Why is there influencers in Cyberpunk 2077?

+
Something I wish they'd quit doing. It does take me out of the game when it looks like a celebrity wankfest.

Exactly, same for me. The only one I am aware of is Angry Joe, but just because he very briefly mentioned it in one of his video. If you do not kwnow them, you will not distinguish them from normal actors.

I do not understand why some people are so bothered by this. Maybe they know and recognize some influencers but hate them?

Hey! I recognized Hideo Kojima!

I had no idea he was in the game and then saw him. The only reason I knew it was him is because I've followed his work since the first Metal Gear game.... A long, long time ago. :cry:

Otherwise I wouldn't even have noticed him, like most probably didn't.

I cannot stand 'celebrity' culture and the mindless obsession that has grown up around these overpaid personalities representing $ potential because of their 'fame'. I was entirely disappointed to see how the whole Keanu fetish literally overtook the entire original purpose of this (what was to be visionary) game and even more saddened by how much was dumped wholesale or left in game incomplete. We lost out on because the entire concept, story and gameplay was hastily re-written to accommodate the great God of Silverhand.

Looking back, I blame this obsession and the pandering to Keanu's ego, and short sighted greed on the part of the management for the eventual launch fiasco which has ruined CDPR's public image, discredited the game and resulted in us all getting a nerfed, perverted and inferior copy of the product we expected to be enjoying. We observed a troubled release riddled with glitches, a livid fan base, refunds for potentially millions of players and a possible class-action lawsuit. The game is still a beautiful visual feast yes, but lacking in so much promised content, depth, player engagement and the ground breaking features that were hyped so heavily. One of the most visible disasters in the history of video games.

If I had the chance to say anything face to face to Keanu about his involvement (and fair share of the blame for ruination) for this game it would be in the tone of Agent Smith where I would blame celebrity obsession as 'the virus' that resulted in a sick and wounded version of the promised world.

So before the game even released, everybody who has asked to be in the game world told in they're platforms that they are gonna be in the game. Sure it will create even more buzz around the game, but do we really need this?

To me this is useless that they use they're worktime creating "famous" npc's in the game then actually using that time to fix the game mechanics that players actually need. It's crazy to think that we have for example: simplistic AI (traffic, cops, normal NPC's etc), twins all over the map, worldmap with actual holes, items you cannot pick but have symbols for picking and not to even mention all bug's and glitches evem on PC. I have to save and load the game multiple times to fix visual bugs.

All the time I want to say to CDPR that please assign a team that goes through the whole map, every quest, location and item and make a bug list about everything and fix it. And then I see an influences in the middle of this and think to myself.. Is this really where the focus was?

View attachment 11144306
In my mind it looks like a form of bribing or attempting to persuade reviewers and influencers of the product. It was a huge red flag before release and an even bigger one after release.

What do you mean by that?

I'm genuinely asking because it sounds like you blame part of this on Keanu himself. As if he had any say in anything or imposed himself. Is that what you mean?

yes I do, he was hired for a high profile but small content cameo part in 3rd person scenes but he personally lobbied and pushed the studios for more involvement wanting to be the game focus, ( this is all documented in the media) so of course they went nuts for this seeing the vast $ pre -order potential for a Keanu endorsed product... (which worked) Thus a hasty 18 months away from completion they completely re-engineered the whole story to accomodate Johnny Silverhand as the central character (with V as a virtual 'side-kick') that we we know and hate today.

This was a giant mistake and hard working devs were overnight forced to drop content they had worked on towards a visionary game standard, throw it in the bin, and accommodate an entirely new story and outcome. Hence the disastrous launch, millions of unhappy players, class law suits and yet a record pre-order revenue. No, this is not my personal 'anti Keanu' rant, its been highly documented by reviewers, gaming press, and media articles. I stand by my assertion that Keanu ruined this game.

yes I do, he was hired for a high profile but small content cameo part in 3rd person scenes but he personally lobbied and pushed the studios for more involvement wanting to be the game focus, ( this is all documented in the media) so of course they went nuts for this seeing the vast $ pre -order potential for a Keanu endorsed product... (which worked) Thus a hasty 18 months away from completion they completely re-engineered the whole story to accomodate Johnny Silverhand as the central character (with V as a virtual 'side-kick') that we we know and hate today.

This was a giant mistake and hard working devs were overnight forced to drop content they had worked on towards a visionary game standard, throw it in the bin, and accommodate an entirely new story and outcome. Hence the disastrous launch, millions of unhappy players, class law suits and yet a record pre-order revenue. No, this is not my personal 'anti Keanu' rant, its been highly documented by reviewers, gaming press, and media articles. I stand by my assertion that Keanu ruined this game.

But you do realize that he couldn't possibly force them?

CDPR, at any point, could've completely removed his role from the game if they wanted to or simply said no if they didn't want more of him in the game. Furthermore, forcing himself into a bigger role just doesn't fit EVERYTHING we know of the guy. There are dozen upon dozen of stories, most are proven too, about how great of a person he is. It simply doesn't fit what we know of his character at all.

He apparently talked them into giving him more lines. With his reputation, and how often he's proven he doesn't really care about money, I wouldn't be surprised if he did it for very little money.

Anyway, regardless of his personality, it was up to CDPR to either say no to him or to adjust things in a smarter way. Assuming the rumors about scrapped work are true.

Bottom line, I think your anger is misplaced and should be aimed at CDPR. They had final say in everything.

I don't know who any of the influencers are so it doesn't really bother me. I'm more bothered by Keanu. I think he's a solid actor, but having such a larger-than-life personality being that large a part of the game really detracts from the immersion and game's atmosphere. They would have been better served casting someone who nobody really knew to play silverhand.

