Maybe it's all Red Engine's fault?

+
After Witcher 3 came out CDPR lost a massive chunk of their employees due to crunch and low pay and replaced them with a mostly new team of amateurs. The quality between Witcher 3 & Cyberpunk is different because they have different people working on the game and a far more unrealistic scope than Witcher 3.

It's not a company that makes a good game, it's the people who work on it and if you have different people working on a game you can expect a different outcome. The same has happened with Bioware. well known for mass effect 1 & 2 and Dragon Age Origins. Then their later games were not as well received with many people now calling bioware garbage. This is what happens when you lose your main team.

So CDPR no longer have the quality and Witcher 3 is not a reflection on Cyberpunk?

pretty sure the issue is just harware limitations
night city is massive and some places have huge crowds

complex npc ai would never work on that scale on console hardware
they had to cut corners where they could

i think redengine is pretty impressive
try spawning that many npcs on bethesta´s creation engine on a moderatly sized map, turn on their ai packages and see what happens.

It was designed for PS4 and if you fuck up the game because you're trying to run too many things at once, it's your failure as a programmer to not turn off the issues that prevent it from running properly.

The real issue is they claimed they had 800 people working 8 years on the when they had 500 people working 4 years.

They had all the Cyberpunk "staff" working on Witcher 3 until Blood and Wine.

So CDPR no longer have the quality and Witcher 3 is not a reflection on Cyberpunk?

Maybe.

If you have a group of artists who create a mural, and then those artists leave and you put together another group to make a new mural - you're probably going to get a very different mural.

Game companies used to be much more rigid in their culture and groups between games, these days unless you're a large company putting out clones of your games year after year - you're probably going to see massive changes between games due to staff turnover.

It's why there was such a very clear progression of excellence between The Witcher games - and such a stark vibe and feeling between The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk.

There is supposedly another game coming out from CD Projekt this year or next I think? That outta be interesting.

Maybe.

If you have a group of artists who create a mural, and then those artists leave and you put together another group to make a new mural - you're probably going to get a very different mural.

Game companies used to be much more rigid in their culture and groups between games, these days unless you're a large company putting out clones of your games year after year - you're probably going to see massive changes between games due to staff turnover.

It's why there was such a very clear progression of excellence between The Witcher games - and such a stark vibe and feeling between The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk.

There is supposedly another game coming out from CD Projekt this year or next I think? That outta be interesting.

All I know choomba is Cyberpunk took my world by storm, if I compare it to my last 25years of gaming Cyberpunk takes the lead by a long shot. That's the perspective of a hardcore gamer that didn't have any expectations.

*shrugs*

All I know choomba is Cyberpunk took my world by storm, if I compare it to my last 25years of gaming Cyberpunk takes the lead by a long shot. That's the perspective of a hardcore gamer that didn't have any expectations.

*shrugs*

For sure - I freaking love it and can't get enough it - I've got my sads about it not living up to what it could have been and some other quirks (like any game).

I'm still going to go right ahead and pre-order whatever their next projekt is - more than satisfied with what I was expecting and am cautiously optimistic about what we'll see in Night City going forward.

For sure - I freaking love it and can't get enough it - I've got my sads about it not living up to what it could have been and some other quirks (like any game).

I'm still going to go right ahead and pre-order whatever their next projekt is - more than satisfied with what I was expecting and am cautiously optimistic about what we'll see in Night City going forward.

I'm having a good fulltime and the community is the only aspect tainting it ATM. To stay away form this place is peace of mind

*still lurks however*

RED ENGINE worked really well in Witcher 3. Some physics & graphics could've been better but it never bothered me.
However in Cyberpunk, RED ENGINE makes Bethesda's Creation Engine look like a masterpiece. Everything from Physics, NPCs & optimization is broken here & it’s broken way beyond what Witcher 3 was at launch.
Cyberpunk doesn't have no water effects at all? Are they serious? I remember impressive water effects in Witcher 3 & even Aard sign affecting water to create so much immersion.

Blaming an Engine? I mean sure you could do that. You could Blame the Developer Crew as well. You could blame yourself (figuratively) the consumer. Its perspective but either way you have to look at all angles. You cant just go "Lack of or No A.I.". You have to question and look into it. Why is the A.I. so minimalistic outside of Main Story and Main Secondary Missions? City Life A.I. with cars and pedestrians is basic, yes. But thats seen on a few levels.

Youre looking at a game based on 50+ years into the future in LA, Cali. Very dense and trashed up city. Population is dense, but the people have become more dumb. Ever seen the movie Idiocracy? The civilians are very much like in that movie. Whether intended or by bad design, it fits. As society and technology grows, mans intelligence fades closer to the abyss. Not many games unless its a City Builder/Sims game where the A.I. is almost non-existent, has as much NPC's active all at once. Like you guys mentioned taking the A.I. of the creation engine and applying that to more than a dozen on screen NPC's, would but utter chaos and invoke crashes. Vanilla Skyrim (all editions) & Fallouts 3-76 cant handle more than 12-15 NPC's within the Players active cell/ugrid(5) range at a stable rate. They are intelligent to a point, but so few in comparison. Now imagine if All those NPC's in CP77 had that A.I.; youd probably be taking a straight bullet to the head every 2 minutes just trying to get out of your apartment in NC.

