Why i think this game deserves more praise despite the issues

+
YES! Sucked me in for 260h - I did everything I could in there =) The side content is so good - I think the only reason to have main quest called "main quest" is so you dont finish it too soon - but in therms of quallity - there is basically no main and side quests, its all interlocking web of THE STORY OF V.

I hope they fix it up. Altho I didn't have it as broken as what I keep seeing in meme compilations.

I'd like to ride the train in there, and to have police/gangs to be bit more complex, using cars, ambushing player etc. something that would make becomming cyberpsycho a thing actually.

And lastly - people need to stop calling this reskinned GTA. It really is nothing like GTA. And people parroting this brain vomit are clearly ignorant or they judge CP2077 from meme videos and screenshots.

It's like saying that Hitman is reskinned Manhunt game. Just stop and think for your self damit xD

Last edited:
I'm not a gamemagazine-follower, if you know what I mean. But game star hat a few weeks earlier a kind of disput with their
no worries m8...
i totaly can agree on that
i did like Odyssey more the Valhalla...
because of the loot it got a better replay value for me (i also liked the story more and had high hopes for Valhalla, which ended up a downcut version of Odyssey.. my personal opinion)

but wouldnt it be booring if we all had the same taste? ^^

iam a Star Citizen backer...
that "game" gets changed like every few months...
its a complete difrent game from what was advertised 2012

in Manchester at the CitizenCon Chris Roberts told everyone
You dont need food or drinks... its only give you buffs
One month later you die withoud food and water

so what?
its a creative prozess and things change
some stuff gets better... some stuff that dosnt fit anymore gets cut

StarCitizen shows you all the joy and crazy stuff

Hey I am also Star Citizen backer, and when I saw the NPCs standing inside of each other, or some animations spazing out, but all that contrasted by absolutely stunning visual presentation at unbelivably massive scale and detail - I felt right at home xD

I have played 2 V's stories completely and have a V with very close to "all" the content done and several other Vs in various stages of interest in them. I'm still finding options in conversations and even side quests that I have somehow never seen - even though I have a V with a nearly empty map...

Are there things that could be better? Hell yes, from big things often discussed to "small" things that are mostly personal preference that I think would improve the game.

But I'm still loving diving into CP2077 and finding new corners and approaches to problems (I rescued Saul today in a completely new way for me...)

I agree about being able to pay the rent, there should be some "you have 2 weeks to pay or else" thing, but...

The mail about not paying rent makes sense, you have been missing for at least 1 week possibly for as many as 3 since the heist. There is various information in the game supporting this, so it isn't a surprise that your land lord is chasing you.
This is before the heist, it's after you save that girl from the intro mission and Jackie drops you off and borrows your car.

your standards aren't higher, you just prefer different things. The ending is different depending on what you pick, but the cyberpunk genre won't generally have endings that are complete uppers. The setting is a dystopian world. Its fair to say, this game just isn't what you would want, but it would never be, because you don't like the basic premise of its game design. They decided years ago it was going to have rpg loot mechanics and an rpg level of action combat.
No. I really do have standards and remind people of the promises made.

Hey I am also Star Citizen backer, and when I saw the NPCs standing inside of each other, or some animations spazing out, but all that contrasted by absolutely stunning visual presentation at unbelivably massive scale and detail - I felt right at home xD
at last the npc dont stand on chairs^^ lol
and honestly...
i realy love the facial animations in Cyberpunk
not my V
but this just looks amazing

this game isn't all about collecting loot though, and yes Baldur's gate 3 is based on dungeons and dragons 5e so yes different higher level loot, and loot with unique stats will drop more often against stronger enemies.

you don't seem opposed to the loot system, you seem more opposed to the rate at which loot numbers change. The truth is its not that important, you only need to upgrade your gear every 5-7 levels, you can probably go for 10 levels pretty easily, and you only need like level 35-40 to do all the content in the game. The loot is actually more about getting money/resources

you can play Cyberpunk as a crafter and make and upgrade your own loot. you can buy gear, or you can not even use weapons that require loot at all. You can play hand to hand, or quickhacking or stealth.
I do not know what the loot system in BG3 will ultimately be like. I suspect they'll do a lot more hand-placed loot and a fair bit less of the random loot grind that I recall from the DOS games, but that isn't going to be super clear until the game is out of EA. Previous BG games had almost everything hand-placed. It made for good exploration (unless players memorized where stuff was and then just beelined for it, but that's a player choice), and the unique things mostly felt pretty good. Like they were a step up from regular stuff.