I don't know who any of the influencers are so it doesn't really bother me. I'm more bothered by Keanu. I think he's a solid actor, but having such a larger-than-life personality being that large a part of the game really detracts from the immersion and game's atmosphere. They would have been better served casting someone who nobody really knew to play silverhand.

Now that I partially agree with.

The guy is obviously a great person but I think he's rather flat as an actor, even more so as a voice actor.. Him being Silverhand doesn't bother me as far as immersion most of the time but his performance varies greatly and when it goes to that flat zone of his I'm immediately reminded of Keanu.

They would've been better off hiring an experienced voice actor.

But you do realize that he couldn't possibly force them?

CDPR, at any point, could've completely removed his role from the game if they wanted to or simply said no if they didn't want more of him in the game. Furthermore, forcing himself into a bigger role just doesn't fit EVERYTHING we know of the guy. There are dozen upon dozen of stories, most are proven too, about how great of a person he is. It simply doesn't fit what we know of his character at all.

He apparently talked them into giving him more lines. With his reputation, and how often he's proven he doesn't really care about money, I wouldn't be surprised if he did it for very little money.

Anyway, regardless of his personality, it was up to CDPR to either say no to him or to adjust things in a smarter way. Assuming the rumors about scrapped work are true.

Bottom line, I think your anger is misplaced and should be aimed at CDPR. They had final say in everything.

I Do blame CDPR in the main. I am not saying he acted maliciously or greedily but they jumped on his vanity (even he has that) and amplified his interest for the game and manipulated EVERYTHING to cash in on him, to the extent they actually ruined their own creative product and alienated their consumers all for the almighty $ power in having such a high profile celeb as the 'front' man of the game... let's say that 'indirectly' Keanu ruined the game then. This whole concept as the OP pointed out indicates how seriously flawed and unwise was the premise of prioritising a celebrity over actually keeping to your creative promises. Had they had that clarity and strength not to lose their brains over someone famous, and still deliver a masterpiece of a visionary game ahead of anything else we have seen and bought, we would not all be saying this

I Do blame CDPR in the main. I am not saying he acted maliciously or greedily but they jumped on his vanity (even he has that) and amplified his interest for the game and manipulated EVERYTHING to cash in on him, to the extent they actually ruined their own creative product and alienated their consumers all for the almighty $ power in having such a high profile celeb as the 'front' man of the game... let's say that 'indirectly' Keanu ruined the game then. This whole concept as the OP pointed out indicates how seriously flawed and unwise was the premise of prioritising a celebrity over actually keeping to your creative promises. Had they had that clarity and strength not to lose their brains over someone famous, and still deliver a masterpiece of a visionary game ahead of anything else we have seen and bought, we would not all be saying this

I doubt he wanted to be more involved because of his vanity. From what we know it's because he loved the role. That explanation fits everything we know about him much more. We are talking about a man who blushes like a 5 year old when he's told he's the internet boyfriend. Humble and down to earth is how everyone describes him. I don't follow any stars, him included, and I try to steer clear of any of that star veneration cult that is so popular these days but I love hearing stories about Keanu cause the guy is just wholesome.

If anything, it's CDPR that was star struck and it's entirely their fault for choosing star power over their own teams' creativity. Again, that's assuming there is any truth to the scrapped work rumors which at this point are still only that - rumors.

I doubt he wanted to be more involved because of his vanity. From what we know it's because he loved the role. That explanation fits everything we know about him much more. We are talking about a man who blushes like a 5 year old when he's told he's the internet boyfriend. Humble and down to earth is how everyone describes him. I don't follow any stars, him included, and I try to steer clear of any of that star veneration cult that is so popular these days but I love hearing stories about Keanu cause the guy is just wholesome.

If anything, it's CDPR that was star struck and it's entirely their fault for choosing star power over their own teams' creativity. Again, that's assuming there is any truth to the scrapped work rumors which at this point are still only that - rumors.

I never thought much of his acting chops but I have nothing but respect for the man.

I never thought much of his acting chops but I have nothing but respect for the man.

Yeah, I wish they had hired an experienced voice actor instead. Someone that could deliver the same kind of stellar performance that Cherami Leigh delivered for female V. It would drastically changed Silverhand's character.

Yeah, I wish they had hired an experienced voice actor instead. Someone that could deliver the same kind of stellar performance that Cherami Leigh delivered for female V. It would drastically changed Silverhand's character.

Yeah his performance is bit hit and miss. Some of his lines are delivered spectacularly but others sound like he was forced to read a script without having the time to get into character.

If I hadn't read some article about some e-celebs making their way into the game, I wouldn't have noticed anyway. And if that article hadn't shown some examples, I wouldn't have known those examples either.
Now that I do know, I think I know of some ~20 NPCs that are (probably) these e-celebs, half of them from the examples I've seen, the other half because they have a more persisant appearance than most other NPCs when running into them again.
Still wouldn't know the names of their real life counterparts though, nor whatever they may do in real life. Doesn't interest me too much, but doesn't bother me in game either.
Overall, I think it was very clever marketing, which shows what the modellers are capable of (but sadly, we aren't, as the players' customization options are rather limited)

Why do people say NPC's are brain dead.
1. I've seen NPC's run for dear life after pulling out an assault rifle.
2. I've had NPC's also react to me acting weird or shoving them aside.

However, this doesn't happen consistently which makes them appear dumb/braindead.
I think it's more a matter of being bugged than braindead. I used to be a QA and saw systems literally break from one
build to the next.

The cops are totally broken though. The very system was obviously crammed in the game at the last minute.

Top Bottom