Crafting increases your overall loading times. Don't do it.

+
TLDR;

Don't craft too much as it will increase your loading times and there's no fix except to never craft anything ever.

Hello,

Since the crafting system in this game is broken to heck, I decided to craft white medkits and break them down repeatedly (to farm components), then craft purple medkits and break them down to farm better components.

Since the process is tedious, I set it up that the craft button is a click and not a click+hold, then used an auto clicker to craft while I did something else.

I did this for about 30 minutes, then saved, happy that I had sufficient components to last me a lifetime.

I then died by picking up a corpse, then clicked 'Load Checkpoint'. To my surprise, the screen was black for almost 2 minutes before the game loading screen actually appeared.

I then realized that maybe this is related to the save corruption issue prior to 1.06 patch, where if your save file exceeded some size (due to crafting), it would become corrupt, so I loaded up a save file editor and removed all my of components (not before trying to manually craft things in order to lower the component quantities; spent about an hour trying to grind that down, no luck, too many components) and confident that I had solved the loading problem, I tried loading the game.

Same issue, 2 minute black screen then loading screen for maybe 5 seconds.

I then loaded a save file before I started my crafting marathon, and the black screen only lasted 15 seconds before loading the game.

Anyway, it turns out that the game remembers everything you craft, even if you delete it, remove it, drop it, sell it, use it to craft something else, it always remembers what you did, therefore excessively crafting will ruin your load times permanently.

I can live with 15 seconds of black screen, but not 2 minutes. Don't be like me, don't craft stuff, it's not worth it in the long run because you randomly die by stepping on the wrong pebble.

While this is possible that this is indeed crafting that caused the issue for You, I don't believe that this is an universal problem. I've been crafting a lot, got to level 20 in Crafting, and recently crafted enough green Nekomatas to buy all the cars in game - and I am suffering no ill effects.

Actually, I would be probably more worried about using save editor... :oops:

I think normal crafting would be ok, but I've crafted several thousands of white and purple medkits. I think the more items you craft, the worse it gets.

I'm with Kondaru on this. I've got max Crafting, regularly craft items to clear out vendors' eddies, and generally have done a LOT of crafting with no noticeable issues. Using the save editor sounds like a more likely source of corruption to me

I guess you didn't read my post in order, because I never mentioned using a save editor until after encountering the issue.

I used that to repair what was already broken. I had assumed the number of crafting components is responsible for the issue, thus I attempted to lower their quantity.

The issue happened in normal gameplay, but while exploiting the crafting system to generate a large quantity of resources.

You can disregard my comments if you want, or you can start a fresh game and compare loading times (how long the black screen stays there) to your current save. There should be at least 1 or 2 seconds of black screen, which only increases with time and crafting.

This could have indeed been an issue with save size, but since You are playing with hotfix 1.06 this should probably not be the case. Still, if You are continuing to use saves that bloated beyond 6 MB prior to 1.06 - perhaps this is the reason.

There are some people that believe that such effect is associated with Ryzen hardware. Setting CPU to utilize all cores is supposedly solving it.

Yet others suggest that slow loading / black screen result from faulty game files, and that checking integrity helps.

Etc.

Whatever the case, I have experienced no such effect despise heavy crafting (yes, I've been crafting grenades and medkits as well), and my current file size is close to 7 MB (after more than 150 h on the same character this is hardly surprising).

So again: even if crafting caused the issue for You, this seems to be hardly universal.

I was at 2mb prior to 1.06 since I had already read about the corrupted save files, then updated to 1.06 since they solved the issue, however, the speed at which they fixed it, and knowing that this same issue already existed in Witcher 3, I believe the fix to have been some temporary increase of limits somewhere, and the problem is still there, just more difficult to reach. I say that from the point of view of someone who works in the industry and understand what happens with quick/emergency patches.

That doesn't mean I am correct, though. Could very well be my system and how I play the game.

I'm on Intel, so it's not that. I also have barely progressed any of the storylines past meeting Johnny. I'm 50+hrs in of exploring and crafting. Maybe I'm not meant to have seen so many things at such an early phase of the game, so my dis-order has thrown the game off.

I knew I did a mission in my own way and ended up getting stuck somewhere because I did not do things in the order the game wanted me to, so I am definitely not playing how the game wants me to either.

I guess time will tell. Hopefully they resolve this before it becomes a big issue, if it ever does.

I think normal crafting would be ok, but I've crafted several thousands of white and purple medkits. I think the more items you craft, the worse it gets.

Ive got full 20 points in tech and crafting. Ive crafted a ton of legend, epic, and rare items just to break them down again for the mats. Ive had no loading issues at all. Im not sure if the crafting theory is accurate with the loading times. It could possibly be related to something in the game....but crafting isnt it...from my perspective anyway.

