Will CDPR ever respond to lack of RPG Mechanics and lack of choices?

+
The 48min trailer as we have all seen talks about choices mattering and non-linear approach to missions and the devs talked about that as well in numerous interviews.
The game only has one mission that delivers on that front and its the one mission we see in that 48min trailer and the choices made there has near no bearing on the story of the game at all, there was no "ripple through the gaming world" at all. All CDPR has talked about are the bugs and performance issues. I feel bamboozled and I think CDPR should talk about this issue. The game is NOTHING like the 48min trailer all other missions are completely linear with no choices whatsoever. The only choice is which ending you want at the very end and thats obvious because the choices made there won't affect the gaming world because the game ends, total cope out. CDPR should issue a statement about this cause honestly I do feel tricked.

RPG mechanics are non existent as well, in any RPG the strive for better loot and upgrades is a must, that does not exist in this game whatsover. The combat is a poor shooter with enemies that provide no challenge at all, and stealth is too OP which negates any leveling up. The game should should have had turn based combat with deep RPG mechanics. This is just first person GTA.

Last edited:
I don't think they will.

How far all I have heard from them is how the story is set in stone and they are happy with it.

They have no intention whatsoever to change this aspect.

Including freedom of choice/gravity to your personal choice would ruin or endanger their prescious story.

For the story it doesn't matter how you handled the gangs. How you dealt with the fixers. If you were stealthy or a cyberpsycho.

The way they talked about the game has letting me hope for something similar to new vegas...but I was ultimately too fooled by their empty promises and lies.

Last edited:
They can't because they have legal action taken against them. Anything said could be incriminating. They have their own local trade body investigating and watching the following developments to see if they will do what they have promised to fix the bugs. As long as the game is in a playable state for the majority they can't be touched. The class action lawsuits probably won't see anything come of it at the moment as everything hinges on translation of what was said in the run up to release. The majority of promises made are in the game albeit extremely thin.

I very much doubt if they'll ever own it, idk if they can admit the failures among the successes. My hope is they'll let their work speak for them and just pound through cut content. This game is pretty fun and the city and some of the characters are amazing, but it's not the ground-breaking instant classic they advertised because of all the holes that are, well, everywhere.

Really it's down to pride in their work and respect for their consumers. Leadership, humility, a willingness to admit mistakes and the wisdom to learn from them... these are what CDPR needs to get through this without losing market confidence altogether. If they fix the AI issues and roll out free(cut) content before they extend the endings I think most players will not only forgive them but shower them with love. Instead they seem to have brushed their hands and declared it perfect while trying to Jedi mind trick us with "demo feature" double speak about missing features that aren't new to the industry and were advertised for the game.

Why do we need a modding community to get a mini map that zooms out as we accelerate? If that's the way things are, why not open up more tools for them?

Hard to speculate on any response from them right now. Give it some time, their response could be more than just words...
They have nothing better to do than to make the game better than it's released state :cool:
...I think

Guest 4375874

The 48min trailer as we have all seen talks about choices mattering and non-linear approach to missions and the devs talked about that as well in numerous interviews.
The game only has one mission that delivers on that front and its the one mission we see in that 48min trailer and the choices made there has near no bearing on the story of the game at all, there was no "ripple through the gaming world" at all. All CDPR has talked about are the bugs and performance issues. I feel bamboozled and I think CDPR should talk about this issue. The game is NOTHING like the 48min trailer all other missions are completely linear with no choices whatsoever. The only choice is which ending you want at the very end and thats obvious because the choices made there won't affect the gaming world because the game ends, total cope out. CDPR should issue a statement about this cause honestly I do feel tricked.

RPG mechanics are non existent as well, in any RPG the strive for better loot and upgrades is a must, that does not exist in this game whatsover. The combat is a poor shooter with enemies that provide no challenge at all, and stealth is too OP which negates any leveling up. The game should should have had turn based combat with deep RPG mechanics. This is just first person GTA.
The game should be turn based now? LOL these suggestions get more hilarious with every passing day. In any case I read your first line and it gives me the impression this is another troll post for clicks so I decided against reading the rest. I don't think linear means what you think it does so you should probably look into that so you have a better understanding for discussion. The game doesn't force you to play missions in a linear way.

The main story is not going to change now. And there will be no updates regarding how your choices affect the world.
But maybe in New expansions they can introduce a more flexible story with more elaborate choices and consequences like Blood and Wine.

There are plenty of rpg elements and choices to make. How will you approach the mission? sneak, hack, melee, snipe, ignore it completely? Do you choose to spare life or execute whenever you have the chance? How will you build your character? lots of rpg element there. Do all your choices have an impact on the end of the game? NO, cause it's not a fucking life simulator. It's a story driven action rpg.

CDPR initially marketed the game as the next generation/level in RPG gaming. They then changed the game's genre after its release to it being an action adventure. Your question answered, the way I see it. :)

There are plenty of rpg elements and choices to make. How will you approach the mission? sneak, hack, melee, snipe, ignore it completely? Do you choose to spare life or execute whenever you have the chance? How will you build your character? lots of rpg element there. Do all your choices have an impact on the end of the game? NO, cause it's not a fucking life simulator. It's a story driven action rpg.

