The lack of 3rd person view

+
...What gets me is that most cutscenes never even try to pull you out of V's body to offer any sort of cinematography or a chance to see our character's facial expression...

With all the respect, this is exactly what I love about it. I do not need to „pull out of the body“ or make it cinematic... unless its is like Dark Messiah cutscenes

Yes, now I'm going to repeat myself. Well, many gave it a shot and played the game, and now they're criticizing. Welcome to "the lack of 3rd person view" and similar topics. I think that's the whole story in a nutshell. Before you react, remember that you came out of your own volition to this topic to ask this particular question.

I can understand that, I'm not keen on multiplayer games in general but I gave both ESO and FO76 a chance. ESO I can not stick with as it's not like a real TES (like Bethesda is) FO76 I just play Solo so it's not so bad with only say 10 or more on the Map, never seen a full map of 24 to my knowledge?

But in this instance I'm more referring to those who basically called melee in 1PP games shit (their word not mine) and other not quite so bad words totally rubbishing of what 1PP is compared to 3PP. I can not play 3PP simple as that apart from the very occasional game and I'm quite honest in my reasons of why I can not. Discussion on the subject is great and I liked your 'story' BTW, but I will stick to the "why buy it" of those who totally rubbish 1PP and as said above call it 'shit'???

Be honest why would you buy a game which is known to be primarily 1PP when you (I mean they) state here how bad they find 1PP to play with all the time. Giving it a go when they openly say things that suggest they hate it makes no sense. It would be like me buying a 3PP game where they all have those giants weapons and special combo moves to see how it goes. I know how it would go, I'd stop after 10 seconds due to laughing so much. (Joke) But I would stop after the first fight.

Cheers.

But in this instance I'm more referring to those who basically called melee in 1PP games shit (their word not mine) and other not quite so bad words totally rubbishing of what 1PP is compared to 3PP. I can not play 3PP simple as that apart from the very occasional game and I'm quite honest in my reasons of why I can not. Discussion on the subject is great and I liked your 'story' BTW, but I will stick to the "why buy it" of those who totally rubbish 1PP and as said above call it 'shit'???
Good point. Indeed the ones, who really hate 1st person to the core, shouldn't waste their time playing it, only to tear it apart afterwards. It is something I deeply disapprove.
I'm not a fan myself, but I can play 1st person games if the game itself is enjoyable, but only to a limit if it's a +10 hour game.
I've played Cyberpunk 2077's main story along with some of the more interesting sidestories and I enjoyed it. But I didn't bother too much doing all the gigs etc. I probably would have done much more in game if, you know what, would have been optional.

I actually have no idea what you are even talking about, implying that animators who are hired to do ANIMATING are going first person only to cut time and not because they are rushed is absolutely insinuating that they are lazy, by the way the claims that first person is not animated is not even true, many "cutscenes" in first person are animated.

And I'm not forgetting that they will be doing multiplayer, you're assumption is clearly based on false premises. They most likely didn't finish animations for shadows and body not because they think people will never go to third person, rather they didn't have time to complete them because the game got RUSHED.

It's actually unbelievable to me that anyone is making criticisms of the first person such as the animation and shadows as if they are intended, they aren't, they are simply not finished.

I was stating the animators weren't being lazy. But were in fact being rushed.

The way I read the original commenter we both were referring to in our posts. Was that they were stating the benefits in terms of project time by keeping it first person. And not that they picked first person to be 'lazy' in animations, but because they had deadlines that had to be met.

Basically, I'm just giving the benefit of doubt that they aren't being jerk-ish.

Good point. Indeed the ones, who really hate 1st person to the core, shouldn't waste their time playing it, only to tear it apart afterwards. It is something I deeply disapprove.
I'm not a fan myself, but I can play 1st person games if the game itself is enjoyable, but only to a limit if it's a +10 hour game.
I've played Cyberpunk 2077's main story along with some of the more interesting sidestories and I enjoyed it. But I didn't bother too much doing all the gigs etc. I probably would have done much more in game if, you know what, would have been optional.

Fully understood and I've never disagreed with the idea of having both. I think both of us has referred to Bethesda does it on all their games. IF 3PP is good enough in say Skyrim for full on 3PP players I can not say but it's there.

Heck I can not play 3PP due to over compensating movements due to the odd camera positions but TBH I can do that in 1PP if I respond too quickly.

