[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
imagine sleeping the whole time in that akward position.

This one? :p
sle.png

A person on reddit has the idea that the whole game is just an illusion and that V did not wake up after going to bed after saving Dorsett.

As i've written before. The sleeping position of V is one of the biggest giveaways about who's actually controlling the body. It changes to normal when you're Johnny or after Arasaka cut around in Vs brain *nods sagely* :D

Imo, they just made a bet that an overdramatic fatal ending would be more edgy memorable than a more neutral, or somehow boring, ending (like compatibility between V and J, which would make sense). Probably cause they had to wrap up the script unexpectedly (to me it feels like there should have been more before the "no return point", lots of YouTubers I watch are surprised that it comes too early and I was surprised too).

I do agree somewhat with this. Keep in mind that, from what I remember, CDPR revealed time ago that the main story was going to be shortened because they wanted more players to finish the game. According to their data too many players did not finish TW3 due to the main story being too long. I disagreed with this reasoning back then but was willing to see how it turned out and keep an open mind given they had data I did not.

I feel more strongly now that this was a mistake. It did felt too short for me. I still believe the lack of time is at the culprit for the overall story issues, how the last act/endings and wrap up turned out. It does seem like a "Bioware magic" case all over again. However, I still think CDPR are working hard to not end up like BW.

That's a shame cause obviously 2021 DLCs won't continue the story (there were some official posts about that), and even if there were plans to continue the whole story later in 5-10 years, the first impression has already been made.

Can you help me with the source or clarify a little bit?, I'm aware DLCs are not really story based, this is nothing new for CDPR but major expansions are, and those will come (however they'll be delayed). So, why are you so sure non of the major expansions will expand on the story? Maybe I'm just confusing DLC with expansions. I'm genuinely curious, not trying to sound combative or the like.

for me... i don't want the endings to completely throw me out of my immersion every time i reach them, for no other reason then; they can't be bothered to write a story that actually has some thought put into it (i've done 2 full 200+ hour playthroughs). every time i get to the bit about how V's body is rejecting her/his engram because the dna in their body is now johnny's dna, and for whatever reason their immune system is now attacking the engram or something (i'm not even sure that's what's happening in the explanation we're given)... can someone explain how any part of that makes any kind of sense? until that is fixed i will never be ok with cp2077. like i said earlier, i'd be perfectly happy with a dlc opening with V and their LI at a ripperdoc and the doc stating: "engram being rejected because of dna, who the hell told you that, your engram is just digital data, there's nothing physical about it, let alone biological. someone's been having some fun with you. as for the blood, you basically had brain surgery and didn't rest and recuperate... i'd be concerned if you were perfectly fine, so get some damn rest."

Can you help me with the source or clarify a little bit?, I'm aware DLCs are not really story based, this is nothing new for CDPR but major expansions are, and those will come (however they'll be delayed). So, why are you so sure non of the major expansions will expand on the story? Maybe I'm just confusing DLC with expansions. I'm genuinely curious, not trying to sound combative or the like.

Just about 10-20 pages back in this thread I think, soon after the official video announcement (2021 patches timeline) there was a screenshot of a post from the devs that said smth like "there won't be changes to the story".

As for the major expansions, what I meant in the post is that even if those appear in a year or two, the first impression has already been made -- not looking forward to V having another plot cancer or figuring out this was all a dream (what are the other cliches left?).

Just about 10-20 pages back in this thread I think, soon after the official video announcement (2021 patches timeline) there was a screenshot of a post from the devs that said smth like "there won't be changes to the story".

As for the major expansions, what I meant in the post is that even if those appear in a year or two, the first impression has already been made -- not looking forward to V having another plot cancer or figuring out this was all a dream (what are the other cliches left?).

You're right, I miss read you, you were specifically referring to 2021 DLCs as well. My bad.

The endings are comparable to Deckard surviving the encounter with Roy Betty, realising that synthetic life is also life, drives back to get Rachel, who he does not want to retire anymore, only to both getting shot by Gaff before reaching the car.

IGN 10/10. Perfectly dark outcome.

Hur hur - i would have loved that :D

I feel like they tried to pull off the Bladerunner ending but completely fucked it over by overexplaining and trying too much.

In movie it didn't matter who Decker was, it was all about who makes us human and that nobody has enough time to experience what they want.
Post automatically merged:

The endings are comparable to Deckard surviving the encounter with Roy Betty, realising that synthetic life is also life, drives back to get Rachel, who he does not want to retire anymore, only to both getting shot by Gaff before reaching the car.

IGN 10/10. Perfectly dark outcome.
No, I feel like the endings in the game would depict the lines of Gaff : "Too bad she won't live.... but then again, who does" to "Too bad she won't live" and then movie ends. That is how the endings of the game kind of feel.

I feel like they tried to pull off the Bladerunner ending but completely fucked it over by overexplaining and trying too much.

In movie it didn't matter who Decker was, it was all about who makes us human and that nobody has enough time to experience what they want.
Post automatically merged:

No, I feel like the endings in the game would depict the lines of Gaff : "Too bad she won't live.... but then again, who does" to "Too bad she won't live" and then movie ends. That is how the endings of the game kind of feel.
Please forgive me the tendency to over - xaggerate when I try to be sarcastic.

V dies in every ending!

Is this what I spend my money and time on???

