Gwent Content Creators

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
There's something i noticed recently - and i admit, it took me way too long to notice - i would like to address now:

It seems Gwent streamers completely ignore seasonal modes.

I AM aware seasonal modes, even the most popular ones, arent played nearly as much as casual/ranked. Im probably one of seasonal mode's (in general) biggest fans, and even i play standard/ranked more, although not by much.

I would expect with Battle Rush currently being active, which is one of the best (IMO the best) seasonals, some content creators would at least make one video about it, but that is not the case. Im only following a couple of creators, since im toning down the time spent on youtube, but i did a search and didnt get results on any known streamers, only some i've never heard of, on 2 digit-views.

I think this is a negative cycle - creators dont do seasonal mode content because there arent as many players on those modes, and players dont play seasonal because they dont see their favourite creators doing it. I think it would be nice if it were the creators taking the 1st step and starting to give seasonal modes some love, and their followers would ensue.

What do you think?

DC9V

Forum veteran
I think battle rush is the only seasonal mode that I would watch.

Maybe things would be different if there was a dedicated mmr system for the casual modes (including draft mode). E.g. every end of the season the casual rank system resets, except for the person at position#1, and that person needs to be beaten ten times in a row until his rank resets, so it would be a seasonal challenge to kick that person from the throne. people could get ore for kicking people from the ladder and those who manage to stay on top could receive specific titles like "master of the seasons" etc...

I watch streamers mainly to learn more about playing the game — strategies and reasons behind them; common decks, how they are played, and how they are countered; cards I don’t own and how they can be used; etc. I find no point in watching streamers on seasonal or draft modes as they would help with none of this — and it’s more fun to play myself.

rrc

Forum veteran
There's something i noticed recently - and i admit, it took me way too long to notice - i would like to address now:

It seems Gwent streamers completely ignore seasonal modes.

I AM aware seasonal modes, even the most popular ones, arent played nearly as much as casual/ranked. Im probably one of seasonal mode's (in general) biggest fans, and even i play standard/ranked more, although not by much.

I would expect with Battle Rush currently being active, which is one of the best (IMO the best) seasonals, some content creators would at least make one video about it, but that is not the case. Im only following a couple of creators, since im toning down the time spent on youtube, but i did a search and didnt get results on any known streamers, only some i've never heard of, on 2 digit-views.

I think this is a negative cycle - creators dont do seasonal mode content because there arent as many players on those modes, and players dont play seasonal because they dont see their favourite creators doing it. I think it would be nice if it were the creators taking the 1st step and starting to give seasonal modes some love, and their followers would ensue.

What do you think?
I don't think there is any fun in watching Battle Rush games. Mostly it is just play-play-play-play-play.. The streamers wont even have time to see the chat or make any comment. So, I think Battle Rush is the worst seasonal mode for streamers/content-creators. Imagine a streamer or content creator playing battle rush. It is funny, but in a sad way.

Most other seasonal modes are broken or "there is this one obviously superior deck which will rule seasonal mode or its counter which has a remote chance to win". I don't think there has been a balanced season mode ever. Mostly it favors one or two decks max and the streamer/content-creator is going to face those decks 90% of the time. Quickly the stream/video will become boring.

Also, seasonal mode games videos become quickly irrelevant. The next season, no one is going to watch it. Other videos, even though they may be a little off meta (except for the stupid forking SK whose warrior list is still relevant and strong after 5 or 6 months) still people can learn somethings from them.

So, I am not sure if it is a good thing for streamers/content-creators to venture into seasonal mode. Some are good and some are decent to play, but seasonal mode games are useless for content-creators.

Since we are talking about streamers, I observe something in recent weeks.

Many of them decide to play Vypper deck and a few did not even acknowledge the guy who made it.

Though they did not specifically said they are the creator, some viewers misunderstood and thought they invented the deck. They did not clarify too. This to me is not cool. Kind of like copyright infringement. Even if you change a few cards, at least you contributed but if you copy exact same deck, you should acknowledge the creator.