The issue would reside more towards Combat, though it wasnt bare bones.
Combat A.I. could use a tune up for sure. I beat the game (PC) about 35 minutes ago and the credits are still rolling. Got the Secret Ending. Anyways to the point. I played on Very Hard difficulty and I played 98% stealth and attempted to go the whole way without killing anyone, so that netted me nearly 200hours of play time with every single main & side mission. The enemies were easy for me to deal with, until the final mission where the difficulty truly showed. I had all of Johnny's gear, upgraded to full legendary and with max slots on each piece and his gun & car. I had a rough time. I would say the enemy A.I. at that point was on par with Deus Ex Human Revolution.

People always forget AI runs on the CPU and the PS4/Xbone contained Low end, low power Jaguar cores that were old by the time they were put in the Last gen consoles...
People who are far from development don't know that there are ways to use GPUs for calculations not related to graphics in case if CPU power is not enough. That is, assuming studio has proper programmers to do this.

People who are far from development don't know that there are ways to use GPUs for calculations not related to graphics in case if CPU power is not enough.

Dead serious Cyberpunk is so heavy on the Jaguar that the lag in game actually affects the PS menu.
Whatever is going on with the streaming of the open world and activation of AI it is bottlenecking (werd) last gen console cpu's.

What's funny is approaching stand still NPCs, upon save/reload they function.. But it doesn't take long before the lipsync stops and other NPCs start to go still. Dosent always happen however.

I know this guy

No. I know that W3 was buggy like hell at release, but the substance was better. RDR2, too. There are tons of videos on YT of (funny) glitches after release. But after a few weeks it was okay.

Last edited:
Nah, it's not engine fault - It's people's fault as usual - I want this, i want that, and that too...
Been having same problem in my previous job - my not very brightest manager always wanted things they simply couldn't been done - like "i want 5 monitors" - "but boss we only have 4 all together" "i don't care, i want 5"....

Mentos: "No. I know that W3 was buggy like hell at release, but the substance was better. RDR2, too. There are tons of videos on YT of (funny) glitches after release. But after a few weeks it was okay."

Dont fret choomba, I started playing at 6am today, it 9.30pm here east coast Australia and I'm sitting in the black Caliburn crafting Gash grenades, breaking them down and taking a right round trip to every shop.. Currently only have pant and boots legendary craft specs..

Long story short; only the mission, always the mission. As a former PC enthusiasts - it has to be a fucking good bug to keep me out, I'm an ocean of workarounds.

Cyberpunk has been very kind to me and I love this place. Here I sit in my Caliburn, with a mission of my own and high spirits.

Highly looking forward to our freebies from CDPR and where they take the game.

FkzAz

Forum regular
pretty sure the issue is just harware limitations
night city is massive and some places have huge crowds

complex npc ai would never work on that scale on console hardware
they had to cut corners where they could

i think redengine is pretty impressive
try spawning that many npcs on bethesta´s creation engine on a moderatly sized map, turn on their ai packages and see what happens.

Thats Bshit.

Paris, Ubisoft. To this date this is the game that boosted the largest number of npc AI and open buildings in a video game by far.

Unity ran on last Gen consoles, and considering that this game launched like 6 years ago, is a testament of how much of a failure this red engine is.

Sure it had bugs and it was what it was for Ubisoft at that time. But the fact is, THERE WAS NPCS AND A LIVING CITY.

This game is dead, there is no traffic and no Npcs on the street. I stopped playing (before the heist mission with 19hours roaming) because this is utter bshit. This is a code failure.

The biggest problem atm with this engine is that it has no cycle. The game doesn't know what time is. This was proved by various players noticing car crashed that wold stay forever there in the game. The game doesnt know how to despawn stuff.

I laugh every time someone compares ubisoft engine to to this games engine.

Thats Bshit.

Paris, Ubisoft. To this date this is the game that boosted the largest number of npc AI and open buildings in a video game by far.

Unity ran on last Gen consoles, and considering that this game launched like 6 years ago, is a testament of how much of a failure this red engine is.

Sure it had bugs and it was what it was for Ubisoft at that time. But the fact is, THERE WAS NPCS AND A LIVING CITY.

This game is dead, there is no traffic and no Npcs on the street. I stopped playing (before the heist mission with 19hours roaming) because this is utter bshit. This is a code failure.

The biggest problem atm with this engine is that it has no cycle. The game doesn't know what time is. This was proved by various players noticing car crashed that wold stay forever there in the game. The game doesnt know how to despawn stuff.

I laugh every time someone compares ubisoft engine to to this games engine.
Some great bait for your first post, you are wrong though.

FkzAz

Forum regular
Some great bait for your first post, you are wrong though.

Maybe it's my first post here.

But maybe I was also there when The Witcher 1 launched with cdpr.

Maybe all my profile pics in video-game stuff is from Geralt.

But maybe you had no arguments and wanted to discretid me this way.

And, Maybe this is why it hurts to see how much of a failure Cp2077 is atm.

You know, maybe.

Top Bottom