Night City is too peaceful.

+
1) Perfect cop response. Cops are aplenty and they're everywhere. I don't think they should send an entire police station to put me down because I killed a bunch of fellas in some god forsaken apartment building.
2) Pedestrians are unarmed and run away in panic if you start messing around. Instead nearly everyone should be armed and majority should start fighting back if you try to intimidate or attack them. Right now they just walk around lazily or crunch in fear.
3) People should try to stand up for themselves because there's little help from officials. Means, if I pull a gun on someone, they should pull a gun in response, as well as a bunch of folks around them. It shouldn't be a gang only matter.

What do you think?

I was just walking around night city, and i was thinking this very thing, I live in america NOW and its much more violent and vitriol than the NPC's are in night city, My small desert town almost every citizen is armed or knows how to use a weapon.
We have laws but it really is just a free for all here.

2) Pedestrians are unarmed and run away in panic if you start messing around. Instead nearly everyone should be armed and majority should start fighting back if you try to intimidate or attack them. Right now they just walk around lazily or crunch in fear.
3) People should try to stand up for themselves because there's little help from officials. Means, if I pull a gun on someone, they should pull a gun in response, as well as a bunch of folks around them. It shouldn't be a gang only matter.

What do you think?

So you really want every civilian in a crowd of gang members to shoot you in case you accidently aimed at one while aiming at a gang member? Actually it angers me a little why so little run away instead of only going down with hands up, sometimes when you try to aim at gang members from afar people even walk back and forth between your line of fire. Often i simply give a suppressed shot into the air to make citizens to run to prevent any accident with them to happen and you want them to return the aggro to leave you no choice but to kill them wich calls in the cops?

Agreed. It’s probably because the pedestrian AI and police warrant system is rudimentary at best.

Also I think there should be lot of random events like robberies, drive by shootings and assaults to make it really feel like “most violent city in America”.

I think the Assaults in Progress are meant to reflect "random" events even if they're scripted.

There's another mechanic, that I think can make it feel more appropriate and fitting for Night City.

If you kill someone, thanks to top surveillance, they issue a warrant on you quickly. But it doesn't mean 5 second later cops arrive to put you down. In majority of areas there won't be any response at all and cops will attack you only if you reach more guarded areas or start killing too many people. And unless you erase the warrant from databases (by hacking or paying someone), some areas will be out of limits for you. Plus, occasionally, mercs might spawn to kill you. You aren't the only merc in town.

There are also the randomized Star Missions in the game where police and gangs are shooting it out.

It also doesn't help that all NPC's are just:
1. Cardboard.
2. Appear out of nowhere.
3. Disappear in thin air.
4. Have 1 sentence then say ....?
5. Have no other script than, stand here, eat here, go here, turn around and disappear.

That's kind of how people are in a busy metropolis -- emotionless pedestrians always in a hurry to go somewhere, you are just another anon among a crowd of anons, and no one has time to talk to one another or remember each other's faces

Plus, occasionally, mercs might spawn to kill you. You aren't the only merc in town.

Thats a very intressting point. I wonder if any of the fixers you worked for throughout the game would accept somebodys assassination order against V and proceed that job to another merc.

Perhaps there are other fixes that dont contact you and those would then give the assassination job of V to other mercenaries.

1) Perfect cop response. Cops are aplenty and they're everywhere. I don't think they should send an entire police station to put me down because I killed a bunch of fellas in some god forsaken apartment building.

What do you think?
1) I somewhat disagree. They should pull out with swat like response because the potential of what they encounter is indeed so violent. Also, keep in mind they're not nesecarily a peacekeeping force but an orderkeeping force. I think their response strength is good.

2) I also somewhat disagree here. I do agree in that I'd like for at least some to carry a weapon (maybe they do but have it 'holstered' so its not visible. And I think it would be cool if on occasion one would draw it in self defense where a short dialogue can be started where he doesn't want to shoot but will if provoked. You holstering your weapon or diffusing it by stating you're not after him could make him run away or something.
I think the bigger concern right now is that idle pedestrians do little of anything at all. But I would not want to have to engage in a firefire on every litteral 2 meters of walking.

Then @Sillivanukas 's idea of random triggered events. I very much like this. It make the city more lively. And it can be tied into gang ops.
Maybe work together with street cred where you can affiliate with certain gangs.
Also, it can be an excuse to see MaxTac response every once in a while because I'never seen that outside of the prologue scripted incident.
Edit: with keeping in mimd the below, what could be interesting to see is if on random occasion a few cars or vans from gangs were spotted driving angily towards an assault location. To give this more immersive feel of running into an assault about to take place. Maybe also be a slight nod to do some car shenanigans and potentially trigger a car chase.
Post automatically merged:

I think the Assaults in Progress are meant to reflect "random" events even if they're scripted.
I guess you're right yeah. It however often seems like we arrive just after they did their thing. They just forgot to leave and have become cannonfodder for me to loot

Last edited:
So you really want every civilian in a crowd of gang members to shoot you in case you accidently aimed at one while aiming at a gang member? Actually it angers me a little why so little run away instead of only going down with hands up, sometimes when you try to aim at gang members from afar people even walk back and forth between your line of fire. Often i simply give a suppressed shot into the air to make citizens to run to prevent any accident with them to happen and you want them to return the aggro to leave you no choice but to kill them wich calls in the cops?
These are game design details, but let's say people don't immediately start shooting if you only aim at them. They might verbally react or pull their gun too without shooting.

These are game design details, but let's say people don't immediately start shooting if you only aim at them. They might verbally react or pull their gun too without shooting.
Guess they then should do the same when gang members start a fight while V just drives past the area or something so that a gang member who potentially kills a nearby civilian gets killed by a lucky hit of that civilian.

I mean.. gang members shot you while you walk by and nobody cares... you shot gang members and the whole district screams in protest and whole night city police spawns in.

If then alot of things would have to change, not only the reactions of civilians.

Guess they then should do the same when gang members start a fight while V just drives past the area or something so that a gang member who potentially kills a nearby civilian gets killed by a lucky hit of that civilian.

I mean.. gang members shot you while you walk by and nobody cares... you shot gang members and the whole district screams in protest and whole night city police spawns in.

If then alot of things would have to change, not only the reactions of civilians.
Sure, why not? Even Doom from 1993 had enemies fighting because of "friendly fire". If some gang member initiates the fight and shoots someone who was passing/running by, some extras can join the shooting. Crowds need to react not only to your actions.

2) Pedestrians are unarmed and run away in panic if you start messing around. Instead nearly everyone should be armed and majority should start fighting back if you try to intimidate or attack them.
I would've killed every single citizen by now, if that was the case.

What do you think?
I never thought about this before, but it actually makes a lot of sense. There's a ton of in game marketing for firearms, 2nd ammendment, kids playing with guns, npc conversations about guns, media in the game makes it seem like only a gonk would be unarmed.

I don't think everyone should be warring in the streets and I don't attack common citizens, but it does feel a little strange that only V fights back.

Remember they also show on TV in game and used it for game marketing.. A scene where a group of guys target this poor defenseless girl in the streets at night by herself.... They weren't expecting her to have Mantis Blades..

Top Bottom