To be fair, Freddy and trynet usually do mentioned it is not their own creation.

I was disappointed a few did not.

Most deck ideas are very self-evident from the cards ability and do not have an “inventor” per se. Viy with lots of tutors, Viper Witchers with Kolgrim and thinning cards, Movement ST are hardly amazing feats of inventiveness. Building around a particular card or theme is not something that should, or necessarily can be acknowledged. It is only polished, optimized deck lists that deserve recognition, and even then, in Gwent, I would not be surprised if multiple people independently obtain very similar or identical lists.

Most deck ideas are very self-evident from the cards ability and do not have an “inventor” per se. Viy with lots of tutors, Viper Witchers with Kolgrim and thinning cards, Movement ST are hardly amazing feats of inventiveness. Building around a particular card or theme is not something that should, or necessarily can be acknowledged. It is only polished, optimized deck lists that deserve recognition, and even then, in Gwent, I would not be surprised if multiple people independently obtain very similar or identical lists.

The discard vypper in your opp graveyard and using imposter ability was definitely "invented" by somebody. It was then stream by a few youtube streamers, some later than others. I doubt 2 person came out with the same idea after 2 or 3 weeks.

Specimen Gwent (as far as I know) also came out with some unique decks. Some was not competitive and not much people followed. Some were good and changes were made on it by a few others to made it even better.
Post automatically merged:

The discard vypper in your opp graveyard and using imposter ability was definitely "invented" by somebody. It was then stream by a few youtube streamers, some later than others. I doubt 2 person came out with the same idea after 2 or 3 weeks.

Specimen Gwent (as far as I know) also came out with some unique decks. Some was not competitive and not much people followed. Some were good and changes were made on it by a few others to made it even better.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I don't think there is any fun in watching Battle Rush games. Mostly it is just play-play-play-play-play.. The streamers wont even have time to see the chat or make any comment. So, I think Battle Rush is the worst seasonal mode for streamers/content-creators. Imagine a streamer or content creator playing battle rush. It is funny, but in a sad way.

Most other seasonal modes are broken or "there is this one obviously superior deck which will rule seasonal mode or its counter which has a remote chance to win". I don't think there has been a balanced season mode ever. Mostly it favors one or two decks max and the streamer/content-creator is going to face those decks 90% of the time. Quickly the stream/video will become boring.

Also, seasonal mode games videos become quickly irrelevant. The next season, no one is going to watch it. Other videos, even though they may be a little off meta (except for the stupid forking SK whose warrior list is still relevant and strong after 5 or 6 months) still people can learn somethings from them.

So, I am not sure if it is a good thing for streamers/content-creators to venture into seasonal mode. Some are good and some are decent to play, but seasonal mode games are useless for content-creators.

I understand your points about BattleRush. Maybe im just being selfish - im a very rushed player, who plays fast and gets frustrated when players take too long (forfeit regularly when players take too long, even if i expected to win), so i would also like to watch streamers play fast instead of taking ages (maybe that's one of the reasons i like Habbla so much, since he edits out wait times)

I think watching/playing Battlerush with brainless thrive/pointslam decks isnt worth it, but it can definitely be amusing trying to make some complex decks work on this mode.

And i dont think just because a faction/deck often dominates seasonal modes is a reason to avoid it, since standard modes suffer the same issue - i've seen plenty of videos where the creator faces 4/5 consecutive matches of opponents using the same metacrap and they still put it out.
Of course it would be better if it was more diverse, but for that the creator must be lucky or (more likely) will have to play way more matches and assemble the ones with different matchups.

Since we are talking about streamers, I observe something in recent weeks.

Many of them decide to play Vypper deck and a few did not even acknowledge the guy who made it.

Though they did not specifically said they are the creator, some viewers misunderstood and thought they invented the deck. They did not clarify too. This to me is not cool. Kind of like copyright infringement. Even if you change a few cards, at least you contributed but if you copy exact same deck, you should acknowledge the creator.