@oldblivion1
yes...
thats was also the original problem why savegames got corupted (8mb)...
everytime you craft something, it adds a line on your savegame...
so imagine how much people did craft to reach the new limit of 14mb save size
its also a known issue...

why not just use a console command or cheat..
then dooing that crafting abuse for hours

I got to crafting level 20 mostly dismantling stuff and after that I crafted quite a few legendary items and I've never experienced anything weird to be honest. I have to add that I ended up having more than 1,000 legendary, epic and rare components each (more than 30,000 common and uncommon components) and I never had a corrupt save except an autosave at the end when I'd been playing for more than 8 hours and my game crashed (but fortunately I save a lot xD).

@VirNR
dismantling or picking up isnt a problem
crafting new items is
people craft like tenthousends of guns to sell them (they make more money then the componets cost)
if you ask me...
CDPR should just decrese the money you get from crafted items so you cant abuse it (same sell prize as buy prize of componets)

Last edited:
@VirNR
dismantling or picking up isnt a problem
crafting new items is
people craft like tenthousends of guns to sell them (they make more money then the componets cost)
if you ask me...
CDPR should just decrese the money you get from crafted items so you cant abbuse it (same sell prize as buy prize of componets)

As I said I crafted quite a few legendary items. In fact, I crafted every legendary item (and other epic items that had no legendary blueprint, or maybe I just didn't find them) mostly to try them out and I didn't notice anything at all. I didn't bother with crafting for money because I didn't find it necessary :shrug:

I craft and i got 20 engineer :0 I not got issue on load game. But I not bug out craft like craft a tons of gun sel to NPC :0

anyway . Who the heck do that silly thing . since you able to get 22k bulk in 5 min . or around 10 - 15 min per cycle include time
for craft resuppply stuff after battle :/

well . is suspect your hack program is curse an issue. remove that thing out :0

cheer

@VirNR
CDPR should just decrese the money you get from crafted items so you cant abuse it (same sell prize as buy prize of componets)
The thing is that this is an intended way to make money. Even crafting skill level 20 is exactly about that: Your crafted items can be sold for more Eddies.

Plus I doubt it would be reasonably possible to buy all the cars without crafting for money. :sad:

This is correct. I did some *serious* crafting using/abusing the unbalanced cost vs reward by disassembling (rare/epic) grenades/stims. We're talking 10-20k (instant crafting mod + auto-clicker). This to make up for another game I had to ditch because it got what I consider another game-breaking bug. For me, it's currently at 30 sec black screen before the stupid game decides to load normally. Checked earlier saves and the wait got progressively worse.

correct
thats because everything you craft increases the size of the savegame...
its all over this forum, that abusing the crafting destroys your savegame at some point
why not just use a cheat/console command?

also, if you play the game normal.. its realy hard... exept for hacking.. hacking is OP

Last edited:
correct
thats because everything you craft inceses the size of the savegame...
its all over this forum, that abusing the crafting destroys your savegame at some point
why not just use a cheat/console command?

also, if you play the game normal.. its realy hard... exept for hacking.. hacking is OP
CDPR pretty much blamed duping for the issue. This a rather transparent attempt to share the blame for a broken game with broken players. Like many others, I did it this way because outright cheating cheapens the game for me. But I disliked waiting for what I had earned in my other game broken by yet another bug.

The game, apart from the somewhat broken boxing matches, is anything but hard though. The assault rifles/smgs route (outside of smart variants that make up for it with accuracy+headshots) is probably the least broken (weakest) due to how armor is implemented (very strongly biased towards hard hitting accurate weapons). But everything can be OP pretty soon.

In the end it doesn't really matter if you hit for 10k, 100k, 1 mill or even 100+ mill (as is possible right now). Nor does it matter if you quickhack everything to death without lifting a finger, obliterate everything in near permanent slow motion before enemies can even react, or shoot through the thickest of walls with tech weapons - all while being totally safe. It's all broken beyond belief if you know what you do.

Last edited:
It is a failing hardware or something else that caused you extreme loading time.
For game engine, 1 medkit vs 9999999medkit is same thing, having too many don't increase your save file or loading time. It is just a number that game engine reads.

@gokmenique
correct
but as the devs said when this problem was encounterd..
every item you craft gets a line in the savegame file thats sayes what and when it was crafted
even if you destroy or sell the items, the history of that still exists in the file
i did have a file size of ~5mb at the end... some have 14mb+ due to crafting and a destroyed savefile

@gokmenique
correct
but as the devs said when this problem was encounterd..
every item you craft gets a line in the savegame file thats sayes what and when it was crafted
even if you destroy or sell the items, the history of that still exists in the file
i did have a file size of ~5mb at the end... some have 14mb+ due to crafting and a destroyed savefile
This just points at either a deeper flaw with CDPR's own game engine, and/or smacks of more obfuscation rather than to admit they delivered a hot buggy mess. I don't know which is worse, but deserving of criticism most certainly!

Top Bottom