The lack of 3rd person view

+
But you can see the other players aim down sights on your screen. That's why I'm thinking they don't have a separate model...they don't need one because they still have to animate the "aim down" right for others to see.
They absolutely do. The fact that you CAN see this "aim down sights" animation (and it looks good from a 3rd person perspective) is THE reason they have to have two models. Again, because "aiming down sights" in first person requires unnatural twisting of hands to make it look good for a first-person-view camera, so the same model can't be used.

Actually, scratch that - perhaps I misspoke - the same "model" could be used, but the rigging can't (so you're still effectively rendering two different things). However generally, for most multiplayer FPS games at least, the 3rd person model WILL be different from the 1st person one, because the level of detail differs; in 1st person you need to render hands and a weapon (if the game in question doesn't "show your own body" from this perspective), so that gets more attention to detail (plus detailed reload animations and such).

However generally, for most multiplayer FPS games at least, the 3rd person model WILL be different from the 1st person one

Which, to me, doesn't make sense. Because the only change should be the camera. Like, when I 'aim down sights' in real life, I tilt my head; my 'camera' changes...a slight tilt in the view. But with a computer-rendered environment, you should just be able to not tilt the camera.

I suppose it depends on how they 'lock' the camera to the model.

((Which begs the question, why they don't just mimic the same 'camera' tilt we do in real life when aiming.))

---

To the general all:

"The report also revealed that while Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2012, full development began in 2016 when studio head Adam Badowski took over as director and overhauled the game, including shifting it from third-person to first-person."

This explains why there's things like: 3rd person view for driving (it was there from the start and kept likely for 'easy of use' for players) and 'cosmetics' (I don't know about you all, but I've only been in Photo Mode twice and I'm not paying much attention to my attire while driving).

((Which begs the question, why they don't just mimic the same 'camera' tilt we do in real life when aiming.))
I already wrote about that - you totally could have the same model for everything. But it would look or feel weird in 1st person. If you tilt the camera, then it would "feel" wrong, make it difficult to aim (check out how some pro players use sniper rifles; it's usually running around, then a quick aim then ADS then fire, all in a quick succession) and could cause motion sickness. And then you have aiming with a one-handed weapon, which would "look" wrong, as then the weapon would "seem" too small. Also, disregarding the fact that hip-firing isn't really a thing in real life - you would probably not see the weapon or would just see a fraction of it when in hip-fire position.

Last edited:
"- If you're wondering just how much Cyberpunk 2077 changed over the past decade: well, up until 2016, it was a third-person game. Features that were originally envisioned (wall-running, flying cars, car ambushes) were cut along the way (not atypical in game development)"
Here it is ladies and gentlemen - CDPR just went full CORPO Path

What third person could have looked like:

Lets be grateful they didn't do that as the only choice then, what I saw was the usual half drunk character as the player compensates to keep running straight. Corrections for maybe using 'two sticks?' to walk, run, go round corners (controlling the camera maybe?) every 3PP game play video I see shows that almost constant tweaking of direction movement to some degree? Obviously the better the player the less tweaking but you can not miss it normally, the whole video for me looks like an awful way to play compared to 1PP.

Which is why although I agree games should have both if possible, 1PP will always be the only 'real' look. That video shows a cinematic type way of looking at a game (that's how I'd describe it), may be enjoyable but seeing what you should not be seen from a 1PP camera always feels like some sort of cheating to me?

Have both if they can but for realism 1PP was the right decision, not offering both I do not understand?

Last edited:
I prefer first person view as well, is more immersive, but I thought this video in third person would be a better example than the modded one from Cyberpunk 2077 where the character model looks awful as seen in the video below:

OMG, I was laughing so much after a couple of min's I had tears running down my face, I think the voices in the background were doing the same. No disrespect to the MA and I know from other games/mods this is a lot of work but maybe 3PP players should keep talking to CDPR and hope they will consider 3PP themselves.

I suppose it all depends on how many players are asking, TBH although as I say I'm happy with them offering both 1PP & 3PP in any game. CDPR did state some while back "we are going for 1PP" with CP2077 so if a player absolutely hates (as in can not play) 1PP why buy it?