To be fair, Freddy and trynet usually do mentioned it is not their own creation.

I was disappointed a few did not.

That is a very interesting subject - acknowledging the creators of different strategies.

Unfortunately, there is no good way to do it. To find out who's the 1st to come up with it. Because if its an unknown player, it will never get credit for it, then comes a creator/streamer and popularizes it and is able to get credit for it without doing anything.

The Vyyper deck is a great example. I even posted on this forum about it the first time i faced it, how it surprised me, and naively, i assumed the player i saw using it was the creator. And do take note this was BEFORE Freddybabes and all other streamers did their videos on it, so none of them were the actual creators of the deck im sure, as there were players using it and talking about it before any videos came out.

Last edited:
I understand your points about BattleRush. Maybe im just being selfish - im a very rushed player, who plays fast and gets frustrated when players take too long (forfeit regularly when players take too long, even if i expected to win), so i would also like to watch streamers play fast instead of taking ages (maybe that's one of the reasons i like Habbla so much, since he edits out wait times)

I think watching/playing Battlerush with brainless thrive/pointslam decks isnt worth it, but it can definitely be amusing trying to make some complex decks work on this mode.

And i dont think just because a faction/deck often dominates seasonal modes is a reason to avoid it, since standard modes suffer the same issue - i've seen plenty of videos where the creator faces 4/5 consecutive matches of opponents using the same metacrap and they still put it out.
Of course it would be better if it was more diverse, but for that the creator must be lucky or (more likely) will have to play way more matches and assemble the ones with different matchups.

That is a very interesting subject - acknowledging the creators of different strategies.

Unfortunately, there is no good way to do it. To find out who's the 1st to come up with it. Because if its an unknown player, it will never get credit for it, then comes a creator/streamer and popularizes it and is able to get credit for it without doing anything.

The Vyyper deck is a great example. I even posted on this forum about it the first time i faced it, how it surprised me, and naively, i assumed the player i saw using it was the creator. And do take note this was BEFORE Freddybabes and all other streamers did their videos on it, so none of them were the actual creators of the deck im sure, as there were players using it and talking about it before any videos came out.

Yes but out of those who stream the deck, Trynet and Freddy are the only ones who mentioned it is not theirs.

And I often hear trynet say. I am not playing my deck today.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yes but out of those who stream the deck, Trynet and Freddy are the only ones who mentioned it is not theirs.

And I often hear trynet say. I am not playing my deck today.

You're right - its hard to find out the creator, but the streamers who do clear out that they're not the ones who came up with the deck they're using, they deserve praise for that action, a good step in this 'copyrights' business.

Yeah, personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal, and in fact when mentioning "creators" of decks they're playing, more often than not what they actually mean is the deck was "brought" by the "creator" to a tournament. Otherwise, it's pretty hard to lay claim to creating anything in Gwent, and even when it's warranted, like when Speci "invented" the Schirru deck a few months ago, I remember playing a similar Schirru deck before MM, and a month after Speci "invented" it, it was known - after maybe a tweak - as "Magpie's Schirru" or "Paja Schirru" or whatever, again, BECAUSE one of those guys brought the tweaked deck to a tournament.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you're a streamer, it's nice to mention if the deck you're playing is your homebrew or someone else's, but I don't really care, because chances are you're probably wrong :D

its funny, someone just up another DRK topic and in that topic he was blaming about team leviathan and aretuza for create "the metas" and everyone copys that.

But know DRK just create a topic to praise some streamers.

For me both has the same isue about create decks and everyone copy it

DRK3

Forum veteran
its funny, someone just up another DRK topic and in that topic he was blaming about team leviathan and aretuza for create "the metas" and everyone copys that.

But know DRK just create a topic to praise some streamers.

