that the dark elf is using Geralt's animations. So she stands like Geralt and looks at us like Geralt, and Geralt is sexy, no matter which model you use for him. ;)

Silverio13 said:
How delicious!!
The dark elf does look good enough to eat, yes. :p

Silverio13 said:
The extra care, thought, and work to create a mod allowing people who wouldn't ordinarily consider playing a fixed male character let alone a human as well is simply wonderful.
Thank you, hon; I appreciate your comment.

Silverio13 said:
I need a tan..... ;)
Feel free to use this virtual one ... but avoid them in real life; skin cancer is NOT good for you. :)

Corylea said:
I know that Azar Javed is an Arab; it's just that I think of Middle-Eastern peoples as white. And it's good that I think of him as white, because if the ONLY person of color in the game were one of the major villains ... that would be very bad.

You are actually right. So called "white people" is an umbrella term for the native inhabitants of Europe, Northern Africa, and part of the Middle-East, and their descendants. This includes indo-european populations from the Middle-East like the Persians (who are not Semites). So yeah, Azar Javed, if Persian, is a "white person", but not an Arab. It would also look bad if the main villain is an "Arab" I think, after all that has transpired in the last 10 years or so.

Quite a mess huh? In the end it doesn't matter. There are no biological races in the human species, just adaptations. All human "races" are cultural inventions to promote differences, hate and separation.

Corylea said:
I haven't tested it with FCR, so I don't know whether or not it works with that. Do you know if FCR alters any of the models?
This calls for some compatibility-testing! I'll return shortly with results and inevitably some questions.

(Forums are officially completely borked - I tried to edit my post, and it wouldn't let me submit it, forcing me to write a new one.)

UPDATE: Alright, without any tweaking done, starting a game with both FCR (with Scabbard mod) and Dark Elf Mod together, makes for an invisible Geralt. Sort of expected, I must admit. While this adds an interesting element to the game, it's naturally not a certifiably desired behaviour. Bear with me, as the little knowledge I have of the Aurora toolset (and modding within) is from the old NWN days; meaning years and years ago.

I basically looked for duplicates of the files supplied by your mod, in FCR/Scabbard, and the only one that turned up was, unsurprisingly, the appearances.2da file. I found three lines in your version of the file, that I did not locate in FCR's version, but simply adding them to FCR, yielded no results. My suspicion is that the ID of each line must match whatever you have specified elsewhere (within one of the scripts, I suppose?). Like I said, I don't have too much knowledge with this, but if you could tell me which lines are added/changed for your Dark Elf Mod, I might be able to tweak it for compatibility; unless you have altered hundreds of lines, of course, in which case... pain, so much pain.

This might all be moot, if you think I'm completely lost in my search and speaking nonsense, or if you estimate there is simply way too much stuff that needs to be changed, but I'm curious now on how to make the mods compatible, and I'm willing to work for it. Also, withdrawal is setting in; waiting for TW2EE so that I may continue to work on CEO. Anyway, you're the expert, so I'll await your response.

Kindo said:
(Forums are officially completely borked
Yep, they are. What fun.

I basically looked for duplicates of the files supplied by your mod, in FCR/Scabbard, and the only one that turned up was, unsurprisingly, the appearances.2da file. I found three lines in your version of the file, that I did not locate in FCR's version, but simply adding them to FCR, yielded no results. My suspicion is that the ID of each line must match whatever you have specified elsewhere (within one of the scripts, I suppose?).
Quite right. Your memory of Aurora modding is serving you well. :D

I'm curious now on how to make the mods compatible, and I'm willing to work for it. Also, withdrawal is setting in; waiting for TW2EE so that I may continue to work on CEO. Anyway, you're the expert, so I'll await your response.
Since I know where everything is, it would be way easier for me to make an FCR-compatible version. How about if you load the appearance.2da from FCR somewhere, post the link, and I'll grab it and make a new version?

I'm asking you for the FCR's appearance.2DA because Flash releases his mods in installer versions, so I can't just open the zip and get the file I want; I have to install the damned thing. Since I don't actually want FCR (nothing against it -- it's a great achievement -- I just like TW1's combat the way it is), I'd rather not have to install the whole damned thing, just to get one 600-KB file.

Thanks for the report, Kindo!

Corylea said:
Since I know where everything is, it would be way easier for me to make an FCR-compatible version. How about if you load the appearance.2da from FCR somewhere, post the link, and I'll grab it and make a new version?
I was hoping to simply probe you for some basic information, and to save you from doing the work, I'd fiddle with it myself; but as long as it's not too much of a hassle for you, I guess it's alright.

I've uploaded the file onto my Walagata account. Link

It's the Scabbard Mod-compatible version of it, though, and there's a second file like it in the Scabbards folder, but they seem to be identical and simply copies of each other (made when I installed said compatible version). Anyway, have a look-see, and please, if it feels like too much work for something so particular, don't hesitate to resign!

Top Bottom