+

Happy or Sad endings?

• Happy

Votes: 82 71.3%
  • Sad

Votes: 33 28.7%

• Total voters
I don't mind a good sad ending.

I said the only thing needed to fix Mass Effect 3 is to end the game with Shepard turning on the Catalyst and then lying down to die beside Admiral Anderson. It's not the ending anyone wanted but remove all the Starchild bullshit or "commit genocide to destroy the Reapers or body rape the galaxy or become Cthulhu" and I think the ending has the emotional power it needs no one can really argue with it.

I don't mind the current endings because I think AI V is the same as regular V and thus V lives in most of the endings. However, I think the big issue is that aside from living, there's a not much point to having V do what they do. V trying to find Randy with River actually makes a better quest than most of them because V is putting aside their own selfish goals to try to save a kid.

They made the central quest one of pure selfishness and while that's fine, its less compelling if you imagine your V is not a complete pile of crap.

Nope. I don't hate unhappy endings. What I hate are undecided endings. That are just there to setup a sequel or DLC. And stories that ignore questions that V would have asked. Which would have made it possible for V to survive. With the various endings. Kill V off and create a new character in the future. Make V survive and just move on from the character. If you didn't want to deal with story problems with using V in a sequel. Not this half maybe this maybe that. Hanako ending lying out of their ass shit.

I just wanted a secret way to prevent Dex of shooting V in the head so the chip would not kill me. Then I could go to a ripperdoc who could remove Johnny from my head so I could just explore the sidequests in peace. :) And maybe store the chip in V's apartment and try to shake all Arasaka's spy's.

Last edited:
No.

The Mist had a banger ending.

A real, one, two, three, four, five, six and seven punch to the stomach, genitals, eyesocket and underarm.

It just needs to be satisfying.

There is a difference between sad and just plain bad endings
& you can guess which I feel SLASHEDpunk 2077 has
;)

Happy ending for pre defined characters, sad or happy ending (either is fine) for a character we actually create if they are ambiguous, as long as the sad ending holds meaning for everybody else.

With that being said, this series still holds the number one spot for me for any form of fiction, I love that the main characters we play as selflessly sacrifice their happiness and wellbeing for the myriad of amazing characters they meet. Yakuza 6 took me a long time to come to terms with, but I realised that Kiryu's ending is so beautifully executed once I stopped being salty. In a world where every human is desperate to become a dragon, the only true dragon succeeded in becoming a human. The series plot is the opposite of what I usually like in that regard, speaks volumes to it's quality imo.

I don't know why people are describing CP2077 as a sad ending. Unless you commit suicide, pretty much all the endings are bittersweet, with varying emphisis on bitter and sweet depending on what route you take. Some endings like star are downright hopeful.

"uuhh but 6 months"
HEAVILY implied to be curable, hell, there's rumours of a DLC already.

"AI V"
Well yeah. Here we get into the moral quandary of "Is V the same V". Which imo is one of the main themes of the game (self). I never cared for the question because as far as I'm concerned, V is still, perceivably, the same, which is all that matters.

I don't know why people are describing CP2077 as a sad ending. Unless you commit suicide, pretty much all the endings are bittersweet, with varying emphisis on bitter and sweet depending on what route you take. Some endings like star are downright hopeful.

"uuhh but 6 months"

"AI V"
Well yeah. Here we get into the moral quandary of "Is V the same V". Which imo is one of the main themes of the game (self). I never cared for the question because as far as I'm concerned, V is still, perceivably, the same, which is all that matters.
So what you are saying is that is you only look at the story in a very shallow way than it's not sad at all?

The issue is that 6 month death i pretty much a matter of fact after all that you experience in the game. In the game you exhaust all your possibilities for a cure, yet you are still left with nothing. There is literally no reason to believe that there is a cure still because that cure should have been offered in the base game. Locking away "true endings" in DLCs is very cheap if it's going to be the case.

Also the issue with soulkiller is a very valid concern for many because the game does a horrible job at exploring transhumanism and the meaning of a soul. Just because you personally don't care to put any thoughts into it, it doesn't mean other's criticism isn't valid.

Also the endings aren't bittersweet, perhaps except for the Panam since that is the only one whereyou get some sort of closure. Most endings are just down right depressing because you don't get to experience thosel ast months, you get no closure and you literally learn no lession in the story. You are just left feeling empty.

The issue is that 6 month death i pretty much a matter of fact after all that you experience in the game. In the game you exhaust all your possibilities for a cure, yet you are still left with nothing. There is literally no reason to believe that there is a cure still because that cure should have been offered in the base game. Locking away "true endings" in DLCs is very cheap if it's going to be the case.
Disagree. Vs condition has completely changed. Its changed from the construct overwritting her mind to her own immune system fighting her body. This happens at the end of the game, so we have not even started looking for a cure. Even so, the condition V is suffering from is very similar to multiple sclerosis. Remember the advertisement in the lift? Panam also doesnt seem too concerned that her partner/best friend is dying, and is pretty condifdent their contacts in AZ will sort V out.

Basegame cyberpunk is Johnny's story. I have no issue with a continuation and resolution of V's story in a DLC. If anything, it seems like a natural point to transfer.

Also the issue with soulkiller is a very valid concern for many because the game does a horrible job at exploring transhumanism and the meaning of a soul. Just because you personally don't care to put any thoughts into it, it doesn't mean other's criticism isn't valid.
I never said it wasn't valid, I said that I can't have an opinion on it because perceptibly, V is the same person before and after Mikoshi. For me, that's all that matters. This can obviously be explored in the aforementioned ending DLC.

Also the endings aren't bittersweet, perhaps except for the Panam since that is the only one whereyou get some sort of closure. Most endings are just down right depressing because you don't get to experience thosel ast months, you get no closure and you literally learn no lession in the story. You are just left feeling empty.

Temperance are the Johnny endings. Your own personal preference will determine how bitter those endings are to you.

Sun, Devil (if you return to earth) and especially Star can all lead into a cure DLC. Star is obvious, Devil can be done through Hanako's mission. i don't have experience with Sun so I cant say.

It's setting us up for a DLC, 100%. All the endings are bittersweet, what you're saying is that they feel unresolved, which I agree. They do.

Disagree. Vs condition has completely changed. Its changed from the construct overwritting her mind to her own immune system fighting her body. This happens at the end of the game, so we have not even started looking for a cure. Even so, the condition V is suffering from is very similar to multiple sclerosis. Remember the advertisement in the lift? Panam also doesnt seem too concerned that her partner/best friend is dying, and is pretty condifdent their contacts in AZ will sort V out.

Basegame cyberpunk is Johnny's story. I have no issue with a continuation and resolution of V's story in a DLC. If anything, it seems like a natural point to transfer.

I never said it wasn't valid, I said that I can't have an opinion on it because perceptibly, V is the same person before and after Mikoshi. For me, that's all that matters. This can obviously be explored in the aforementioned ending DLC.

Temperance are the Johnny endings. Your own personal preference will determine how bitter those endings are to you.

Sun, Devil (if you return to earth) and especially Star can all lead into a cure DLC. Star is obvious, Devil can be done through Hanako's mission. i don't have experience with Sun so I cant say.

It's setting us up for a DLC, 100%. All the endings are bittersweet, what you're saying is that they feel unresolved, which I agree. They do.
It didn't change tho in essence. V's situation literally equals to getting rid of one type of cancer with chemo only to be told that you have a different type now. TRust me, not many people have the will to go through the treatment a second time.
Arasaka for example, you are literally treated by one of the best qualified people on the world who tell you the only option is the soulkiller. Sorry if I'm skeptical about a solution after that.

The base cyberpunk story should have never been about Jhonny, that is definitely one of my main complaints. I never learnt to like his character, thus my main motivation to move forward was to get rid of him.

And I'm sorry, I personally think it's bad writing and a horrible experience when everything you wanted and expected from the story isn't present because it is for DLCs. Which btw is just purely speculation. CDPR has stated that they aren't going to expand on the main story as it is considered a done job.

So if that statement is true, the only endings we have are either die, die in 6 months without closure, or kill your soul first then die in 6 months.

All in all non of the endings feel satisfying, just cheap and feels like the writers didn't really know where they wanna go with the story. Tragic for the sake of staying dark is no good writing.

It didn't change tho in essence. V's situation literally equals to getting rid of one type of cancer with chemo only to be told that you have a different type now. TRust me, not many people have the will to go through the treatment a second time.
Arasaka for example, you are literally treated by one of the best qualified people on the world who tell you the only option is the soulkiller. Sorry if I'm skeptical about a solution after that.
Yeah V doesn't strike me as the person who would give up in that situation. Again, my point is that the problem with V is different now so of course it hasn't been explored yet.

The base cyberpunk story should have never been about Jhonny, that is definitely one of my main complaints. I never learnt to like his character, thus my main motivation to move forward was to get rid of him.
That's fair. i grew to like him after his sidejobs, but it doesn't change the fact that it is his story.

And I'm sorry, I personally think it's bad writing and a horrible experience when everything you wanted and expected from the story isn't present because it is for DLCs. Which btw is just purely speculation. CDPR has stated that they aren't going to expand on the main story as it is considered a done job.
I'll need a source on that. Everything I'm saying is speculation, but there's no way I can believe there is no continuation story with all the hints that they've dropped without a direct source from CDPR saying we're done.

So if that statement is true, the only endings we have are either die, die in 6 months without closure, or kill your soul first then die in 6 months.

All in all non of the endings feel satisfying, just cheap and feels like the writers didn't really know where they wanna go with the story. Tragic for the sake of staying dark is no good writing.

I don't get that feeling at all. Star is downright hopeful, you're a living legend in Sun and you haven't used soulkiller in Devil, aswell as obtained a very powerful ally. 6 months doesn't even seem like a challenge compared to those endings.

Yeah V doesn't strike me as the person who would give up in that situation. Again, my point is that the problem with V is different now so of course it hasn't been explored yet.

That's fair. i grew to like him after his sidejobs, but it doesn't change the fact that it is his story.

I'll need a source on that. Everything I'm saying is speculation, but there's no way I can believe there is no continuation story with all the hints that they've dropped without a direct source from CDPR saying we're done.

I don't get that feeling at all. Star is downright hopeful, you're a living legend in Sun and you haven't used soulkiller in Devil, aswell as obtained a very powerful ally. 6 months doesn't even seem like a challenge compared to those endings.
I can't find a source, so I might be wrong. (Which I deeply hope I am)
I don't disagree with you fully. I hope there will be a continuation with an actual solution.

But I still stand my ground that the way the endings were handled in the base game were just poor.
For me personally using the Soulkiller was completely out of the question. The way Alt frames it, it is a horrible descision so for me personally only the Arasaka solution was/is viable. And there was nothing hopeful in those endings.

I might change my mind about he soulkiller if the game would expand on explaining what Alt meant, or if any of the NPCs in the game would challange her statement.

I can't find a source, so I might be wrong. (Which I deeply hope I am)
I don't disagree with you fully. I hope there will be a continuation with an actual solution.

But I still stand my ground that the way the endings were handled in the base game were just poor.
For me personally using the Soulkiller was completely out of the question. The way Alt frames it, it is a horrible descision so for me personally only the Arasaka solution was/is viable. And there was nothing hopeful in those endings.

I might change my mind about he soulkiller if the game would expand on explaining what Alt meant, or if any of the NPCs in the game would challange her statement.

Absolutely. The fact you saw it that way and I didn't means the game did it's job in that circumstance. Soulkiller is philosophical.

Devil ends with Hanako calling you and hiring you. Hanako is the co-leader for one of the most powerful corps going, who has a vested interest in keeping V alive. Considering Star (Going to AZ for a cure) and Sun (going to Crystal Palace for Mr Blue Eyes who is hinting at a cure) exist, it is certantly not unreasonable to think Hanako would inform and help you in any continuation DLC.

I'll say this, check your main mission tracker during the epilogue, for me during star, it was at 60%, the other two were complete. Additionally, it had updated to say that we're going to Arizona for leads on a cure. It just SCREAMS that it's unresolved, and that it was ready to leap into act 4.

The one thing we're in complete agreement on however is the fact that the way the game ended sucked. It feels too unresolved which, if you're like me, really hurts future playthroughs. I've given myself enough hope and saw enough hints that I can't believe they intend to leave it there.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried Disney movies? Girl meets the handsome prince, defeats the evil guy and everyone lives happily ever after! Well except for the bad guy but they don't deserve a happy ending because they are icky and mean, you don't have to watch the protagonist die of an illness and if there is an illness then it will be cured by magical unicorn farts and the only ethical quandary you will ever need to face is whether or not it is ok to violate consent to wake somebody from a coma!

The poll and the thread title is a little confusing.
"Do you hate unhappy endings? (spoilers)"

"Happy or Sad endings?"
Happy
Sad

Like do you like happy or sad endings, or dislike happy or sad endings?
I feel like the poll will receive a huge amount of false negatives and false positives in both directions because it's not very clear. Just saying. :shrug:

Also a pretty much identical thread already exists with pretty much the same poll too.

I prefer there to be some sadness or tragedy to an ending. Not always such that everything goes to shit, though, but that there is a call for interpretation.

Consider the ending if Fallout. Is it a good or bad ending if you defeat the master? I mean, the lives if a whole bunch of people are saved, but what happens to you?

Or the ending of the movie Dogville. Did the villagers deserve what happened because it was their actions and attitudes that led to it, or was it just a showcase of profound cruelty?

I don’t like the sort of predictable good endings where ”evil is defeated and the hero lives happily ever after, or does the ultimate altruistic sacrifice for the better of the world”.
There has to be some deeper catch to it. A sort of vagueness that makes the viewer think about it.

How about "satisfying" vs "not satisfying"? This happy vs sad BS isn't really all there's to it.

Besides, what is "happy"? Is the Witcher 3 ending with Ciri becoming empress happy? Kind of? Sad? Probably not. But it's still a good ending, with a bittersweet tone. But the best bit about Witcher 3 endings is that they offer tonal variety, while CP77's ending do not.

Not really. Just feel... empty and depressed. But this is more strong feeling than satisfying from happy end.
We need some drama, i think. And games and movies are the best source.

In all of the endings V outright fails to achieve the main goal of the story. Bittersweet would be if you achieve your goal but at too great a cost. Or if you don't achieve the goal you set out originally, but still achieve something great instead.

The worst part is that the best ending of the game currently is the arasaka ending, because at least it fully plays out with the player in control. Even if they intended this as the bad ending. To me that's the most hopeful of the endings, because you are still in control and still V. Getting spaced or a terrorist sociopath taking over your body is not bittersweet, it is infuriating. Yeah there is the panam ending too, but I don't like that either, because it implies living out your last 6 months as the tuscens.

"uuhh but 6 months"
There is no implication of it being curable at all, where do you get that? The best people for curing you have already tried and failed. Even if through some ex machina there is a miracle cure popping up in the middle of the badlands it does not work as a DLC, because in a great chunk of possible endings V is already dead, would you exlcude 2/3 of your playerbase by releasing a DLC that only applies to one or two of the possible endings? LOL.

Top Bottom