As far as this game is concerned, I would be a much bigger fan if they simply removed item levels. Or made everything item level 20 and removed the level gating. That way a gun is a gun and it does what guns do, no matter who you are. But if you have gun skills and perks then you can do things so much more efficiently. You're quite right that you don't "have to" keep changing gear, but it is certain that unless you go the crafting route and keep upgrading your special gun that you've gone through a lot with, then you will quickly find similar guns that simply have much better stats. And as much as I want to be nostalgic, there's just not much reason in-game to not replace your gun.

Clothing is a little bit easier, at least. The difference between item level 15 and item level 35 is not that great, so the loss when picking based on style rather than stats is not that great.

You're quite right about picking up everything and either selling for money or breaking down. I have to admit that I got a bit fed up with that, though. It just wasn't adding any fun after having done it for the first 100+ hours or so. But I probably wouldn't mind it too much if I could count on other assault rifles I pick up being about comparable with the one I have, unless the one I have is legendary and the stuff I'm picking up is whites and greens.

Post automatically merged:

That's from the "professional" reviewers... You know, the people who didn't notice the AI wasn't working.

Last edited:
I do not know what the loot system in BG3 will ultimately be like. I suspect they'll do a lot more hand-placed loot and a fair bit less of the random loot grind that I recall from the DOS games, but that isn't going to be super clear until the game is out of EA. Previous BG games had almost everything hand-placed. It made for good exploration (unless players memorized where stuff was and then just beelined for it, but that's a player choice), and the unique things mostly felt pretty good. Like they were a step up from regular stuff.

As far as this game is concerned, I would be a much bigger fan if they simply removed item levels. Or made everything item level 20 and removed the level gating. That way a gun is a gun and it does what guns do, no matter who you are. But if you have gun skills and perks then you can do things so much more efficiently. You're quite right that you don't "have to" keep changing gear, but it is certain that unless you go the crafting route and keep upgrading your special gun that you've gone through a lot with, then you will quickly find similar guns that simply have much better stats. And as much as I want to be nostalgic, there's just not much reason in-game to not replace your gun.

Clothing is a little bit easier, at least. The difference between item level 15 and item level 35 is not that great, so the loss when picking based on style rather than stats is not that great.

You're quite right about picking up everything and either selling for money or breaking down. I have to admit that I got a bit fed up with that, though. It just wasn't adding any fun after having done it for the first 100+ hours or so. But I probably wouldn't mind it too much if I didn't constantly had to
Post automatically merged:

That's from the "professional" reviewers... You know, the people who didn't notice the AI wasn't working.
Professional media is only useful when they praise this game...

no worries m8...
i totaly can agree on that
i did like Odyssey more the Valhalla...
because of the loot it got a better replay value for me (i also liked the story more and had high hopes for Valhalla, which ended up a downcut version of Odyssey.. my personal opinion)

but wouldnt it be booring if we all had the same taste? ^^
I actually prefer sistems like Valhalla, Mass Effect 2/3, or Deus Ex. It feels more natural and realistc, but I can understand why many people may prefer a more statistica based loot system

at last the npc dont stand on chairs^^ lol
and honestly...
i realy love the facial animations in Cyberpunk
not my V
but this just looks amazing

Oh yea, The animation of characters is amazing - Last time I had "OMG Im playing a movie" feeling was back when Half-life 2 floored everyone in 2004 with their (at that time) life like facial animations.

