[TW1][mod] Full Combat Rebalance v1.3 RC

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day fellow The Witcher -fans! I recently installed a bunch of mods (Texturen, Hi-Res Chars, FCR, Scabbard and Rainsounds) and I found the changes in the FCR mod quite compelling on paper. But when I started one of the additional adventures of the enhanced edition an even on the lowest difficulty level (normal) it was very hard to survive. I finished the main game on "normal", but I guess that doesnt set any standard. So I wonder if the DLC are somehow more effected and maybe the difficulty is only balanced for the main story? This actually doesnt sound that plausible, even to me but, if not I might be the wrong player for this mod, because althogh I like to have a challenging game, saving before every ennemy because I might have to reload, is not my way of enjoying a game.If I am just too much of a n00b for this mod, I'd like to know if there is a way to profit from the mod's changes by having an even easier difficulty level. I understand that I can get many changes by installing the flash mod with keeping the original ai, but I really like the changes to the skill tree and also the more-lethal-for-both-sides approach. I just need it to be a bit less lethal ;)Thanks for the mod and for the answerZPPS: I forgot to mention that I haven't felt to start a new main story and play so far (That would be Vizima main City I guess) that I can make a judgement concerning the FCR changes in the main game.

@Ziegenpeter,Quote from mod F.A.Q.
Q: Do the changes that the FCR introduces affect additional adventures? A: Yes, but it is worth remembering that both Flash Mod and FCR were created with the main game in mind and have been tested with it. The modifications are not balanced in terms of difficulty level for the additional adventures, and it is possible that unforeseen errors might occur.
FCR was never meant to be played with additional adventures.@Deen25Thank you for detailed opinion from a modder's point of view. It's exactly what I need now that I'm working on a big update. I'll answer to each of your point later. Reply to such post requires more time.

OK, I finally have spare time to reply.First of all I want you to realise that FCR is not what I want it to be. It's all what the game allows it to be. Modders have access to 4% of game's script sources. Everything else is a mystery. During mod development I had to simplify many things and completely resign from other. I have to work with what I have.1. Dodge and parry.The penalty is applied as an ability. I can edit abilities and add new ones but I need to know the place where they are assigned. AttackFromBehind is a special case because it is in ability list but there's no place I know of/have access to where Geralt aquires this talent. He's clearly suffering from debuff but I don't know when, where and how he got this ability in game. If I'd know I could split attack from behind and attack from sides into 2 talents and give them different attributes. Not possible however so it stays as it is. Also it's not possible to change the angles.2. Dexterity vs Stamina.I said many times in this topic that Dexterity and Stamina are interchangable. Whether Dexterity or Stamina is better is a personal preference. Dexterity also serves as a sort of immunity to critical effects because critical chance to apply the effect is calculated only when you are being hit. This topic is like discussing tank vs dex builds in other games. Each player swears by his build.3. Group style.First I buffed group style to make players finally use it. Now I have to nerf it. It's not a silver vs steel issue.4. Less varied talent tree.Talent tree is less varied than vanilla? I need more arguments here because the fact that you've managed to finish the game with 1 sword style and there's no Patinado and Sinister is not enough? You can finish vanilla game with group style only, or Igni only, or whatever only. FCR favors realism so unlogical talents like dealing more damage with sword when enemy is ignited was replaced by area of effect sweep. Fast style is as much effective for players who use it as group style is for players who use group style.5. Bugs.I did everything I could and placed many overlapping safeguards to ensure that there will be no bugs. I can't do anything more. If the game has some issues than it's not a mod fault. Like the bug with group style protection not always on. Parry bonus works same way as every other talent with usage condition. If something like this happens then it's global bug from vanilla and each and every talent like that can have this issue.

As a personal note on the mod, which I kept on playing on "Hard" - I'd say main problem with balancing is that Geralt is too weak at the start and gets maybe too strong around level 30 or so. One possible way to remedy this would be to give geralt more health at start and tone down the stamina buffs a bit conversely. Or maybe adjust the stamina buffs so you get linear benefit instead of exponential one. IMO DEX and STA are not truly interchangeable. You WILL be hit and without sufficient boost from STA you will be instakilled. You need both but I'd err on boosting STA first. With both boosted to 5 or 4 levels, Geralt becomes real menace.