Best example was in Skyrim up on the Island to find the other Dragon Slayer, in the caves/mine I ran into an NPC with an Ebony Bow. Spun away to go back out the rock doorway I'd come though. Instead I ran into the wall next to the doorway, arrow in the back of the head, not the knee.:rolleyes:

I really like the immersive first person a lot. I feel Cyberpunk handles it very well for the most part. That said, given the emphasis on looks and crafting, there is a CLEAR disconnect. I feel CDPR missed the opportunity of taking some expected wind out of the sails of the crowd that loves nothing more than to stare at their own scantily clad characters ;)

As I've previously suggested, adding a lot more reflective surfaces would mitigate the issue. Mirrors should automatically reflect your image and be *much* more widespread. Targeted 3D ads with the player image should pop up here and there (ie. dressed in some pimp Avanti outfit). There's a Nexus mod that achieve this to some degree already.

- they burned themselves out of customers that like 3rd person games because they just won't buy the game
- the TIME they took to bob the camera up and down in First-Person when they could have made 3rd person animations was not worth LOOSING the 3rd person customers

- they burned themselves out of customers that like 3rd person games because they just won't buy the game
- the TIME they took to bob the camera up and down in First-Person when they could have made 3rd person animations was not worth LOOSING the 3rd person customers

I don't know, 13 Million copies (with the games returned accounted for, if that was true) is not a bad number, around half of what Witcher 3 finally achieved over time though. But Fallout 4 did not do that much better than CP2077 and was hailed as the best Fallout ever sales wise. That figure for CP2077 was some weeks ago and it's still selling, the price has not dropped dramatically like say FO76 did quite quickly.

I've made a number of comparisons between Bethesda and CDPR here because Beth for 20 years has been my number one Dev. So I can see comparisons in certain topics I've seen over 20+ years, suggest all you want they 'lost' players with CP2077 and did it all to themselves, they would have got exactly what they expected by changing?

FO76 lost 10+ Million potential sales by changing in comparison. Beth for sure and I believe CDPR as well knew their games would not sell as well due to its differences. You change what the players have become used to seeing they know it will cause a loss of sales. Yet FO76 it's still going with less than 3 Million sales (hardly covered the costs) and to some degree is better now? CP2077 could well do the same, improve on the games issues, maybe consider 3PP like Beth backed down and added real NPC's into FO76.

But with 13 Million so close to release, it's still number 4 in Steam's top 100 players plus if you check by top sellers it's number two at Steam as well. That shows the game is still alive and kicking despite (maybe) some 3PP players not buying the game and as it's a totally new franchise for them, the sales with a totally new game type with only 1PP is actually pretty damn good.

Mirrors should automatically reflect
Well, the Mirrors are suppose to be 'techy'. Plus, I'm pretty sure they can't have reflective surfaces automatically reflect. Because you're a headless demon-spawn. And only load your head in when you 'look' at the reflective surface. Or get in a vehicle.

Additionally, in both instances, your character is 'frozen' in position. Thus mitigating the body morphing that we've seen from people recording what you look like if you break out of 1st person and run around/aim/crouch/etc.

AAALLLSO, I repeatedly lose my hat, hair, and glasses when looking in mirrors. The only thing I see is my bald(ed) character.

Well, the Mirrors are suppose to be 'techy'. Plus, I'm pretty sure they can't have reflective surfaces automatically reflect. Because you're a headless demon-spawn.
If you've played Resident Evil 3 remake, then you've noticed that the first 2-5 minutes are played in first person. During that time Jill (protagonist of RE3) goes to the bathroom at her appartment to look in a mirror. Now the 1st person model of Jill is probably also headless (or even without a torso, I don't now for sure), so if the developers just would have used a reflecting plane, to serve as a mirror, then you would indeed see a headless 1st person Jill.
During my creation of the Jill In Black mod at nexusmods, I've noticed they've used a complete mirrored 3rd person model of Jill to stand in while she's looking at the mirror, and that the mirror itself is actually a window to a hidden area that mimics the surroundings of said mirror. To get away with that they probably have to "mirror" everything within visible range of said mirror into that hidden area.
Now why go through all that trouble just to make it possible for a headless model to take a look in a mirror, instead of just using a complete model? The only explicable reason I can think of is to prevent possible risk of clipping from the head with the ingame camera when using a complete model.

It's possible that they've used a similar approach in Cyberpunk 2077 and that they've restricted the viewing to the mirror into a strict action, just to limit the surroundings that have to be "mirrored" into a hidden area behind said mirror.

But to use some sort of futuristic mirror that shuts down behind a magnetic field to back it up, is unconvincing to me. What added value has such an expensive sci-fi mirror opposed to an ordinary mirror, like we are used to? There are icons present at the sci-fi mirrors, like an envelope for example (for checking your mail?), that indicates those mirrors can also be used as a (touch)screen. But again, what added value has it towards people who have augmented reality into their eye implants for such tasks?