Even the look the common NPCs give you as they pass - especailly the babes - they would never give me that look IRL I tell you that. And it's not cheezy rubber-deprface - no no, Very well made =)

I don't think so.
Every success have it's own reason, but most failure are same.
If CDPR want get more praise, they have to get out of these shit first.
It's something... not deserve to called as an AAA game.
I know they may finished 80% work and just make a little stupid decision.
But that's why success is rare, you have to finish hundreds thing well to make it right, and few mistake would ruin everything.
You should satisfied there still many people trust CDPR can fix the problem while they have the right to refund and angry with them.
People don't care about why and if you are wrong or if you deserve better.
Becasue they paid, failure is not acceptable.
CDPR work hard would never be a reason about why PS4 player can't play the game they paid normally.
That's why public relations expert would told you, keep silence while you make failure, especially not try to defend yourself.
Just make a solid plan about what will change and how and when, then keep doing.

I absolutely love the game and definitely praises its strengths. That being the characters and their stories. Nothing too mind-blowing or anything that's as deep as the Mariana's Trench or as preachy as our town priest. Just the right amount of intrigue and profoundness to keep me wanting to talk and listen to the characters and feel something. Bugs can be waited out and some fundamental issues like OP progression don't bother me personally cause there will be mods that'll take care of that for sure like TW3's Enhanced Edition.

But the side stories are just too scarce outside the key character quests compared to their last game. As if it took a step down in side quest storytelling. And the key characters are well written sure. But the time spent with them to grow that bond with felt like it was cut short.

I just hope they add more stories as there were just so many wacky, profound, scary, and enraging situations Geralt was put in in TW3 and I went in this expecting the same amount if not more of it.

I honestly don't understand why sitting down or eating at a booth defines how good a game is. An rpg does not require sitting mechanics to be good. That will never enter my list of must haves for a good rpg. For 50 years in rpg gaming, no game systems touted their sitting mechanics.

would it be cool if some of those features existed? sure, does it mean the game is not good if it doesn't? for me and many others, not really. When a game can't do everything the mind can come up with, thats when you use your imagination. No game is currently going to recreate life totally.

Also, the game is not on rails. except main story, which is not the majority of the content. You don't need to loot anything, or shoot anything outside main story.
But honestly I think you could say that about almost all features, the game doesn't require you to be able to use different weapons, just a single gun is fine. Why bother with letting you get different cars, just make it like a single "batmobile", gigs not really needed, romantic options is not required either, as you have the main quest so just follow that.

But when we talk RPG, people expect that you can change weapons and armors, that the world at least to some degree tries to immerse the player into it. Look at how many lore items are in the game, TV shows talking about what is going on, why is that needed?

To me, sure you could cut all the way into the bone in a RPG game, and remove all things that is not immediately important for the main story, but overall it ruins the experience.

Take Fallout 4, when they decided that it was a good idea to cut the dialog system to an almost bare minimum, removing most of the options for interacting, asking questions and get clarifications from NPCs, because they worked on the assumption that players wouldn't care to read these things anyway. That alone decreased the RPG quality of the game a whole lot, compared to former Fallout games.

CDPR did kind of the same in CP, and even worse in some degree, simply by using different colors for you responses, because yellow mean push the story forward and blue means get information. So you basically only have 2 options in CP, where most yellow options lead to the same thing anyway. The mere fact that the player is made aware which options push forward dialog, is ruining a lot of the RPG elements in my opinion, because you as player might not especially choose to say stuff based on what you feel you should, but rather because you ought to say blue before yellow, as you might miss out on things otherwise.

RPG games I would assume is one of the most difficult types of games to do well, but cutting down features as the solution, is not something that benefits them in my opinion.

I think a lot of it also comes down to how they structure their games, because we know that you as player can buy food from certain NPCs, so that functionality is already in the game. So couldn't that feature or AI simply have been copied or applied to all food vendors? We know that you can sit on certain chairs, yet most of them you can't, why isn't such feature simply copied to all chairs, when added to the game world with a standard animation of V sitting down. It might not be used a whole lot, but since the feature is already implemented and they still have to add all the chairs to the world, it shouldn't be that huge a problem.