Hi guys,I don't know if anyone reads this anymore but I'm having a problem.The fight with the professor and javad at the end of act II is KILLING me over and over and over. Any tips for this fight? I'm playing on normal. I have been using diamond dust, group stance when running around, and strength stance on the professor, I've probably tried it about 15 times. This is a totally game breaking experience for me. This is not fun at all, it is tedious and annoying.Thanks!

Are you using the right potions? I buffed the hell out of myself for that fight. Drink Maribor Forest and Swallow and whatever else that'll boost your stats. That fight was pretty easy for me on normal because I was so hopped up on potions. It's really strange that you're having so hard a time.Any idea when the next version is going to be released, Flash? I really want to replay The Witcher from start to finish before TW2 comes out.

I started working on new version 5 months ago. I wish I could be done with it but I got a job and don't have much of free time anymore. Can't promise anything, I don't know myself how long will it take.

The fight with the professor and javad has totally ruined this mod in my eyes, I'm on attempt 23. This mod was fun and challenging until this point. Now it is pointless, frustrating, and annoying. I can't advance the story no matter how many different methods I try. My game at this point is ruined.Is there anyway I can give myself a temp God-mode so I can AT LEAST continue to enjoy this game?Failing that, how do I uninstall the mod?

Attempt 32. I had a glass cup near me that suffered due to my frustration, it is now in a million pieces. Is this fight designed to be impossible? Can I uninstall the mod, do this fight so it is actually beatable, then reinstall the mod and continue playing? I can't even begin to express my frustration. THIS IS NOT FUN.

nateedubs said:
Attempt 32. I had a glass cup near me that suffered due to my frustration, it is now in a million pieces. Is this fight designed to be impossible? Can I uninstall the mod, do this fight so it is actually beatable, then reinstall the mod and continue playing? I can't even begin to express my frustration. THIS IS NOT FUN.
The fight is beatable . But if your serious about uninstalling then read the readme in your witcher folder . But in order to win the fight you cannot let either of them get to the side or especially behind you . For myself the first time i played with FCR well let`s just say i understand your frustration but what worked for me besides being well prepared potion wise was aard then work on the professor and rinse and repeat and either diamond dust or crinfried oil or runic stone on the blade , basically anything on the blade that will deal extra damage .

nateedubs said:
Yeah, everyone hates this part. Check the thread back for some other war stories, mine included. Some pointers#1 Don't be shy to save if you manage to put down the Ifrit without taking any/much damage. This lets you quickly redo the fight from good starting position. Go to the farthest corner with the path out with ifrit, buys you some seconds right away. #2 Cinfrid oil does not work. Diamond dust does #3 Aard buys you a few seconds respite#4 suggested potions: swallow, blizzard, tawny owl, maribor forest (take one with albedo #1st, then boost with negrido and rubedo)#5 eat and drink, it isn't much but just might do the trick#6 go to place of power and do the ritual of lifeAnd finallyDon't be shy to do everything else first, buff Geralt's stamina, dex and strong style as much as possible in that order

[/QUOTE]Yeah, everyone hates this part. Check the thread back for some other war stories, mine included. Some pointers#1 Don't be shy to save if you manage to put down the Ifrit without taking any/much damage. This lets you quickly redo the fight from good starting position. Go to the farthest corner with the path out with ifrit, buys you some seconds right away. #2 Cinfrid oil does not work. Diamond dust does #3 Aard buys you a few seconds respite#4 suggested potions: swallow, blizzard, tawny owl, maribor forest (take one with albedo #1st, then boost with negrido and rubedo)#5 eat and drink, it isn't much but just might do the trick#6 go to place of power and do the ritual of lifeAnd finallyDon't be shy to do everything else first, buff Geralt's stamina, dex and strong style as much as possible in that order [/QUOTE]I can't seem to get it to save after I kill the thing. I hit f5 like 10 times after it dies and it does not save....

I seriously had no trouble at all with the ifrit, the Professor and Javed on normal. I beat that fight pretty easy; I've run into way harder fights in FCR... Really strange.

Guest 2081505

My recommendation:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yneSE9pF1ow(on insane)Frighten the Ifrit with the bomb "King and Queen".Geralt turns around instantly with key "F".

superballs said:
I seriously had no trouble at all with the ifrit, the Professor and Javed on normal. I beat that fight pretty easy; I've run into way harder fights in FCR... Really strange.
Normal is waaaaay easier than hard. You get huge regen and damage bonus.

Calbeast,I got your msg, although it won't let me send a reply for some reason. Got an email I can just send the saved game to? My email is ntnichols@eiu.edu For some reason every time I tried to reply it just refreshed the page....not sure about that?Anyway, I'd like to take you up on your offer. I love this game and I just want to continue the story.Thanks.

Barleyman said:
Barleyman said:
Normal is waaaaay easier than hard. You get huge regen and damage bonus.
He's playing on normal.

Is there a way to not have the swap between Strong and Fast styles with this mod in which Fast is better against big, tough enemies and Strong is better against small, fast enemies? Perhaps an installation option?It just seems very, very, very wrong to me, and it's preventing me from using what is otherwise an amazing mod.

I greatly prefer Flash mod to this one, since I don't personally like the talent or weapon style changes at all. But I prefer how this mod greatly increases damage dealt/received and dodge/parry to increase difficulty, rather than Flash mod's method of boosting everyone's health up really high. Is there any way I could set it up like that, with the Flash mod changes, as well as the increased damage/dodge/parry from this mod but without anything like the talent/style changes?These are the issues I have with FCR right now if you're curious.I prefer the vanilla styles, because switching them based on enemy and circumstance adds a nice amount of depth and tactic to fights. I also can't get behind your logic of having Fast style better against big, tough enemies and Strong style better against small, fast enemies. Despite your reasons given, it still feels completely backward to me personally.As for the talents, I don't like that you've slimmed down the trees, on top of homogenizing/simplifying many of the effects. It removes a lot of the depth, and takes the fun out of getting talents for me. You've also greatly weakened them, causing your choices to matter far less. Finally, there are quite a few typos in the talent descriptions. Like Herbalism mentioning being able to use oils, and oils mentioning being able to use bombs etc.As for the high health of enemies in Flash mod, I don't dislike the style of it really. I actually like that it's less random. But there's not enough penalty for letting enemies get behind you, and it looks ridiculous when fighting humans. Seeing an ordinary guy turned inside out by your sword and still fight is pretty awkward.It also gets tedious fast, since it relies more on you just wailing relentlessly on them so they'll finally die rather than moving and dodging to keep yourself alive.As some constructive advice, this is some stuff that would resolve any issues I have with it personally.I think it would be much better to move Strong back to being good against heavily armored targets and Fast back to being good against lightly armored targets. I believe Strong also used to be focused more on raw damage, whereas Fast was more defensive. The game references constantly that this is what the styles are intended for, and not just in tutorial tips. Lambert says directly that the Strong style is designed for cutting through heavy armor, and that the Fast style is meant to keep your opponent from pressing their attack against you.I also think it's a bad idea to have the AoE talents under Fast and Strong. Their one and only conceivable purpose is to step on the toes of Group style, making it even less useful.In regard to talents, there are many typos and graphical issues.There are the issues I mentioned with the oils/herbs/bombs etc, of course. Then there's the fact that many level 5 talents claim they require the 5th rank from a different tree. Some of the descriptions are clumsy, like simply saying "This is a very important talent!"It's also incredibly strange that you have ranks requiring a point from a higher tier than they should. Bronze requiring Silver, Silver requiring Gold. Not only does that seem strange and unnecessary to me, but they still have the appearance of their normal point requirement, which looks very sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom