Night City is too peaceful.

+
1) I somewhat disagree. They should pull out with swat like response because the potential of what they encounter is indeed so violent. Also, keep in mind they're not nesecarily a peacekeeping force but an orderkeeping force. I think their response strength is good.
For me the issue isn't really the strength, but sort of priority. It's always the same. I can understand better quarters and streets are guarded better. With street patrols, drones, eventual backup. But in the middle of some slums or wasteland? I'd rather have "wanted" status in most cases, not immediate response unless crowded prestigious area. Wanted and it's severity depends on what you did. You better preserve "normal" status if you don't want any issues with patrols and stuff.
2) I also somewhat disagree here. I do agree in that I'd like for at least some to carry a weapon (maybe they do but have it 'holstered' so its not visible. And I think it would be cool if on occasion one would draw it in self defense where a short dialogue can be started where he doesn't want to shoot but will if provoked. You holstering your weapon or diffusing it by stating you're not after him could make him run away or something.
I think the bigger concern right now is that idle pedestrians do little of anything at all. But I would not want to have to engage in a firefire on every litteral 2 meters of walking.
Why would you engage in a firefight every 2 meters of walking if you don't pull your gun on people? The issue is that almost nobody is armed and if threatened they just have 3 reactions (run away, sit in fear or T-pose). Half of Night City should be armed. If you throw someone out of their car, you better drive away fast because that person might open fire.

I think the Assaults in Progress are meant to reflect "random" events even if they're scripted.

I suppose.
But I’m hoping something to make the city feel alive, “assault in progresses” frankly make it even more static. They’re just another mini mission. Blip in the map pointing you to group of baddies standing around.

I want to walk in Heywood, Valentino ganger walking in front of me, when suddenly 6th street goons drives by and shoots the guy and drives away.

It also doesn't help that all NPC's are just:
1. Cardboard.
2. Appear out of nowhere.
3. Disappear in thin air.
4. Have 1 sentence then say ....?
5. Have no other script than, stand here, eat here, go here, turn around and disappear.
Add to that the fact that there are not many unique NPC models, making encounters of clone twins or triplets way too common. Like those 2 groupies from 50-years in the past that haven't aged a day - you see them way too often. Another one are the "hobos" that you see in every "poor" area countless of times.

I was thinking about this last night...

Night City itself should feel like one huge threat to the player: I shouldn't be feeling anywhere near as safe as I do right now.

Even at max levels, (thinking kind of realistically) there would still be people either stronger still, or stupid enough, to try jump me somewhere, or ambush me as I'm making my way from one district to the next depending on where... Just a very rough example.

Each district could have different types of random immediate threats, suitable to the district in question. The different types wouldn't even have to be super unique from one another, just different enough.

I really, really hope they consider adding some more immediate (more or less nonavoidable) threats to the player. That is, dangers other than enemies at designated map markers. Can't begin to express the wonders that would do for my small gamer brain.

Night City itself should feel like one huge threat to the player: I shouldn't be feeling anywhere near as safe as I do right now.

It depends because I want to feel like Night City is my city and I am the most badass man who ever lived in it.

V is the Batman of the Afterlife.

1) Perfect cop response. Cops are aplenty and they're everywhere. I don't think they should send an entire police station to put me down because I killed a bunch of fellas in some god forsaken apartment building.
2) Pedestrians are unarmed and run away in panic if you start messing around. Instead nearly everyone should be armed and majority should start fighting back if you try to intimidate or attack them. Right now they just walk around lazily or crunch in fear.
3) People should try to stand up for themselves because there's little help from officials. Means, if I pull a gun on someone, they should pull a gun in response, as well as a bunch of folks around them. It shouldn't be a gang only matter.

What do you think?
It would fit the lore at least, given that you have these vending machines:
1610443705404.png

Even at max levels, (thinking kind of realistically) there would still be people either stronger still, or stupid enough, to try jump me somewhere, or ambush me as I'm making my way from one district to the next depending on where... Just a very rough example.

Each district could have different types of random immediate threats, suitable to the district in question. The different types wouldn't even have to be super unique from one another, just different enough.

I really, really hope they consider adding some more immediate (more or less nonavoidable) threats to the player. That is, dangers other than enemies at designated map markers. Can't begin to express the wonders that would do for my small gamer brain.
When I was driving through Pacifica streets for the first time I felt like someone would start to shoot at my car to kill and rob me, felt anxious. Nothing happened.

When I was driving through Pacifica streets for the first time I felt like someone would start to shoot at my car to kill and rob me, felt anxious. Nothing happened.

Isn't Pacifica the safest neighborhood in the city because of the Voodoo Boys?

The issue is that almost nobody is armed and if threatened they just have 3 reactions (run away, sit in fear or T-pose). Half of Night City should be armed. If you throw someone out of their car, you better drive away fast because that person might open fire.
In the real world, armed people do not fight back automatically when someone starts shooting in their vicinity. Deliberately engaging in a fire fight requires a certain mind set, which very few people have to call on. So yes the "run away" or "hide" thing makes sense. Even if most people are armed, most people don't want to start shooting at other people as a first response.

What is annoying is that if you bump into someone too hard then the civilians start running around screaming you are a murderer. Then if you have civilian "aggro" and get to close to police they aggro and you trigger warnings and oh look the broken police AI is now attacking you. In general the police response to V is totally out of synch with what else is happening in the city - V accidentally shoots/stabs someone and half-dozen cops appear and start shooting. Gang members have 2 dead cops and half a dozen civilians and not a cop in sight. I mean if a gang member shoots a civilian in a fire fight, that's fine, but you even point your gun at them you get a warning - and a swarm of cops if you shoot them because they stood up and walked into your line of fire instead of cowering sensibly like all the plebs 2 blocks away....

There are also the randomized Star Missions in the game where police and gangs are shooting it out.

Yah, I don't get what they are about.
At the beginning I tried to side with the cops and shoot the baddies, but cops turned on me for meddling in their affairs.
So I got the message. Now when I see a pulsing star, I just keep going.
Unless, there is a crime going on with no cops around. Then I shoot the baddies and run myself.
Still, don't quite know what kind of events they are meant to be...

At the beginning I tried to side with the cops and shoot the baddies, but cops turned on me for meddling in their affairs.
Unless, there is a crime going on with no cops around. Then I shoot the baddies and run myself.

Randomized violence to make Night City seem more horrible, I suppose.

What are you talking about?

Peaceful!

Bah - stick me behind the wheel of any vehicle and it's carnage on every street corner, footpath, dining establishment and stairwell!

Yeah, I'm the same way. If there's cops, I just keep going.

1st one I came up on, NCPD was surrounded & outnumbered something like 6 to 2.. I thought oh no! But was then surprised when I engaged the group to try and save the cops, they then all joined together to shoot me.
Maybe they didn't like my shoes idk

I think it should be random. Hit or shoot an NPC and there's a chance they will attack you back. Same with crowds. Some will fight some will run, some might take the opportunity to help you fight whatever gang you were shooting at...

Police stars shouldn't disappear so fast and cops should only come after you when you get 4 or 5 stars, they also should not spawn right at your location (obviously)

Everytime I erase a group of Tygers or Valentinos, It would be cool to get a phone call or txt message with sort of a threat "hey sucka you killed my brother/cousin, you'll pay for this" but no one seems to bother

2) Pedestrians are unarmed and run away in panic if you start messing around. Instead nearly everyone should be armed and majority should start fighting back if you try to intimidate or attack them. Right now they just walk around lazily or crunch in fear.

Sorry, this makes no sense. You want the majority of civilians to be gun-toting badasses? I'm happy to suspend disbelief for games but this is totally unrealistic.
Normal people run.

Lmao this forum just keeps on giving! Now Night City is peaceful...

There are literally shootouts between police and criminals almost everywhere, there is literally a shootout outside V's megabuilding which is also next to the police headquarters. There are gang members everywhere that are armed, there's a murder scene on the floor V lives, there's murder scenes everywhere, crime, cyberpsychos, corpses, people throwing themselves to death from buildings.

I mean it's almost too much even. Yeah pedestrians aren't armed, but pedestrians are part of the whole "non-existent AI" problem we have going on at the moment.

How anyone can say Night City is too safe is beyond me. I'll probably get killed within 2 weeks in that city, even the richest people in the city in the richest parts of the city aren't safe.

But what do I know, I'm just browsing the forum waiting for the next piece of "constructive criticism" to arrive. :D

Top Bottom