I don't normally buy 3PP because I suck at it but with my Razer Keypad and mouse setup it's a little easier than mouse and keyboard. It has a thumb stick for WASD so I can use it quite well with games setup just for consoles then ported to PC.

Thing is CP2077 was made for PC (which I believe is generally viewed as the dominant 1PP platform?) and was then ported to console so I've read. Makes a pleasant change to see a game made for a PC instead of a Port from the console game like Beth always does.

You can always try asking for a refund.
...after finishing the game like some people on here.

But yes, if you have kept up with the games development it was mention early on that it would be FP only. It also has been talked about during development.

I agree that with all the customization, even though you look like a clown in most attire, it would be nice to actually see your character while playing. You know... how the Witcher series are, 3rd person view.

I already wrote about that - you totally could have the same model for everything.
No,no, I meant in general; why don't FPS games mimic the tilt in viewing you get when you aim a rifle in real life.

It's not something I really thought of until this discussion.

Apologies for not being clear on that.

I can't see any actual benefit to there being a third person view apart from being able to stare at your own ass.

Indeed I think aiming guns would still have to be FPP, as would the scanner interface, which only leaves wandering around (and driving, obviously) as being suitable for TPP.

But I'm also not a particular fan that your body doesn't actually exist within the game world, even though it casts shadows and you can see your arms and legs. As an RTX On user, it's particularly disconcerting to see a body I'm carrying floating in mid-air in a reflection!

If they were to sort that, then it would naturally follow that they might as well then extend the existing TPP capability when driving to on-foot, even if it's a sub-optimal gameplay experience.

Once upon a time a certain game developing company announced a game called Cyberpunk 2077. Originally it was announced as an openworld rpg game in the cyberpunk genre and would handle a combination of 1st and 3rd person view. One could deduce several outcomes from what was described there, some of those being a 3rd person game with some parts in 1st person or a game that favors 1st person along with an optional 3rd person (like the Bethesda games).
I would have absolutely loved a 3rd person gameplay and cutscenes. It's odd that they didn't include it, at least optional.

Had it had a 3rd person option the game would have had a longer life. Waaaaay longer life. It would have given Skyrim a run for its money - maybe. I found myself uninterested in hair mods, for example, since I only get to see V while driving a motorbike.

Customizing a character and seeing it is part of the fun. You're making it your own. It would have helped, especially with the lack of dialogue choices. I feel like I'm the 3rd mind riding along with Johnny and V. I don't feel V is mine, it's just a vessel (yup, that's what V actually stands for) to carry on Johnny's story.

:oops:

Had it had a 3rd person option the game would have had a longer life. Waaaaay longer life. It would have given Skyrim a run for its money - maybe. I found myself uninterested in hair mods, for example, since I only get to see V while driving a motorbike.

Maybe, I only play 1PP and yet I still restart because of seeing my character in the 3PP at workbenches in Skyrim and I'm not happy with what I saw. Played over 7000 hours with Skyrim even more with Skyrim and Skyrim SE together, never used 3PP and I'll be totally honest 3PP will never push CP2077 to a 7000 hour game.

A solid Mod Community like Bethesda, well that may make the difference with longevity, not 3PP but it would not hurt if the Dev could add it in, the Mod 3PP so far looks awful.

The part of 1PP and 3PP that I don't understand is why character customisation and creation is such a big deal when in 1PP.

CDPR committed to 1PP a while back, why did they bother wasting time developing and changing the character creation elements when we don't see V at all really throughout the game. It would have saved time/effort in just giving people a gender option, and lets not even look at why was there is a 'genitals' option. :ok:

I think there's lots of issues like this in CP77, not huge gaping holes in the game just oversights that seem to me at least, like checkboxes used to click off aspects they wanted to include for an RPG.

How fortunate that many are more open-minded.

Oh come on, over the years many, many Beth gamers who add body mods and bikini armour to certain games have openly admitted they play 3PP just to watch the females backside or the bikini. What other reason could there be for it, I don't object to it being there but see nothing useful for immersion. There is cheating with the camera panning around to see things impossible in 1PP or real life, or watching a cinematic type experience game instead of actually being in it with 1PP?

Yes add 3PP for those who want it but is there really enough asking for it, I mean actual players not those who just talk on these forums but do not play anymore? Say if 50% of the current players still really playing ask, they should consider the extra work, if it's only say 25% of those who are still playing why should they do it?

The game needs more work now that does not need 3PP getting in the way. So many have said it, 2 years? ago CDPR said it was to be 1PP, why keep going on about it? I never follow new game hype but I do Google if it has 1PP or 3PP with every game I look at to decide if I even buy it.

If It's 3PP I watch game play videos if it looks possible from the camera angle I may give it a go. if it's like Witcher 3 watching his backside a lot of the time (which some of my game friends love) I know I'll struggle but I did give it a fair try TBH.

A solid Mod Community like Bethesda, well that may make the difference with longevity, not 3PP but it would not hurt if the Dev could add it in, the Mod 3PP so far looks awful.
I'd say that the modding community developed as a result of the 3PP. A million useless clothing/hair mods? But that's how it grows. Many shoot arrows from 1PP, but run around in 3PP.

I'd say that the modding community developed as a result of the 3PP. A million useless clothing/hair mods? But that's how it grows. Many shoot arrows from 1PP, but run around in 3PP.

You are joking Yes? I have every mod worth having since Morrowind backed up just in case, including building, landscape, player homes, armour and weapons graphic upgrades and custom, face, hair, etc, etc, etc and it's all for a quick glance to see what it looks like and maybe for a good screenshot to display. I have so many back up Drives/CD's/DVD's it's ridiculous.

I mod like hell been with the MA community for decades, with some teams individual sites, mostly the members all play 1PP even when we changed the way Fallout PA and Talon gear looked, they still play 1PP. We has a Poll on a FO3 site that had a massive community over 80% played 1PP. Because you can see these changes on other NPC's, don't need to see yourself. I use hair mods that could work on in game NPC, go through and change the ones I want to look different. Hell even my Avatar is a Skyrim custom, only ever seen it in screenshots or 3rd person animation on workbenches.

Morrowind top 100, roughly 85+% are NOT needed for the actual players character, as that's were Beth Mods as we know them today started I beg to differ.

It did change with Oblivion as the Beth's player base grew and consoles became more dominant, as did the Asia MA who turned Beth games into awful sex games. Those mods are only for those who want to drool and not really play. 3PP to ogle the female butt, 1PP if you want to play as if you are the protagonist. When I'm in there that's me, not some bikini arsed female and I play female most the time.

Oh come on, over the years many, many Beth gamers who add body mods and bikini armour to certain games have openly admitted they play 3PP just to watch the females backside or the bikini. What other reason could there be for it, I don't object to it being there but see nothing useful for immersion. There is cheating with the camera panning around to see things impossible in 1PP or real life, or watching a cinematic type experience game instead of actually being in it with 1PP?

Yes add 3PP for those who want it but is there really enough asking for it, I mean actual players not those who just talk on these forums but do not play anymore? Say if 50% of the current players still really playing ask, they should consider the extra work, if it's only say 25% of those who are still playing why should they do it?

The game needs more work now that does not need 3PP getting in the way. So many have said it, 2 years? ago CDPR said it was to be 1PP, why keep going on about it? I never follow new game hype but I do Google if it has 1PP or 3PP with every game I look at to decide if I even buy it.

If It's 3PP I watch game play videos if it looks possible from the camera angle I may give it a go. if it's like Witcher 3 watching his backside a lot of the time (which some of my game friends love) I know I'll struggle but I did give it a fair try TBH.
If you think I've spend 100's of hours staring at Geralt's buttocks.... (or Max Payne's, Niko Bellic's .... I can go on for a while)
While playing with a female character it might happen on occasion, honestly I don't see nothing wrong with taking a glimpse now and then.
But stating at a 3rd person based topic that such thing is the only benefit you can see in 3rd person view is downright narrow minded.
Of course I don't speak for everyone who like 3rd person, but I still speak for many.
Post automatically merged:

Now I speak for myself. While I like playing games with a female character, the lore-breaking skimpy versions are the least interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom