Will CDPR ever respond to lack of RPG Mechanics and lack of choices?

+
Given the anger and frustration among the community, the lawsuits, and how gaming journalists have savaged them, any statement they make will be like sticking their junk in a sausage maker.

Silence is golden to them now, expect no communications beyond what is absolutely required. I bet the lawyers are running the PR department now.

Do you want to test some "choices" in the game?

Go during the Heist mission not out to the balcony but on upwards towards the heliport.

Obvious spoilers...duh

Defeat the two sumo sakas, grap the unique Katana then go to the railing facing north towards the sea.

Make a save game, otherwise you will not be able to play the game without mods/cheats.

Jump on the railing, careful, don't fall off.

Run as fast as you can towards the edge of the building and jump into the sea.

Yes, the jump is doable even without any exploits or cyberwears. You now successfully escaped Konpeki Plaza and can roam Watson.

Do side-missions go home, take a shower etc.

The main mission will be stuck.

Jackie won't move from his spot on the roof.

No matter how often you go to bed, sleep, wait or whatever.

You have to trigger the sequence and get fucked and killed.

Hurray for freedom of choice I guess.

All you can do is loading the save file or going back to the top using mods/cheats/exploits.

Have fun!

Go during the Heist mission not out to the balcony but on upwards towards the heliport.

Obvious spoilers...duh

Defeat the two sumo sakas, grap the unique Katana then go to the railing facing north towards the sea.

Make a save game, otherwise you will not be able to play the game without mods/cheats.

Yes, the jump is doable even without any exploits or cyberwears. You now successfully escaped Konpeki Plaza and can roam Watson.

All you can do is loading the save file or going back to the top using mods/cheats/exploits.

Have fun!
Don't know what is the craziest about this : that it works, or that someone actually found it worked.

I know it didn't really impact the main quest and it wasn't supposed to
In my opinion, that one side story had more choice consequence than anything in CP 2077.

*edit*
In other words, That quests story was completely different depending on what options you chose. In CP 2077, the quest stories stays the same no matter what options you chose.

Again, not really.. a lot of quests have impact later on, like for example the whole Maelstrom situation in the beginning or decision what to do about Jackie.. similarly, side quests for certain character impacts the game ending quite significantly, because based on your choices they either support you, or hate you.. (yes, not many players played a bad person who betrays his friends, but option is actually there)
Main problem is, people expected every single quest in this game to have impact somewhere down the line, but that would be quite problematic to track everything properly..
Post automatically merged:

Obvious spoilers...duh

Have fun!

But thats just a bug... realistically, jumping from a skyscrapper into water is the same as jumping on a paved street... you would be killed by impact no matter what.... so good for you, you discovered a path QA team did not anticipated...

I remember when the biggest "controversy" they had to deal with was Witcher 3 downgrade which was a fact no arguing there. But obviously game development is complicated and stuff happens, in the end the game was great so those people complaining were quickly drowned out. Though the interesting bit about this was that even 3 years later, after their big succusses i was seeing interviews with people from managment still salty about people who were complaining about the downgrade years ago, they never really admitted it. Throwing shade against people feeling lied too. Now look at the stuff people feel lied to with Cyberpunk. It's 10x that shitstorm. I see immense arrogance with the people in charge/managment. I remember them throwing shades at bethesda games and skyrim, "game is shallow". While that very well maybe true they never knew anything about humbleness, underpromise overdeliver. It was always about poking at that popular thing right now and saying we can do it better!

They are already coming out trying to justify or argue against some of the complains, even though its time to be silent and get to work. Managment will never admit it, one because the risk of getting sued even more and second purely because of
managments illusions that they could be deus ex,witcher,gta all at ones and probably even thinking being better then what they do with 500 developers instead of 2000 like gta, slaving them for years and still releasing an uncomplete game. "When its ready" my ass. The developers probably told them hundreds of times the game is not finished they didn't care they will not care now. It's all about protecting themselves of shareholders and people sueing them.

But thats just a bug... realistically, jumping from a skyscrapper into water is the same as jumping on a paved street... you would be killed by impact no matter what.... so good for you, you discovered a path QA team did not anticipated...

We're talking about a game set in a future where your entire body can be replaced by cybernetic enhancements.

I think "realistically" took a dive off that same skyscraper a while ago ;)

Guest 4375874

i'm kinda baffled by this post... Demo missions are exactly the same in game as they were in demo... all choices are possible here, and you can deal with Maelstrom multiple ways and its up to player what he wants to do.. (Kill Royce and free Brick, leave Royce alive and pay with own money, decode the Militech chip and pay with it, not remove malware and pay with it... kill everybody (royce and brick)... so what choices were taken away???