The biggest issue, is that the food/drink system is not very well implemented in the game, to the point where it is useless. If they however had made sure that it was and eating and drinking for instance lasted a lot longer, so you only had to eat and drink a few time a day, but the benefits were much greater and had a much higher cost than it has now, it could be a useful feature in my opinion. Like certain food increasing "Amount of street cred earn" others "Chance to critical strike" and so forth, but you could only have one of these buffs at the time. But the various systems in the game doesn't really play well together, like food being made obsolete simply from being able to spam healing items.

resisted for a long time the urge to comment on what's going on in this kind of threads,
all that'll be said here is :

if you're here to have a good time and share it with others
please feel welcome (and make ample use of the ignore function)

if you're not .... that's quite sad, please take a long look in the mirror
and reevaluate your life priorities

This is very important. Forum is a way to express your experience with the game. While not everybody may share your view, it doesn't matter. My experience at least isn't retroactively going trough some magical transformation because of other people may have had different expectations for game.

+100. I have been thinking this myself but have not found the words to express it. You said it very well here.

In short.

What "mature" players think mature content is:
Fancy toilet flushing animations, naked screen shots, pron BDs.

vs.

What mature content actually is:
"The way it persues themes that 90% of games would never dare to look into..."

Cheers Chooms.

Yeah, simply put, some paths are mutually exclusive.

TT role-playing games had loot, but not endless amounts of loot, because that's just more administration that practically nobody finds the least bit interesting. Having loot does not make something a looter game.

Dropping huge amounts of loot all the time and constantly challenging the player to check it out and pick the best gear and constantly change equipment is looter gameplay.

Having a bit of loot drop here and there for players to maybe pick up and sell, maybe even get their hopes up about a quality item, until the end of a quest or a dungeon or what have you where a really good item actually is found, that is typical role-playing. Except sometimes you stumble over something really good just hiding in plain sight, that you might have completely overlooked.

Diablo and clones are not RPGs, by the way. Borderlands games are not RPGs. Now tell me what RPG has enormous amounts of loot with item levels drop all the time?

As for uninspired gameplay loop, try and consider exactly what you spend most of your time in the game doing. A lot of mine is spent on going to a spot, finding some regular gang members that don't have a clue they're about to die, then shooting them the same way I've shot hundreds of gang members before them. What part of that is inspired? The driving is boring because the city is so static and the physics are weird. The shooting itself feels nice, except at higher levels it is entirely without challenge and at lower levels the enemies are bullet sponges. And there is very little variety.

Then there are the missions of various kinds. Some of them are just talk. Some of them are "go to this place, kill people, trigger objective". You can of course sneak through a lot of missions, but sneaking is extremely random. A lot of the guards seem to have somewhat random movement patterns, which turns stealth into less of a plan and achieve kind of thing and more of a trial and error and lots of reloading kind of thing.

And then there's the stuff between gigs and quests and whatnot. What do you do? Just drive around? Try to find better gear? Check the shops for something cool on sale? Look for new chrome? Except there's never really anything "cool", in no small part because of how item levels work, and in part because vendor inventories are tiny and don't seem to refresh properly. Just look around for stuff to find? Not very rewarding because of item levels. Look around for dynamic events? There are very few of those in the game. Mostly the same thing just happens, over and over.

