If Night City is an independent City State, why does South California guard it's border?

+

TJXXX

Forum regular
In the Nomad lifepath, when crossing the border to Night City, I noticed that it's SoCAL authorities that let you through.

That would be like me as a Canadian wanting to cross into the U.S. but having to deal with Canadian Border services instead of U.S. border services.

JagoA

Forum regular
I mean there could be multiple political reasons why certain groups are the guarding certain border exits/entrances, I don't think this is much of a plothole/whatnot.

Glifu

Forum regular
I might be mistaken, but certian parts of that border wall, are covered by different corps, its not that whole wall is covered by 1 "faction".

Night City isn't a city state. It belongs to Southern California, which is an autonomous state that (quite loosely) belongs to the NUSA. That's why NC citizens sometimes serve in the NUSA military and come back to become 6th street. In a radio broadcast you can hear the info that according to polls 78% of NC residents are in favor of returning fully to the NUSA.

TJXXX

Forum regular
Night City isn't a city state. It belongs to Southern California, which is an autonomous state that (quite loosely) belongs to the NUSA. That's why NC citizens sometimes serve in the NUSA military and come back to become 6th street. In a radio broadcast you can hear the info that according to polls 78% of NC residents are in favor of returning fully to the NUSA.

It's free from NUSA and both Californias government as of the 2070s - Night City | Cyberpunk Wiki | Fandom

Well there is clearly some lore inconsistencies about that ...

- Night city is a independant city state thanks to Arasaka, BUT
- As you say 6th street guys are thorically veterans, but they are staunch NUSA supporters too, which causes problem because Night city and northen california was on the free state's side of the war. I mean, I can envision NUSA patriotes leaving Night city and voluntering in NUSA army but it seems there are a lot of them, even more than regular guys who would go in NorthCal army.

As for the NCPD not controlling their borders, it could be explain by them being as several times stated in the game, critically understaffed and underfunded.

As for the NCPD not controlling their borders, it could be explain by them being as several times stated in the game, critically understaffed and underfunded.

They actually have contracted Militech to run border security in the eastern parts of the Badlands. There's lots of shards of citizens just getting executed by Militech because they "thought" they were smugglers or circumventing the SoCal perimeter.

In the Nomad lifepath, when crossing the border to Night City, I noticed that it's SoCAL authorities that let you through.

That would be like me as a Canadian wanting to cross into the U.S. but having to deal with Canadian Border services instead of U.S. border services.
What I deduced from that is that you're smuggling with a LOA, which sounds to me that the border crossing is perceived as 'preventing from getting out of the country'
But that is as close of a reasoning I can make up for it.

Night city and northen california was on the free state's side of the war. I mean, I can envision NUSA patriotes leaving Night city and voluntering in NUSA army but it seems there are a lot of them, even more than regular guys who would go in NorthCal army.
I'm pretty positive that Nightcity was a ''neutral power'' during the war and picked no part or side.

Top Bottom