And for rest of the content, there ARE multiple possible approaches for every single GIG or mission.. each one of them has option to be approached several different ways.. but its up to player to figure these out. (Just recently i saved Saul completely different way as in previous playthroughts (nobody saw us, nobody chased us), and there are still places in that base i did not visit so i dont doubt there are more)
yup. I went all the way behind the facility through a sandstorm to sneak in, went on the roof. Got Saul and left. Not a single shot fired or alarm raised. On my next playthrough I fully intend to light the place on fire. So this guys entire post joins the list of internet "game developers" who think they know more than the CDPR. Frankly no matter what the game looked like they'd find something to complain about because clicks and views. There's been a significant uptick in streamers posting vids here and that's for a reason. It's the thing to hate on and get likes and views right now. Granted, the devs do deserve some criticism for the bugs and deservedly but these posts are beyond ridiculous.

We're talking about a game set in a future where your entire body can be replaced by cybernetic enhancements.

I think "realistically" took a dive off that same skyscraper a while ago ;)

no because more "chrome" you have on you, heavier you become, but your "surface area" stays the same... so you are actually impacted by gravity a lot more than lighter person... so falling off a skyscrapper is lethal for you...

but thats offtopic..

Anyway i think main problem today is that EVERYBODY these days is a game designer, but nobody knows what that actually involves...

no because more "chrome" you have on you, heavier you become, but your "surface area" stays the same... so you are actually impacted by gravity a lot more than lighter person... so falling off a skyscrapper is lethal for you...

And you're possibly a billions times more resistant.

What about shock absorption cyberware? It's already in the game! Explains it all away.

You see what I mean?

It's like when people complained that Sam from Game of Thrones being fat was unrealistic... in a world of magic and dragons. You're right though, completely off topic.

Guest 4375874

Little examples :
CP2077
-Telling or not telling about Evelyn plan or Telling that you have the biopuce or not : Same result you ate a bullet...
- Whatever the choice you made about Joshua ( sidejob ) : Joshua will end up crucified...
-Etc

TW3
-Freeing the spirit of the hill : Saving the children, destruction of a village, Bloody baron and Anna dead...
-Killing the spirit of the hill : Chirldren will be eaten by the Crones but village safe and Bloody baron and Anna alive..
-Etc...

Huge difference between real choice and illusory choice...
You're basically using a plot point in V's story and comparing it to a W3 side mission that does not play a part in Geralt's story. How does the Baron impact the story? It doesn't and the ppl suffer no matter what you chose to do. There are several such missions in W3 where your choice, no matter what it is, results in the same outcome. Not every mission in W3 is driven by your decision, it's no different in CP2077 except the devs focused on the main quest and those consequences rather than the side quests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, not really.. a lot of quests have impact later on, like for example the whole Maelstrom situation in the beginning or decision what to do about Jackie.. similarly, side quests for certain character impacts the game ending quite significantly, because based on your choices they either support you, or hate you.. (yes, not many players played a bad person who betrays his friends, but option is actually there)
Main problem is, people expected every single quest in this game to have impact somewhere down the line, but that would be quite problematic to track everything properly..

Is it a bug or lazy development ?. I am still trying to understand how the company from The Witcher Series can be this bad, did they do a Bioware and hire a sub par de team/office when they created Andromeda?. Food for thought.

The 48min trailer as we have all seen talks about choices mattering and non-linear approach to missions and the devs talked about that as well in numerous interviews.
The game only has one mission that delivers on that front and its the one mission we see in that 48min trailer and the choices made there has near no bearing on the story of the game at all, there was no "ripple through the gaming world" at all. All CDPR has talked about are the bugs and performance issues. I feel bamboozled and I think CDPR should talk about this issue. The game is NOTHING like the 48min trailer all other missions are completely linear with no choices whatsoever. The only choice is which ending you want at the very end and thats obvious because the choices made there won't affect the gaming world because the game ends, total cope out. CDPR should issue a statement about this cause honestly I do feel tricked.

RPG mechanics are non existent as well, in any RPG the strive for better loot and upgrades is a must, that does not exist in this game whatsover. The combat is a poor shooter with enemies that provide no challenge at all, and stealth is too OP which negates any leveling up. The game should should have had turn based combat with deep RPG mechanics. This is just first person GTA.
I hope they address this and make it much more like that, but I have a terrible feeling that they will slide it under the carpet as it would be to much work and they would rather fix bugs and make expansions. But time will tell.