I guess its because I played the game differently than you.
my first char was almost all hand to hand, and a crafter. I looked at the crafting system and realized you can get more parts than you spend if you craft smart, and turn parts into whatever you need.

sadly I didn't realize you couldn't craft cyberware, so my first damage upgrade, gorilla arms wouldn't be available until street cred 20. So basically, loot barely mattered, it was mostly for parts/money, and if I really needed to I could make parts, quests generally gave enough money since I didnt need to buy stuff often.

so I upgraded every once in awhile, and generally enjoyed trying to come up with builds. in my other playthroughs, I figured out the game, and you can basically find legendary gear and iconics from specific content that you upgrade/change mods, so loot ain't that important even for gun chars I played.

as for the side quests, I realized blues are essentially unecessary, and didnt just look at quests as being about killing, most of them are little mini stories that give you insight into the world and npc lives. you read emails, over hear convos and read shards. So for me each quest was the puzzle of how to survive a gunfight with just fists, and figuring out what the story was on each case. I also mostly do quests as I feel interested, not as a checklist, so its mostly exploration for me, when they get kinda rote, I do something more focused

I still haven't done everything because I made new chars, different builds/identities, and usually ended the story around level 30-35. It was surprising how things take on a new light when I played dif. Its also surprising how things changed without you knowing. Meredith is killed if you don't side with her(you can find the body). If you tell Anna the cops betrayed her, she apparently goes to war with them instead of or in addition to skipping town. Many npcs get cemetery stones if they died. I could threaten woodsman that he'd end up like jotaro, if I did that quest.

for me the games got a lot to delve into, I learn new things all the time and a lot of different ways to approach things. Its not infinite, but I'm generally amazed how much work was put in. There are definite flaws, lots of perks/items don't work, shops crafting recipes are bugged. Can't replay a lot of side stuff you might want to, like competitions. The main story is really dense after the first time, and not as skippable as I'd like. There's also ways I'd improve/expand some of the content but overall, the game ranks high for me.

Interesting to see ratio between positive and negative is increased over time.
Not really all that surprising. The release version game was significantly more buggy and had worse performance than current version, so people who only join in now are going to have a better experience. It makes sense that this translates into a better ratio.

Also, a bit subjectively, I assume that most of the people who expected a deep role-playing game based on what CDPR were saying got it out of their system early on. I assume that most of the people reviewing now came into the game with an expectation of something with more of an Ubisoft open world feeling, meaning they have a better experience and this translates into more positives rather than negatives. But that is just me guessing.

Not to say that RDR2 story for example, is a mess. It drags for way too long. People complain about CP2077 and the chip false urgency, but it's way worse in RDR2 where it's basically a loop of "Hey guys, I've got a plan, let's do this one last time" -> fails horribly -> "Hey guys, I've got an even better plan to make things right, let's do this one last time" -> fails horribly -> "Hey guys..."

I seriously started questionning Arthur's sanity and ability to make decisions on his own when reaching the 4th chapter ; 4th and 5th chapter are unnecessary and a drag.

And icing on the cake : nobody complained then about Arthur
dying from tuberculosis
yet having time to hunt legendary animals and do random side things for as long as you wanted. The trope is exactly the same as in CP2077 with the chip.
I didn't like the story. And Rockstar gives you no choice, either. I would have blown Dutch a bullet between the eyes after a hour. Maybe two. Arthur is such a moron in this point. And I wouldn't have
threaten the sick familyfather for 30$, rather put the few bucks in of my own pocket. I'm a friendly person. So he never would cough on Arthur and infect him. Although there were speculations that the whitehairguy (forgot his name) had TB, too and maybe he infected Arthur. But it doesn't matter at the end.
If my decision would have matter, Dutch would be death, Arthur would be the boss for a weeks until he can ride with his old love Mary? in the sunset. Instead poor Arthur gets thinner, weaker and sicker :giveup:, assh*le Dutch is still breathing, Mary says bye and put a few flowers on my grave. Wonderful.
I hated it! It was torture playing it. Never get above Cap. 3 after the first playthrough.

But there is a difference between Arthur and V.
V gets the information that he have 2 weeks and have to hurry if he want to survive. In the moment when the Doktor told Arthur that he has TB he gave him the death sentence. So if a deathly sick man wants to go hunting and find his peace in nature and train robberies, why he shouldn't? There is nothing he can do, to avoid his death. V believes he/she can.
Not the same.

Top Bottom