I am not paying for a game where every ending is bad! What a waste of my time.
I bought this game because I was hoping for a good time. And spending my time playing as V just to find out I can't save my protagonist?

I haven't finished the game and took a sneak peek by opening some spoilers on the net. I wanted to see if my choices were right. I turned out that no matter what I did V would still die!

I'm sick and tired of games using drama and sorrow to catch their audience! Why couldn't you have left just one single ending option where everything went well? Why???

You simply have to create an ending where Arasaka cures V as gratitude for revealing Yorinobu's patricide. Period!

How do you think you could go and make a game where the hero dies right after the shitstorm Bioware experienced after Mass Effect 3?

This is not a good game for me. Not at all. I don't spend my spare time just to be confronted with sadness and despair! I'm starting to dislike game developers. The game leaves me with a bad experience.
And at some extend I am actually mad at you for this. I don't play game to achieve bad feelings. I'm not a masochist. As if there aren't enough shit in this world now the games also reflect this?

I preordered the game to support you, because of your company politics.
Now I just hope some dedicated modders are able to create a happy ending mod like they did for Mass Effect 3.

And before you laugh: I'm a 56 year old male from Denmark who's played it all. I started back in 1995 with Duke Nukem, Quake, Tomb Raider, Unreal Tournament and turned to RPG's later on.

I also don't give a damn about what everyone else could comment under this. It's my personal opinion on games trying to (mis-) use people's feelings to create something unforgettable. But why not try to create something unforgettable in a GOOD way? Or is this much to hard for you?

To be honest I think this is a real damn shame. You made such a beautiful game with all the features and fancy graphics and effects. And then you blow it it all away with missing the fact that some gamers don't suck for bad endings?
Call me old-fashioned. I don't give a damn!

To be honest I don't think I'm going to finish this game. I'm going back to Fallout 4, Skyrim, ME Andromeda or even Dragon Age Inquisition.

I want a happy ending! Go make one!

V dies in every ending!

Not really, but it is implied she/he has a limited time to live

Is this what I spend my money and time on???

Yes

I am not paying for a game where every ending is bad! What a waste of my time.
I bought this game because I was hoping for a good time. And spending my time playing as V just to find out I can't save my protagonist?

You already paid for it based on what you wrote down here. Well yea, not every story is a happy ending. Not every story needs to have one.

I haven't finished the game and took a sneak peek by opening some spoilers on the net. I wanted to see if my choices were right. I turned out that no matter what I did V would still die!

Its tough, maybe its karma for spoilering your own game for you. I mean why?

I'm sick and tired of games using drama and sorrow to catch their audience! Why couldn't you have left just one single ending option where everything went well? Why???

You simply have to create an ending where Arasaka cures V as gratitude for revealing Yorinobu's patricide. Period!

Ye that would fix the game for sure, def. no other issues with it.
How do you think you could go and make a game where the hero dies right after the shitstorm Bioware experienced after Mass Effect 3?

Shepard "dying" was not the problem with Mass effect 3's ending.

This is not a good game for me. Not at all. I don't spend my spare time just to be confronted with sadness and despair! I'm starting to dislike game developers. The game leaves me with a bad experience.
And at some extend I am actually mad at you for this. I don't play game to achieve bad feelings. I'm not a masochist. As if there aren't enough shit in this world now the games also reflect this?

Do not play the game then. Plenty of other games out there with a feel good vibe and positive ending, where the good guys always triumph

I preordered the game to support you, because of your company politics.
Now I just hope some dedicated modders are able to create a happy ending mod like they did for Mass Effect 3.

You mean the crunch time their devs. had to endure that kind of politics? Or is it the great marketing ploy that turned out to be an utter hoax to trick people into buying a game that was allegedly only released when it was ready and delayed multiple times to "iron out" the last bugs; nvm that the game is such a buggy mess that is unfinished and flatout broken in some parts to a point that its constantly crashing.. those kind of company politics?

And before you laugh: I'm a 56 year old male from Denmark who's played it all. I started back in 1995 with Duke Nukem, Quake, Tomb Raider, Unreal Tournament and turned to RPG's later on.
Thats good for you! I have no idea what that has to do with anything. Dukem nukem and quake are all solid games with a happy positive ending, im sure of it.

I also don't give a damn about what everyone else could comment under this. It's my personal opinion on games trying to (mis-) use people's feelings to create something unforgettable. But why not try to create something unforgettable in a GOOD way? Or is this much to hard for you?

Oh people will not forget this game do not worry. But its not because the story is "sad".. or wether it was created in a good way

To be honest I think this is a real damn shame. You made such a beautiful game with all the features and fancy graphics and effects. And then you blow it it all away with missing the fact that some gamers don't suck for bad endings?
Call me old-fashioned. I don't give a damn!

Good for you

To be honest I don't think I'm going to finish this game. I'm going back to Fallout 4, Skyrim, ME Andromeda or even Dragon Age Inquisition.

I want a happy ending! Go make one!

lol

It's a symptom of contemporary storytelling. There is no such thing as a Happy Ending (unless you go to certain Massage Parlors favored by NFL Team Owners - ba dum tish).

One could argue that in a dystopian world where most existence is miserable, there is no place for happy endings. Then there's the artifice of leaving it open-ended without making immutable decisions to complicate how DLCs back into the story.

1. There's already a thread on this (discussing endings and in specific the lack of a "happy" ending)

2. Have you never seen a sad movie before??

Top Bottom