I think the best hope is for them to release modding tools that allow the community to make their own missions and changes to the game.

With my rescpect to all, you dont like the game? refund it and go to play something else, there a ton of videogame out there

It is actually not that bad with the RPG elements. Especially not if you look at other RPG FPS games. It is way harder to create an enjoyable pure RPG game in FPS games. though I think CP 2077 nailed it in that matter. The only disappointment was the lack of importance of lifepaths, which were supposed to be way bigger, but it didn't really hurt me that much, the story itself completely dragged me in so I just couldn't pay attention to the smaller details

Did you watch the "Our Commitment" video? It seems theyre very happy with the state of the game as is, especially PC (aside from bugs/performance issues on console). So I doubt it.

Im not even sure how they COULD go about expansions, or story dlc, with the way they pigeonholed the mains storyline, and V in the ending.. At best, maybe put act 1 back into the game, and not have it a 30 second cutscene? Then again, the game is short enough, that its nothing to start a new character and play again, if they WRE to add content to the beginning or middle of the game, I guess.

It is actually not that bad with the RPG elements. Especially not if you look at other RPG FPS games. It is way harder to create an enjoyable pure RPG game in FPS games. though I think CP 2077 nailed it in that matter. The only disappointment was the lack of importance of lifepaths, which were supposed to be way bigger, but it didn't really hurt me that much, the story itself completely dragged me in so I just couldn't pay attention to the smaller details
Genuinely curious here. What about this makes it an rpg for you? I admit, I consider character creation, and progression to be a part of it.. But. Thats about all it has. Creation, and a skill tree... Theres not really choices, unless you count the choice whether or not to do a mission at all.. Theres no way to play the bad guy, the nice guy, or even pacifist. You cant talk your way out of anything.. Your playthrough, and mine, will be exactly the same. You may do the quest markers in a different order, but each quest will be the same. You kill everyone, and the outcome will emd the same. At the end, you pick 1 of 7 endings..

Im not trying to argue with you, but I think the term "RPG" may have become so diluted, that simply having a single rpg element, seems to be enough for some to consider it an rpg.. Even the devs now have it as "Action Adventure Game"

Given the anger and frustration among the community, the lawsuits, and how gaming journalists have savaged them, any statement they make will be like sticking their junk in a sausage maker.

Silence is golden to them now, expect no communications beyond what is absolutely required. I bet the lawyers are running the PR department now.
I agree.. While it would be nice to have acknowledgement, its only going to further anger someone, somewhere.. I can confirm, I lost hope after the "Our Commitment" video.

Last edited:
I think folks have brought up some great points. My two cents here is that I don't believe anything in the main story will change. The team is proud of the story and main experience they have crafted (excluding last-gen console performance), but if fan outcry is loud enough, we might get a more open-ended, choice-heavy expansion pack down the line.

Side note - if fan phrasing shifts from "cut content" to "I would like to see this feature added," it's more likely to get implemented. "Cut content" doesn't translate well to developers who constantly iterate and change features during game development (I work in game development).

I think folks have brought up some great points. My two cents here is that I don't believe anything in the main story will change. The team is proud of the story and main experience they have crafted (excluding last-gen console performance), but if fan outcry is loud enough, we might get a more open-ended, choice-heavy expansion pack down the line.

Side note - if fan phrasing shifts from "cut content" to "I would like to see this feature added," it's more likely to get implemented. "Cut content" doesn't translate well to developers who constantly iterate and change features during game development (I work in game development).
The irony is not lost on me, that Im here giving feedback.. But Ive always thought fan input was one of the worst things developers ever adopted. I much prefer they stick to their own vision, and create it with passion.. (ANY input! Shareholders, ceos, publishers, included)

Doubt it, they have to Play Stupid or else they'll be held liable for whatever they say. Especially now with Firm and gov breathing down their Necks looking at every word they say.
Biggest Let down was them Advertising an RPG and come out an Action Adventure. If they just Advertised an Action Adventure I'd be fine with it. Fuck it.
Personally I doubt they'll ever even update the game with any remnants of RPG Elements. What we see is Basically What we Get.
Though for the future that'll be a Different Story. As much as a Disappointment this Game may be, it's the First for it's possible Future Series. Witcher 3 was Amazing because they had 2 Other games to work from. This is Cyberpunks first game, who knows the Possibilities of what they can do in the future, If anything. This will be a MAJOR Learning Experience for them no doubt.

Top Bottom