I think one of the issues that a lot of us have is that only two relationships matter in any way to the endings(Johnny and Panam), and nothing you do affects the world in any way. In W3 at least you were clearing infested hamlets that could then be populated with merchants and such. Nothing we do matters to NC at all aside from the damage we allegedly did to Arasoka by destroying their soul prison? There are a few counter examples... the missions that return cars for completion/sparing the right person are an example. I hope that this is a foundation that they can begin to hang the cut content on as the get it finished, but if they skip car customization, street level events, apartments, and all other omitted things they've been trumpeting for four years the world will never breathe. That was the thing that was supposed to set cp2077 ahead of everything else... a living city.

Instead we have police that will murder you for walking too close to them and teleport behind you for murdering a hobo alone in the desert. Crowds that cower in a syncronized crouch because I double jumped and gangers that can't hear anything but gunfire, the source of which they can instantly pinpoint. We all know the game is fun, but you can't play for more than 10 minutes without finding something unfinished. Take a Caliburn to 200 and watch that minimap. All we want is for CDPR to say "Yes, there are missing pieces, and we're going to make them awesome and give them to you."

To me the game seems really like two different beasts put into one.

On one hand, we have "main" game, meaning the story bits (be it main story or important side characters quests - all of these quests make the main narrative experience of the game). This "main" game is beautifully crafted with great unique animations, great sceneries, great characters, strong production values, wonderful designs, etc.

On the other hand, we have everything built around it to support the main game, be it the open world, the gameplay, the user experience (UI, user friendly features, etc).

The problem right now is that, those two compartments feel closed and don't communicate between each other at all (or on very rare occasions). Which is the reason why, in my opinion, some people aren't having the feeling of playing an RPG. Especially if you're a player looking for a "gamey" experience over a narrative one.

I enjoyed the story and its characters, and I don't care about the open world (I'm playing games for the "narrative" experience first and foremost), so I was satisfied with what I got, but I've got to admit there are very few (euphemism) connections between the "main game" and the "open world".
Very limited interactivity, no visible consequences on the open world when you finish quests, no radical changes to areas throughout the campaign. There are some foundations, some details, some extra lines of dialog proving that there is some work done (or unachieved work). But not enough to really notice if you breeze through the game quicky without paying good attention.

I understand why some players may want more of that. Definitely, the game would improve greatly from having those two closed compartments communicate more with each other.

In any case, it is an RPG to my eyes because it puts me in the shoes of an other person and it gives me some agency, from the dialogs I can answer to the way I can tackle a mission gameplay wise. I also prefer playing an already established character (this is why I loved the Witcher as a whole so much) instead of playing a blank sheet. It forces me to be someone else and to step out of my comfort zone. I'm an avid TT player and DM so it might be the reason why I lean naturally towards that. The atmosphere, the good dialogs and characters, along with the background scenery, make up for the lack of "playable" interactivity. My mind just picks it up and fill the blanks where the game lacks interactivity.

Last edited:
i'm kinda baffled by this post... Demo missions are exactly the same in game as they were in demo... all choices are possible here, and you can deal with Maelstrom multiple ways and its up to player what he wants to do.. (Kill Royce and free Brick, leave Royce alive and pay with own money, decode the Militech chip and pay with it, not remove malware and pay with it... kill everybody (royce and brick)... so what choices were taken away???

And for rest of the content, there ARE multiple possible approaches for every single GIG or mission.. each one of them has option to be approached several different ways.. but its up to player to figure these out. (Just recently i saved Saul completely different way as in previous playthroughts (nobody saw us, nobody chased us), and there are still places in that base i did not visit so i dont doubt there are more)

As my grandmother sometimes said: "making butter of shit" :D . I think this is a wisedom born after World War II, nothing to eat, bombed houses and so on.

I know that sounds harsh but the point stand: If you couldn't make a RPG, then let it be a Looter Shooter. So there are many angry people, old customers from the witcher-series. But hey, there are enough FP-Fans ok with it. So why change it.
:shrug:
The only thing: they should cancel the declaration "the industry leader in creating role-playing games"
That's over.

There may be RPG-Elements on a low level. But the Looter-Shooter-Action-Adventure-Vibe is so dominant, that they don't matter. Even if the work.

I think one of the issues that a lot of us have is that only two relationships matter in any way to the endings(Johnny and Panam), and nothing you do affects the world in any way. In W3 at least you were clearing infested hamlets that could then be populated with merchants and such. Nothing we do matters to NC at all aside from the damage we allegedly did to Arasoka by destroying their soul prison? There are a few counter examples... the missions that return cars for completion/sparing the right person are an example. I hope that this is a foundation that they can begin to hang the cut content on as the get it finished, but if they skip car customization, street level events, apartments, and all other omitted things they've been trumpeting for four years the world will never breathe. That was the thing that was supposed to set cp2077 ahead of everything else... a living city.

Instead we have police that will murder you for walking too close to them and teleport behind you for murdering a hobo alone in the desert. Crowds that cower in a syncronized crouch because I double jumped and gangers that can't hear anything but gunfire, the source of which they can instantly pinpoint. We all know the game is fun, but you can't play for more than 10 minutes without finding something unfinished. Take a Caliburn to 200 and watch that minimap. All we want is for CDPR to say "Yes, there are missing pieces, and we're going to make them awesome and give them to you."
There are no consequences to your choices most of the time. Even when there are consequences, they are small and insignificant - most of the time. The real choice is only in the end and even that dont make much difference.

If you spare someone or not - does not matter, no consequence other than not getting money or getting money. If you ignore a mission for example you are actually missing content and I dont know about other players but I for example dont like to do that in a video game.

Witcher 3 was better in that regard - mos of the choices there actually mattered and changed something and had consequences.

Top Bottom