For me both has the same isue about create decks and everyone copy it

Fair point. Its true, im very critical of the biggest Gwent teams and their meta reports, for establishing metas, reducing deck diversity and driving players away from the so-called 'homebrews'.

And i believe its also true, that the Gwent creators and streamers have a similar effect on the meta, so they're also partially to blame for the stale metas.
However, this topic was created not just to praise these players in general, but for users to debate about them, praise the better ones, criticize the worse ones, sharing opinions and how they could improve their content.

Fair point. Its true, im very critical of the biggest Gwent teams and their meta reports, for establishing metas, reducing deck diversity and driving players away from the so-called 'homebrews'.

And i believe its also true, that the Gwent creators and streamers have a similar effect on the meta, so they're also partially to blame for the stale metas.
However, this topic was created not just to praise these players in general, but for users to debate about them, praise the better ones, criticize the worse ones, sharing opinions and how they could improve their content.
Yes, i understood your topic. I Just used that Word - praise - because i didnt know how to use a better description.

But I agree with you in both statments, team leviatham and aretuza and Also streammers make The meta

But I agree with you in both statments, team leviatham and aretuza and Also streammers make The meta
I disagree. The meta is shaped 1. by a design philosophy where effective decks revolve around an extremely narrow handful of deck-defining cards, rendering other cards in the deck irrelevant and other deck designs unviable 2. by players who focus more on easy results than creativity, 3. By tools that make copying posted decks trivial.

I think meta reports and streamer demonstrations are a distant fourth and on the whole are healthy for the game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I disagree. The meta is shaped 1. by a design philosophy where effective decks revolve around an extremely narrow handful of deck-defining cards, rendering other cards in the deck irrelevant and other deck designs unviable 2. by players who focus more on easy results than creativity, 3. By tools that make copying posted decks trivial.

I think meta reports and streamer demonstrations are a distant fourth and on the whole are healthy for the game.

Well, its obvious the 1st factor in creating the meta comes from the devs and their card design, and this can't simply be removed from the equation, or we wouldnt have new cards. And i dont think changing the design philosophy would drive the playerbase into more creative deckbuilding, they will always go for the most simple/efficient.

Like you said, the deck-sharing tools have become too good. Back on beta, there were a few sites with deck sharing, but because they werent official, something with a direct link to the game, it was harder for both the player sharing and the one looking it up.

The meta reports are the epitome of 'someone else doing all the work for you' - they give you the deck, with a detailed guide, post possible replacements, say which matchups are good and bad for that deck, even make a tier rank, which makes players flock to the top ones.

I dont think the teams making these reports are the only ones at fault though, the playerbase looking for an easy time are culprits too - its like the pro teams are the drug suppliers, the meta reports are the drugs, and the playerbase are the drug buyers/users... And the best solution is always to target a problem at its source (im not suggesting a ban on these, as they're not doing anything illegal, but the negative effects are still there)

Actually I thank the teams for making life (playing the game easier).

Even if they're no reports, many will still end up playing the same few decks, it just take longer.

When u play against a good deck and lose a few times , its human nature to then try to copy it.

Just looking at the graveyard a few times and it can be done.

Again just takes a little more time.

This is an interesting post. Of all the streamers mentioned above Ace of Plays is probably the nicest to watch. He's not the best player, but because of that people identify with him more than with other streamers who win 80 to 90% of their games. His gameplay has improved greatly in the past few months.

Trynet although a very good player, is not particularly interesting to watch. He looks bored most of the times, you can tell this is just his "job".

Fuchsia Briefs is also another interesting player, although his decks are a little finicky to play.

Gone Gwenting is a player I respect, considering he's relatively new to gwent.

On the international side there are two Italian streamers that should be mentioned.

One is Zio Maruth (Maruth24) a good player and creator "on the fly" of new decks. With a very funny and entertaining style.

Second is Clauz86. A top player, who ended the season in the top 10 or 15 of pro rank. An eloquent streamer with a very easy going approach to the game.

Of course, they stream in Italian.

Top Bottom