Also several 1st person games, older than 10 years (Doom 3 (2004), Comdemned 2: Bloodshot (2009),...), doesn't seem to have any issues with the presence just plain classic mirrors. Okaaaayy, those aren't huge openworld games, but still....
AAALLLSO, I repeatedly lose my hat, hair, and glasses when looking in mirrors. The only thing I see is my bald(ed) character.
Continuing on my explanation above, this may be due to glitches into the communication between the parameters of your player and the mirrored stand-in model.
In the end I don't know that for sure. I now some things, but I'm no expert.

Last edited:
If you've played Resident Evil 3 remake, then you've noticed that the first 2-5 minutes are played in first person.

Checked, RE3R is in 3rd person apparently.

If so, Jill's model should be fully rigged even while in 1st person. ESO does this too. If you zoom all the way in, it switches you to 1st person mode for that single player Elder Scrolls immersion. But, that doesn't mean to everyone else you now appear headless. They simply don't render the head to you.

...it's really easy to hide an asset than to create it.

As for Cyberpunk, I think that comes down to Xbox One and PS4.

They likely unload the surrounding zone and load in a special zone that is only as big as the room in which the mirror resides. Then when you 'look away', it loads you back into the general area. All to save memory for the older consoles.

there is no third person view because the devs couldn't be bothered with fixing their horrible player character models skeletal animations.

I think you mixed cause and consequence.
The char. animations are made for 1st person game.

They already made 3rd person games. Now you are just sure they couldn't do hte animations... You mean those authors?

I think you mixed cause and consequence.
The char. animations are made for 1st person game.

They already made 3rd person games. Now you are just sure they couldn't do the animations... You mean those authors?

Exactly! And why would you need 3rd person in fps game with lots of cool guns! Any gunplay is always better in 1st person. I don't get people who want 3rd person view, it's as useless as have ads on toggle! There is much bigger issues in CP77, dumb AI for example!

Here is news, gunplay can be fun in 3rd person yo, i mean look end scene when you are in cyberspace and you talk with V she don't even have face animation her lips don't move, again why people who love 1st person don't want option to toggle 1st person or 3rd person in single player game ????

Here is news, gunplay can be fun in 3rd person yo, i mean look end scene when you are in cyberspace and you talk with V she don't even have face animation her lips don't move, again why people who love 1st person don't want option to toggle 1st person or 3rd person in single player game ????

Not for me at least. Shooting is better in 1st person.
Cold be a bug, mine V have his lips moving as he spoke.

It is not about not wanting others having the option. If there would be a mod, DLC... heck, if devs change their mind and add it, then whatever.

I just think that it is not worthy here scenes and story is designed with 1st person view in mind. Devs made this game as 1sp person game. Redoing it instead of fixing and imrpoving it does not seems to me as best option.

And I do not agreewith the notion that is was a mistake not to add or that they must do it, that is given with AAA taht you will have both.... etc.

Well i dont think well see 3rd person until multi player and thats a big if at the moment. On personal note i dont see any difference between, combat in this game with guns is no more enjoyable than gun play in rdr2, immersion isnt ur pov its how your character interacts with the world and objects and the npcs in it.

If rather a simple toggle to swap between modesit doesnt hurt anyones gameplay so its not a issue at all

I don't get people who want 3rd person view, it's as useless as have ads on toggle!
Yes! What use does 3rd person view have? What use does 1st person have? What use does a videogame have? What use does gaming in general have?

They all share the same answer. If you don't know the answer to those, then indeed you don't get it.

Well i dont think well see 3rd person until multi player and thats a big if at the moment. On personal note i dont see any difference between, combat in this game with guns is no more enjoyable than gun play in rdr2, immersion isnt ur pov its how your character interacts with the world and objects and the npcs in it.

If rather a simple toggle to swap between modesit doesnt hurt anyones gameplay so its not a issue at all
So let's make a petition to ad 1st person to Witcher 3 and also to cutscenes too, like in CP77!
I only hope that CDPR would be so stupid to actually make 3rd person mode instead of fixing 1 billion other more important problems this game has..
Post automatically merged:

...why people who love 1st person don't want option to toggle 1st person or 3rd person in single player game ????
1) because it's made as FP game!
2) because there is no decent 1st person rpg with FPS mechanics! (Fallout and Outer World doesn't counts for me at least)
3) cause CDPR would have to remake almost whole game to make it in 3rd !!!!!
P.S.: and 3rd person gunplay not even nearly close as fun as 1st p, RDR2 GTA series and Fortnight are perfect proof!
Post automatically merged:

Yes! What use does 3rd person view have? What use does 1st person have? What use does a videogame have? What use does gaming in general have?

They all share the same answer. If you don't know the answer to those, then indeed you don't get it.
Looks like you don't get my message, and just got angry all of a sudden lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom